Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    I got an email from XM that they want to add the Elantra to my XM account (because it is on the same email address). I don't think so. will wait until late January, and play the game to keep it cheap. I eventually gave up and added the Sonata as a 2nd car on the main account (the RDX) to simplify things. At some point will just do the same for the new car. But not now. Need to call them to drop the Sonata, and just have them credit the balance to the account. The Jetta is on it's own account still, and that is paid for up past when the lease expires.

Vette, true about the different levels. The trial I have is "all access", but the old car has a more basic plan. Not sure what I will end up after the 3 months, but I believe the discount offers you talk them into are for lower level plans. The Elantra has a bunch of extras from XM which I assume require all access (weather, gas stations, some other stuff) though nothing you can't get off your phone apps.

reminds me. Need to try out car play this week. Baby steps.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    carnaught said:

breld said:

I’m trying to wait until next year, but I really like this particular XC90.  Love the color combo, and it’s equipped with everything I want, plus the B&W stereo, which is a $3,200 upgrade new.

And I think I would want to go with a 2017, figuring it’s one model year to work some bugs out. 

Seems to be priced well too.  

This Vroom concept is interesting.  Sort of a carmax without a physical shop.  They focus on late model, low mileage vehicles. Shipping is included into the price, as is “return” shipping if you don’t like it for any reason, within 7 days and 250 miles.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/717922436/overview/

@breld, nice Volvo. What car would/will this car replace?

The Volvo would be an upgrade (of sorts) to the Durango.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    corvette said:

Ugh, just figured out something this weekend. The Mustang has a monthly XM Basic subscription, while the Tahoe has a 6-month XM Select subscription. Discovered the Frank Sinatra channel on the Tahoe, which is pretty cool. Not available on the Mustang. :@

Also, went to a consignment store to meet a girl for our first date. Took the Mustang. While waiting for her to arrive, the "lady" who parked next to me slammed the rear passenger door of her Durango into the Mustang's front fender. I blew the horn and yelled at her, and she acted like she hadn't done anything. People just can't deal with being called out on their bad behavior. (I would have given her a real Chicago Hello had I not been waiting for a lady friend to arrive.) Will have to practice my touch up paint skills thanks to that idiot. :(

How'd the date go?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @corvette sad peapol are crazy would never hit my car door or anyone elces car door that I am in in to an nother car. wow so the mustang has XM
  • Options
    @breld, think you will be getting that Volvo before the end of the year! lollollol
  • Options
    @corvette how did the date go?
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    corvette said:

Ugh, just figured out something this weekend. The Mustang has a monthly XM Basic subscription, while the Tahoe has a 6-month XM Select subscription. Discovered the Frank Sinatra channel on the Tahoe, which is pretty cool. Not available on the Mustang. :@

Also, went to a consignment store to meet a girl for our first date. Took the Mustang. While waiting for her to arrive, the "lady" who parked next to me slammed the rear passenger door of her Durango into the Mustang's front fender. I blew the horn and yelled at her, and she acted like she hadn't done anything. People just can't deal with being called out on their bad behavior. (I would have given her a real Chicago Hello had I not been waiting for a lady friend to arrive.) Will have to practice my touch up paint skills thanks to that idiot. :(

You didn't get her insurance info??

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Date went well other than that! 
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited November 2017
    Sirius/XM is doing things a little different now. When I called to cancel my traded car’s service, they asked me if i replaced it. When I told them, I ended up adding the new car to my account, and applying the credit to the 6 mo. plan for $34, including all fees. This will go into effect when the 6 mo. free plan expires.

I always set a reminder on my smartphone to call 1-2 days before a paid subscription expires so I will not automatically get renewed at the more expensive rate. Now, this phone call allows me to renew at the special rate, or I tell them I’ll cancel.
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    edited November 2017
    @mjfloyd1 sorry to hear about all of your problems with that place and the corvette you have so they took it back? hoping this place whair my thunderbird was for 2 munths being fixed will fix the problems that should have never bin when whent to pick up the car on Saturday! we shal see they say they will!
    I still have the corvette. I’ve replaced the alternator (rebuilt actually since was correct 63 part), voltage regulator, bought correct starter, replaced with correct radiator and hoses, put in correct distributor, intake manifold and carburator. I also put on the correct mechanical fuel pump. That was a joy when the fuel line clamp came off sending fuel down my arm, into my armpit and down my side into my underwear. My language was quite colorful. 

There is is a really nice guy in Orlando who sold me the correct carburator that he rebuilt himself. He sends how to PDF’s of about anything you can think of. Next stop is a new transmission side plate with brass bushings to quell leaks and replace shifting forks. Then pull dash and gauges since the tachometer needle performed an exorcism on itself. 
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    '... into my underwear. My language was quite colorful.'
    LOL
    I'll bet.
    - Ray
    Not messing with stuff like that anymore ...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    mjfloyd1 said:

I ended up filing a Better Business Bureau complaint after Mershon's (Springfield OH) was unable to correct the starting issues (failed alternator, voltage regulator and starter) and coolant leak after having the car (1963 corvette) on two separate occasions for over a month and a half. Thankfully I had a written service sheet. The manager Bob said "sorry it's a 50 year old car" after having the car for a month and sending it back with the same problems. I got a check for about $1550 within days of filing the complaint.

If you are looking at a car at Mershon's, proceed with caution. Interesting folks.

Sorry, it's a 50-year-old car?! If anything, they should be even more ashamed of themselves! There are what, fifteen wires in the car? :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    breld said:
    Love the color combo, too. Those headrests in the front look painful, though. I wonder if that is the secret "stare at your belly" setting? :s
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Not to mention with that simple tech, it would probably be cheaper to replace the radiator and alternator/voltage regulator/starter than to fight it and settle for $1550. I guess they roll the dice and hope the new buyer backs down.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    The Seattle Auto show is this weekend. Any of you PNW peeps going? Breld, you can come too...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    My punch of the day is for 4 seats to Hamilton here in Seattle in February. Was able to get in before the Ticketmaster site crashed.

Probably the fastest I've spent $830...

@tifighter - totally forgot about about the auto show here - I'm hoping to go, but TBD.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I don't frequent this forum but I was wondering if that gal from Alaska is still around Akangl was her handle. She used to go through new cars like I go through socks!
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316

I don't frequent this forum but I was wondering if that gal from Alaska is still around Akangl was her handle. She used to go through new cars like I go through socks!

She posts infrequently - every few months or so - but we have a new champ in town.

His name is @breld, and between him and his wife, they have bought, I think, 8 cars in the last 12-15 months. He lives here in Denver, so we get together frequently for lunch and, on occasion, a test drive or two.

Nobody comes close.

Remind us again what's in your fleet now? I think you said something in a different thread about buying a new Civic sedan not too long ago....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    @corvette glad to hear that the date whent whell!
  • Options
    @mjfloyd1 glad you still have the Corvette! will take you sum time but you will slolly get it sorted out! just do as much as you can your selfe! and find an nother shop to bring it to when neaded! they are going to pick up my 61 Thunderbird tomero so they say to put the stearing wheele on the rite way and fix the stif shift lever and put the tirn signal stalk back on and fix my horne that does not work and work when I braught it to them two munths ago! also my fule gage worked before and was going to ajust the carb my selfe since gave this place extra week to do it after my full new custom exzost was put on car runs fine at itle and when driving but when you let off the gass at stop sighn or just stoping car dies! starts up alwas rite away! when sitting for an bit when getting cold has trouble starting witch never had before! other than those things witch they will fix car is nice! rust free and under coaded they did that for me to and love it!
  • Options
    @mjfloyd1 and yes shore your wher saying a lot of things not going to rite hear when the fule line clamp came off and you had gass running down your arm!
  • Options
    @xwesx I am with you they should be ashamed of them selves!
  • Options
    @breld nice colors on that Volvo so when are you picking it up! lollollol
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    xwesx said:
    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/717922436/overview/
    Love the color combo, too. Those headrests in the front look painful, though. I wonder if that is the secret "stare at your belly" setting? :s
    Intersting observation. Based on the 2nd row, I'd imagone the front headrests are in some sort of tilt position. I find that alone interesting since Volvo has historically had fixed headrests that tilt forward in an accident only. The leather also looks rather wrinkly for only 17k miles. Hmmmm...

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Drove the Volvo S90 again last Friday back to our office as Dollar/Thrifty had trouble renting it. Drove very nice but the tech took too long to figure out, still not sure I did it right! Same with the HVAC system, just not intuitive. Luckily, the infotainment center and the a/c stuff is pretty easy peasy in my Golf. Got my radio knobs which are something I must have in any vehicle as I hate pushing on screens and getting finger marks on it all. Time most manufacturer's get that and go back to simplicity in these things.
    Will be hitting 36K within a couple of weeks and hard to believe that'll be three years old next month. As of now, gonna keep it because it's official as of Sunday, we're having another wedding in the Sandman family! Sometime in later 2018 but haven't been told the exact date yet. Hoping they can attach it to a Monday holiday weekend as it'll be a Sunday wedding for sure.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options

Drove the Volvo S90 again last Friday back to our office as Dollar/Thrifty had trouble renting it. Drove very nice but the tech took too long to figure out, still not sure I did it right! Same with the HVAC system, just not intuitive. Luckily, the infotainment center and the a/c stuff is pretty easy peasy in my Golf. Got my radio knobs which are something I must have in any vehicle as I hate pushing on screens and getting finger marks on it all. Time most manufacturer's get that and go back to simplicity in these things.
    Will be hitting 36K within a couple of weeks and hard to believe that'll be three years old next month. As of now, gonna keep it because it's official as of Sunday, we're having another wedding in the Sandman family! Sometime in later 2018 but haven't been told the exact date yet. Hoping they can attach it to a Monday holiday weekend as it'll be a Sunday wedding for sure.

The Sandman :)B)

The recent wedding was for your son, right?

This next one is for one of your daughters, so the bill will be much bigger, I suspect!

Nevertheless, congratulations on the upcoming nuptials.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    @sandman_6472 all good news in the up cumming year next year! same hear young guy hear around your kids ages and wish things would go back to being simple nobs no mor tuch screans for everything!
  • Options
    xwesx said:

mjfloyd1 said:

I ended up filing a Better Business Bureau complaint after Mershon's (Springfield OH) was unable to correct the starting issues (failed alternator, voltage regulator and starter) and coolant leak after having the car (1963 corvette) on two separate occasions for over a month and a half. Thankfully I had a written service sheet. The manager Bob said "sorry it's a 50 year old car" after having the car for a month and sending it back with the same problems. I got a check for about $1550 within days of filing the complaint.

If you are looking at a car at Mershon's, proceed with caution. Interesting folks.

Sorry, it's a 50-year-old car?! If anything, they should be even more ashamed of themselves! There are what, fifteen wires in the car? :D
    I think that you have to have a conscience to feel shame. I suspect that they were just angry because they had to take profit off of the books.
  • Options
    @Marcothecarguy1986 - so far I've done (and unfortunately sometimes re-done) all the work myself. Good luck with your T Bird!
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    mjfloyd1 said:

@Marcothecarguy1986 - so far I've done (and unfortunately sometimes re-done) all the work myself. Good luck with your T Bird!

I think we can all relate on tackling the same problems with our cars more than once. ;)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    2 years today with the GTI. Time really does fly.
  • Options

2 years today with the GTI. Time really does fly.

Happy anniversary! You still enjoy driving it every day?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    I'm at 12 days! Almost 125 miles (though it started with 40). I might need gas before Christmas at this pace.

Used CarPlay last night to navigate. Really slick product. Worked great. Just wish it ran google maps, or at least waze. But apple maps is much Better than nothing.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I'm at 12 days! Almost 125 miles (though it started with 40). I might need gas before Christmas at this pace.

Used CarPlay last night to navigate. Really slick product. Worked great. Just wish it ran google maps, or at least waze. But apple maps is much Better than nothing.

I don't mind using Apple Maps with CarPlay. Have you tried using Siri yet?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    @Michaell - I do still love it. Occasionally my eyes wander towards something that would be a bit more roomy inside, but for the money, I doubt I could find something I like better.
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @28firefighter - congrats on the GTI anniversary.  They are such great cars - it is indeed difficult to find the same combination at that price.  

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    anonymousposts1anonymousposts1 Member Posts: 18
    Long time, no post. Good to see the same ole crew hanging around and punching their cards! Gee and I have been busy having kids (up to three now) and working too much so our car buying ways have slowed down. .
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    Blast from the past alert! Congrats on the brood...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    New ID and everything. Welcome back. Congrats (I think?) on the extra kiddies!

• Options
    Nice to hear from you guys! 
  • Options
    anonymousposts1anonymousposts1 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks guys! Congrats are in order, mostly .. lol. New ID required, it had been too long since I last logged in and I no longer had the old email address. I recently quit my 18 year career in automotive retail and we are in the process of getting our own dealer license. Should be fun!! 
  • Options
    Good way to feed the addiction I guess. So good luck.

• Options
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I don't mind using Apple Maps with CarPlay. Have you tried using Siri yet?
    I only tried CarPlay once, because I had to go to an appointment. And wanted to try it. I never use Siri on the phone, but guess I need to start. Though I don't plan to have car play running when I am not navigating.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

Long time, no post. Good to see the same ole crew hanging around and punching their cards! Gee and I have been busy having kids (up to three now) and working too much so our car buying ways have slowed down. .

Who did you used to be on here? ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    She was anonymous

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    anonymousposts, I think. And her husband was gee35coupe. 
  • Options
    edited November 2017

mjfloyd1 said:

I think we can all relate on tackling the same problems with our cars more than once. ;)
    Well, maybe not all of us.... *cough* breld *cough*
  • Options
    corvette said:

anonymousposts, I think. And her husband was gee35coupe. 

Oh, gee35! Weren't they in the process of moving, or looking for a minivan (or something along those lines), before we received the silent treatment?
  • Options
    @mjfloyd1 thank you they came today to the house to pick it up now if they can get rite what I braught it there for and payed for we shal see! hoping for the best! if not will never go to this place anymore but hoping it does not come to that! things do happen and yes we all can realate to this stuff on are cars new or old! and yes re doing things few times!
  • Options
    @28firefighter nice nice how the time does fly!