Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @rny421 that is quite the list all nice choices!
    @carnaught you are welcome!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    carnaught said:
    @my421, I cross shopped the Macan, Q5, X1 and I was waiting for the new X3 when the car came into the Port of Los Angeles with just what I wanted. The deal I worked for my ‘16 C300 trade undercut the Macan by between $16-17k.
    I'm interested in your thoughts on the Macan

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160
    edited November 2017
    @stickguy , correct – I’m putting on about 2k per month recently (last month was 3,500!). I probably will continue to put miles on at that rate for the next 6 months or so until a job that I’m working on out of state is completed. After that, it should settle back down to 10k-15k per year. I do like the looks of the 2018+ Tiguan (of course I like the new one), and forgot to add it to my list. I wouldn’t hesitate to suggest the Hyundai Santa Fe to a friend that was looking for an SUV, but it isn’t quite my cup of tea.

@qbrozen – Unfortunately, yes I like the 2018 GMC Terrain better. My parents have a 2014 GMC Terrain and it’s ok. The interior is not as nice as my Edge, but the new Terrain looks to be a step above the old one.

@carnaught – The Macan is also beautiful, but probably way out of my budget.

This list is also subject to change once I get out to drive them.
    2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    rny421 said:

@qbrozen – Unfortunately, yes I like the 2018 GMC Terrain better. My parents have a 2014 GMC Terrain and it’s ok. The interior is not as nice as my Edge, but the new Terrain looks to be a step above the old one.

Agreed the Edge interior is better, but I very much preferred the way the Terrain drove (I test drove a 2016 Terrain with the 3.6 and had a 2017 Edge loaner for a weekend [didn't look, but I'd imagine it was the 3.5]).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

The Edge has a very nicely finished interior. My Mother In Law just got one (after leasing 2 Flexes). Horrible rearward visibility.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Congrats, carnaught! Great to see a new car that isn't black, white or silver/gray. Umm, yes, like my XF...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

@kyfdx gave my two sence! hope it does help him out!
    edited November 2017
    qbrozen said:

Agreed the Edge interior is better, but I very much preferred the way the Terrain drove (I test drove a 2016 Terrain with the 3.6 and had a 2017 Edge loaner for a weekend [didn't look, but I'd imagine it was the 3.5])

If it was the 2.0L 4-cylinder in the Edge I would assume it would feel a little sluggish compared to the V6, despite having more torque than the V6 (275 vs. 253). Admittedly, I have never driven the 2.0L 4 cylinder though.

I wasn't a fan of the Equinox or Terrain with the 2.4L 4 cylinder. Extremely odd transmission mapping that hangs on to gears for too long, and it felt painfully slow.

Oh I'm sure. 3.6 only in those.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    qbrozen said:
    Being on my third 3.6 vehicle, I’d say it’s a fine power train.  A little thirsty, but refined.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

Being on my third 3.6 vehicle, I’d say it’s a fine power train.  A little thirsty, but refined.  

We had one in our 2008 VUE - I'd agree with that opinion.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Very exciting news.  I saw my 1st Civic Type R in the wild on my way home from work tonight.  Black.  It looks so much better in person than in the pictures.  Definitely an acquired taste.  It looks like a much more modern STi.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited November 2017
    rny421 said:

The Macan is a handsome crossover SUV. I like the growl from the engine, and the interior has great ergonomics and quality feeling switchgear. It has a very planted feel when driving it. I actually like the body-colored side panels better than the black ones, extra cost, of course. Although Mrs. Carnaught graciously gave me the official okie dokie to proceed with the purchase, I just couldn’t justify the price delta compared to the GLC.
    Dang it, I just looked up the 2018 BMW X3. I forgot it received a refresh, and the new interior looks great. Add another 2018 model to the list that's above my budget :'(

I might need to wait longer for these to come down in price. sigh.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I went through this exercise. Always something new coming to wait for, and usually over budget. Eventually you need to just pick something and buy it!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

carnaught said:
    The Macan is a handsome crossover SUV. I like the growl from the engine, and the interior has great ergonomics and quality feeling switchgear. It has a very planted feel when driving it. I actually like the body-colored side panels better than the black ones, extra cost, of course. Although Mrs. Carnaught graciously gave me the official okie dokie to proceed with the purchase, I just couldn’t justify the price delta compared to the GLC.
    I'm curious what you were comparing to come up with that price difference. I'm assuming not the base Macan. Is that correct? Because when I look at base model vs base model and add in premium package and some other goodies, it seems to be about a $7k-$8k difference.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited November 2017
    rny421 said:

Dang it, I just looked up the 2018 BMW X3. I forgot it received a refresh, and the new interior looks great. Add another 2018 model to the list that's above my budget :'(

I might need to wait longer for these to come down in price. sigh.

The G01 is a very impressive vehicle. The M40i would definitely be my choice.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

dang. Just saw a million+ BMWs recalled because of risk of bursting into flames? Not good when you have to tell your customers to park outside so your house does not burn down!

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    stickguy said:
    dang. Just saw a million+ BMWs recalled because of risk of bursting into flames? Not good when you have to tell your customers to park outside so your house does not burn down!
    I owned one of the early build E90s. It featured electrical issues and rattles that the dealer couldn’t quell. The later builds with the turbo engines had a bunch of issues as well. 
    qbrozen said:

carnaught said:

rny421 said:

I'm curious what you were comparing to come up with that price difference. I'm assuming not the base Macan. Is that correct? Because when I look at base model vs base model and add in premium package and some other goodies, it seems to be about a $7k-$8k difference.

@gbrozen, you are correct to assume that I’m not talking about a base Macan in my price comparison. What I am refering to is the price difference of similarly equipped Macans and GLCs, and specifically an OTD price offered by each dealer.

stickguy said:

Where did you read BMW told drivers to park outside? Both issues(PCV heater and blower motor harness) are voluntary recalls and I don't know of any fires that have been traced to either issue.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

It was on the news. I know I saw/heard that someplace.

Well, officially turned in the Sonata today (or "grounded" it in Hyundai speak). Quick process. Probably was only at the dealer for 15 minutes while they did some paperwork, check the miles, and took the plates off. Signed a couple of forms, and on our way. 3 years, and 20,845 miles, just flew by! Oh well, on to the next adventure. And I made it for real, by updating my signature. Dang, the RDX is now 5 years behind. Getting old, but at least paid off now.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    So my friends' car buying saga seems to be over. OMG, what a hassle for them. When are car dealers going to grow up? There was this phony charge, and THAT phony charge, and then the F&I gauntlet and then the credit check to see if they were terrorists (no, I'm not making this up). I told 'em to shop by Internet but they really wanted the hands-on approach. Be careful what you wish for.

Anyway, I think they ended up with a pretty good deal on a fairly well loaded 2017 Civic EX, with HondaSense and Lane Watch, and in the colors they wanted, for just about $22,750 out the door. I think that's pretty good for CA. Given that they keep a car forever, the depreciation hit on a 2017 wasn't really a factor for them. I would expect a similar 2018 Civic (same basic car as 2017 model) would have cost a few thousand more anyway.
    now that I got rid of the other car from the driveway, unearthed the new one and took the wife out to dinner. Her first ride in it (outside of a few test drives in different ones, she was never in ours). She gave it seal of approval. Seems to like it, though if she didn't, most likely would keep it to herself! Really impressed by how it drives. Quick, and very responsive. I had gotten used to the sluggish drive (straight to top gear, and lug along as much as possible). lots of torque, at low RPMs, is a nice thing in point and shoot driving.

Good MPG too. trip home from restaurant, all local streets with plenty of stop signs and traffic lights, TC said almost 31. So not going to complain about that.

Programmed my XM stations. And discovered that it has 40 presets available (the Sonata only had 18 I think, but had separate ones for FM and AM which I never listen to). I don't think there are even 40 stations total I have any interest in.

stickguy said:

It was on the news. I know I saw/heard that someplace.

This morning I read the official recall documents and no mention is made about parking outside. As a practical matter, the affected circuits aren't live once the car is shut off.
    I also talked to several of our techs today and they told me that they have only seen the situation described in a few isolated cases- and that none of them were remotely close to catching fire.

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    carnaught said:

@my421, I cross shopped the Macan, Q5, X1 and I was waiting for the new X3 when the car came into the Port of Los Angeles with just what I wanted. The deal I worked for my ‘16 C300 trade undercut the Macan by between $16-17k.

Very sharp ride Carnaught. Congrats.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    The piece about BMW was ABC news and by Brian Ross...overdone and complete with a picture of a partially burned down home. This is the same guy who did a piece about Toyota and you could clearly tell they were revving the engine with the the car in park to make it look like the car was racing out of control.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

carnaught said:
    carnaught said:
    @gbrozen, you are correct to assume that I’m not talking about a base Macan in my price comparison. What I am refering to is the price difference of similarly equipped Macans and GLCs, and specifically an OTD price offered by each dealer.
    But was it the Macan or Macan S?

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    edited November 2017
    I ended up filing a Better Business Bureau complaint after Mershon's (Springfield OH) was unable to correct the starting issues (failed alternator, voltage regulator and starter) and coolant leak after having the car (1963 corvette) on two separate occasions for over a month and a half. Thankfully I had a written service sheet. The manager Bob said "sorry it's a 50 year old car" after having the car for a month and sending it back with the same problems. I got a check for about $1550 within days of filing the complaint.

If you are looking at a car at Mershon's, proceed with caution. Interesting folks.
    tjc78 said:

The piece about BMW was ABC news and by Brian Ross...overdone and complete with a picture of a partially burned down home. This is the same guy who did a piece about Toyota and you could clearly tell they were revving the engine with the the car in park to make it look like the car was racing out of control.

Exactly. Here's a good analysis of the original ABC hit piece.

@houdini1, thank you!

@gbrozen, I was pricing loaded base Macans which were in stock.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    mjfloyd1 said:

I ended up filing a Better Business Bureau complaint after Mershon's (Springfield OH) was unable to correct the starting issues (failed alternator, voltage regulator and starter) and coolant leak after having the car (1963 corvette) on two separate occasions for over a month and a half. Thankfully I had a written service sheet. The manager Bob said "sorry it's a 50 year old car" after having the car for a month and sending it back with the same problems. I got a check for about $1550 within days of filing the complaint.

If you are looking at a car at Mershon's, proceed with caution. Interesting folks.

Interesting. A friend of mine that is a local car collector sold them a C2 and an early C3.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited November 2017
    Yes I was surprised too as they hold themselves out as corvette experts. They say that they go over the car thoroughly and even steam clean the undercarriage. 

I took the car car to get new tires and it had no nut or cotter pin on the stud connecting the pitman arm. I could have totally lost all steering control. 

I wasnt expecting a project car but that’s what I got. 

I think its because the the oldest guy there is Bob the manager. Everyone else is in their 20’s or early 30’s - including the mechanics. Not good. 
    Look at the 63 coupe that they have for sale now. They don’t mention that it was originally a Daytona blue exterior but you can tell when you look at the shot of the car’s interior and you can see blue at the edge of the upper part of the open door. It looks like the passenger front bumper is crooked and the passenger headlight fit is off.  I suspect a hard hit to the passenger front and they changed colors with the repair.  I could be wrong but that is sure what it looks like to me
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    I’m trying to wait until next year, but I really like this particular XC90.  Love the color combo, and it’s equipped with everything I want, plus the B&W stereo, which is a $3,200 upgrade new.

And I think I would want to go with a 2017, figuring it’s one model year to work some bugs out. 

Seems to be priced well too.  

This Vroom concept is interesting.  Sort of a carmax without a physical shop.  They focus on late model, low mileage vehicles. Shipping is included into the price, as is “return” shipping if you don’t like it for any reason, within 7 days and 250 miles.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/717922436/overview/

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I looked over a '62 Corvette Fuelie for a guy---only the more I looked, the more I suspected it wasn't a genuine fuelie. Uh-oh, Somebody's unhappy. The VIN tag definitely looked molested but the VIN matches the motor. I think it's a genuine FI motor and a genuine FI VIN tag, but where the body or frame came from? Anybody's guess. Only real solution is to lift the body off the frame and read the "secret" VIN number there.
    breld said:

I’m trying to wait until next year, but I really like this particular XC90.  Love the color combo, and it’s equipped with everything I want, plus the B&W stereo, which is a $3,200 upgrade new.

And I think I would want to go with a 2017, figuring it’s one model year to work some bugs out. 

Seems to be priced well too.  

This Vroom concept is interesting.  Sort of a carmax without a physical shop.  They focus on late model, low mileage vehicles. Shipping is included into the price, as is “return” shipping if you don’t like it for any reason, within 7 days and 250 miles.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/717922436/overview/

@breld, nice Volvo. What car would/will this car replace?

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    I like the price and free shipping on those cars from Vroom. Curious how competitive their trade prices are. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    @carnaught, a little late but congratulations on the new car. A MB dealer is next door to my Acura dealer and my wife took an immediate liking to the Mercedes SUV's on display and I like them as well. We plan to look at a CPO model when the time comes to replace her car.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    the GLC will be on the list in a few years if we decide to replace the RDX. Along with the next RDX whenever that finally shows up.

nice looking Volvo. My favorite color combo for one. But man, a lot of money for a used one.

@nyccarguy nice nice so you saw your first type R Friday ight nice nice have to see one in person still! got to see the new Acord on Saturday at the dealer had an bunch there not an fan nice interior tho! got the T Bird back on Saturday! if you go on my face book can see picks and stuff sounds so nice now! has to go back to the shop few things that should have bin rite discovered after getting it home wher not!
    @stickguy nice nice so Sanata is gon! and you got the wifes seal of approval on the new one nice nice!
    @Mr_Shiftright nice nice glad your frends found the car that they liked and wanted and are happy!
    @mjfloyd1 sorry to hear about all of your problems with that place and the corvette you have so they took it back? hoping this place whair my thunderbird was for 2 munths being fixed will fix the problems that should have never bin when whent to pick up the car on Saturday! we shal see they say they will!
    Question for those a little older than I am... Did the tax laws (or the interpretation of them) used to be such that you could just write off all operating expenses for a car, assuming it was at least partly used for business? Gas, oil, tires, brakes, etc.? I'm thinking of the 1950s. Found some old tax records which suggested that might be the case.
    edited November 2017
    Ugh, just figured out something this weekend. The Mustang has a monthly XM Basic subscription, while the Tahoe has a 6-month XM Select subscription. Discovered the Frank Sinatra channel on the Tahoe, which is pretty cool. Not available on the Mustang. :@

Also, went to a consignment store to meet a girl for our first date. Took the Mustang. While waiting for her to arrive, the "lady" who parked next to me slammed the rear passenger door of her Durango into the Mustang's front fender. I blew the horn and yelled at her, and she acted like she hadn't done anything. People just can't deal with being called out on their bad behavior. (I would have given her a real Chicago Hello had I not been waiting for a lady friend to arrive.) Will have to practice my touch up paint skills thanks to that idiot. :(