Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Owning a plug-in hybrid

francis_11francis_11 Member Posts: 3
edited October 2017 in General
Something I'd like to know about plug-in hybrids. Is it possible to own one without having to charge it off the wall? Currently living in an apartment building where I don't think it's possible to charge the car in the underground garage. Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Do you want to run an extension cord to the parking lot?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• francis_11francis_11 Member Posts: 3
    I wanted to ask if I can charge it off mainly from the motor without charging it off the wall. I would ask my landlord if I could install an outlet near my spot.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

I wanted to ask if I can charge it off mainly from the motor without charging it off the wall. I would ask my landlord if I could install an outlet near my spot.

You can drive a plug-in hybrid without charging it. But, it seems sort of pointless to go to the extra expense. You'd be better off with a regular hybrid. Installing an outlet might cost more than it's worth, and then there is the issue of who is paying for that electricity?.

Doesn't seem as though a plug-in fits your living arrangements.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• francis_11francis_11 Member Posts: 3
    I see your point. That's the problem of living in a city. Anything plug-in is difficult. Only option of charging it is through a charging station. Just asked coz I wanted to move to a hybrid car and there are more plug-in hybrid options now than regular hybrids.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    ?? I see more regular hybrid options out there. Save yourself money and go with a regular hybrid.
  • JPfrmMEJPfrmME Member Posts: 1
    It really depends on your daily routine. If you drive to a workplace that supports plug-in cars, or there is a nearby charging station, you can charge your battery while working and drive home for the cost of the electricity if your car has an electric only range somewhere near the number of miles driven to get home.