Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE 3 SERIES GRAN TURISMO

carqbuycarqbuy Member Posts: 66
edited October 2017 in BMW
I am starting this because I would really like to get some information about the 3 Series Gran TURISMO. This has been very difficult. I think that it is a very unique car and should stand on it’s own apart from the rest of the 3 series line up. Please place any thoughts you have about the car here. Especially want to here from current owners.

Comments

• carqbuycarqbuy Member Posts: 66
    What are the current money factors and residue values at 36/12,000 & 36/15,000 for the 2017 & 2018 330xGT/340XGT?
  • linda1018linda1018 Member Posts: 2
    I can offer a little insight regarding the 3GT. I have been driving one for three years and don't have a single complaint. I was sure I did not want an SUV of any type but I needed the ability to carry more than a trunk in a typical sedan would allow. The 3GT was a perfect fit and it is amazing how much will fit in that thing! I always get a kick out of people rolling their eyes when I show up to pick up a large item. I pop the hatch, put away the cargo covers and release the rear seats. The 3GT is like a transformer and then I get the "what model is that" question.

An added bonus was that no one else appreciated them and the dealer was very happy to offload one so I got a pretty good deal. It drives great for what it is. I do have the x-drive with sport package and it is plenty fun enough for the average commute. No, it is not an "M" car, no it is not the "coolest" looking according to the "fan boys" blah,blah,blah. That said, I really think this car has a purpose, yes the 4 series Gran Coupe has better styling but it USUALLY (forget MSRP I am talking about what you can actually get the car for) costs more and it does not have a few of the features that are included in the 3GT. First, the fold down seats are in both models but in the 4GC you don't have a release button in the rear (3GT does). Also, the 3GT has a much larger panoramic glass roof and the 4 GC doesn't even offer that option. The 3GT has nice cargo cover storage and I use it frequently. The 4GC does not have a compartment to stow the panels. The 3GT also has a retractable spoiler, nice touch. Again, not an option on the 4GC. Last, if you have older people in your life (I had my elderly parents that I needed to transport on occasion) the 3GT is MUCH easier for them to get in and out of as it sits a bit higher than the sedans. I previously drove a 5 series and enjoyed it as well but the 3GT is a much more versatile option. Keep in mind the 3GT is constructed on a LONGER wheel base than the standard 3 series and the result is almost the same back seat leg room as the 5 series. The interior styling is pretty much the same in the 3/4 series line ups, 5 series is a nicer interior but you pay for it :)

So....hope this is helpful info for you. If you are looking for super fast and super cool......not the car for you. It does sit higher and the handling is compromised a bit because of this. The 4GC does handle slightly better due to lower posture. If a good value and functionality are primary for you the 3GT would probably be a good fit. Drives better than any Lexus, Mercedes, etc. in the same price point. Keep in mind that the 3GT is being phased out and I believe 2018 is the last production year. If you look at used, do your homework as these did not hold value very well. Me personally, fully enjoyed the car. Happy shopping.
    Thank you very much for the info. This was very helpful. Do you have the 4 or 6. Cylinder? Can you comment on the ride and the noise inside the car?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    carqbuy said:

What are the current money factors and residue values at 36/12,000 & 36/15,000 for the 2017 & 2018 330xGT/340XGT?

36/15 numbers; add 2% for 12K

.00152 and 58% for both years

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• linda1018linda1018 Member Posts: 2
    Carqbuy..to answer your question, I have the 4 Cylinder, as were my two previous 5 series cars. It has plenty of power for me. I do tend to drive fast but not stupid. I don't "drift" or burn tires or any of the kid stuff. Kinda adult fast....high speeds on appropriate roads. I have the speed reminder set to ping at 100 and I am always surprised how often I am exceeding that speed on highways. The car rides very well at high speeds and it has plenty of initial pickup for in town driving. Again, I almost always drive in sport mode and that does make a considerable difference in the transmission shifts. Considering the car has a higher stance than some, it still agile and corners well with little roll. My car is equipped with Xdrive, stability has been great. Not once have I had the back end get squirrely on me, even in the Florida downpours. As far as power goes, I am sure the 6 Cylinder would provide more but I never felt it was necessary. I did drive a few other brands when shopping and I was VERY disappointed with the 4 in those cars. Ride in general, a little (very little) noisy and I think it comes from the side mirrors. I like music kinda loud i.e. negates the noise :-) Not bad but I came out of the 5 series and they are a little quieter in the cabin. Also, I am sure you know the drill about run-flat tires. Again, not a problem for me but some people hate them due to noise and ruff ride. I have been happy enough with the car that I am considering another one. I have been test driving others (different brands) and so far nothing beats the COMBINATION of stiffer suspension, heavier steering (sporty) and practicality. You really can't go wrong with the 3GT or the 4GC. I am just finding better pricing on the 3GT and (see my previous post) it has a few features for me that are not on the 4GC. The Audi A5 Sportback comes pretty close but the pricing is just dumb. They pretty much want you to pay MSRP and give you a big story about how in demand they are......eye roll! Add the NO free scheduled maintenance and the value just isn't there for me.
    Thank you very much for your input and detailed explanations. By any chance have you driven the 6cyl? If so can you or anyone else out there compare the 2 for me. Can you provide more detail about the possibility of them not selling the GT after the 2018 model?
  • DrFlashDrFlash Member Posts: 25
    What are the current money factors and residue values at 36/12,000 for the 2019 330ixdrive GT/340ixdrive GT for 77030 (Houston, TX) please?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    DrFlash said:

What are the current money factors and residue values at 36/12,000 for the 2019 330ixdrive GT/340ixdrive GT for 77030 (Houston, TX) please?

.00165 and 61%
    $2500 lease credits

Either engine

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

This discussion has been closed.