Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Tire Pressure Monitoring System

tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
edited October 2017 in Mazda
Discuss TPMS problems here!

Comments

• nycdragonnycdragon Member Posts: 14
    The tire prssure warning light flashed then turn into illuminated for one of the trip today. Since it didn't happen after that trip, should I ask dealer to check as the car is 4 weeks new. BTW, I have AWD Sport model.
  • honakerhonaker Member Posts: 74
    I'd have the dealer look at it. You're the first person I've heard report problems with the fuel gauge or the tire pressure sensors. Good luck and let us know what they say.
  • nycdragonnycdragon Member Posts: 14
    I put another 50 miles last weekend and the fuel gauge didn't change at all. I will see whether it will happen again for next gas tank.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    I'm embarrassed to say that I have been driving my CX-7 around for 2000 miles with 25 psi in the tires... Apparently that is about the tolerance of the TPMS, and on the coldest morning in two months, the light came on. A normal 32/32 might help get me above the 16 mpg I've been stuck at for a while.

I guess the dealer SAID they checked the tire pressure on delivery, but either one of our gauges is off, or I've got 4 slooooow leaks! :D
  • astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    Upon leaving work last Friday (Nov. 3rd), the tire pressure warning light came on accompanied by a very loud, long beep. I have to admit, it scared the crap out of me. Not knowing what it was, I took out the owner's manual and identified it. It never flashed, just stayed illuminated. Well, there's no gas station along my route home until I'm about 3 miles from my house, so I just decided to proceed. The light stayed on for about 20 minutes of the 45 minute drive and then went off. I made it to a gas station and put some air in the tires. Stupidly, I didn't bother to check the pressure beforehand - I was tired and cold and it had started to flurry. When I got home, I did the right thing - determined the proper pressure, which seems to be 32psi. Turns out I'd filled up 3 of the tires to 40 psi, so I let some air out. The left front tire was indeed at 32, so I let it be. I assume that one tire was probably low, causing the warning to sound in the first place. Now all 4 tires are at 32. I'm not sure why the light went off 20 minutes into my drive home, though. You'd think it would stay on until all the tires were at the right pressure.
  • airsickairsick Member Posts: 2
    Same thing happened to me on the way home from work the other night. I realized that the pressure in one of the tires was a little low and with it being cold out just amplified the situation. As I drove, the air in the tire warmed (expanded) and the light went off. Checked all the tires and filled them to 32psi and haven't had a problem since. BTW, this is exactly what the manual said it would do.
  • astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    Now I know! That's what the service guy told me (the car was in the shop to have the wind deflector installed) - that when the weather starts to change, the tires will react. I'm glad I know this now. I guess I didn't read the manual too thoroughly as I don't recall any mention of tire contraction/expansion. All I found was an explanation of what the warning light meant, and what the preferred psi is for the tires. In any event, lesson learned.
  • cocoagyrl77cocoagyrl77 Member Posts: 4
    One particularly cold morning my TPW light came on. And I was pretty freaked. However, I continued to drive and as the temperature went up, the light went out. My tire pressure was fine. It was just because it was cold and that affected the sensor.
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Your tire pressure is too low. The TPW activated because the sensor perceived a drop in tire pressure, not because the sensor was cold. The tire pressure dropped, because the cold temps compress the air inside of the tire. So, make sure you check your tire pressure when the tires are cold, not after you've driven on them and they've warmed up. Otherwise, you get a false reading of the PSI. Check the label on the inside door jam on the driver door and fill the tires to the recommended levels.

Vince :)
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Vince is right. If the cold was enough to put you under the TPMS threshold, you probably need more air in at least one tire. As an example - at 70F, I have 32 PSI in my tires (as recommended), and even at 25F I am not getting any warnings. Best to double-check.

-c92
  • tpsregulartpsregular Member Posts: 2
    The TPS sensors on my wife's 2010 CX-7 are coming on about once each month (give or take a week) since October (it's now March). It has been to the shop for this problem five times in the past six months!!! EVERY TIME it happens, we are told that the pressure was low, and they OVERFILL it by a couple of PSI. My experience with tires in the past has been that they DO NOT lose this much pressure this fast unless the tires are bad. Of course, since it only has a single "idiot light," we can't tell WHICH tire (assuming it's the same one!) is losing pressure!!!

Is anybody else having this problem?
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    May I suggest you diagnose this yourself.

The next time the light comes on, check the pressures - what are they? Then run down to the local gas station and check again. The pressure might be up a psi or 2 due to the heat being generated while rolling. Then add 3 psi to whatever the "warm" pressure is.

How long does it take for the light to come on? Normally this is a couple of months. Just be aware that outside temperature affects the inflation pressure - about 1 psi for every 10°F.
  • multi_carsmulti_cars Member Posts: 4
    Prior to buying our 2008 CX-7, we had a 2001 Subaru Forester that was notorious for having a "check enginer" light go on when the fuel cap was not tight. It got be very annoying and was never right. (a lot of false reads)

When the CX-7 TPMS light when on the first time - I thought not again, another warning light that goes on that the dealer has to turn off for service charge. Was I wrong. The TPMS was accurate as I had a nail in one of the tires. The warning light has only come on twice in four years and both times it was accurate.

If it's on - something is wrong. As for tire pressure - in winter watch out for lower pressure due to cold (again - the TPMS is accurate)
  • mazdaguy4mazdaguy4 Member Posts: 1
    Over the course of the last 9 months my TPMS light comes on, I check the tire pressure and they are fine. When I have my oil changed they reset it for me, then a month or so later it comes back on, again I check the tire pressure and they are fine. What gives?