Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    Unload this dog or start writing checks.
  • bigtenfan78bigtenfan78 Member Posts: 1
    92 Camry 2.2L, 155000 miles - lost headlights and taillights while driving at night a few days ago. Lights came back on, then off, then on, and eventually off again while driving home for about 15 miles. If I activate high beams, headlights come on (high beams only) but taillights don't. High beam toggle stick will not stay in high beam position (toward driver). Turn signals and emergency flashers are OK and brake lights seem OK. Is this a problem with a relay or a different type of switch? Where are these located? Are both in engine compartment? Are they on the steering column? Where exactly? Is this a home mechanic job or should I just take it in to a garage where I get work done when needed on this car? Thanks for any help.
  • denmandenman Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2005 Camry SE with the 3.3L v6. Like the car but I am bothered by this jerking. It occurs when I am slowing down to turn on a street or whatever and if I don't fether the gas pedal ever so gently the car jerks, kinda like a manual trans when you let the clutch out to soon. I have never had a car that did this. Is anyone else experiencing this? Don't know if it's the drive by wire or the 5 speed auto trans. Kinda ruins the driving experience, the throttle is awful touchy. I will say that the 3.3 really hauls [non-permissible content removed], makes a wonderful sound when I get on it. This happens quite frequently. Pre she ate any advice or opinions. Thanks

Dennis
  • bildowbildow Member Posts: 100
    You might have a loose catalytic converter the inside cone has come loose this has happened to a lot of cars.
  • grrrr1grrrr1 Member Posts: 1
    I have that problem also. I just found out this morning. When the moonroof closes, it drops down a little bit. I haven't contacted a dealer yet. It's strange because nothing else is wet except the floor on the driver's side.
  • sxyrican80sxyrican80 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2002 Toyota Camry XLE V6 that I really love alot and like to drive it and never want to get out of it, but the only problem that Im exsperencing now is, that in da morning when Im leaving for work or the first time the car is driven for da day it seems da transmission doesnt want to go into it's 2nd gear and it sounds like it wines sometime, but after like 5 minutes driving, the transmission is totaly fine after I drive it for like 5 minutes, the rest of the day its fine, no problems till the next morning. It has only 41,000 miles. can you reply back to me or email me back and let me know a clue what I should know or do bout this !! I do have a extended warranty on this vehicle, So I am covered if this vehicle does need to get to the Toyota dealer. please reply !! thank you !!
  • themoon77themoon77 Member Posts: 102
    Symptom: The following warning lights illuminated--"Brakes", "Charge", and "Lights."

Solution: Alternator Brushes needed replacement

Just a little FYI. 89 Camry 3S-FE

Edge
    Are you saying that it won't come out of 1st gear at all??

Your car is programmed to hold gears longer when the engine is cold. All auto Camrys and MANY other cars do this. Perfectly normal. It helps the coolant reach normal operating temperature faster.
    89 Camry V6 2VZFE, 185000 miles

I have a random misfire occurring. It never follows a pattern, and I only feel it when idling. It is worse when the engine is cold. Any clues?

Also--hearing and feeling(through brake pedal mostly) a knock when sitting still on an uphill incline in Drive. Any clues? Much worse with A/C on.
  • dino01dino01 Member Posts: 26
    There is an entire thread devote to this topic do a seach for "hesitation". My camry LE v6 is having the same problem. Been to multiple dealers and call corporate office have been told by them the above symtoms are "by design" and there is nothing they can do.

BTW. there is an TSB out for this problem. I have it apply but it does help a little bit. The problems are still there.
    "I have a random misfire occurring. It never follows a pattern, and I only feel it when idling. It is worse when the engine is cold. Any clues?"

The usual suspects for misfiring would be sparkplugs, sparkplug cables, and/or coil(s). (6-cyl engines mask this problem quite well at engine speeds above idle unless there're multiple cylinders involved.) But various sensors that feed info to the engine control module could be acting up, too. Instead of going on a throw-money-at-it fest, why not have any stored fault codes read? Most large chain autoparts stores will do that free.
    Are fault codes present even when the check engine light has not been on?

Edge
    It comes out of 1st gear after like within like 5 minutes or so....when the car is warmed up. I had a 02 Dodge Stratus and it never did this at all when I would take off and the car was not warmed up. So on all Toyota's then, this is Perfectly Fine?? Well I feel releived from what you told me. If say, I let the car warm up tommorow morning, for like 10-15 minutes and the car is warmed up and I go to take off to work and the transmission still does it, THEN is there a problem?? Or does the coolent gotta really WARM up to the transmission level?? please reply back THANK YOU SO MUCH !!
    Oh one more thing !! What about the wine noise the transmission does when Im driving??? it's not loud loud, but you can hear it if you pay close attention...
    Thanks for the reply, but I do not call this hesitation. The car doesn't hesitate, it jerks. If I mash the throttle there is no hesitation, I think other people were complaining that when they floored their car nothing happened, that's hesitation.

210 delray can you help?
    I think I was not clear enough in my last post--long day of teaching middle schoolers--so my apologies.

Here's the deal--If your Camry is not coming out of 1st gear AT ALL during the first 5 minutes of driving, you DO have a problem, unless you are driving very slowly. Is this the case? Are you driving faster than 10-15 mph during the first 5 minutes?

Here is what I should have said: When your car is cold, the transmission will hold gears a few hundred rpm higher than normal--for example it may do the 1-2 shift at 20 mph(cold) instead of 15mph(warm) at the same throttle position.

Let me know, and we will go from there. Again, sorry my post was not clear the first time. We will hopefully solve your problem soon.

Edge
    Compare my account to what you are experiencing. I have an 89 Camry V6 auto. When I turn onto my street, going maybe 5 mph, quite often I will hit the gas EXACTLY when the transmission is downshifting from 2nd gear to 1st, and there is a bit of a "whiplash" effect. I have conditioned myself to "hit" the gas more softly as I am completing my turn, and sure enough, it goes MUCH more smoothly. I have had several auto tranny cars to have this quirk--I think it just has something to do with downshift timing.

Edge
    Good question - I don't know for certain. But if codes have been thrown, you'll have a starting point. If not, you're back to square one.
    Yea, that pretty much describes it. Like I said earlier you have to really feather the throttle to avoid this and it is somewhat bothersome. I have owned alot of vehicles and this is the only one that acts this way. I kinda think it is related to the drive by wire technology. Thanks for the reply.

Dennis
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I'm not sure what the problem really is, but I doubt the "by wire" throttle is the culprit. I have the 4-cylinder with the 5-speed auto, and I haven't noticed any jerkiness.

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the problem is with the transmission itself or how it interacts with the V6 engine. Since I've never driven a Camry V6 (of any model year), I'm unable to provide any more information.

How about asking your dealer to allow you to drive another 3.3-liter V6 with the 5-speed auto to compare it with your car?
    OK Thank you very very much, problem solved... Now that wine noise coming from the Transmission, what is that?? please reply, thanks alot !!!
  • dadof2vetsdadof2vets Member Posts: 1
    Where is the fuel pump reset switch for a 1998 Toyota Camry? My engine turns over but there is no attempt for starting it. I would appreciate your input!

Thanks!
  • ict_jazzict_jazz Member Posts: 10
    I doubt this is it, but you might see if the 'combination switch' (handles the lights, signal and washers) is bad. I had to replace mine- salvage one ran about 85, installation was around 60.
    Is there a separate air filter for the cabin on a '95 Camry?
    It's a black sludge, definately NOT pale. I just had the tranny flushed/filled, and they said that if I have them do an engine cleaning with stuff from 'bp' (www.bpprod.com), most of that sludge should be cleaned out. Any thoughts/comments on bp products? A few shops around town have it.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I would have to have a knowledgeable mechanic look into the engine and say that is have sludge before I'd pay money to someone just selling a service and saying you conveniently have sludge so they can charge a $100 or more??? right?

I'd start changing my oil every 1000 miles with highway trips to let the fresh additives in the oil pick up the goop, sludge if any a little bit at a time. If you do your own oil changes that would be easy. If not I'd drive the car on a long, fast drive and stop and have the oil changed without cooling the motor down. That would solve your moisture problem or light crud accumulation with better flushing.

Some people take a cold motor directly to the oil change place. I feel that doesn't drain out the goop well.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Sorry, that should have been BG products, not BP! They've got more than 'just' the engine, too. p/s, brakes, fuel system, drive, etc. I'm coming up on my 100k mile service, doing 1 thing at a time, and just wonder if it's worth the extra to use them or not.

Actually, the engine flush was in the 35-40 range, but I'll have my mechanic look at it as well. From what I've read on here, the age of the car (95) and the miles (94,000), and since I'm guessing this car wasn't taken care of all that well before I got it, I'd be a little surprised if there wasn't at least some sludge in there.

1000 mile oil changes for how long? Short term thing (3-5 months), or pretty well from here out?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    The technique I was taught was it's better to absorb the crud than to use a chemical and remove it quickly where there may be chunks or bits come loose. Doing a couple of 1000 mile oil changes rather than 4000 especially with long, hot drives during those 1000 miles is going to remove buildup effectively.

I do my own oil changes, so it's convenient for me. Also I will put in half a quart of Rislone, which is a 5 weight oil with lots of additives but they're the same additives already in a quality oil, and run it for a couple hundred miles before the oil change as a cleaner. With today's oils it may not be adding anything but for $2.95 and it replaces half a quart of oil I still like it.

I have no idea what you driving pattern is nor do I know what you usually use for oil change intervals. I'm just telling my "gentle" method of cleaning her out.

My father, a tractor mechanic, used to put in a few quarts of kerosene and run a car, tractor, truck for a minute to "flush" it out. Those days the oils were not detergent oil and then the oils were the early detergents. There would be flakes of crud in the drain pan.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

About the trans not switching when cold are you using the toyota type transmission fluid when you changed the fluid or have you even changed the fluid in 41,000 miles a lot of people don't think about the fluid change in the transmission until about 50,000 miles and if you drive in heavy traffic the oil will start to break down faster. I change my transmission oil every 15,000 to 20,000 due to heavy traffic in california on our freeways. if you are able to change your own trans oil the toyota has a drain plug on the transmission and you can drain about 3 quarts at a time. I switched to synthetic transmission fluid made by Ams oil the universal transmission fluid from Amsoil does match the toyota type 4 trans fluid. Do not use dexron 3 type fluid in the new transmissions from 2002 to 2005 they take toyota special fluid type 4 it is designed for the newer transmissions. I have a 2005 toyota with the automatic 5 speed after talking with a transmission person at toyota he told me to leave the over drive out while driving in town or in bumper to bumper traffic to save on the transmission wear. Remember our toyota's are working harder than ever and we need to replace transmission fluid at least every 20,000 to 30.000 miles preferably at 20,000 miles. An old saying from the 1929 depression era take care of your car and it will take care of you.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    No, there isn't one. The 2002 was the first model year to get the cabin air filter.
  • new8new8 Member Posts: 7
    Camry 2005, has noise on CD player sounds like it's seeking track all the time even if I remove the CD from CD player. It's regular CD player, no upgrade or anything else. Could anyone tell me what happened and what I should do? Completely have no idea. Thanks for any answer. :cry:
  • msfixermsfixer Member Posts: 1
    My cluch was just replaced and the car is back together but now their is no power to the car, but when I try to put the battery cable on it sparks. I checked all the fusible links and fuses. Could you please help?
  • roadturtleroadturtle Member Posts: 6
    Well I have owned my 2006 Camry LE for one month. So far I love it. 26 mpg around town. I drive 90 % around town.
    The price was great $ 17,900 plus tax, and license. No problems so far. :)
  • iotadelta86iotadelta86 Member Posts: 3
    Hey all...I am 20 years old, and I think I want to get a 2005 Camry. The particular one that I want is an 05 LE with 17,500 miles on it and it is the phantom gray color... They are asking $18,900.00 I believe. The car itself is in good shape, one concern is that the 'Maintenance Required" light is on. I am wondering if possibly the pepoplel didnt change the oil yet enough? I am in Louisiana, and were still slow around here cuz of Katrina and the car was just taken in today so they had not detailed it or changed the oil, etc. Is this a good price? What should I look for in a newer Camry? What are some problem areas? Is getting it "Certified" worth it? Thanks for your help in advance!
  • guillguill Member Posts: 94
    I don't think $18,900 is a good price for this car. Explore the Used Cars section of Edmunds.com and look up the value of a used Camry with the exact specifications of the one you're looking at. FWIW, I paid $18,600 for my 05 Camry SE (phantom grey also) ... this was for a new car, hence why I think the asking price for the Camry you're looking at is too high.

Plus, look at the post just above yours, that person paid $17,900 for a new 06 Camry LE.
  • guillguill Member Posts: 94
    Being that it's a 05 it's still under warranty so I'd take it to the dealership and have them fix it.
  • us_eagleus_eagle Member Posts: 7
    I have a 99 Toyota Camry, the check engine light turned on yesterday. I know I can reader the trouble code myself if I have a code reader. but the price for the reader is in a range from $50 to thousands. Could you please recommend a code reader for my car?
  • chevymalibuchevymalibu Member Posts: 129
    no
  • melnjenmelnjen Member Posts: 1
    I just changed my engine oil two days ago. Now my heater does not work, but it was good before. Is it a fuse? Help! It,s cold.
  • wacamrywacamry Member Posts: 1
    Have the same problem with 05 V6 XLE. Three visits, some improvement after third service with reprogramming of some kind of processor. Now shifts pretty hard. Have driven other vehicles, both 04s and 05s that do not have this issue.
  • w2323w2323 Member Posts: 60
    Your breaks are wearing. Its just warning you. As breaks wear the fluid goes down farther. A sensor is telling you they are wearing.
    Hello,
    Thanks for the reply. Well I never changed the fluid in my transmission. So It looks like this weekend, thats the first thing Im going to do. The only time it ever does that tho, is when its a chilly morning, but I did hear that our Camry's are built to do that, so when the trans and engine are cold, it holds its gears a little longer to warm up the anifreeze. have you ever heard that one?? again thanks for the reply and Im going to change my transmission fluid every 20,000 miles !!! :)
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    I have not heard about holding gears longer when cold except for the final gear. Final gear won't engage till water warms up beyond a certain point on temp gage.
    2nd and 3rd gears are held longer during warmup as part of the emissions control programming. (Engines are at their "dirtiest" when they're operating cold.) Maintaining higher RPMs during acceleration under initial warmup brings the catalytic converters up to their optimum operating temperature more quickly. This cold operation transmission shift paradigm is S.O.P. among all makes.
    I am glad to see that you are going to change your transmission fluid every 20,000 miles I switched to ams oil synthetic trans fluid you can buy it on line at amsoil. Amsoil is compatible with the toyota type 4 trans mission fluid if you live in cold country the synthetic oil flows great at cold weather. If you weather get really cold use synthetic motor oil 5-w 30 if flows much better at cold temps and helps get the oil to the top of the engine for lubrication. I use mobil one 5-30 in my camry and lexus ls400 hope this helps and don't forget to change your power steering fluid every 30,000 miles.
    Without debating the merits of Amsoil, other niche brand, or mainstream aftermarket fluids that claim compatibilty, keep in mind that Toyota vehicles still under warranty that specify the company's proprietary "T-IV" ATF, the ONLY acceptable fluid for warranty claim consideration is genuine Toyota T-IV ATF. (The proprietary chemistry, itself, allows these fluids to be identified in the event of a warranty claim.) Anyone else's "compatible" universal ATF is just that company's best guess at the base oil compatibility with regard to anticipated heat and wear factors as well as the friction modifier chemistry to supply proper friction take-up properties for the friction facings used by a particular transmission manufacturer. Toyota has not released their proprietary T-IV ATF formula nor licensed it to others. Toyota is not alone in specifying proprietary chemistry. Honda, Hyundai, Ford, DaimlerChrysler, and Nissan, among others, have adopted this strategy. "Fair" or not, these companies are in full compliance with the Moss-Magnesun Act in specifying their respective proprietary fluids. However, Ford has readily licensed their Mercon V formula to independent blenders for some time. (WalMart supplies a fully licensed and qualified "SuperTech" Mercon V fluid for under $2.00/quart.) DaimlerChrysler has recently agreed to issue licenses to independent blenders to duplicate their ATF+4 fluid, too, so perhaps consumer pressure will nesessitate other automakers' doing likewise sooner rather than later. In the meantime, Honda and Hyundai automatic transmissions, both particularly noted for above industry average automatic transmission failure rates, are best not "experimented" with in regard to the ATF used - particularly important in the case of Hyundai's 10 yr./100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Fortunately, Toyota automatic transmissions are among the more reliable when the specified ATF is used and changed no later than 30,000 mile intervals (and 15,000 - 20,000 mile intervals are even better). Definitely take the 90,000 mile or longer "normal service" ATF change recommendations with a very LARGE grain of salt!
  • rj3182rj3182 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all.
    I recently brought a toyota camry 93-V6 from a dealer.
    Now i am able to hear some rubbing noise when i give gas.
    This sound is not heared often.
    I am really worried about this.Also i want to know what type of gas should i put for V6 engines.

Thanks
  • lvplvp Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem right now with my Solara, what did you end up having to do? I only have one Valet key and it is doing the same thing that you discussed. Please tell me there is an easy fix. Any info will help.

Thanks
    lvaughn13@hotmail.com
  • gdw1gdw1 Member Posts: 1
    Have a '96 Camry with the same issue. Have you been able to resolve? If so, how? Thanks...
  • lashun92lashun92 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the exact same problem with my 1997 Camry. But, I had kids under 11 in my car and there is no way that they hit the weight limit. Also, now it justs bottoms out with two people in the front. I already had the shocks & struts replaced, but I still have the problem. Did you ever find a solution?
This discussion has been closed.