Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• abqabq Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I got a question. I have Camry LE 03, 4 cylinder. I am puzzled by the tire pressure. When I bought the new tire, the sale man tell me that the tire pressure should be 32 psi. But, when I check the manual, it says the tire pressure should be 29 psi. Which one is correct? Thanks, if anyone can answer my question.
  • rhaeffelerhaeffele Member Posts: 149
    "anyone has similar problem when they start 2005 Camry with the key? ... I just bought it 2 days ago."

Probably too late to point this out, but your new engine is, well, NEW (aka, "tight"). It's not broken-in yet - the sliding and rotational parts have to seat themselves to their mates and until that happens, your fuel mileage will not be optimum and starting may take a bit longer than you're used to with your former ride. Just follow your owner's manual concerning break-in and the rest will sort itself out without undue initial wear.
  • rhaeffelerhaeffele Member Posts: 149
    "the sale man tell me that the tire pressure should be 32 psi. But, when I check the manual, it says the tire pressure should be 29 psi. Which one is correct?"

Had to laugh to myself - this is probably the first instance in my 44+ years of driving that I actually agree with a car salesman. Generally, your tires will run cooler, and therefore last longer, if you run the pressure several psi higher than recommended, but NEVER over the maximum cold pressure rating that's molded into the sidewall. If the owner's manual indicates a pressure differential between front and rear tires, do maintain that numeric differential for safety and handling reasons. So, for example, if your manual suggests 29 psi for the fronts, and 27 psi for the rears, you will help your tires live longer by running 32 psi for the fronts and 30 psi for the rears. (That's just an illustrative example - consult your owner's manual for Toyota's actual recommendation for the Camry and then adjust accordingly.) You probably won't notice much if any difference in ride quality over those additional 3 psi, but you will probably notice an improvement in how much better the car handles in accident avoidance maneuvering. Only make tire pressure adjustments when they're cold (less than a mile of driving before checking). At operating temperature, tire pressures may vary as much as 3 or 4 psi, perhaps even more across a long stretch of hot desert highway, over the cold pressures which are assumed in the owner's manual. NEVER check the tire pressure when they're fully warmed and let air out - the "elevated" measured pressure will return to normal all by itself as the tires cool down.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    29 psi is Toyota's recommendation, but I also think that's too low. Interestingly, the owner's manual says to raise the tire pressure to 35 psi for running at 100 mph or above!

That's a hint that the 29 is set as a compromise. To get better handling and improved ability to withstand high temperatures, raising the pressure is prudent. After all, 75 mph is maximum legal limit in much of the West, including the hot desert regions. I just read that Texas plans to raise some limits to 80 mph in the western part of the state.

Personally, I've gone with 34 to 35 psi on my '97, '04, and '05 Camrys and have not had any abnormal tire wear or noticeable ride comfort deterioration.
  • themoon77themoon77 Member Posts: 102
    First of all it's not really that bad. The car is an automatic, transmission is in nearly perfect condition, 180,000-ish miles.

It happens when I am driving down a slight incline, 40-50 miles per hour, with the accelerator only SLIGHTLY depressed. It feels as if the car is transitioning from slight acceleration to coasting, back and forth, and it stops when I lift my foot off the gas or press it down a little more. Is this just a normal occurrence, happening because I am just barely pressing the gas?

FYI--I used to have a cold start idle problem. The engine would race to 2000 RPM and stay there until the car warmed up, approx 7-8 minutes later. I removed the Idle Air Control module, noticed it was extremely gunked up, cleaned it, and it solved the problem.

Steve Edge
    89 V6 wagon, 89 I-4 sedan
  • wisawdwisawd Member Posts: 1
    My '97 Camary 4 banner requires premium gas. With fuel @ $3.00/gallon, can I switch to regular without damaging the engine...long term?
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    I also have a 97 Camry 4 cylinder. I have always used Regular (87 Octane) gas without any problems.
    ...at least from '97 to the present are designed to run on 87 octane gas. (I'm pretty sure the earlier ones are also.)
  • aayjayaayjay Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Sorry, Title is little wierd, that is just make things easy for google searchers.

Ya, actuallly, my 1993 Toyota camry starts most of the times but sometimes it doesn't. I heard long press is the solution but not for me. What happens when i start sometimes is, when the key reaches the extreme end, a 'TAK' sound comes and thats it, feels like the message is not being passed to the engine. Can anyone guess whats happening ?

Thanks ;)
  • themoon77themoon77 Member Posts: 102
    That is a common problem in our beloved Camrys. Have your starter contacts replaced. I was quoted $60 for a fix on an 89 4 cylinder, so it should not cost much. If you can't fix it now, next time it does it just turn the key to "start" several times RAPIDLY. That usually helps my car crank right up somehow. Hope this helps.

Steve Edge
  • brownies10brownies10 Member Posts: 2
    Hey pal Im having the SAME exact problem your having. I was actually surfing the net trying to see if my 1996 Camry LE was the only car that had this problem, but then I found your post. You hit the problem that i have RIGHT on the dot. At first I thought i was experienceing a belt problem, it did sound like the noise was coming from it. I purchased some belt lubrication but that didnt work, i then realized that it was NOT my belt. The noise im experiencing is loudest exactly as you said, right when i start the car. But it does tend to silence itself once the car is running for about 10 mimnutes. I was wondering if you had fixed the problem your having?? Was it the water pump or was it something else??
    TY!
  • psciortinopsciortino Member Posts: 22
    My 99 LE 4cyl Camry has a ticking sound coming from the front right wheel. Ticking is faster as car is faster. 57,000 miles. Front brake pads replaced about 10,000 miles ago. There are no pebbles or nail heads in the tire. All ideas are appreciated. Phils.
  • lovecdlovecd Member Posts: 50
    I found the turn signal pace and click is much faster than the regular speed in my 97 Camry. Anybody knows how to repair it? Many thanks!
  • moeharrimoeharri Member Posts: 108
    Have you checked to see if all lights are working properly such as taillights, headlights, blinkers in the front and back, etc? Many times, cars will blink the lights faster so that you know one of the lights is burned out. Don't forget to check the parking lights too.
    It could simply be your wheel cover. (I assume you have steel wheels with the plastic covers.) Try removing it and see if the noise goes away. If so, then you can just put it back on as tight as possible and hope for the best.
    The faster clicking would mean only a turn signal bulb is out on that side of the car. But if the bulb still works (dimly), then the contacts in the front turn signal bulb may not be secure enough. I've explained how to clean/tighten the contacts before in this board. Just search under my user name.
  • submarinesubmarine Member Posts: 3
    My Camry Solara(V6) accidentally ran over a curb several days ago in a road under construction;
    Then now I heard squeak sound when I roll oven uneven surface or when I turn the key to start;
    Anyone tell me if it is suspension problem?-how to fix or just ignore-I cannot find other things go wrong;

thanks a lot
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    My 97 LE had a similar problem 6 months ago and I had the timing belt replaced and the loud noise (at startup) were gone.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    hmmm. have someone check the constant-velocity (CV) boots (rubber that goes around the CV joints). any signs of broken boots means probable loss of lubrication. if this is the problem, you'd probably notice the problem "ticking" while turning in one direction, more so than in another (i think turning left it might be loudest, but I'm not positive).

a CV joint and axle could be an expensive repair, so broken boots need to be replaced very soon after detecting a problem.
  • CarDealCarDeal Member Posts: 2
    I have purchased a new camry just 3 months ago and am already having a problem. I could feel the carpet on the driver's side (right under the trunk and gas tank opener levers) is wet and I feel some water is stored under the carpet. I am not sure where and under what conditions it is coming from ? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • toyotabotoyotabo Member Posts: 13
    Ticking sound while turning is most likely the CV joints . Had them done a few years back both sides at about 360.00 at sears.
    Many thanks!
    Many thanks!
    The others are right. It could very well be the C-V joint(s), caused by a torn boot. In my '97 Camry, they started to crack (without going all the way through) in the 60K mile range, and one finally tore at 89K miles, disgorging the grease.

But still try taking off one or more wheel covers first, just in case.
  • aayjayaayjay Member Posts: 2
    When the engine is COLD, pull the coolant reservoir out and check if it's leaking. It's easy to pull out the reservoir, just have to apply some knowledge.

If the reservoir is leaking, replace it. It costs $50 from the Toyota dealer or $25-30 including shipping if you buy online. You can do the labor yourself.

Coolant level should be always above FULL whether the car is running or parked or whatever.

But, reservoir is not the only way for the coolant to leak. It's just a possibility.

Good luck,
    Ajay
  • juno1juno1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem in my 2004 Camry XLE for a wet carpet in the rear seat, there was an a/c drainage hose leaking into the car. Have the dealer check it out. :)
  • grant2grant2 Member Posts: 30
    One of my dashboard lights is out. The rpm's light is out. How do I get to and replace the bulb?
  • camry2camry2 Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody notice the floor mats that come with the Camry look dirty?
    They come in either beige or gray. It seems that you have to brush the mat back and forth to make these marks go away,but come back as soon as somebody gets in the car and puts their feet on the mat. I have questioned my dealer service rep on this issue and he says they are all like that. It seem to me that such a beautiful car should have nice mats that dont need any special care. My Camry interior is gray and I live in the Midwest so Im going to buy high quality rubber ones that drain water and keep the carpeting clean and dry but I would like to know what other Camry owners do to care for their dirty looking mats!
  • ragdollgirlragdollgirl Member Posts: 66
    Yes, I noticed that, too. I just bought an '05 XLE and have the beige mats. I ordered them specifically, and then realized that they look dirty the minute a foot roughs them up. Then I bought a set of the Camry rubber mats. I actually like them better, although I didn't think I would, and I removed the carpet mats and just use the rubber ones. Guess I wasted money on the carpet mats. Oh well, I'll probably use them sometime. I would imagine the only way to keep the carpet mats looking good is to smooth them down every time you exit the car. What a pain that would be!!
  • twtladytwtlady Member Posts: 1
    I own the toyota camry for about 2 1/2.I frequently do the servicing/maintenance. Previously no problem occured, but now i have a bad feeling of my camry. The sound of engine is no longer smooth + every time i turn the steering after i start the engine i can hear the 'spring sound'(Ting). What could be the main problem. How much is the cost to replace the disc & pedal brakes?
  • siwelsiwel Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 Camry also collected water on the driver's side - last year. A kind and helpful Toyota dealer in Shamokin Dam, PA, blew air into the drain line, and about a gallon of water flowed out. This year, almost to the day, a similar problem showed up - water in the foam pad, but under the passenger's side, front and back.

A different dealer checked the hose and it was clear. Some water does drain out from the AC condenser drainage hose to the street. but I can still hear water sloshing around under the dash during braking/acceleration or turns, and the under carpet foam doesn't dry out. The sloshing sound is intermittent.

I haven't found the right solution yet.
  • janetgjanetg Member Posts: 4
    Well, less than two weeks has passed since the dealer "fixed" the shifter problem. Now it's back. I can move the shifter from park all the way down with the engine off and my foot not on the brake, and without pushing in the button on the shifter. The Toyota CSR in Torrance said that what I described earllier - my car coming out of gear and rolling down our drive - is "not possible." I feel as though I'm having to fight with them to get my car repaired. The CSR claimed he had never heard of this hapening in 23 yrs. When I mentioned that past Camrys were recalled for this problem, he became short with me. Is this attitude normal? Do you think it's possible that the car could go out of gear while I'm driving it? I'm pretty concerned. Should I have the dealer come and pick it up instead of driving it there, which is about 45 minutes away. I left a msg for the CSR to call me pronto this morning but haven't heard back yet. :(
    It's really only the nap on the carpeting that causes the dirty look. Not a big deal, IMHO. I don't think Camry mats are different from other cars' carpeted mats.

If they do get dirty, they're easy to clean by thoroughly hosing them out with water and scrubbing (not too hard) with ordinary dishwashing (or carwash) detergent using a plastic-bristled brush. Then rinse thoroughly and hang them as vertically as possible in hot sun, and they will dry in a matter of hours. I don't advise doing this in the cooler months, as they may not dry out completely for a LONG time.
    Do not put up with any rudeness! That's a standard putoff line, "Golly, I've never heard of that before!" I checked the recall of which I'm aware, because I had a '97 Camry. Turns out it's not quite the same problem, but similar.

Check out: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm and plug the number 97V213000 into the "quick search" slot.

Make : TOYOTA Model : CAMRY Year : 1997
    Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR CO., LTD.
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 97V213000 Mfg's Report Date : NOV 19, 1997
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 289,326

The problem was that the ignition key could be removed when the transmission was not in Park. If the parking brake was not applied, then the car could roll if on an incline. It turned out my car was not involved in the recall because only Kentucky-built Camrys were affected (mine was built in Japan).

I'd march right back to the dealer and show them your problem. If necessary, try to do the same thing on ANOTHER Camry to show them it doesn't occur, in case their skulls are too thick!

You can drive the car safely; it's not going to change gears on its own (other than normal upshifting or downshifting). You still have to move the lever manually to shift into neutral, reverse, or Park.
    more than likely, the drainline is either re-clogging, isn't exiting the firewall properly, or is crimping. for example, large debris (leaves or pine needles) may clear or partially clear the drain, but as you make a turn, re-clog the line.

you need to have it checked again, perhaps more thoroughly by someone else.
    Many thanks to all who responded to my ticking sound plea for help. I removed the plastic hub cap and the wheel. After the hub cap was put back on the ticking stopped.

But, with the wheel off the rotors were visable. My front right rotor had scratches on it. Not concentric circles like a worn brake pad may make. But, scratches across the rotor which are not straight marks. A shop tech suggested that I replace the caliphers because the calipher may be hanging up. Does this make sense? Could the ticking noise be related to the rotor scratch since both were right front wheel related? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • hscyndihscyndi Member Posts: 1
    HI All, my 98 camry just couldnt be started today after I parked and pumped some gas. After a nice guy helped me jump start it, I made it to my apartment...and I kept it running while I was unloading stuffes from the trunk. However, it happened the engine went off on its own. After that, I couldnt start it again. Later, I got it jump started again and ran it for at least half hour on highway, but same thing happened after I turned of the engine---I CANT START it again. Please , please help me!!! Should I get my battery replaced or it is the problem of the alternator?? Thank you.
  • tdbtdb Member Posts: 1
    My 95 Camry has an ignition miss when started. as it warms up it will quit after 5 minutes or so and won't start back up till it cools off. I've had it at the toyota dealer. and they failed to properly diagnose the problem. The O2 sensor, Plugs, wires and distributor cap are new as well as the PCV. Any ideas.
    if you can get the vehicle over to an autozone or advanceauto or one of those automotive parts store chains, i think most have a tester which they can use to load the battery down and also check the alternator and determine if one or both is failing to perform as they should.

you should know batterys don't last forever - depending upon climate, 4 years is pretty darn good (in your case, if you are the original owner and never replaced the battery before, it would be 7yrs of use which i think most would find to be excellent).
    Well, good to know the ticking really was caused by a wheel cover.

How deep are the scratches on the brake rotor? I would think a caliper hanging up would make a scraping or grinding noise. When you hit the brakes hard on a straight road, does the car pull to one side?

If you have any symptoms like these and the scratches are deep, I'd get a second opinion from another shop. If the scratches are minor and there are no other symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • shaggy14shaggy14 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Hscyndi,

I have the same problem, i'll like to know how you solved it!
    Expecting your reply!
    Thanks.
  • shaggy14shaggy14 Member Posts: 2
    Is there anybody out there who knows about Camry XLE, 92 model inside-out!
    Pls reply me. Thanks.
    :confuse:
    In response to 210delray who responded to my plea for help:
    I don't know how deep the scratches are. I should have run my hand over them. I'll do this later.

Next, Since I had a brake job a year ago my brakes squeeled and squeeked. New pads were put in May2005. They continue to make noise.

I'll get a second opinion.

Thanks.
  • hfxcamryhfxcamry Member Posts: 2
    Hi.. I have a '92 Camry 4 Cyl with approx. 200 km or 120 miles. On start up only, there is blue smoke ( for at least 5-10 seconds ) then normal. There is no loss of oil when I check the dip stick every month. Any ideas on what is causing this? Where should I start to look for a cure? Additives ?

thanks
    We've covered this before. I assume you mean 200,000 km. The cause is oil leaking from the top of the engine through hardened or worn valve stem seals into the combustion chambers, when the car is parked long enough, such as overnight. When you start the engine, the oil is burned, resulting in the blue smoke.

You will likely need new valve stem seals, at a cost of about $800-$1,000. But if the car isn't consuming oil, runs fine otherwise, and still passes emissions tests (if you have them), then you can ignore the smoke for a long time. You really ought to check your oil more often however.
  • toyoman1toyoman1 Member Posts: 52
    Hey,

Yet again my 1995 Camry 2.2 LE has a problem. We recently (about 2 months ago) put a new radiator in it. Now with 171k it is leak power steering fluid to the point where it goes through a reservoir a day. What could this be and is it gonna be expensive. There is a leak that I saw one day while changing my breaks on the driver side. It was a drip but must have gotten worse. What is it???? THANKS IN ADVANCE and Happy Motoring!!!!! :sick:
  • joshalijoshali Member Posts: 4
    After four years, problem with "check engine light." First, dealer changed "air fuel sensor bank" -- solved problem for one week. Went back; codes showed 440/441/446; They changed the charcoal cannister assembly; fine for two days. Any thoughts? Didn't someone say that the problem had to do with their gas filler pipe and it took dealer a while to solve it? I thought I read that on one post, but now that I am searching for it, cannot find it. Any help would be appreciated.
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    My Camry (163k miles) will turnover but not actually start. Is this indicative of a bad alternator or voltage regulator? The battery was tested and is ok.

I was going to have it towed to a shop and try to get a new or reconditioned alternator or regulator - otherwise have it taken away to the salvage yard.

It was running fine until this problem a few days ago. It is currently just parked. Time for a replacement car or can this be reasonably fixed?

Thanks alot.
    My post 3423 in re an engine check light resulted in a suggestion of "the gas cap may be the problem." I turned off the engine check light, removed the gas tank cap, put the cap on while twisting it so it made a click, click sound and the engine check light came back on. I bought a new cap. The check light returned. I suggested the dealer repair the problem under warranty although the car was about 70 mos old and had 55,000 miles. They paid for the labor, I paid for the parts. I used the word "participation." It worked 1/2 way! Good luck.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    "My Camry (163k miles) will turnover but not actually start. Is this indicative of a bad alternator or voltage regulator?"

No. The fact that there's enough power in the battery to operate the starter and crank the engine over indicates that the charging system's ok.

"It was running fine until this problem a few days ago. It is currently just parked. Time for a replacement car or can this be reasonably fixed?"

Depends on the cause. It needs fuel, compression, and spark to run. Have it diagnosed properly to determine which is missing and how much the repair would be.
This discussion has been closed.