Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

General Motors Fans

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I always go to foreign press first for my news.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I happened to get a new Malibu rental this week from Budget.

I'd have to say that I'm generally very impressed with the car. The interior is a sea of black with cloth dash inset (a nice touch), attractive layout. My only interior complaint would be a bit too much hard plastic. Also I don't really care for all black interiors but that seems to be the standard color everywhere these days. There was some chrome trim around the air vents.

The driving experience was very good - firm, rattle-free, quiet on the road with nice steering and brake feel. The engine seemed good as well, just a little bit coarse under acceleration. The car had auto start/stop and it worked pretty seamlessly. I had rented a BMW 3 about a year ago that also had auto start/stop and that car was a mess of vibration when the engine started. The Malibu was almost unnoticable in how effortlessly it seemed to start the engine when needed.

I also think the exterior of the Malibu is very attractive in a conservative way, the rear reminds me a bit of the Mazda 3 which I also find a nice looking car.

I was a bit surprised that the Malibu seemed fairly tight inside in dimensions as I thought it was a size class above the Cruze, but from my memory it doesn't seem to be much larger inside.

Overall a nice car and effort from GM, huge improvement from say 10 years ago.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,093
    edited February 2017
    I like the cloth on the dash. Even my new Cruze has that.

I think the rear styling of the Malibu is 3/4 Impala.

I mentioned earlier, I bought a new Cruze LT built in December 2016 for $11,895. I had a couple things the average buyer wouldn't have, but I am delirious about the car at that price, and it's a local product where I live.

I think one thing the Malibu should have, is a bright side molding like the top-level Impala has. Plain sides and no side molding of any kind available.

Impalas have gotten good reviews since day one of the current style, but aren't selling now. If I were buying a car just for me, I'd buy one. Friends have an '15 LTZ and love it, and I've been in it--it's a luxury car IMHO. I think it's too big for the average buyer and I know my wife would have dings all over it in no time. :)
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    I'm 900 miles into my 2nd cruze now, 2017 diesel stickshift LT, with price deliriousness helped by gm card $1k round-up . the engine only stops and starts when i push the button, hooray.

my eldest son has had 2011 Cruze LS 1.8 stickshift for a couple years, it's been a fine car for him too, it's got >>100k miles now.
    I'm crushed by Lordstown closing announcement. I have lived within 35 or 40 miles of either side of it, since 1966.

I could not be happier with my '17 Cruze LT, bought new. Low initial purchase price and even with our horrible roads, it's as rock-solid-tight as the day I bought it. I have ridden in a recent Focus and I did not like it nearly as much, especially the interior. Outside, I like the Cruze LT's aluminum wheels and bright belt molding. Inside, I like that the Cruze has chrome around the instruments, shifter, and A/C vents, and cloth on the right portion of the instrument panel, avoiding that plastic-is-everywhere look.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    edited December 2018
    I am sorely disappointed as well. Through the years I have had cars built at each of the plants that are scheduled to close. While I currently have Hondas, I was considering several GM sedans as my next car, I guess not.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Sorry about the local shutdown uplanderguy. You've always been eloquent about your local area and your dedication to buying locally made cars.

I've always said since the 2008 meltdowns that the real test of GM would be in the next economic downturn. I never expected the economy to roar for 10 years which I think is a new record.

But it does appear that Mary Barra is making the tough choices in advance of a meltdown that hopefully keep GM stronger over the long haul. Unfortunately I don't seen a way for both having all the old plants and supporting all the high paid UAW and still staying competitive. So perhaps this move helps reduce the chance of another BK.
    One major reason for the switch from sedans is CAFE standards. All this talk from GM management about remaining competitive blah blah must be taken with a major grain of salt.

If you can make your "car" a "truck" by lifting it up a bit and calling it a CUV, you fall into a different (less strict) level of emissions standards. Which means less cost, which means more profit.

I went to a nearby dealer last Sat. to look to see if they had any '18 Cruzes left (at discounted prices). They had none. They did have '18 Malibus left.

Getting my PT serviced this morning, a customer told me that Lordstown is working Saturdays now as dealers are wanting more Cruzes. Closing in March; working Saturdays in December. Go figure.
    See my post above which might help you make sense of it.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think the Cruze ended up a decent car. But I seem to recall when it first came out years back it had more than a few teething problems. May have driven potential buyers off. Auto companies never learn to make sure the vehicle is really ready before rolling it out to dealer lots. Honda may be experiencing some of that the past couple of years too.
    edited December 2018
    I have a '15 LS (non-turbo) I bought for my daughter at 19K miles a little over a year ago and she uses at college. I would say it feels heavier than my '17 and has maybe slightly less tire noise, but it is much smaller in the rear seat and the interior finishing shines in my '17 in comparison. After 12K miles in the '15 we haven't done a thing except oil changes and a tire rotation.
    I have goofed on Consumer Reports many times, but the Cruze is currently on their "Recommended" list. The Focus is not.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    I drove a manual Cruze Eco back in 2012; it seemed like a solid car. I would have considered it if I was looking for a car in that market segment.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

berri said:

I think the Cruze ended up a decent car. But I seem to recall when it first came out years back it had more than a few teething problems. May have driven potential buyers off. Auto companies never learn to make sure the vehicle is really ready before rolling it out to dealer lots. Honda may be experiencing some of that the past couple of years too.

I still think GM should have changed their name in 2008 or 9. The question is was the name of enough value where loyalty was higher (say the midwest) versus the baggage that it had elsewhere (say the coasts)?
    edited December 2018
    I mentioned above how I have goofed on CR. Today I looked through their magazine on shelves dated 1/19, that was a purchase guide. I looked for Ford Focus information. None whatsoever. Totally omitted. That's a pretty big 'duh'.

I may have mentioned that when I bought my new Cruze, they had it heralded as "Much Better Than Average" reliability, which even then struck me as premature being that new model was a 2016.5. Six months later--literally--they were saying the car was "much worse than average"--a decline of four categories. It is now considered 'average' reliability, and is "Recommended" by them.

From their charts, there is no way to differentiate between a 2016 Cruze Limited and a 2016.5 Cruze--totally different cars; one chart. They no longer have any differentiation based on engine chosen, like they ALWAYS used to have.

I think people consider them "the Bible", and it seems like they think that themselves. I have no doubt the decline in current Cruze sales is at least partly based on CR's zig-zaggy reliability charts. Speaking personally, mine has been absolutely excellent...with no schizophrenic ups-and-downs.

Maybe it's time for CR to rethink their process.
    edited January 2019
    While looking at Equinoxes today, I stumbled across a couple new Blazers at our nearest dealer lot.

Was I ever underwhelmed.

Looked just like everything else in the SUV field. Size-wise, I'd say it might be a bit bigger than the last-to-current Equinox. So now, they have the Trax, Equinox, Blazer, and Traverse, in ascending size, before getting to Tahoe and Suburban, of course.

The one Blazer I looked at was built in Mexico, with engine and trans built in U.S. Disappointing too.

I don't get the SUV trend of the quarter window kicking up, making a blind spot.
    I used to be so excited to spy my first new model of Chevy. Now, meh.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Looks best in dark colors, you can't see the cliched faux floating C pillar.
    The Blazer and new Honda Passport are entrants into the Ford Edge two row crossover niche, except while Edge seems to go for comfort and in some models sport, these two entrants are higher off the ground and shorter than their 3 row companions, so more toward the Jeep market I guess.
    edited January 2019
    I think the two all-new Chevys that excited me the most when I first saw one were the '73 Chevelle (I'll admit; I still like them for the most part, and my Dad was about ready for a new Chevelle then) and the '77 Caprice Classic and Impala. I was probably most shocked at first-seeing the '78 Malibu and Monte Carlo--they were downsized in a much-more-extreme way than the full-size cars the year before. I quickly grew to really like the Malibu Classic coupe as long as it had the 50/50 split front seat with center armrests, the scooped plastic honeycomb-style wheel covers, and F41 suspension.
    70+ Camaro for me, although I was impressed with the 77 downsized big cars. Older GM: the 58 Impala, the 59 Impala Vista flattop 4 dr HT's and probably the 65 Impala coupe.
    edited January 2019
    I ask this respectfully, but can you remember when you first saw those cars? Like, at a dealer or on the street? :)

I remember seeing the '73 Chevelle, '77 full-size Chevys, and '78 Malibu and Monte Carlo stuck way out-back of the lot, or hidden inside, when they first came in.

I have always thought there simply isn't a bad line on a '65 Impala Sport Coupe. Always thought they probably had to give away leftover '64's, but I know that really wouldn't be the case as there are always people who like the existing car better than the new one.

I am old enough to remember the '70 1/2 Camaro and Firebird. I really can't remember another time in that era where a new Chevy was introduced mid-year. I remember, vaguely, seeing that the trunk in those cars was something like 6.9 cubic feet, which even when I was young I thought was ridiculous, LOL!

I know this is a GM forum, but to me, the '65 Impala of the Mopar world is the '68 Plymouth Satellite two-door hardtop. It's a Mopar I think is graceful from every angle and I can't say that a whole lot.
    I'll take the 71/72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring coupe. I had a 76 Cutlass Supreme Colonnade, but for me I liked the previous 72 GM midsized coupe lines better. That greenhouse is stolen from a Boeing 707/727 cockpit ;) Actually, looking back at my Cutlass, I liked the formal Supreme roof line better when I bought it, but today I'd probably buy the more informal Cutlass S coupe.
    The Blazer should be a true off-roader aimed at the Wrangler and upcoming Bronco. Calling a humdrum CUV a Blazer is just nauseating.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I'm not that interested in it, but from what I've read, the new Honda Passport is sort of focused that way. But a lot of that comes from electronics .
    Look what they did to the Eclipse name - GM has nothing on besmirching old names B)
    edited January 2019
    Last Chevy I was really excited to see was the 2014 Impala. The Premier model (formerly LTZ) is still my favorite sedan, period. A chrome molding down the side! I think the Buick version doesn't look as nice.
    I agree that those rear side windows that triangle-up create blind spots and don't look good to me. But everybody seems to be doing them. I find the CRV particularly ugly these days, unlike the previous generation. But that's just me.
    edited March 2019
    Photos of the last Cruze at Lordstown being staged for production yesterday.

Fifty-three years of good-paying jobs in our area, provided by GM. A sad day.

I still very much like my '17 Cruze LT, and have pride of ownership in it.

No one else, not Ford, not Chrysler, not Toyota, not Honda, not VW, not anybody--provided those good jobs all these years in the area.

Easy for me to say because I'm not losing a job--although I've heard that most affected have accepted jobs at Flint assembly in Michigan--but like South Bend after Studebaker, I never quite understood the contempt for the company and the switching of loyalty to other makes BECAUSE of the shutdown. GM still builds cars and Studebaker still had a smaller presence in South Bend. What did any of the other automakers do in your area?
    In general, I don't think a lot of people truly understand the economic impact of the auto industry. It isn't just the plant, but the vendors and subcontractors, dealerships, transport, advertising, etc. But one of the changes taking place in the tech revolution I think is a dying of brand loyalty in general. Maybe a derivative of the Amazon effect.
    All true--but switching to another brand that did absolutely zero for the area? I don't know.
    These guys next to the last Lordstown Cobalt, with a pic of their Dads next to the first car built at Lordstown, a 1966 Impala, America's best-selling car at that time:

I think GM is making a mistake by killing off the Cruze and indeed a sad day for Lordstown and community. I thought I read that they were going to delay the end date because of continued demand, guess not.

They had worked a second shift to meet demand after the shutdown announcement. Go figure.
    edited March 2019
    Based on our '17, I was ready to buy a second one for my wife. She didn't want two of the same car and wanted to sit higher, so we bought the much-more-popular Equinox one month ago today.
    The Cruze was a nice car; I would have considered a hotted up version of the hatch.

Big difference between the first-gen and second. Super-roomy in the back seat; chrome inside and cloth on the instrument panel, both alleviating the sea of dark plastic normally seen in cars of this class. Very quiet also.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,997

The Cruze was a nice car; I would have considered a hotted up version of the hatch.

Who are you, and what have you done with the real @roadburner?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

Who are you, and what have you done with the real @roadburner?
    Since it isn’t RWD, I was thinking the same!

It will be interesting to see the new big GM crossovers (Traverse, etc.) that are supposed to be coming in the next year or two. I wonder if they will have big changes like the soon to be released 2020 Explorer?
    I'm thinking the Traverse was new just last year. I honestly have not liked the styling of any Traverse.
    The Cruze has less road noise than our Equinox. It's been awhile since we've had a vehicle that's open inside all the way to the back. I definitely hear more tire noise in the back seat than I do in our Cruze.

Really, particularly for the price, I love our '17 Cruze LT. It's a shame more people didn't give it a try.

The Cruze has less road noise than our Equinox. It's been awhile since we've had a vehicle that's open inside all the way to the back. I definitely hear more tire noise in the back seat than I do in our Cruze.

Really, particularly for the price, I love our '17 Cruze LT. It's a shame more people didn't give it a try.

I think it goes back to the long-term reputation.Earned over decades, even a quick turnaround won't be believed (in either direction) for a long, long, time. And given how major a purchase cars are, consumers are probably less forgiving of auto manufacturers than other less expensive goods.

While I know a lot of people had great GM experiences, there were obviously enough suboptimal experiences from the 70s-90s that tarnished GM's reputation and caused significant market share loss, especially in non-trucks and non-SUVs.
    I think that's right. People have a sharp memory when it comes to being burned on an expensive purchase, and I think for many, it's "fool me once, never again". Just thinking of my parents: My dad had an S10 Blazer that was about as refined and trouble free as one would expect from a 1985 model. It was his last GM, he never even test drove one again. My mom had a Taurus with a 3.8, which of course puked a head gasket well before 100K - never again, she's on Team Toyota now. Making a shoddy product and then not supporting it when it becomes troublesome can bring out the worst of the short term vision of the executive class, who will gladly lose a dollar to save a penny.

The only way to get around it is too have a vehicle that is so endearing to the owner for whatever reason, that they can live with problems. That's how the Euro makes survive, and maybe some domestic products too. My dad had a Town & Country back in the 90s, when they were seen as a desirable somewhat lux model. It puked a transmission after 6 months, but he forgave it as he loved the vehicle otherwise.
    tlong said:

I think it goes back to the long-term reputation.Earned over decades, even a quick turnaround won't be believed (in either direction) for a long, long, time. And given how major a purchase cars are, consumers are probably less forgiving of auto manufacturers than other less expensive goods.

While I know a lot of people had great GM experiences, there were obviously enough suboptimal experiences from the 70s-90s that tarnished GM's reputation and caused significant market share loss, especially in non-trucks and non-SUVs.

All the Stabilitrak issues on the web, including this site, keep me from considering a GM crossover. It has been going on for years, but doesn't seem to abate.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    My cruze LT stickshift diesel is nice too. Glad i got one while they were available. In other GM vehicle news, I have no interest in 2020 corvette without a stickshift. Absence of stick in 2020 vette makes me more interested a 2019 stickshift corvette even though the 'tub' seating position is not comfortable for me. The 2020 new camaro V8 LT1 stickshift seems to be the best value for the stuff i like in a car.
    I went with a friend to Sarchione Chevy in Randolph, Ohio yesterday. They had a C8 in for inspection. They sell more Silverados than any dealer in Ohio so that probably helped get them this special event (I'm only guessing). I was pretty smitten with the car, although as an old, fat guy I did have trouble getting out of it. Shocker!

Nice to see a crowd around a new car at a Chevy dealer. In the late sixties and early seventies, at our small-town dealership, at fall introduction time, there'd be that many people around a new Impala!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Is that you?

Not that old, and not that fat... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator