Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    How did you make out with this ? I too think I am going crazy, but cannot find a good seating position on my 05 LE. Previously had a 99 with no problems. What did they do to this seat? It appears that we may be the exception, but that still makes it very annoying, never expected this from a car with this reputation. As I drive 100 miles/day, may have to give this car to my wife and get something else.
  • globeguyglobeguy Member Posts: 2
    I felt the hesitation of the engine like you described, when I started putting in Premium Gas in my car the symptom died down alot!!! I sometimes feel it but it's not too bad. I also have around 800 RPM during idle.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    before you do anything else, check the level of the brake fluid in the resovoir under the hood. Almost every time I've ever had the brake light come on in my Toyota's it has been because the level of the fluid is low. It is very sensitive to low fluid levels. Whenever it has happened, bringing the fluid level back to normal has solved the problem. Hope this helps.
  • greggiegreggie Member Posts: 3
    I've got a 2004 SE with the same issue. Dealer says there is no solution.
  • bizeemombizeemom Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much! I'd feel the fool if I took it in for "low fluid" :blush:
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Has the pedal travel changed? If not, then it probably is a low fluid warning light. If the pedal feels different (more travel than usual), then it could be a master cylinder problem or a leak somewhere. You should look at the brakes from the back side of the wheel and see if you see any wet spots.
  • fitzyfitzy Member Posts: 5
    Hey Rutger, I just got rid of my 2002 Subaru for the same reason. I just picked up a 2005 Camry also, I have not noticed the same problem as you state but I have read in Consumer reports that the seat may be uncomfortable for some. Sorry to hear about this issue, if your like me it will nag at you.
    What kind of milage return are you getting.
    Good luck, I love the car.
  • fitzyfitzy Member Posts: 5
    I ahve just got a new Camry and am expecting a great return from the gas tank......my free initial fill up is good but not super....will the car get better milage after it is broke in????
  • wmcdonald55wmcdonald55 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all I had to change out a RH Inner taillight lens. The one that is mounted on the deck (trunk) lid. Now the LH and RH Inner taillights are not working. The Backup lights work but not the tail lights. Anyone else had this problem? I don't have a Service manual for this car and I haven't found one for sale on Ebay. I can't tell from the fuse box cover which fuse controls the taillights. The corner taillights and brake lights work fine, but the ones on the trunk do not. Anyway I am open to suggestions and if you know which fuse it is I would appreciate it very much. Thanks for your time.
  • niki1niki1 Member Posts: 52
    Greg and Roy,
    This is exactly what I'm talking about with all dealerships. You get the same response no matter what the problem. It's normal, or there is nothing we can do, or
    better yet, they all do that. I can go on, but i won't. Good luck with your problems, and remember to keep all of your repair orders, and document everything, because Toyota does produce :lemon: just like any other car manufacture.
    Thanks
    NIKI1
  • markwindermarkwinder Member Posts: 1
    Yes, the same thing happen to me Monday, the dealership wants to charge $215 parts and labor. I feel the latch design is defective and Toyota should replace it. I feel this is a common problem.
  • allenzacharyallenzachary Member Posts: 1
    The flex pipe itself can be replaced by a local muffler shop. I had a similar problem with my 97 LE. it is a different body style, but the exhaust systems are very much alike. Be sure to find a local shop, as opposed to corporate franchises. My local shop keeps the flex pipe part in stock as it is a relatively common problem. It cost me $120 + tax to have him cut away the old bad flex pipe and weld the new one in place. Works great now.

I pondered doing it myself, but since I have little to no welding experience, thought better of it.

Most importantly, do not replace the flex pipe with a fixed pipe as you will crack the manifold.

Can't help with the other problems. Never had experience with them.

Good luck.
  • 05camry33se05camry33se Member Posts: 67
    The break in period is said to be at least 500 miles.

Also, I did get the rusty part in the engine looked at (discussed a couple pages back). It is the exhaust manifold and the dealer says they all look that way. Told me the steel heat shield is there to improve the look of the engine by covering it up.

I noticed an increase in the tranny hesitation when I picked it up today from the dealer after having a horn sensor replaced, I hope someone there didn't hammer the accelerator too many times while it was there.

Has anybody heard anything new regarding a fix for the hesitation of the "intelligent" tranny? Or tried the "pull the positive battery cable for 5 seconds" fix?

-Chris
    I have an 05 SE-V6 and an 04 Highlander V6, both with the 3.3 liter/5 sp powertrain. The hesitation on the HL is worse than the SE but to me, neither is bad enough to make me dislike the vehicle. As someone pointed out a while back, the driver can avoid most of the problems by managing the gas pedal inputs.
    Imac,
    Is this problem on the 6 cylinders only, or the 4 cylinders as well?
    Thanks
    NIKI1
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    Not only Camry and HL have hesitation but also Lexus' car as well.
    It happens for all 5sp trans regardless of V6 or 4 cyl.
    The 4 cyl with 5sp Camry starts 2005, so I expect to see more people complain about this problem as volume ramps up.

See under this linK
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef4cdbd!make=CATS&model=Transmission&ed_make- - - - index=.ef4cdbd
    Cam,
    Man that's a whole lot of info from that link you provided, and as far as me understanding some of the comments, sorry I'm not an engineer LOL. I have a 2005 4 cyl. Camry 5 speed auto, and have not expierianced this hesitation issue yet. The vehicle has 1000 miles on it, and my question is does this occur when you floor the gas pedal only?
    Thanks
    NIKI1
  • moeharrimoeharri Member Posts: 108
    I'm guessing you may soon experience the problem (I've had it the whole time I've owned the car, now about 6k miles), as I have the 4cyl as well (2005). It happens to me in the same location every day because of how the road is set up. I come to a yield sign that I have to slow down for on a curve so I can see if anyone is coming. As soon as I see no one is coming, I go back to the gas pedal and it kind of does nothing for about 1 second (not sure exactly how long) and then I kind of jerk into the turn. It's not as bad as it may seem, but I'd be happier if it didn't do it. I still love the car though, it seems to be getting better and better, especially the gas mileage (which I calculate myself, not with the trip computer).
    "my question is does this occur when you floor the gas pedal only?"

The situation typically occurs when you slow from around 40 mph to maybe 15-20 mph like when you are turning a corner or coming up on a line of traffic. If you try to accelerate briskly, the transmission seems to hesitate before it downshifts. Sometimes it's just barely noticeable and other times quite obvious. To me, it's not bad enough to get upset about but rather only mildly annoying.
    Moe and Imac,
    Thanks for the info, and yes I agree don't get upset, and don't sweat the small stuff, but we must ask ourselfs three questions. 1. Is this a safety concern? 2. Is this a non-conformity? 3. Will this problem affect the resale of the vehicle? If you answered yes to one of these questions then friends we all got lemons on our hands. I just got ride of a lemon, and don't want to go through that process ever again, but I will if I have to. Lets all understand that Toyota too produces lemons too. Good Luck All.
    Thanks
    NIKI1
  • dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Rearing it's ugly head again, I see.

Had the wife's 03 LE V6 checked out and on two test drives - one with tech driving, other with me - got it to happen as described above.

The "issue" is the accelerator needs to be used with a light touch. If you stomp it too hard and catch the tranny at a shift point, the computer is temporarily confused, forces a downshift (as if you were passing on the highway) and then once the pedal position is fed in, then it upshifts.

Since I learned to drive with a light foot, there have been NO problems whatsoever.

When I get behind the wheel of my 1970 440 Road Runner, well, that's a different story! Pedal to the metal!

Deke
  • lbaileylbailey Member Posts: 2
    I BOUGHT A 2001 CAMRY BACK IN 2002 FROM A TOYOTA DEALERSHIP. I THOUGHT I WAS GETTING A GREAT DEAL. A USED CAR WITH LOW MILEAGE LESS THAN 20K. IT HAD BEEN A RENTAL. I NOTICED THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMING ON DAY AFTER I BOUGHT IT. I TOOK IT BACK & THEY SAID IT WAS A COMPUTER SENSOR & REPLACED IT. THE LIGHT CAME BACK ON AGAIN WITHIN A WEEK. THEY TOLD ME IT WAS STICKING NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.NOW I FIND OUT THE INDICATOR LIGHT STAYING ON IS JUST A START. READ THE LINK BELOW. IT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!
    http://yotarepair.com/Sludge_Zone.html

• lbaileylbailey Member Posts: 2
    THIS LINK TELLS OF HEADGASKETS BLOWING & OIL LEAKS.
    toyota is repairing some 1997-2002 camrys
  • mearleymearley Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Solara, having 2 problems. I have an obnoxious rattle coming from the moon roof when closed. I have to keep the shade shut to muffle it but I can still hear it. I also have what I believe to be the dashboard trim rubbing against itself at the seams-I only hear it when I hit bumps. Other times I don't hear it all. It's driving me nuts! Anyone have a similiar issue? :mad:
  • chrismchrism Member Posts: 3
    I have a 04 XLE and they do not have auto headlights on this model. Why i do not know. They do on the cheaper models, it makes no sense. It does have the sensor on the dash. The auto feature only turns the lights off after 30 seconds or 2 beeps of the lock button with the remote after you get out of the car. Maybe the 05 models are different? Chris
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I thought there was a TSB for the moonroof rattle....check with your dealer. Funny, someone just posted how few rattles posts there were with the 04/05 Camry's.
  • mortysnerdmortysnerd Member Posts: 1
    My left turn signal flashes fast about 75% of the time (it comes and goes) while my right turn signal flashes normally 100% of the time.

Both left turn signal bulbs have been replaced. Both times, it started flashing normal for a while only to return to flashing fast 1-2 weeks later.

I've been told that on the 1999 Camry's, there is a breaker switch that is faulty and that this is a common problem on 1999 and 2000 models only.

- Has anyone else seen this?
    - How hard of a repair is this to do myself?

Thanks!
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Your lucky day -- I've had this problem myself and here's what I advised in post #3160 (4/5/05):

The other problem (rapidly flashing turn signals) is caused by poor electrical contact between the front turn signal bulb and its socket, if the bulb still functions as you indicate.

Remove the bulb from the socket, use a rough rag to wipe off the bulb's contacts and a pencil eraser to gently clean the socket terminals. To get to the bulb, see your owner's manual. This will work temporarily; based on my experience in a 97 Camry with the same turn signals, the problem will return eventually.

You may also want to gently pull up the socket terminals with a pair of tweezers to ensure firmer contact between the bulb and socket.
  • plytleplytle Member Posts: 1
    I have a '96 or '97 Toyota Camry. Recently it began clicking even after the turn signal had returned to its starting position. About two days ago it began clicking, as though I was turning, continuously. The turn signal is still operating normally and the lights still work but the clicking does not stop. Any ideas?
  • acollins876acollins876 Member Posts: 4
    96 Camry 4 cylinder with 196K miles. Recently had the head replaced in a local garage. Also replaced some other parts: all belts, radiator, water pump, had a hole in a freeze plug, and fuel filter. It was running very well after having the head replaced, but broke down one day. Everything in the car had power, but the engine won't turn over. Had it towed to a garage where they couldn't find the problem. Was able to start it again and got it home, where it broke down again and won't start again. Everything still has power..all battery connections are clean. Any ideas?
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Could be the spark plugs. How old is the battery? It could be the battery doesn't have enough amps left to crank the ignition but has enough for the stereo,windows, and lock.
    Forgot..it also has a new battery and we've tested it with another charged battery as well...doesn't seem to be a battery issue.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I don't own a Camry, however have this comment which could apply to any car. If your engine actually doesn't turn over, it could be you have a bad starter or the relay that powers the starter is not kicking in. Rebuilt starters are usually cheap and easy to replace on most vehicles, though I am sure a dealer will set you back a couple hundred or more to change it out.

If your starter engages and the engine actually turns over but does not fire, then you have some sort of fuel problem or you are not getting spark to your plugs.
    Forgot more detail...we also can't get the engine to turn over by manually turning the crankshaft.
    Did you get a resolution to this yet? My problem sounds VERY similar to yours...mine is post 3335.
  • r0de099r0de099 Member Posts: 35
    I have a 95 camry.The problem i have right now is every i step on the break the steering wheel and break pedal is shaking.Somebody said that maybe my rotor
    is warped if really that is the problem what kind of service i need for this so i have an idea before i take it to the mechanic are they gonna ask me to replace the pads also?Because the pads are still new.Can they just fix the rotor without replacing the pads?I just need some advice.THANX...
    Yes, you can replace (or resurface) the rotors without replacing the pads. If the rotor has never been turned (resurfaced), they may be able to do this if it isn't worn too much.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    If rotor is warped to any degree, unless the quality of rotors is superb, I think you'd be better replacing two rotors with a quality brand rotor rather than putting money into turning one or both. My experience has been once a rotor has warped, it warps again more easily; sort of like a tire with a bad belt it will never be true again.

Are the Toyota rotor's up to turning or is replacing with a good heavy aftermarket rotor a better way to go on a car you're planning to keep another XX K miles?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

... should be fine as replacements. No need to go to the aftermarket. In my '97 Camry 4-cylinder, the front brake pads lasted until just shy of 110K miles, and I never had any trouble with warped rotors. I sold the car just 1000 miles later to get my '04 Camry.

On the other hand, the brakes started shuddering due to rotor warpage at only 17K miles on my '90 Mercury Sable.
    Help Anyone,
    I have posted this problem before, so my problem is engine noise when the vehicle is in gear. The dealership told me it was the drive belt, because when they removed the belt the slapping/tapping noise went away. They did replace the belt, but the noise is still there, and getting worse. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this, or is anyone else experiencing this problem? Thanks in advance. The Camry is a 4 cylinder XLE auto, and the vehicle has about 1000 miles.
    Thanks Again
    NIKI1
  • nowoldmechnowoldmech Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I have been experiencing vague a arbitrary shifted of my 2003 Camry V6 LE for about a year. I had taken it back to the local dealer where we bought twice in the past year. The tech and the dealership owner both test drove the car and both said they could not duplicate any of the problems I described. Last week the car was taken to a dealership that is more than 50 miles from where we live. After a brief test drive the tech check the fluid level and found it to be over filled. He indicated he had to drain almost 0.9 quarts of fluid from the transmission. When I drove the car away from the dealership I noticed an immediate difference. It no longer hesitated when accelerating from a dead stop and shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd seemed more normal. By more normal I mean that the engine would rev in each gear rather than sometimes abruptly shifting to the next higher gear. The car went from being (for me) annoying to drive to being pleasant to drive.

I had written Toyota Customer Service in December 2004 about the car and their position was "if the Dealership cannot duplicate the problem they cannot fix it." Now my concern is what damage has been done after driving with the transmission over filled. Guess I will write them again for an explanation and ask for an extension my warranty. One more thing I noticed is my Owners Manual does not have a procedure for checking automatic transmission fluid level!
  • r0de099r0de099 Member Posts: 35
    it usuallycost to replace a rotor or resurfacing them?
    You need to call your dealer or repair shop to get a quote. Costs will vary widely from one location to another.
    You drove away from the dealership without demanding that the problem be fixed? I'd keep hammering them, and if you don't get satisfaction, could you try a more competent dealer?
  • gcrumblegcrumble Member Posts: 1
    I lost my owners manual and I need to replace the headlight on the driver side. Anyone know how to remove the light cover?
  • scottimusscottimus Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know how to remove the dashboard, mainly the part where the radio is on a 2000 Camry?

Thanks in advance!
  • helpneederhelpneeder Member Posts: 1
    Just came back from my 1 month trip
    and tried to start the car but could not.

It's 96 Toyota Camry, 170000 miles.
    Power window works but seems very weak.

Any Idea?

thank you
  • sandman2525sandman2525 Member Posts: 2
    2000 camry with 100K shakes when driving down the pedal shakes so does the brake what could be possibly wrong with it? it only started recently and obviously shakes when going over 100Km/hr

Exhaust rattles too
    High speed shakes are often a wheel balance problem. Pedal pulsation while braking is due to rotors being warped or having too much thickness variation. You'll need a mechanic to provide a real diagnosis.
This discussion has been closed.