Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

When, on average, do you need new tires?

ssmasterssmaster Member Posts: 18
edited October 2017 in Mazda
Let's just say that our Manual Transmission Mazda 3 I touring has only had 2 tire rotations in it's lifetime. At how many miles would you say it is RECOMMENDED and at how many miles would you say it is NECESSARY to change the tires?

Comments

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited October 2017
    It's all about tread depth. If you've only done 2 rotations, I would hope you're only around 12,000 miles on the tires. I rotate about every 6,000 miles and generally get 50,000+ out of a set of tires on the manual transmission passenger vehicles I've had (Nissan Sentra, Altima, Versa) Rotation and proper tire pressures are two easy things to do to maximize tire life.

Also, if you're on the original tires that came from the factory, those generally don't last as long as what you'll replace them with. Typically I've only been able to squeeze 25-30K out of a set of OEM tires. Your driving style and roads you typically drive on can affect tread life as well. (Driving on hilly, winding roads vs mostly straight highway, for example)

Here in PA, tread depth of 2/32" won't pass inspection, but you'll start to notice traction issue in the rain and other conditions before you reach that point. At 4/32" the tires are "worn". Once you get to worn, it's time to think about replacement. You can check tread depth with a coin:

That will give you an idea wear you stand on tread. There's no such thing as a "perfect alignment" and if you don't rotate regularly, you will see some kind of irregular wear. Certainly make sure your alignment is within specs, but then keep up on your rotations.
  • Options
    The car has about 41,000 miles on it. I am begging my wife to replace the tires as I measured them with a ruler I printed off the internet and they are below worn, but she doesn't want to invest the money at the moment. Maybe if I show her this with a coin, she might be more inclined to believe me.
  • Options
    And it goes without saying these are OEM tires.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I replace ours when I detect a loss of wet weather traction even though they may have half of the tread left.

As tires wear, they lose their siping and I don't like the loss of traction.
  • Options
    Better to show her with a coin than not being able to make a stop or a turn. If you got 41K out of OEM tires, you're way ahead of the game in my opinion.

Consider that tires are the most used safety item on your vehicle. We're coming into fall here in the Northeast. Leaves coming down, rain making them wet. If you're beyond "worn", you'll see a loss of traction on less than ideal conditions. Heck, you'll notice a little tire chirp if you start up from a standstill and the tires happen to be sitting on painted pavement markings.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    41,000 miles on the OEM tires is enough considering the car manufactures probably skimp when they buy their tires!
  • Options

41,000 miles on the OEM tires is enough considering the car manufactures probably skimp when they buy their tires!

41K is far more than I've ever gotten out of OEM tires as far as I remember. Maybe once or twice out of the 14 vehicles we've bought, I got 30K+
  • Options
    ssmaster said:

I'd also say that 20,00 between rotations is probably a bit too long. That increases the chances that any unusual wear won't get spread out over all four tires. I have a great tire shop that I deal with. They rotate tires you purchase from them for free. You might be able to find a local shop in your area that does the same.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    When it comes to tires there is a simple rule. How many times have you heard someone say that they would give anything if they could go back get a chance to make a different decision? You are at that point right now, the point where you have the chance to make the right choice and prevent a potential tragedy. The fact that you're looking at the tires and questioning how much longer they will last tells you everything that you need to know in order to make a decision. Tires are cheap compared to what you would be willing to spend if the decision to not replace them goes sour.

I replace my tires between 4/32 and 5/32. With an SUV that means all four tires replaced together as a set. I get just about 60K per set and my Escape is due for it's fourth set after the originals next month.
  • Options
    capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Just so everyone understands how extreme the differences in tire wear rate can be:

As a field test engineer for a major tire manufacturer, I've seen the same make/model tire wear out in as little as 10,000 miles ( Phone company installation van), and go over 100,000 miles (city to city package delivery van)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    ssmaster said:

You might remind her that those four little 6" X 4" patches of rubber are the only thing holding her car onto the road.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited October 2017
    Me,. too. I chuck my tires at 4/32". There's also the issue of aquaplaning. If a tire can't shed water fast enough, it's going to skate.
  • Options
    My youngest daughter learned about tires not being able to shed water this past spring on the highway in the rain. Nothing dire happened, but she called to say I was right... time for tires

Dads are so smart sometimes :)
  • Options
    zippy99zippy99 Member Posts: 17
    Change your tires before they reach the wear indicators or 4/32"
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    zippy99 said:

Change your tires before they reach the wear indicators or 4/32"

Yep, the wear indicators are another helpful hint that it's time for new shoes! I like the wear squares on the Cooper CS5's that I run on