Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Help with buying a used car...

ryanpk2018ryanpk2018 Member Posts: 11
edited November 2017 in General
I am in the market for a used car. I am trying to find a Honda CRV or maybe a Subaru Forester between 2010-2013 to keep it in my budget. My big question about buying used is if I should be seriously concerned about the mileage the car already has on it when looking at these two specific models/makes. For the budget I have I can't seem to find anything with less then 100k miles on it. Is that a bad decision? Should I just look for a model I am not really that fond of with lower miles? Should mileage not matter as long as the carfax looks good and I keep up with the maintenance? I am getting a lot of negative feedback from family about my decision to look at cars with over that amount of miles on it. They are all telling me I am nuts to buy something with that much already driven into it. Thoughts?

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Mileage matters. These cars hold their value well, which makes them expensive as used cars.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I would try for a less popular vehicle that has good reliability ratings. Does it need to be a crossover? In that category maybe a Hyundai Tucson or Kia Sportage?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,955
    suydam said:

I would try for a less popular vehicle that has good reliability ratings. Does it need to be a crossover? In that category maybe a Hyundai Tucson or Kia Sportage?

Or a Chevy Equinox / GMC Terrain.

Lots of choices in that particular genre; you just happened to select the two that hold their value the best.

Can you give us a little bit more context about this?

Location, driving needs, kids, miles per year, etc.

The more information we have, the better we will be able to help.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    In addition to the above, knowing your budget would be helpful.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    edited October 2017
    I generally agree with the other responders on this topic: Miles matter, and you're going to pay a lot more for these two models than you might for similar vintage (or newer) vehicles that might perform just as well. I am also a long-time owner of Subaru vehicles, so I can give you a little insight into them as they age (hint: They are not likely to be trouble-free!).

I actually just purchased a gen-three Forester this past June to replace the 2010 we had for nearly seven years, and I paid $16.5K for it (which I felt was too much for what it is, but happy wife....). This is a five-year-old car with, at the time, 52,000 miles on the odometer. So, what can you get for those miles and/or price in other brands? Hyundai/Kia, GM, Ford.... In the used vehicle market, I personally do not think you are any more likely to have trouble with those vehicles than with Subaru or Honda.

As you pass 100,000 miles, emissions controls (such as oxygen sensors, EGR), suspension components, transmission, head gaskets.... These all become concerns. So, is getting one of these on your price point worth the added maintenance costs?

My recommendation is to find a vehicle with fewer than 60,000 miles on it. That way, you are likely to enjoy a period of ownership that does not involve additional maintenance costs (while you plan for the inevitable expenses as the car ages). I personally have no issues owning high-mile vehicles, but I won't spend top dollar to acquire one when there are more prudent options out there.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ryanpk2018ryanpk2018 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the help! I won't be putting too much mileage on it myself. Probably 12k a year would be average for me. I was looking at these models since I need a car that is great in the snow. I am tired of driving a smaller car too so I wanted to bump it up a little in size. No kids. I think something great in the snow is key. I was looking at Civics before I decided to go bigger and I just think I am tired of slipping, sliding and being out of control in the bad winters here. I have a budget of 10k max. The mileage has been an issue with the cars I have been looking at. There never seem to be any local to me (44124 zip) with low mileage on them. Also, thoughts on buying from small dealerships? Is that risky? My family and friends are all telling me to go to big dealerships and to avoid the small ones.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well if you mean by "small dealerships", some little used car dealer with a dinky office that's not too clean and big "no Credit/No Problem" signs in the window, then yeah, I'd tend to avoid those places. Usually, they end up with auction cars that the big dealers did not want---higher miles, a bit shabby perhaps.

Now, having said that, there are, on occasion, independent used car dealers who are not small and are in fact pretty high-class operations, with a nice showroom, perhaps a 50 to 100 car inventory, all late model stuff.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    so, Cleveland. Should be a good market for domestics. 12K miles.year as an only car is a lot on one starting with miles in the 6 figures. An equinox is a good option.

and at that price point, factoring in running costs on a cheap car, you might be better off getting a blow out lease on something like a Tuscon or Equinox. In 3 years, factoring in depreciation and maintenance/repairs, might be just as cheap to drive new with a warranty.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    @ryanpk2018 - hello & welcome. How is your credit? If you do 12K per year and have a 10K Max Budget, have you looked into leasing a new vehicle? I'm sure you can find something in your wheelhouse and pay around $250 - $275 per month for a new car with a full warranty and low maintenance costs.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Slipping and sliding in the snow is a tire problem, not car problem. And springing for an AWD vehicle does not guarantee you are getting decent tires. In November is the wrong damn time to be looking for an all-wheel-drive vehicle.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Well, people need cars when they need them. Cleveland, AWD is nice to have. I think Chevy or Ford is going to be your best find for a Used AWD vehicle.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    actually, I forgot that. The prior generation Escape (up through IIRC 2012) is actually a very solid vehicle, and should not break the bank.

I do think that for a lot of people, that only have 1 car and really depend on it, and are not handy with DIY fixes, and inexpensive lease is a smart idea. Generally no maintenance issues to worry about, cost certainly, and reliable day in and day out. A $250/month lease is is roughly $10K over 3 years. A $10K, 100,000 mile SUV, that will have better than 130K on it in 3 years might be worth what, $4k? so that is $6K depreciation down. Add in repairs that are bound to happen, so maybe what, $2K at least? on the low side? Maybe $3-4 is something more expensive goes.

so putting it together, based on this, you can easily spend $10K in 3 years to own then dump a higher mile used car, with the time/hassle investment inherent in keeping one going. Or just fix your costs pretty much, and drive something way nicer.

but, looking at cars.com to see what is out there, these 2 popped up as interesting.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/709712103/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/716369564/overview/

Thanks so much everyone! It's a lot of info to think about! I'm going to start looking at cars with lower mileage. Leasing is not really that appealing to me. I would rather own the vehicle. Although, I am not in any way handy with things so the repairs will have to be paid for completely. If only I had been gifted with those skills! :)

I'll update if I find anything I want an opinion on. My dad actually came across a Mazda CX 7 for like 4k with 85k miles on it but it had repairs it needed and I could have sworn someone told me that specific model was problematic with needing things fixed all the time. Is there a make to stay away from these days that has a lot of issues with needing repairs all the time? Anything I should try to avoid?
    a CX-7 with the turbo engine can have problems.

edited October 2017
    Thanks Stickguy! I thought that was the case.

Also, what are your thoughts on a car with low mileage but is fairly old? I have found a few Honda CRV's that I was interested in but they were 2006 or 2005. The mileage wasn't too high but the year scares me a bit. I like those older Honda CRV models though with the tires on the back. I have always wanted one. But, a ten or more year old car kind of makes me nervous. Is it good to steer clear of a car that old even though it might have lower miles (like 60k)?

And finally, any thoughts on Nissan Rogue models? Are they dependable? I've seen a couple 2010-2011 Rogue's within my price range with close to 80-90k miles on them. Anything bad about those that I should steer (no pun intended) clear of?

Thanks again!
    when you get older or higher miles, condition (and how it was maintained) is the key. Needs a really good mechanics inspection. But, in general, older cars not driven a lot can have just as many issues (and can develop some due to not enough use). Plus, while they are cute, not really that great to drive compared to new models (in terms of features, performance, comfort and how it drives).

I tend to lean toward a newer car that was driven a lot but maintained well. Something like that red 2014 Escape I posted, but I also don't drive a ton of miles. at least you get a nicer, more modern car out of it.

Good points on everything you mentioned there. I don't want to have to start throwing money into upgrading the interior entertainment features too. I'm not a big fan of Ford though only because I owned an Explorer for 10 years and it gave me so much trouble and wound up being a big waste of money in the long run. So, maybe I'll just try to look for a Honda or Subaru model that I like with the lower mileage but possibly have to bump my budget a little. We'll see. I just want to find something super reliable that's going to last me at least 4 or 5 years with no MAJOR problems. Haha :)
    Part of the problem is that SUVs tend to be more expensive to start with than their sedan counterparts. You could more easily find a Chevy Malibu or Cruze that will fit your budget. Have you looked at a used Toyota RAV 4? That should be a very reliable vehicle.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Yes, true. I just feel a little more drawn to SUV's or cross-overs just because I feel a little safer in them in our nasty winters we have. But, I am open to sedans and coupe models too. I might just need to put some snow tires on it and go that route if it's a great deal. :) I am definitely interested in Rav 4's but haven't really seen many while looking. I'm keeping my eye out though! Thank you!
    2006 CR-V was the last year for GEN II. Those are great cars. The only weak spot was the A/C compressor.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited October 2017
    That's actually a REALLY good price on that 2010 CRV. Should be $2k more.

Of course, I'd be partial to the Magnum R/T. Hell, I wish I could buy it and have it sent to me. But with its accident history and current needs it visibly has, it is likely not a good choice for you.

qbrozen said:

Slipping and sliding in the snow is a tire problem, not car problem. And springing for an AWD vehicle does not guarantee you are getting decent tires. In November is the wrong damn time to be looking for an all-wheel-drive vehicle.

I've preached this many times to no avail. Have you seen some of the el-cheapo tires they put on some of the base model Small SUVs?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Buying used I doubt they’ll be OEM tires. And that’s one thing to especially check out when you buy a used vehicle.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    qbrozen said:

That's actually a REALLY good price on that 2010 CRV. Should be $2k more.

Of course, I'd be partial to the Magnum R/T. Hell, I wish I could buy it and have it sent to me. But with its accident history and current needs it visibly has, it is likely not a good choice for you.
    I like that 2010 CRV, the 2011 V6 Escape that @stickguy posted, and that 2010 RDX. 3 very solid choices at the price point.

@ryanpk2018 - just be aware (as others have warned) that a reliable vehicle DOESN't mean it will be maintenance free. Vehicles above 75K miles and 6+ years old need vital fluids to keep them going besides oil changes. Transmission fluid, differential fluid, brake fluid (hopefully this has been done at least 2x), coolant (hopefully this has been done at least 2-3x). Be on the look out for "el cheapo" tires that a dealer put on just to make an older car look more appealing. At 100K miles, these cars will need spark plugs.

don't forget timing belt service in some cases. That is $$$.

I definitely didn't forget about that. In fact, I will have to have to have that done on our Pilot which is closing in on 100K miles. I think the maintenance minder will call for it around 105,000.

CR-V has a chain, so that's a plus... don't know about the others.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I have a family member with a cousin that works at a dealership close by and they have a 2012 Mazda CX7 with 65k miles and a 3 year warranty for 10k. I am thinking that's the one. I wasn't too keen on Mazda but the all-encompassing warranty, the decent miles and the fact that it's a cross-over are appealing. I am not too happy about the entertainment features but I think I'll get used to it. Any thoughts on this model? Is it a decent one to go with?
    I have a family member with a cousin that works at a dealership close by and they have a 2012 Mazda CX7 with 65k miles and a 3 year warranty for 10k. I am thinking that's the one. I wasn't too keen on Mazda but the all-encompassing warranty, the decent miles and the fact that it's a cross-over are appealing. I am not too happy about the entertainment features but I think I'll get used to it. Any thoughts on this model? Is it a decent one to go with?
    FWD 2.5 or AWD turbo?

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited November 2017
    kyfdx said:

2006 CR-V was the last year for GEN II. Those are great cars. The only weak spot was the A/C compressor.

When I was still working I started hearing about A/C compressor problems with 2nd generation CRV's in one of these forums. I was puzzled and I asked our Service Dept and nobody knew what I was talking about. I had our Parts Dept pull up how many compressors they had sold and the number was no higher than any other models.

Of course when I reported back here I was tackled to the ground by some who thought because thiers went bad at 120,000 miles that ALL of them would go bad. Misery loves company I suppose.

Anyway, I retired and forgot all about it until one hot day the compressor in our much loved never a problem 2003 CRV decided to end it's life on earth in DRAMATIC fashion! This was around 75,000 miles.

Of course the metal from the blown up compressor shot all through the system making the replacement of ALL of the A.C components necessary! Luckilly I know an Acura Tech that moonlights and I was able to buy everything wholesale but STILL, it was a nasty hit to the wallet.

Since that time three years ago I have asked two or three 2nd Gen CRV owners if they have had a similar problem and nope, no problems so go figure! We gave the CRV to our son and other than an oxygen sensor it has been bulletproof at 105,000 miles now.
    https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/5273/honda/cr-v/honda-cr-v-ac-compressor-problems#latest

72 pages, 2100 posts.... Plus, it happened to you, and you don't think it's a real issue? Because of the techs at your dealership and three other people that it didn't happen to? :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

People who have no problems don’t post. The only way to know statistically if it’s a problem is to check NHTSB reports.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    kyfdx said:

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/5273/honda/cr-v/honda-cr-v-ac-compressor-problems#latest

72 pages, 2100 posts.... Plus, it happened to you, and you don't think it's a real issue? Because of the techs at your dealership and three other people that it didn't happen to? :D

I never said it wasn't an issue! It obviously WAS a BIG issue that affected a lot of people including myself. All I said was not ALL CRV's were affected. I suspect Honda may have had more than one vendor supplying A'C compressors during that period.

kyfdx said:

I never said it wasn't an issue! It obviously WAS a BIG issue that affected a lot of people including myself. All I said was not ALL CRV's were affected. I suspect Honda may have had more than one vendor supplying A'C compressors during that period.
    Well... I don't think anyone thinks that any problem affects all examples of a particular model, or even a majority. But, if it's 10%, that's a big deal, and a real issue, not just people griping. It's also something I'd look out for on a used car that's been reported to have problems. Like subframe rust-through on a Toyota truck (though that might be 50% of certain models)

The number of posts in an Edmunds discussion is certainly not a scientific statistical argument. But, you don't have to hear from all the people that don't have a problem, to know there might be a problem.

The Gen II CR-V might be one of the most reliable vehicles ever made, even with the A/C issue. I put 106K on mine. Wish I had the money back that I paid for that extended warranty.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The V6 AT issues were real too.

You can tell Honda makes pretty reliable cars, when those are the only things we can come up with for the last 25 years, other than the Takata thing, which hit almost all makes.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Wonder how many cars will never get new bags? I got a notice last week that takata went into BK and their is action against them. I'm glad I finally got the RDX done back in the summer.

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

Well... I don't think anyone thinks that any problem affects all examples of a particular model, or even a majority. But, if it's 10%, that's a big deal, and a real issue, not just people griping. It's also something I'd look out for on a used car that's been reported to have problems. Like subframe rust-through on a Toyota truck (though that might be 50% of certain models)

The number of posts in an Edmunds discussion is certainly not a scientific statistical argument. But, you don't have to hear from all the people that don't have a problem, to know there might be a problem.

The Gen II CR-V might be one of the most reliable vehicles ever made, even with the A/C issue. I put 106K on mine. Wish I had the money back that I paid for that extended warranty.. ;)
    Had I bought an extended warranty it would have been expired before the compressor blew. Buying an extended warranty is like buying insurance. If you do need it you'll be very happy you bought it. If not then you wish you had said no. When I was a manager for Sears years ago they really pushed what they called Maintenance Agreements. It was a huge money maker for them!
    qbrozen said:

FWD 2.5 or AWD turbo?

It was FWD 2.5...HOWEVER...I cancelled the purchase. Signed the papers on it and everything but called today to cancel. I didn't feel right about it for some reason. I didn't like that I wound up hearing things from Mazda owners after the fact who said, STAY AWAY!!! Back to the drawing board I guess. I still feel drawn to Honda. Having owned Ford, Chrysler and Dodge I want to stay away from those. I had problems with them and want to go with something different. I liked my Explorer but it gave me problems all the time. I was younger though and not as diligent about maintenance with it as I should have been which probably led to it's death at 103k miles. I might just go with a civic and invest in some great snow tires. That could be a good choice for the terrible weather we get here. I'll update if any new serious purchase options pop up! :)
    As long as you get any used car independently checked by a mechanic, either Mazda or Civic or many other vehicles should be fine. Make sure any Civic is in good working order too.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • rickdonrickdon Member Posts: 123
    To me, mileage is not too important anymore. I would check first the service/maintenance records.
    The FWD 2.5 is the more time economical and reliable CX7. The only issues I can recall that might concern me are on the turbo model.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,955
    stickguy said:

The FWD 2.5 is the more time economical and reliable CX7. The only issues I can recall that might concern me are on the turbo model.

Correct - as the owner of a 2.3T CX-7, they had a tendency to destroy engines. We got out of ours right around 60,000 miles.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

It was FWD 2.5...HOWEVER...I cancelled the purchase. Signed the papers on it and everything but called today to cancel. I didn't feel right about it for some reason. I didn't like that I wound up hearing things from Mazda owners after the fact who said, STAY AWAY!!! Back to the drawing board I guess. I still feel drawn to Honda. Having owned Ford, Chrysler and Dodge I want to stay away from those. I had problems with them and want to go with something different. I liked my Explorer but it gave me problems all the time. I was younger though and not as diligent about maintenance with it as I should have been which probably led to it's death at 103k miles. I might just go with a civic and invest in some great snow tires. That could be a good choice for the terrible weather we get here. I'll update if any new serious purchase options pop up! :)

As stated above, the 2.5 FWD is actually the good one. HOWEVER, you seemed convinced before you need AWD, so why compromise?

Our "spare" car is a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer that I picked up last summer for 3000.00. One owner, well taken care of and 150,000 miles. I think I've put maybe 500 miles on it in the months we've had it. Runs and looks just great! Had this been a 2003 Honda CRV or a RAV-4 the price would have doubled.

Snow hits, throw it in 4WD and off I go! Get tired of it in a couple of years I can sell it and maybe lose a few hundred dollars. It'll probably get 2-3000 miles a year and at that rate it should last awhile.
    wait, I thought you bought a cheap Ford Explorer recently? I would swear I saw pictures of it.

stickguy said:

wait, I thought you bought a cheap Ford Explorer recently? I would swear I saw pictures of it.

I did and my wife wouldn't drive it. It was just too big! Tre Trailblazer is more the size of her CRV!

You did see photos it was black.....probably still is! Sold it to a neighbor who loves it.