Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• rkahnrkahn Member Posts: 2
    same problem on my 01 avalon. dealer "chalked" the 2 belts. seemed to help. $60 min charge.
  • dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Stopped at dealer today. For a high volume dealership (West Central Florida) they never heard of the jerky shifting!

Going in on Wednesday morning and want all the ammunition I can get to force a fix.

This TSB deals with the V6 5 speed auto, correct?

My e-mail is in my profice.....

Deke
  • commish1commish1 Member Posts: 30
    What is this TSB for?
    The jerking tranny shifting....

I need it to show the service tech that there IS a problem AND a solution from Toyota. Sure don't want to go through the hassle others have trying to get the repair done.

Deke
  • bob1637bob1637 Member Posts: 2
    Can someone please tell me if this is a normal sound on a 2005 camry le 4 cyl auto? When I put the car into drive and then step on the accelerator in about 1 or 2 seconds i hear a very faint tap or switch sound from under the hood. This only happens once when I first put it into drive and accelerate. Thanks.
  • wyevwyev Member Posts: 1
    how often do i need to check the radiator? when there is water, what shall i do?
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Most likely ABS initation sound. It is normal and nothing to worry about.
  • serene123serene123 Member Posts: 2
    I DISCOVERED 2 DAYS AFTER MY SECOND OIL CHANGE 9,000 MI. AT THE DEALER THAT THERE WAS CORROSION BELOW THE BATTERY DUE TO LEAKAGE. QUITE A BUILDUP. THE DEALER REPLACED THE BATTERY AND CLEANED UP THE CORROSION. SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT ANY OTHER PART OF THE CAR BECAUSE OF THE CORROSION? CAN I REQUEST THE DEALER DOES A COMPLETE CHECK OVER OF THE CAR? DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THAT PLASTIC CONTAINER IS FOR BELOW THE BATTERY, SINCE NO ONE AT THE SERVICE DEPT KNOWS.THEY SAID THE NEW CARS HAVE THEM AND THEY ARE NOT SURE WHAT THEY ARE FOR. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY DON'T KNOW.
  • bob1637bob1637 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the help.
  • moeharrimoeharri Member Posts: 108
    Unfortunately I cannot help you, but I would recommend turning off your caps lock, as it is very annoying and may lead to people not helping you.
  • steveinohiosteveinohio Member Posts: 1
    Hello - My 95 5-sp Camry has a small leak. It is a clear fluid. Looking under the hood, to the left of the radiator, there is a vacuum type hose that fits over a thin metal line. There is no clamp around the hose. The hose goes down under the radiator (Maybe some type of overflow hose?) The fluid is slowly coming out where the metal line goes into this hose. It appears to be leaking on the other side of the car also (same metal line with the hose over it).

Sorry for the vague description. Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks

Steve
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    maybe power steering fluid?
  • tmharmstmharms Member Posts: 1
    HELP...Can someone please help me???? I had someone jump my car last week and it started and I drove it back to work. After work it would not take a jump, that night replaced the battery and still would not start..someone came out and checked the fuses and got it to start. Now, I have no inside power, brake lights, blinkers, will not shift out of park, no radio or clock, speedometer and RPM gage will not work or power windows and locks (i do have dome light, seatbelt light, hazards and chime when I put the key in).. We have checked all fuses and am running out of options, I cannot afford to have the dealer look into it for more than 2 hours. please let me know if you have ANY suggestions
  • commish1commish1 Member Posts: 30
    Is this TSB for the '05 SE V6?
  • investor27investor27 Member Posts: 59
    Hi Cam2003,

As of today, I still didn't get the email document about the belts adjustments. Can you send it again? Thanks.

nvestor27@yahoo.com
  • bassdudebassdude Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I have a manual 1994 camry 4 cylinder. As i accelerate and decelerate it makes a vibration / noise at about 1900 - 2000 revs in every gear... So it has to do with engine speed. Whats making this noise and how can i fix it?

Any help would be great!
    Thanx
    Dave
  • 05camry33se05camry33se Member Posts: 67
    It's probably the sound of the main belt. Every Toyota I've listened to with lo miles has it. If you crack the hood you'll probably see the belt spinning right in time with the sound.

Since the engines tend to be very quiet, especially when new at idling rpm, the belt sound is more noticeable.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Please turn off the caps lock.

Was the corrosion only ON the battery itself and on the plastic tray underneath? If so, there's nothing to worry about.

The plastic tray is simply a battery tray. These used to be made of steel typically, and of course, rusted because of battery leakage.

I can't believe the service people didn't know what it was. I'd say go elsewhere for service if they're that clueless!

If some of the corrosion got to the metal underneath the tray, I'd say to thoroughly hose off the area (not at high pressure, remove the hose nozzle -- you don't want to get water on the engine; also avoid getting water on top of the battery).
  • jmoothjmooth Member Posts: 12
    The solution was indeed rotors (turning them did the trick) and new tires up front. Car now rides smooth as silk. :-)

Jerry
    The TSB mentioned here is for a SPECIFIC transmission and SPECIFIC VIN numbers - NOT ALL V6 5-speed auto Camrys.

The lead mechanic took us for a drive - him driving - and I explained what happened and when. He could not duplicate the problem. We returned to the shop and switched seats. I got it to happen twice at around 10 MPH.

The explanation was what I thought it was all along - catching the tranny at a shift point and the computer processing the input of throttle position and then ordering a downshift.

Same thing at 40+ MPH - if you use light throttle pressure, there will be no downshift. Since I'm a little heavier with the right foot when merging, etc, I confuse the tranny and the computer eventually forces a downshift.

Tech took his time explaining the workings of the car and I understood clearly. I need to change MY driving habits when using the wife's car! Light touch is all thet's necessary.

If you still want to pursue a remedy, you're free, but take it to at least two Toyota dealerships and get a second opinion.

We were not charged for any diagnostics, "shop materials", etc,

On the trip home, I took it easy and was more than satisfied - the V6 has lots of power and is real smooth once you learn how IT should be driven.
  • mad5mad5 Member Posts: 3
    My 10 days old brand new XLE v6 with 200 miles on it has hesitation problems. I am bringing to the dealer in couple of days. From reading posts on this problem, it looks there no fix for it. In case the dealer is not able to fix the problem, I guess I am stuck with it. Right?
  • viveksviveks Member Posts: 17
    I'm hearing similar tap. This comes around 3-5MPH speed when you accelerate first time after starting the car. You mentioned it is coming from under the hood, but to me it sounds more like from rear wheels. If you get any explanatiion from dealer please share with us.

Also anyone else experienced this ?

Thanks
  • piratemanpirateman Member Posts: 18
    Friend of mine has had no HESITATION problems with her brand new Camry..UNTIL she got stuck in a snowbank last month. A male friend of hers had to "rock" the car back and forth, and was stepping extremely hard on the throttle...got the RPM's up high. Good News: He got the car unstuck for her, Bad News: His aggressive throttling has "tricked" the computer in to thinking SHE has changed her driving habits to a more aggressive style. Result: She now has that damm, irratating hesitation problem. It is ridiculous Toyota can't fix this..it was a poor decision to go to this drive by wire system and now they are being stubborn.
  • jet1234jet1234 Member Posts: 16
    What you are describing probably isn't corrosive and probably don't need to have a complete check done. However, I would check why the build-up occured. In your case, it sounds like your battery may be overcharging and would check the voltage draw from the battery.
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    Disconnect neg battery terminal for 5 minutes, this should reset computer to branch new car :)
  • niki1niki1 Member Posts: 52
    Jerry,
    That's great news. Glad to be of assistance. Now if someone could answer my question about my 2005 Camry XLE 4cyl. auto. with the very annoying tapping sound coming from the engine, mainly when in gear?? The vehicle has 300 miles on it, and I took it to the dealership, and they were going to change the intake manifold. This was the fix for the problem, but they did not change it, because they said that I already had the updated manifold. Great!! What do I do now call Toyota?? Please Help If You Can.
    Thanks
    NIKI1
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    Nice post. sounds like a valid explanation to me, I took it very easy on the car the first 1000 miles, very slow acceleration (it wasn't easy!), and now step on it often!

the hesitation has happened to me maybe 3 times in 2 years
    is there another dealer near you? maybe you could start fresh, don't say you were at another dealership
  • bhenrionbhenrion Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me where I can find the fuel pump relay?Ive gone thru the diagnostics to get the pump to run but it still doesnt turn over,might have bitten off more than I can chew on this one
  • boscojijiboscojiji Member Posts: 4
    Help!!! I own a 1995 toyota camry thats stalls once to twice a week. It only stalls during the initial start in the morning but after that, it runs perfectly fine. I did a major tune up but no change. Any suggestions????
  • hatedealershatedealers Member Posts: 9
    I only have 1700 miles on this car and it has lurched with the A/C on almost every time I come to a stop. It feels like someone has hit the car in the rear, the way there is a slight "push" or lurch when I come to a stop.
    I took it in for a check and they said it is "normal."
    I worry that it someday will do more than a slight lurch, that it will surge forward and the brakes won't be able to stop it.
    What can I do about this?
    If you're concerned I wouldn't take the usual "normal" response from them, everything is normal to them, if you can reproduce it, have a mechanic ride with you, also try a different dealer.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    One thing you won't have to worry about -- the brakes will always have enough holding power to keep the car from accelerating out of control. Just make sure you have your foot on the brake and not the gas pedal!

Not to be insulting, but are you letting up slightly on the brake pedal just before the car comes to a full stop? All cars will lurch to some degree if you keep your foot firmly on the pedal right up to the instant the car stops.

Interestingly in a Car and Driver review of the new 2006 BMW 3 series, BMW has added a feature to the braking system that automatically eases up on the brakes just before a stop to prevent the lurch.
  • zone1zone1 Member Posts: 11
    We owned a 1995 2 door Camry DX and had an intermittent fuel smell problem. I never pinpointed the problem, but found that if I topped off the tank at refueling, the problem would pop up. It seems that the fuel will expand in the tank (due to temperature) and push past the cap, or vent. When that happens, you'll get a strong fuel smell.
    You didn't say if your problem seemed to be intermittent, but if it is, you may want to not fill the tank as far and see what effect it has.
    Secondarily, the Camry circulates fuel from the tank to the engine so there are more than one line from the tank to the engine compartment. Some of them are for vapor recovery and such, but the point is that you may have a connection somewhere under the car that isn't liquid or vapor tight. It may be worth the effort to crawl under and eyeball the fuel lines to see if you can see anything that may be causing the problem. It doesn't take a lot of fuel to smell up the cabin. The fuel filter is located on the driver side under the driver seat (outside the cabin, of course) If any of those connections are weeping, they could be the source of the problem.
    Hope this helps.
    I recently purchased a 1999 Camry LE 4 dr. that is equipped with daytime running lights (DRL). The odd thing is that the system totally ignores the headlight switch on the turn signal lever and instead relies solely on the light sensor on the passenger side dashboard. I don't know if that's normal or not.

But, I have a problem that I think may be related: During the day when just the DRL are on, the turn signals operate normally. However, as soon as the lights go to night time mode with headlights on full and tail lights illuminated, when used the right turn signal flashes very fast, as if a bulb is burned out. I've checked all the bulbs both at night and during the day and they are all working.
    This isn't a big problem, but I'd like to fix it if I knew how. Anyone have any suggestions?
    The driver and front passenger door armrests on our 1999 Camry LE are bulging out, causing a gap around the window/lock switch plates. It seems that the foam core has separated from the hard plastic spine in the armrest, and a gap has resulted. I've looked at other '99's and have seen similar problems.

Is anyone aware of a fix for this? (Everything still works fine; its a cosmetic problem but one that really detracts from the look of the interior)
    I own a 2001 Tundra V8 2WD and it does the same thing on occasion. I don't think the problem is in your brakes. Assuming you have an automatic transmission, I believe it's coming from the transmission. As you slow down using the brakes the transmission doesn't stay synchronized with the wheels. So, there is a slight "disengagement" if you will, where the car is rolling faster than the transmission. Once the car stops, the torque converter "catches up" and re-engages, and thus you get a "Thunk" as if someone just bumped into you from behind. You feel it more when the A/C is on because the engine is idling faster.
    My truck will do the same thing stopping, and going around a corner. As I come out of the corner and accelerate, there is a "bump" as the transmission and axle re engage.
    I know I don't offer any fix here, but hopefully this points you in the right direction.
    on and the car has come to a stop the idle is being turned up suddenly.
    This causes the car to lurch.
    I don't know, should I just try to get used to it?
    If they were to fix this, I believe the electronic idle control would need to be replaced.
    It lurches AFTER the car is stopped.
    I am doing nothing in particular to the brake pedal, just stepping on it firmly enough to keep the car stopped.
    Well, I know it is a bother, and every time my truck does it, I grumble about it. But, I've never gotten mine fixed, and I'm not certain that the Toyota dealer here could do it. I have a bad taste from them so I guess I put up with more than I should, although I've got to say the truck has been outstanding in all other respects.
    My wife had a Camry that the oil light would come on momentarily almost every time the car was coming to a stop. The problem was the oil pick-up tube was cavatating, and that was a result of having the dealer replace the timing belt and oil gaskets.
    But every time I took it to them (3) they said they couldn't make it happen. Of course they couldn't! They never moved the car to see what was going on! It would just sit in the lot (I checked the odometer) all day because it was a no money fix, and they didn't want to do it.
    So, if you have a good relationship with your dealer, or know a good mechanic, you might want to have it looked into. But since mine isn't real bad, I've chosen to live with it and just swear under my breath when it happens.
  • niki1niki1 Member Posts: 52
    To All,
    Is anyone else having an annoying valve tapping sound coming from the engine on your 2005 Camry 4 cylinder engine? Mainly when in gear. The dealership tells me that this is normal, and I find that hard to believe that Toyota would design an engine that has this problem. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  • jbleasejblease Member Posts: 1
    All-

my 2001 Camry 2.2 4 cyl starts great, but once warm ithe rpms decrease until stalling at complete stop. Changed fuel filter, oxygen sensor, spark plugs, still doing it. Any thoughts?

Thanks
  • klaudeklaude Member Posts: 2
    I own a 97 Camry 125000 miles, 4 cylinder automatic, the whole car is vibrating as soon i accelerate, even very smoothly ,immediatly stops when i take my foot of the gas pedal, (same feeling as an unbalanced wheel) plugs and tires were replaced but did not help more noticeable around 30-50 mph.
    any help?
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    chk the spark plugs and cylinder to see if you have good compression.
    also, did you have your timing belt changed?

I too have a 97 with 106k miles. But the engine still run fine (touch wood). On my mercury, it had the same problem you mentioned and after a while, the timing belt broke. It had a bad plugs, one of the cylinder couldn't hope compression.

Good luck
  • bkinblkbkinblk Member Posts: 198
    I have a new 2005 V6 XLE. After discovering the weird transmission shifting idiosyncracies, I disconnected the negative battery terminal for 5 minutes. So far, it's much better and shifts more like my 2000. At this point, I don't know how often I will need to do this.
  • cabsavcabsav Member Posts: 1
    this low rattle/chatter type noise appears when car is traveling at speeds greater than 50 mph, i tried to isolate the noise and found out that acceleration/deceleration has no effect as long as you are traveling above 50 mph,
    HOWEVER if you apply the brakes the noise disappears immediately...open to suggestions...thanks
    Every second day to reset ECU! :cry:, but by doing this, it may not do good for ECU in term of voltage surge.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    The lurch is normal when AC is on. The AC compressor cycles on and off and when it turns on, the car idles a little faster. When compressor turns off, faster idle will also turn off. It just happens that many times one will be coming to a stop and the compressor will kick in and a signal is sent to idle faster, causing the lurch. Therefore, nothing to worry about.
    Likely, the brake pads are touching the rotor that made the chatter noise. Try brake cleaner.
  • llewtwollewtwo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Camry with 47,000 highway miles. The air conditioning seems to put out very little cold air. Even after a half-hour of highway driving the temperature doesn't fall much. Any ideas as to the cause. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.