Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    edited September 2017
    MB is of questionable taste, and that's 100% stock. No doubt in a front plate state but not using one, too, as I am sure the law is enforced via socio-economic boundaries.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Flip down the roof, and lose your trunk space. Brilliant!
  • Options
    I wonder what amount of late model SLs ever venture more than 75 miles from home.
  • Options
    I always thought hardtop convertibles were a bad idea. I still do.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,204
    I think it depends on where you live. The increased visibility over a soft-top is great for the 8 months of top-up weather that we have. And, no trunk issues for those months either, obviously.

If it's a daily driver, I could see it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Sometimes compromise creates synergy, sometimes mediocrity
  • Options
    Spotted a new TLX A-Spec SH-AWD. Impressive looking.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    In a rainy place, a hardtop convertible makes sense - occasional adjustments or repairs of the mechanism are probably easier to live with than cloth top issues in damp weather. I would also prefer it for a DD - I doubt many haul family car-amounts of luggage anyway.
  • Options
    A few new ones ones on the road today - A5 hatchback, hockey stick 5er hybrid, Velar (first I have seen)
  • Options
    Fin, Be careful cruising around right now. I hope you took my advice and bought that pair of oversized aviator sunglasses before Corolla boy finds you or you are discovered on YouTube and become a star B)
  • Options
    I checked Youtube - nothing. This might be my only chance to be famous!
  • Options
    fintail said:

In a rainy place, a hardtop convertible makes sense - occasional adjustments or repairs of the mechanism are probably easier to live with than cloth top issues in damp weather. I would also prefer it for a DD - I doubt many haul family car-amounts of luggage anyway.

I think "repairs" are more in the frightening category, if/when they occur. Remember when detachable hardtops were the rage, and NOBODY ever used them? So the hardtop convertible was a compromise. But you have a point--this is more of a toy car than a family car.
  • Options
    Yep, convertibles are toys. They won't see the same miles and hard use as a family car.

I suppose the most worrisome ones would be MB R230 SL, R171 SLK, VW Eos, BMW F30, maybe final run Chrysler Sebring, etc. I know top issues are not unknown on early R230, but aren't universal. I don't know about the rest. I think for detachable hardtops, many just stay on the car. Most R107 SL I see always have the top on, and E36 so-equipped always seem to have it, too.

I think "repairs" are more in the frightening category, if/when they occur. Remember when detachable hardtops were the rage, and NOBODY ever used them? So the hardtop convertible was a compromise. But you have a point--this is more of a toy car than a family car.

• Options
    3 new Camrys on the road today. I think at least one was a rental.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    I must have seen some on the road, but if so, I never even noticed. not a good sign.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    I must have seen some on the road, but if so, I never even noticed. not a good sign.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    MB AMG GT in dark gray on the road. First I've seen one of these.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    fintail said:

3 new Camrys on the road today. I think at least one was a rental.

Saw a whole truckload headed north on I-75. Of course, I was just north of the Camry factory. B)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Lots of beautiful scenery on the road there no doubt B)

Saw a Titan diesel on the road, not many of those around.
    kyfdx said:

Saw a whole truckload headed north on I-75. Of course, I was just north of the Camry factory. B)

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    No Cruze's in the delivery lot at Lordstown.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Saw a dark blue hockey stick 5er in traffic today.
  • Options
    Volvo XC60. Fantastic seats and interior.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited October 2017
    Spotted a 90's era Camaro joining the ACLA group for a very spirited Highway 33 jaunt. Unfortunately for them, at less than mile marker 10 on the mountain, they ended up about 10' below the road, and about 10' adjacent to the road, and oh yeah, upside down (shiny side down)!

Fortunately for the old man driver (you'd think old men would have more common-sense!), he landed on a bunch of bushes and bushy trees with a bed of soft sand. That soft cushioned landing saved his hide. He was shorter stature, and thin, so he was able to just barely get out of the car though the side window with some help from other drivers.

Lucky only to have some scratches from the broken glass sliding out of the car.

Higher up on the mountain might have been a longer fall than just 10' off the side of the road rolling over. Typical over-correction over-steer issues of that kind of vehicle based on the skid marks. Someone mentioned a Bilstein suspension, but I suspect there's only so much you can do with that chassis that doesn't make it a good selection for canyon carving.

The M3's, 4's, 2's, TTRS, TTS, S4's & S5's, and modern Corvette, and Mustang GT all made it to the end of the day without incident.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Ha, why would you think that? :)

Saw another new Camry, this one a higher spec, non-rental.
    andres3 said:

Fortunately for the old man driver (you'd think old men would have more common-sense!)
    The M3's, 4's, 2's, TTRS, TTS, S4's & S5's, and modern Corvette, and Mustang GT all made it to the end of the day without incident.

• Options
    fintail said:

Ha, why would you think that? :)

Saw another new Camry, this one a higher spec, non-rental.

andres3 said:

Fortunately for the old man driver (you'd think old men would have more common-sense!)

Isn't there an old saying about being "old & wise?"

Maybe he was reliving his youth.

Being that there is no reception for cellphones on that mountain, it was a long time before we realized we had "lost" a third of the group. They were nice enough to stay behind until help arrived.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Spotted a new style Tiguan, thought I would see more by now.
  • Options
    In traffic today: rental new Camry and a VW Atlas.
  • Options
    I saw an Atlas on the road a few days ago. Nice looking.

• Options
    I think I might have seen a Kia Stinger today. Looked like a shinier fancier Optima, but seemed larger (it was from a distance).
  • Options
    Cadenza?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Nope not a Cadenza, I have seen several of those.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    In the parking lot at work, a white Chrysler 200!
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    a new Camry out driving around. Not even a rental!

• Options
    Saw a non-rental Camry too, and a Buick Envision - not new, but quite rare, I see more Lamborghinis on the road. I don't know if I can envision myself in a Chinese-made GM CUV B)
  • Options
    Envision doesn't seem to get anything better than mediocre reviews.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    edited October 2017
    Saw my first V90 in the wild. Black on black with black or charcoal or just really dirty wheels.

Good looking vehicle other than those wheels. Seemed to be sagging in the back.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I just don't like cars that long.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    edited October 2017
    i think it is more of an illusion. It is only a foot longer than the XC60 and V60, and, interestingly enough, about an inch shorter than a Caddy CTS and only 2 inches longer than a 2018 Accord.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Saw another new Tiguan today.
  • Options
    fintail said:

Saw another new Tiguan today.

Saw a Kia Optima dawdle along holding up traffic until at least 5 cars trailed them on the scenic way home. It wasn't me. I was one of the 5. Idiotic they didn't let people pass.
  • Options
    Laws are only meaningful if the powers that be have the desire to enforce them. They love speeding, and don't care about many others.

Saw another new non-rental Camry, they seem to be selling here. Spectacularly unpretty, but I notice the glass seems to be tall, which is a good trend. Of course, still thick pillars and poor rearward visibility.
    andres3 said:

Saw a Kia Optima dawdle along holding up traffic until at least 5 cars trailed them on the scenic way home. It wasn't me. I was one of the 5. Idiotic they didn't let people pass.

• Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    fintail said:

Laws are only meaningful if the powers that be have the desire to enforce them. They love speeding, and don't care about many others.

Agreed. We've never needed (and still do not need) the 'no cell phones/texting while driving' laws as there have been distracted driving laws on the books for decades. What was always lacking was enforcement.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    Enforcement and IMO citations with teeth. Some of the fines out there don't seem low enough to be a deterrent.

I suspect if the enforcement community would go after phone users and non-signalers like they chase violators of often arbitrary speed limits, they could erase the national debt. I know of local intersections where I swear half the cars are either not using a signal or the driver is holding a phone.
    fushigi said:

Agreed. We've never needed (and still do not need) the 'no cell phones/texting while driving' laws as there have been distracted driving laws on the books for decades. What was always lacking was enforcement.

• Options
    Saw a new Odyssey, reminds me of the old one but with the now trendy faux floating C-pillar.
  • Options
    Saw another new Odyssey today - reminds me of a stretched Opel Adam. Also an A5 sportback,
  • Options
    Saw a Velar today, should be a good seller with the leisure demographic in Bellevue.
  • Options
    That should punch out at close to $60K with options, don't you think?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    fintail said:

Enforcement and IMO citations with teeth. Some of the fines out there don't seem low enough to be a deterrent.

I suspect if the enforcement community would go after phone users and non-signalers like they chase violators of often arbitrary speed limits, they could erase the national debt. I know of local intersections where I swear half the cars are either not using a signal or the driver is holding a phone.

fushigi said:

Easy solution, make the 1st cell phone/distracted driving offense equal to what they charge for a red-light camera violation ($500+). They love camera fines being high, why not make the important violations equally high? None of this $100-$200 BS for the first offense.

I've heard there might be legislation approved in CA making the right turn on red without a complete stop a reduced fine as compared to actually running the red light. I suppose I should thank the camera industry for this one as no one liked getting fined $550 for a 1-2 MPH (or even less) discrepancy in stopping.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315

That should punch out at close to $60K with options, don't you think?

When was the last time you were at a LR dealership?

I was at one last Saturday - the Velar we looked at was north of $60K

Folks in the leasing thread have quoted sticker prices of $70K and higher, depending on engine, trim level and options.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Also extra fines for yappers in cars with bluetooth, and then make the fines progressive. I love seeing a late model Range Rover/Tesla/senior MB-BMW etc where the "driver" has a phone to their ear. If these people are supposed to be smarter and more logical and harder working than most everyone else, they sure have a funny way of showing it. Or maybe they know they are virtually untouchable in what is becoming an oligocracy.
    andres3 said:

Easy solution, make the 1st cell phone/distracted driving offense equal to what they charge for a red-light camera violation ($500+). They love camera fines being high, why not make the important violations equally high? None of this $100-$200 BS for the first offense.

I've heard there might be legislation approved in CA making the right turn on red without a complete stop a reduced fine as compared to actually running the red light. I suppose I should thank the camera industry for this one as no one liked getting fined $550 for a 1-2 MPH (or even less) discrepancy in stopping.