Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    No different than what Ford does with F150. When it's your flagship vehicle you pull out all the stops.
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited October 2017
    From a Canadian perspective, a test drive of the slightly different Canadian 2018 Accord, with a few comparison points with the 2018 Camry. The reviewer spoke with some of the engineers, who said that the Audi A4 was one of their benchmarks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoTNR0noT68
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Just went through the last 4 weeks of posts on this, the 2018 Accory board. ;) I have to wonder how Ford and Nissan are selling so many Fusions and Altimas, given how old their designs are. One reason may be looks. If I were in the market for a new mid-sized sedan, I wouldn't be able to get past the styling of the Accord and Camry to even test-drive them. Their front clips are in particular really ugly IMO. There's several very good and good-looking options in the mid-sized class, such as Mazda6, Sonata, and Malibu, that I'd check out first. But with a roomy, compact-sized 50-mpg Niro starting at $23k, that's really what I'd check out before any mid-sized sedan.

As for the Altima, I think I may know why Nissan still sells quite a few of them. First, as rental of course. Then there's people who like Nissans, think the Altima is good-looking, and want a practical, roomy sedan with excellent fuel economy. And they can probably get one at a great price.

I drove a 2016 Altima base model rental last week around Boston and Cape Cod. Car had 37k on it; I put nearly 700 miles on it. There were two round trips between Boston and Cape Cod, both trips with some heavy traffic, and a week of motoring around Cape Cod. The car averaged 40.0 mpg. I thought that was impressive, because I did a lot of in-town driving in Cape Cod plus the heavy traffic in Boston. The reason was the CVT, which kept revs between 1200-1600 most of the time. It helped that the highway speed limits were usually 55-60, and much of the driving was on flat terrain. Other than fuel economy, the car was competent but unexceptional--but then it was a base model. Seats were comfortable enough, and the interior still looked brand new after 37k miles. Ride was OK, but a little jittery over bumps. It wouldn't be my first choice as a sedan, but for the right price it would make a solid family car. Needs a redesign though.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Camry could part with some grille orthodontia to fix Accord's missing teeth B)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited October 2017
    Oh, Accord dentures are very expensive. You could try implants from a Lexus. They have lots of extra teeth :p
  • Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @Michaell nice on seeing that old camory!
  • Options
    @akirby so trew every one has there one view when it comes to any car or when they post sum thing on the net yes have to be taken with an big grane of salt! and yes Toyota is the best out there when it comes to very little problems every now and than! just my two sence!
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    I am looking forward for the '18 Accord to become available tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how they are priced and if there are any changes from the preliminary specs.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    john4545john4545 Member Posts: 136
    edited October 2017
    I cant wait to test drive one myself. Just not sold on the new 18 look yet . I like the 2017 accord sport looks better .
  • Options
    john4545john4545 Member Posts: 136
    What are the chances of the 2018 Accord Sports ride and handling being better than a Mazda6. The handling on the 6 was pretty tight and very sporty from what I remember.
  • Options
    john4545 said:

What are the chances of the 2018 Accord Sports ride and handling being better than a Mazda6. The handling on the 6 was pretty tight and very sporty from what I remember.

Mazdas are always a lot of fun to drive. I personally doubt a 2018 Accord Sport will be better than a Mazda6, but probably it will be about as good.

And discounts on the 2018 Accord are already significant at some dealers. Look at this example—$2400 off msrp on a 2018 Accord EXL....

http://www.donjacobshonda.com/vehicle-details/new-2018-honda-accord-ex-l-lexington-ky-id-20844125

2018 Honda Accord EX-L
    Stock # 890113
    List Price $30,845
    Savings $2,458
    Internet Price $28,387
  • Options
    @benjaminh wow just came out and discounts from the get go! wow have to look at one soon once the dealers around hear get sum in and have to still go and look at new camery to!
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    so, anyone get down to check out an Accord yet? I know it won't be me for at least a few weeks!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319
    stickguy said:

so, anyone get down to check out an Accord yet? I know it won't be me for at least a few weeks!

I'll see if I can get @breld and / or @jpp5862 to accompany me to the Honda dealer for a look and a test drive sometime soon.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I need to take my wife's car in for an oil change today, and so if they've got one on the showroom floor I might see one. But since I'm not really in the market at this point, I don't want to waste a salesperson's time by taking a test drive....

In terms of brand of tire, it looks like for the 2018 Accord LX they get Hankook, EX/EXL get Goodyear, and Touring gets Michelin. I think Sport might get Michelin too, but I don't really know....
  • Options
    benjaminh said:

I need to take my wife's car in for an oil change today, and so if they've got one on the showroom floor I might see one. But since I'm not really in the market at this point, I don't want to waste a salesperson's time by taking a test drive....

In terms of brand of tire, it looks like for the 2018 Accord LX they get Hankook, EX/EXL get Goodyear, and Touring gets Michelin. I think Sport might get Michelin too, but I don't really know....

It's Thursday, for goodness sakes. The salesman may be happy to get off the dealer lot. I have no problem test driving - I'm always thinking about my next car...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I'll see if I can get @breld and / or @jpp5862 to accompany me to the Honda dealer for a look and a test drive sometime soon.
    Maybe @stickguy can take a lesson from @breld and trade in his new Elantra Sport before the first payment is even made! :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Never. But I know my daughter will be happy to buy it from me next July!

• Options
    Seems like the oem tires on a model often change, sometimes several times, in a year.
  • Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I'm in. Been a while since we've done a test drive.
  • Options
    jpp5862 said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Am curious about both the new Accord and the Elantra Sport. We'll see if we can set something up.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Well, as I got the oil changed on my wife's 2013 Accord today, and the tired rotated and balanced, I took a brief look at a 2018 Accord LX, inside and out.

In terms of the looks on the outside, I guess I'd give it a B+ overall. It's a little weird, and a little edgy from all angles, but that's probably better for sales than sticking with something that looks like past Accords. It definitely looks "all new," and goes right up to looking freaky without quite getting there imho. Even though it's only about half an inch wider, and about half an inch lower, the proportions are a little bit different—and in a good way. The front, as many have said, is blunt. If form is supposed to follow function in good design, maybe it tried to do that to some degree, with lots of air for the engine, and clear sight lines for the standard Sensing.

This was an LX, and so I was prepared for the interior to be a letdown, but overall I'd say it was impressive for the c. $24k list price. It didn't seem cheap anywhere. Not necessarily expensive, but not cheap. My parents own a 2013 Accord LX, and I'd say it was a step up almost everywhere from that car. For instance, the seats were nicer and more comfortable, the steering wheel and dash seemed nicer, more functional, and felt better, and in terms of standard features it seemed better.

Everyone has gone on and on to a silly degree about Honda putting the volume knob back, but actually that's just one of five high-quality silver-colored metal knobs on the dash. They do seem more functional an intuitive. Honda has gone from last place in knobs (my 2016 Accord doesn't have any knobs) to first place, and I think it works. The knobs have a quality feel. A few pages ago I was writing about that book about the 1996 Ford Taurus, and how they put extra quality in that car, including in the little features. This is another car that has that kind of attention to detail.

As with the Camry, Fusion, etc. I think c. 40%+ of all 2018 Accords sold are going to be the base LX model. And in terms of that, I think Honda probably has a winner, although the styling still might flop, as it did with the 96 Taurus. But in terms of the quality and performance of the car, it's got one of the biggest bangs for the buck out there.

It used to be that if you got the Accord LX, as with my parents' 2013, or my 2002 LX, that it was a nice car, but had obvious cost cutting. You have to start with the wheels and tires, where previous LXs have had H-rated 16-inch tires that are rather narrow. But the new LX gets V-rated 225/50R17 tires with alloy wheels, the same turbo engine as the EXL or even the 1.5 Touring, etc.

Trunk space was very big, as mentioned, and back seat legroom was noticeably larger.

I know this is a controversial point even to mention, but rear visibility behind the driver is a little better than I thought it would be (looks like you can kinda use that rear quarter window if you need to), but obviously it's not as good as past Accords.

The salesperson talked up the power of the new turbo, but from tests it doesn't seem to be any faster than the engine of my 2016, and so I took that with the grain of salt. On the other hand, I think my 2016 is quite peppy, and so I'm sure it's good enough. And maybe in terms of "feel" it is better.

It did seem clear that Honda spent a fortune on this car. I'm still not sure if it'll be a success or not. But my guess is yes....
  • Options
    Michaell said:

benjaminh said:

It's Thursday, for goodness sakes. The salesman may be happy to get off the dealer lot. I have no problem test driving - I'm always thinking about my next car...
    Well, as I got the oil changed on my wife's 2013 Accord today, and the tired rotated and balanced, I took a brief look at a 2018 Accord LX, inside and out.

In terms of the looks on the outside, I guess I'd give it a B+ overall. It's a little weird, and a little edgy from all angles, but that's probably better for sales than sticking with something that looks like past Accords. It definitely looks "all new," and goes right up to looking freaky without quite getting there imho. Even though it's only about half an inch wider, and about half an inch lower, the proportions are a little bit different—and in a good way. The front, as many have said, is blunt. If form is supposed to follow function in good design, maybe it tried to do that to some degree, with lots of air for the engine, and clear sight lines for the standard Sensing.

This was an LX, and so I was prepared for the interior to be a letdown, but overall I'd say it was impressive for the c. $24k list price. It didn't seem cheap anywhere. Not necessarily expensive, but not cheap. My parents own a 2013 Accord LX, and I'd say it was a step up almost everywhere from that car. For instance, the seats were nicer and more comfortable, the steering wheel and dash seemed nicer, more functional, and felt better, and in terms of standard features it seemed better.

Everyone has gone on and on to a silly degree about Honda putting the volume knob back, but actually that's just one of five high-quality silver-colored metal knobs on the dash. They do seem more functional an intuitive. Honda has gone from last place in knobs (my 2016 Accord doesn't have any knobs) to first place, and I think it works. The knobs have a quality feel. A few pages ago I was writing about that book about the 1996 Ford Taurus, and how they put extra quality in that car, including in the little features. This is another car that has that kind of attention to detail.

As with the Camry, Fusion, etc. I think c. 40%+ of all 2018 Accords sold are going to be the base LX model. And in terms of that, I think Honda probably has a winner, although the styling still might flop, as it did with the 96 Taurus. But in terms of the quality and performance of the car, it's got one of the biggest bangs for the buck out there.

It used to be that if you got the Accord LX, as with my parents' 2013, or my 2002 LX, that it was a nice car, but had obvious cost cutting. You have to start with the wheels and tires, where previous LXs have had H-rated 16-inch tires that are rather narrow. But the new LX gets V-rated 225/50R17 tires with alloy wheels, the same turbo engine as the EXL or even the 1.5 Touring, etc.

Trunk space was very big, as mentioned, and back seat legroom was noticeably larger.

I know this is a controversial point even to mention, but rear visibility behind the driver is a little better than I thought it would be (looks like you can kinda use that rear quarter window if you need to), but obviously it's not as good as past Accords.

The salesperson talked up the power of the new turbo, but from tests it doesn't seem to be any faster than the engine of my 2016, and so I took that with the grain of salt. On the other hand, I think my 2016 is quite peppy, and so I'm sure it's good enough. And maybe in terms of "feel" it is better.

It did seem clear that Honda spent a fortune on this car. I'm still not sure if it'll be a success or not. But my guess is yes....
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    At this point I think it would take a major screwup for Accord and Camry to falter much.
  • Options
    Michaell said:

jpp5862 said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Am curious about both the new Accord and the Elantra Sport. We'll see if we can set something up.
    Whatever you do, don't report that the accord is best thing ever, and only a dope would buy the Elantra!

• Options
    Thanks for the review. Sounds like I would like it, but still find it on the large side. But probably not have a meltdown that I missed out! As to the engine, power and 0-60 might be close, but I suspect it will be a lot perkier off the line and at lower revs thanks to the turbo.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Thanks for the review. Sounds like I would like it, but still find it on the large side. But probably not have a meltdown that I missed out! As to the engine, power and 0-60 might be close, but I suspect it will be a lot perkier off the line and at lower revs thanks to the turbo.

I think you did great with your Elantra Sport. Congrats again.
  • Options
    benjaminh said:

As with the Camry, Fusion, etc. I think c. 40%+ of all 2018 Accords sold are going to be the base LX model. And in terms of that, I think Honda probably has a winner, although the styling still might flop, as it did with the 96 Taurus.

Based on the looks of the porky 2003-05 models, I think most Accord buyers don't care about styling.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Something my local Honda dealer had on all their new 2018 Accords which I hate is the "protection package." They charged c. $1300 beyond msrp for fabric protection, rust proofing, mud mats, etc. I don't like any of it, and in any case it's worth at most about $300. If I buy a new Accord at some point, I might buy from another dealer farther away to avoid this. Although for my 2016 Accord they just threw all that stuff in for "free"—meeting the price of the dealer father away that doesn't do that stuff. But it is annoying imho.
  • Options
    Just goes to show you that $1300 dealer pac probably had only around $100 of cost in it!
  • Options
    @benjaminh grate rite up on the new Acord have to see one for my selfe don't no and camery to!
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    With all the talk about the 2018 Accord and Camry, another newcomer is being overlooked: Kia Stinger. The MT issue that reviewed the Accord and Camry also reviewed the Stinger GT. But the Stinger will also be available with a 2.0T making 255 horsepower, listing at just under $34k with the Active Safety package. Guess what else lists for just under $34k? The Camry XLE 2.5L reviewed by MT. For the money, I'd take the Stinger. It's actually smaller (shorter) than the Camcords, has RWD, and it has the utility of a hatchback. The new Accord looks like it should have a hatch--but doesn't. Not to mention the Stinger looks a LOT nicer outside and inside than the new Camcords.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    backy said:

With all the talk about the 2018 Accord and Camry, another newcomer is being overlooked: Kia Stinger. The MT issue that reviewed the Accord and Camry also reviewed the Stinger GT. But the Stinger will also be available with a 2.0T making 255 horsepower, listing at just under $34k with the Active Safety package. Guess what else lists for just under $34k? The Camry XLE 2.5L reviewed by MT. For the money, I'd take the Stinger. It's actually smaller (shorter) than the Camcords, has RWD, and it has the utility of a hatchback. The new Accord looks like it should have a hatch--but doesn't. Not to mention the Stinger looks a LOT nicer outside and inside than the new Camcords.

The Stinger definitely looks intriguing; for my purposes RWD is non-negotiable in anything larger than a Mini.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I have to say I never heard of it. Is it a midsize sedan?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    suydam said:

I have to say I never heard of it. Is it a midsize sedan?

This should help you.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    So doesn’t exactly sound like a competitor to Camry and Acccord.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    suydam said:

So doesn’t exactly sound like a competitor to Camry and Acccord.

Not really. RWD and a hatchback kinda go against the midsize sedan grain.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Yeah, very much a niche product. But the enthusiast fanboys will be all over it, even if almost none of them actually buy one.

• Options
    I would be interested in the genesis version in a few years when it is time to upgrade.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    My wife is only 4 month away from owning her car free and clear. Ahhh, the beauty of not having a car payment.....Plus, I do think her 2013 Accord looks better than the 2018. Maybe we'll keep it till it's 8-10 years old.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    benjaminh said:

My wife is only 4 month away from owning her car free and clear. Ahhh, the beauty of not having a car payment.....Plus, I do think her 2013 Accord looks better than the 2018. Maybe we'll keep it till it's 8-10 years old.

I bought my Accord Sept '13 and it will be paid for in less than a year. Hard to believe I've had it that long. It has been a pleasure to own. I was looking at pictures of the interior of the '18 EX on some dealer sites. I don't think I like the cloth that is used. Looks too much like what is used in the Civic. Since I haven't seen it in person I will keep an open mind.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    benjaminh said:

it is. RDX was paid off a month ago, and we got the title already. Nice feeling not having that payment this month. And my new car will only be about $10 month more than my Sonata, so that will pretty much just be a wash. I really wanted to cut back on car payments, the last few years, with getting the new car for the princess and having 3, has been brutal!

• Options
    @backy that Stinger does sound nice cant wate to see one at the dealer real soon!
  • Options
    @benjaminh the new Acord is nice but think the one you and your wife have is the best looking one ever made ever!
  • Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    My old 13 grey exl v-6 Accord with rear spoiler was sharp looking. The 18 Accords front grille and fenders are not as sharp as the older models. All around Accord 2018's will be a better vehicle as posted in reviews

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    I would be willing to give up some in the looks dept. for this Gen Accord. My daughter and husband drove down from Boston to visit mama and papa bear in my old 13, Accord . With @55k on the clock they said it still runs like new.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    Thought I'd weigh in on the '18 Accord. I have a '16 Accord, which I'm not overly pleased with, so I've been looking forward to a test drive of the new '18. Overall, I was a bit disappointed. I found the EX I drove yesterday to have some improvements over my '16, but I'm going to have to give it one more try before I'll purchase one. The cornering and the CVT seem significantly improved and there's a ton of leg room in the new one. I found the '18 a bit quieter and better riding, but not to the level of the marketing hype. I think Toyota has done a better job with the new Camry in those areas. The biggest problem I had with the one I drove was the steering. Although quick and precise (improved over my '16), I found myself making constant, little, steering corrections to keep it moving in a straight line on the highway. The day was a bit windy, so I want to give another '18 a try on a more calm day. At this point I want to like the '18, but I'm not there, yet.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Rented a Sonata for the weekend. Fairly Base model, no backup camera.
    I liked it better that the mid size models I have rented previously, Altima and Camry.
    Got it at Midway and drove to South Bend, some local driving and back.
    A couple of things I liked were that it was easy to drive in stop and go traffic, the throttle was very linear, and the engine never got too loud or harsh.
    A couple of could be betters are the handling isn't as sharp as my Fusion, probably somewhat due to tire/wheel upgrade my Fusion has, and steering wheel controls got less intuitive the more I used them.
    Maybe I was just tired on the return part of the trip. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert