Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    My strong suspicion is that Toyota engineers have been concentrating on and working diligently to alleviate, reduce the duration of, the "designed in" engine/transaxle delay/hesitation. Having not experienced either of the delays, assuming both exist, I'm kinda shooting in the dark.

The "designed in" delay is likely relatively short in comparison, but will still be quite noticeable, even an irritant, for those having previously, say for a lifetime, driven automatic transmissions absent the delay enabled by the new DBW system.

It is entirely possible, from my viewpoint, that Toyota isn't even aware of the few drivers complaining of the extended delays of 1 to 2 seconds vs those that probably number in the thousands that complain of the 200 to 500 millisecond delay.

Look at all the postings here and elsewhere of individuals that readily acknowledge experiencing "the" delay but then go on to deny, oftentimes vehemently, its seriousness.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    I have always felt (no scientific basis, just my opinion based on the various descriptions of the problem and what I have experienced as a passenger in one) that the hesitation is present in all the subject models, but that it manifests itself to different degrees based on some unknown factor -- so that the description varies from "don't feel it", "feels a little funny", "hesitates but not a safety concern" to the extreme of "serious hesitation that is a safety concern". We knew about the designed in hesitation, so the unknown factor could be the accelerator issue you are talking about. Sounds like it is a simple fix, but how does one go about testing it? Mert2 could take your posts to his dealer and say "try this" but what are the chances that they actually would do it? I think he is still under warranty, so I don't think it would be smart to go to an independent mechanic for this. So... what next?
    I'm currently more concerned with what happened with me this morning than I am with any possible flaw in the accelerator pedal sensor voltage tolerance.

I most definitely had my left foot on the brake, firmly, as I shifted out of park and into reverse this morning. Assuming that the firmware designers used my logic, "the accelerator pedal will ALWAYS be fully released when shifting from park", then I could see how multiple drive cycles with the accelerator pedal at differing positions for each one would end up confusing the ECU as to exactly where "fully released" might actually be.

So at this moment I am more concerned with the possibility of unique actions of a few drivers that inadvertantly result in the ECU not having stored/computed the correct sensor voltage value for the "at rest" position of the accelerator pedal.
  • junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    My wife and I have a 2002 Camry LE V6 and a Highlander V6 and have never experienced any hesitation. Also, neither of us uses the left foot to brake nor do we hold the brake while pumping gas. Our driveway is also on a slight hill and we both use the right foot to slow the vehicle while backing out to the street.

I think we have this habit because these two autos are the first automatic trans cars we have owned. When one is driving standard shift cars it is impossible to use the left foot to brake.
  • johne417johne417 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 4 cylinder 94 Camry LE.

I do not recommend anyone trying this, but here's a funny anecdotal story - we honestly got 100,000 miles on the original timing belt that came with the car.

In 97 I was 17, always borrowing my dad's 94 Camry. My dad bought a new car (97 Camry), and I got to drive his "old" 94. The next year one of my sisters got her license, and for the next 3 years the car was passed around (and fought over) by three teenagers, none of whom really kept up with the scheduled maintenances - we were teenagers, not car-savvy, too poor, and no single one of us really owned it anyways. Every now and then my mom would take it in for oil changes and whatnot, but she's not at all car-savvy.

Anyways, before going away for my third year of college, my parents basically decided to give me the car, and my mom and I took it in at just over 100,000k for a tuneup. The guy said the timing belt was so cracked he couldn't believe it hadn't snapped yet. Talked it over with my mom, and we realized the thing had never been replaced.

I still drive this car. Call him Old Faithful. This past December the replacement timing belt jumped a notch and had to be replaced, at 170,000 miles. "Only" got 70K out of that one.

At 130,000, in the summer of 2003, the battery failed and needed to be replaced. They said it just got too corroded. I can't ever remember replacing that either, but batteries can't last 9 years, can they? Maybe my dad had it replaced for some reason before my sisters and I got it.

I'm gettin ready to turn 175,000. Gonna get him to 200. Still runs smooth as ever. Likes to leak oil though.
  • pranrasvijpranrasvij Member Posts: 4
    Hi - hope someone can help here :(

I am feeling vibrations from the engine through the brakes when the car is stopped at a light (or when i use the brake with the Auto in D/R/L/3 any of these). When I brake and put transmission to Park/Neutral the vibrations are the least and almost negligible.

Can someone shine a light here? It is brand new car and just started this vibrations after 70 mile mark! BAD new car experience.

The vibrations are not present while driving or using accelerator. There is no rattling that infects so many of these.

thanks in advance, folks!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Please let's try to limit technical back and forths on the engine hesitation issue, as it tends to dominate the topic and not give other Camry owners a chance to discuss various other issues.

If you'd like to have technical back and forths, try private e-mails. Thank you

Host
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    Any chance you will be reopening the "Toyota-Lexus transaxle shift delay" forum that was intended for this type of technical discussion of the issue?
    that's a management decision at this point, I don't know really....I'll make a note to ask...

AND....back to Camrys!!
  • ewe2ewe2 Member Posts: 20
    I'm just surprised that going along at 75 mph. You approach the slightest of grades and it downshifts. I can alleviate most of the downshifts if I switch off the cruise and just use the pedal.
    :-)
    D
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    Possibly is a stuck EGR valve. Ask for it to be inspected and replaced. There may be a way to clean one...if you could get at it.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Batteries can last over nine years. I had a Sears DieHard battery in my old Volvo 240 that lasted just 2 months shy of 10 years: Nov. 1985 to Sept. 1995.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    That means getting the engine started.
  • themoon77themoon77 Member Posts: 102
    Pat--which message were you replying to?

Edge
  • themoon77themoon77 Member Posts: 102
    Lately I have been losing coolant--I have to top off the radiator about every three weeks. There is also a "waterfall" sound coming from behind the dashboard directly in front of me whenever I accelerate from a stop. Could the issues be related? I hear the noise with the heat on and off. Car is an 89 Cam V6. No water leaking inside the car that I can tell, no leaks other than oil on the outside.

Edge
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    One that has been removed, apparently. Someone asked what was meant by the phrase turning the car over.
  • mike32mike32 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 xle. The front end is too soft. Want to change shock / struts to firm it up. Any suggestions on what to use. Would prefer an adjustable type of shock.
    MALIBU
  • rich27rich27 Member Posts: 1
    Go to another dealership - quality of mechanics vary drastically.
    Camrys are slow; get Altima - cheaper and MUCH faster -
    0 to 60 mph in 5.9sec!!! :)
  • derekv2derekv2 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue, did you get any solutions?
  • crumpnastycrumpnasty Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Solara SLE and when the dash lights come on they seem to flicker, almost looking like they are going to go out. Also any of the instrument panel lights seem to flicker as well. How do i correct a situation like this, The check engine light just came on also, I just tripped the 60,000 mile mark, Should i take it into the dealership?
    Thank you
  • slagfyshslagfysh Member Posts: 7
    I have a 99 Camry, 4 cyl, auto, with 112,000 miles. For sometime now I've been experiencing a noise that I can best describe as a course whine. It occurs when car is at a steady speed near coasting. A change in accerelator position either applying or releasing will stop noise temporarily. Any ideas?
    Sounds like a gear noise in the transaxle. Might want to check your transaxle fluids
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    You want us to read your warranty policy for you??????????
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Why are you even bothering to respond to a nearly 2-year-old post?
  • winkeywinkey Member Posts: 1
    I just purchaed a new 06 XLE-V6 and cannot believe that I can't get an ash tray installed in the car! I love the car and bought it despite this silly practice that is so prevelant.

Does anyone know about aftermarket installation of a smoking package?
    Don't the new Camrys come equipped with ashtrays? Even though I don't smoke, I still use the ashtray for small items.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    $17 parts option for 2007 for a cup like device with a lid that sits in 1 of the cup holders. Lighter and Ashtray were over $50 List from the dealer for earlier Camrys.
    Our 2002 Camry LE V6 came with an ashtray and lighter along with another ashtray in the backseat area. Has Toyota stopped putting ashtrays and lighters in their cars? My 2003 Highlander base model also has an ashtray and lighter.
    I see what you mean now. I looked at the sticker from the car and it does show a $79 charge for the ashtray and lighter.
  • slagfyshslagfysh Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the tip. I changed the transmission fluid about 2500 miles ago using Valvoline high mileage fluid. The noise did start after that. I'll revisit that project and change back to Toyota fluid and see if that corrects the problem.
  • jdoyle1jdoyle1 Member Posts: 2
    I just replace the battery in my '02 V6 Camry and the engine refused to idle when I started it. It runs fine, but will die if you take your foot off the gas. I find it hard to believe that this could be connected to battery replacement, but it happened at that moment. Anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks,
    John
  • leem2leem2 Member Posts: 6
    I have similar problem (see my posts earlier) and also have had the battery replaced a few month ago. The only difference is, my car will stall ocasionally, maybe once or twice a month. I wonder if it has something to do with the battery replacement. I'm waiting for these problems to be reported here before I attempt to fix it, as it seems to be an unknown problem to all mechanics I spoke to. But again, my problem is a bit different - it happends only a couple times a month. Please let me know if you get it fixed - leemelnikov@hotmail.com
    Thanks.
  • monnnmonnn Member Posts: 1
    Okay.. I have a 1988 Camry LE. Two weeks ago I checked out my oil and noticed it was milky... great. I took it into my mechanic and they fixed a blown head gasket. I was cautious about getting the work done because it was real expensive and the car isn't worth more than about 2-3k. They fix it, and as I was driving home, less than two blocks away from the mechanic, the car is about to overheat. I turned it off and got it back to the shop, where they told me that they had forgotten to properly re-attach the radiator hose after they flushed it. They fix it. I drive it home, it's still getting too hot.... I know that the fans aren't coming on right, but I am able to keep it from overheating (by keeping the AC on) until I can take it BACK AGAIN to the mechanic. I just noticed huuuuuuge amounts of water leaking from all under the engine, and the engine itself is smoking some... (the part they fixed is smoking). Before I took it in it wasn't leaking water at all.... Kind of wondering how mad I should be at the mechanic or what is causing the loss of water this time...
    -Monica :sick:
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    ask the dealer or perform some research (google, or call to independants) to determine if your vehicle has some form of "IDLE LEARN" procedure when a battery has gone bad and been replaced. it's possible your vehicle might need the parameters for idle re-established. good luck.
  • mugupomugupo Member Posts: 4
    :cry: Ok the 89 carmy is own by mom for a while, laterly is having alot of problems, only has like 130,000 miles but laterly wasn't pretty, one of serious problem laterlyt is the gauge light don;t light on, (only the 2 meter section don't show any light at all, the message(belt etc.. do has light) before is kinda weak but now is total gone? any suggestion? radio work, also currently accelation is a big problem in highway is getting slower and slower at a higher attitude such as hill size, everyone is like 60 and I in below 40 speed during those situation. Please help. Or email me.
  • emcqueenemcqueen Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2002 Camry w/ 116k miles. On the road last nite while maintaining constant speed of 65, I heard a brief, loud screaching sound...last just a fews seconds. At first I thought it was a bird but it came again w/ less intensity a few mintues later then again in about 15 minutes. It sounded a little like a slipping fan belt or power steering pump but could it be an alternater or water pump going bad? Any other thought appreciated. Ed
  • mugupomugupo Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know which side has 89 carmy maunal to view? my carmy dash board fuse light brown out? what is the volt of it? need help?
    A/C compressor clutch kicking in often results in the belt slipping for a few revs. Turn off the A/C to verify but remember it runs automatically in defrost/demist/defog with no indication to you.
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
    I have a 94 with 2.2L I4 engine. Recently, typically when engine is cold, the engine stall right after it starts. I have to press the gas padle to sustain at around 800 to 1000 rpm to keep it running. As soon as I lift from the gas padel, the engine stall. It is not absolutely in early morning when the temp is chilling. It could happen in the afternoon after the car parked for several hours. It took me about 1/2 to an mile to have this problem disappear. It also surface when shift into Drive. Last week, this temp solution didn't work after 15 min. warm up and drive for one and half miles (by left foot on the break). This morning, the temp solution 9warm up + 1/2 mile) works again when I drove to garage. They will keep my car and try tomorrow morning. I suspect the temp sensor(air sensor?) failure (not dead completely so check engine light doesn't come up) since it happened before and I replace it at about 65k. I like to know if there is other possibility for this problem? Please help. Thanks.
  • tdfortw0807tdfortw0807 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 camry and the temp gauge does not work. I thought maybe it was a fuse but I do not see from the owners manual where a particular fuse is linked to the gauge. any ideas on where to look next?
  • jonatyjonaty Member Posts: 1
    Am a new visitor to this site and are wondering if you found the problem. I have a 93 Camry and have experienced similar problems. We also have a problem with the front passenger door. Each time we use it the dome light flashes, the open door dash light flashes and the car will beep for about 30 seconds and then stop. Any ideas?
  • kaarona1kaarona1 Member Posts: 8
    I just had my front struts and mount replace on a 99 solara SLE and WOW what a difference. They are so quiet and smooth now I can hear a small knock in my rear strut. Does anyone know how to get to the rear strut mount?? I was going to try to tighten it up before replacing. I looked in the trunk but did not see access to it. Is is behind the back seat? Thanks!!
  • stevedevostevedevo Member Posts: 2
    Hi; I'm new to this post, so I hope to learn a lot about my "new" camry. I have a 92 camry LE 3.0. There's no instrument or back light for my heater/ac controls. Does anyone know if I pull the trim and control panel out, is there a "mini" bulb I can replace, or is the light built into the control cicuitry board???Thanks in advance for your help. Steve....
  • stevedevostevedevo Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I have a 92 camry LE 3.0. Anyone know the location of my thermostat? The Chilton's manual sketch seems to put it righ along side the water pump intake hose. Is this right? Thanks. Steve.
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    You should be able to replace the bulbs if you can access to control pannel
  • emcqueenemcqueen Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your response - the air was probably on since it was warm that evening (we had returned from a week in FL to Ohio). On my next trip OOT, I'll leave it off to see if the sound comes back.
    Ed
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I scraped my alloy wheel on a curb today. It's pretty bad, into the bare aluminum. Can anything be done to make it look not so ugly. I'm so upset :cry:
    they can be repaired but you have to send it somewhere. It's not a home garage kind of job. First thing, find out how much a new one is and balance that against repair costs.
  • another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    Try http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=30

I haven't personally done this, but a friend of mine's done it with good results.
This discussion has been closed.