Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• sweendogysweendogy Left lanePosts: 1,299
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 2,109
    Went and drove a 4 cyl with Tech and 6 cyl W/ tech and was disappointed. I think Acura is the new Infiniti in which they lost their Mojo. It's sad to see this, it's even sadder that Infiniti has to use German Engines and Transmissions to get the powertrain right... It's even sadder that they are discounting the TLX do much to move them off the lots.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 26,701
    I have not driven a 4 cyl yet, but really liked the 6 cyl I tried. But that is why they make so many different cars. something for (almost) everyone!

the big discounts now are thanks to clearing out for the new model.

Just curious, but what was so disappointing?

2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport (mine), 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

stickguy said:

I have not driven a 4 cyl yet, but really liked the 6 cyl I tried. But that is why they make so many different cars. something for (almost) everyone!

the big discounts now are thanks to clearing out for the new model.

Just curious, but what was so disappointing?

The big discounts is really because every car magazine panned and they aren't selling. The V6 does not feel like it has 290hp, in Sport+ the transmission does not shift and crisp and sharp as the 4 cyl. Now I will give the seats major props here very comfortable. The car drove with typical Japanese blandness very isolated feeling. Now, there is nothing wrong with that if that is your thing. The dealer I went really wanted me to take a 6cyl w/Tech but didn't see the real value in it. The only difference between a 4 and 6cyl Tech package is the engine and transmission there is not additional equipment in the 6 cyl since more manufacturers add features Honda/Acura does not.
  • sweendogysweendogy Left lanePosts: 1,299
    Infiniti and Acura are lost for sure... Lexus has at least made the effort with the (ugly?) IS.... They also have the volume es and rx to help the rest of the fleet. Infiniti has 2 highly discounted sedan and suv (pathfinder q) that I guess is the reason Nissan gives them a lifeline. Acura has one real product the MDX. Yes they have a super car which is cool but unfortunately in its current stable you can't look down the line and say it has a real bloodline. The old nsx had the integra r and gsr (had one) to point to.
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 9,661
    I agree Acura seems to be lost; they gave up on their 3.7 engine, which is strange for Honda/Acura to give up on an engine so quickly.

Infinity, while the Q40/50/60S are all heavy cars, they do have a 400 HP Red-Line and 3.0 L turbocharged power-trains. They seem to be making an effort. I thought the 2.0T was an Infinity engine that Mercedes was using. If it is a Mercedes engine that Infinity is using, it does seem like a strange partnership.

Acura needs an ILX-S or ILX-R. TLX-S?

Toy '16 Audi TTS quattro AWD, Commuter '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6 Turbo FWD, Wife's '17 VW Golf All-Track SE 4-Motion AWD
    andres3 said:

I agree Acura seems to be lost; they gave up on their 3.7 engine, which is strange for Honda/Acura to give up on an engine so quickly.

Infinity, while the Q40/50/60S are all heavy cars, they do have a 400 HP Red-Line and 3.0 L turbocharged power-trains. They seem to be making an effort. I thought the 2.0T was an Infinity engine that Mercedes was using. If it is a Mercedes engine that Infinity is using, it does seem like a strange partnership.

Acura needs an ILX-S or ILX-R. TLX-S?

I'm thinking Acura will be dropping a turbo 4 into the TLX within the next 2 yrs. Honda will have a Turbo 4 in the Accord next year.

Infiniti had to dump the VQ V6 it was a thirsty engine but don't understand why they had to go to MB for their engine...
    Out with the old and in with the new. It was time to get a new car, my first choice was the Alfa loved how it drove, and for the price hard to beat, but when it came to lease payments, yicks... Basically told the dealer when they were serious about selling the car to call me.
    Volvo S60, nice car, but the MF and RV is horrible, so I moved on.
    Acura the dealer wanted to move a car, but wasn't all that thrilled on how it drive, either the 4-6 cyl
    Lexus IS, drove well, even though the dealer wanted to move a unit, the RV and MF were high as well as lease payments.
    MB I don't like the C sedan, even the C43 again they wanted to move a unit but the payments were high.

I went with a 2017 330i that was a service loaner, 2500 miles, Drivers assistance package, Premium Package, Nav, heated seats, Apple Car Play, 18: rims. 41K out the door, 2100 out of pocket, for fees, first month, and a small Cap reduction.

Have to say BMW has firmed up the standard suspension, to almost perfect, I have the same rims and Rick's GT, however, I have 225-45-18's, Ricks are 225-50-18. This car is light on its feet, the new B48 engine is a Gem, much much quieter than my 320i at idle, it drives like how a BMW should. I'm getting the car coded for added features and installing a BMS JB4 for added power.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 22,836
    Warning: the BMS will void your warranty. Unless the dealers have started offering it, which would shock me.

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

• stickguystickguy Posts: 26,701
    sounds like the car I would look at later in the year (the service loaner lease part). What did the before tax payment end up being on that?

2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport (mine), 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

qbrozen said:

Warning: the BMS will void your warranty. Unless the dealers have started offering it, which would shock me.

I had the BMS stage 1 on my 320 and never had an issue, I'm not worrying about the JB4.
    stickguy said:

sounds like the car I would look at later in the year (the service loaner lease part). What did the before tax payment end up being on that?

I rolled some negative cash from the 320 into this new car, the value of the 320 was falling, and wasn't going to get better.
    edited June 2017

qbrozen said:

I had the BMS stage 1 on my 320 and never had an issue, I'm not worrying about the JB4.
    Question is if it will void your warranty. And the answer is yes. At least as far as damage that may be related to it, such as the entire drivetrain.

The BS about it being "undetectable" is just that. That was proven to me firsthand by my service advisor.

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 9,661
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

Question is if it will void your warranty. And the answer is yes. At least as far as damage that may be related to it, such as the entire drivetrain.

The BS about it being "undetectable" is just that. That was proven to me firsthand by my service advisor.
    The trick is finding a dealership and service advisers that ignore a TD1 flagging.
    Toy '16 Audi TTS quattro AWD, Commuter '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6 Turbo FWD, Wife's '17 VW Golf All-Track SE 4-Motion AWD
    Mine was good about it and helped me get things fixed but he did say if the engine blows, for example, there isn't much they can do because corporate will inspect the computer and find out.

qbrozen said:

There is always a change but my 320 and Ricks 328 hasn't had an issue, I don't plan on pushing more than the tune.
    Boy did this forum die....
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 72,882
    Along with the sedan...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 67,839
    In the interest of reviving this thread, I pose a hypothetical.

In 2-3 years I could be in the market for a CPO ELLPS - what do you recommend?

Audi A4
    BMW 3-series
    MB C-class
    Something else?

Figure I'd be looking at 2017 or 2018 MY.

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

edited October 2017
    Q50
    S60