Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    @breld...absolutely love the polestar wagon and the rebel blue is a winner!  Fingers crossed this deal gets done on a hauler is both senses of the word!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    The Polestar is in their driveway by BLACK FRIDAY

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    edited November 2017
    Just noticed that VW dealer has 2018 jettas now. Seems to me no changes other than trim levels. I was expecting the redesign out soon. Wonder if they are doing one of their classic split year moves, where you end up with a 2018.5 model?

Edit: ok, latest piece I found on it makes it look like they pushed it into next year and will release as a 2019, with I guess a short 2018 MY run.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    @Stickguy Last I heard was announcing the redesign at the Detroit Auto Show with release early next spring. I'm keeping my eye on it because I'm considering the new GLI very seriously to replace the GTI.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

I'd maintain the suspense, but yes, it would be a replacement for the GLC. She's not "tired" of the GLC by any means, but she does love a wagon, and craves something with a bit more character. And we've admired the polestar V60s, particularly in the rebel blue, since they came out. But new, they were certainly not in the price range we'd consider. So...since this came up locally, we're at least considering it.

It's a longshot unless they come way down in their listed price to something more reasonable compared to the auction values, but the interest is strong enough to make a call tomorrow.

Remind me how long poor Mrs Breld has been forced to endure the GLC?

Hey! No shaming here! :p

Uh...I made that roadtrip to pick it up from Dallas Labor Day weekend.

But since you brought it up...what's a 2016 GLC300 4matic going for at auction? Ours is gray over black, well equipped with the pano roof, LED lights, Burmester stereo, COMAND system, etc., with 17k miles.

I'm guessing it's about the same as the Polestar, but the dealer is shooting for the moon on the Volvo. Classic case of lowballing the trade I'm sure because it's such a unique vehicle that will be hard to sell, and then marking it up $12k and demanding that price because it's a unique vehicle that's hard to find.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

That GLC sounds really nice; if I were in the market I might just be pinging you right now...
    It is really nice. And she recognizes how well it fits what she wanted out of the vehicle for this purpose. The Polestar is, as you can imagine, driven by emotion (not that it doesn't offer practicality) and the opportunity (perceived and real) of having it available locally.

We're intrigued enough to take the next step.

@tifighter or @murphydog - did either of you make it to the Seattle Auto Show this weekend? If so, how was it?
    tifighter said:

I’ve been stalking the V60 Polestar for a bit; I’ve never seen one listed at $40k. I’d want the 6 cyl personally, but the reviews of the newer 4 cyl have been positive.

Yeah - sounds like there's a lot of reasons to prefer the in-line 6, but the newer 8 speed auto may be more desirable than the previous 6 speed.

So since you've been stalking them, what's the price range you've been seeing, and has there been much of a change?

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042

That GLC sounds really nice; if I were in the market I might just be pinging you right now...

I was lucky enough to drive it a few weeks ago; it is nice.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    breld said:

qbrozen said:

breld said:

But since you brought it up...what's a 2016 GLC300 4matic going for at auction?
    :D:D

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited November 2017
    Between Breld and the high-dollar Floridian, I continue to learn that the way I look at cars is so far out of what's discussed here that I should never be surprised at what happens.

And yet I am.

Either way, party on!
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

@Stickguy Last I heard was announcing the redesign at the Detroit Auto Show with release early next spring. I'm keeping my eye on it because I'm considering the new GLI very seriously to replace the GTI.

I want to see the GLI too. Hey, I am pushing 3 weeks on the Elantra, and even broke 200 miles and threw in 1/2 a tank of gas! Time to start shopping.

right now, probably about 75/25 that the daughter buys it off of me in July, letting me have the phone of being back in the market. Will give her a break on it as a little graduation present.

If the new GLI is really nice (or if the base Jetta has a model that pushes the right buttons) might go that way since I will have a VW going back from lease, so incentives to re-up. If I don't use them, most likely the princess will.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    breld said:

tifighter said:

I’ve been stalking the V60 Polestar for a bit; I’ve never seen one listed at $40k. I’d want the 6 cyl personally, but the reviews of the newer 4 cyl have been positive.

Yeah - sounds like there's a lot of reasons to prefer the in-line 6, but the newer 8 speed auto may be more desirable than the previous 6 speed.

So since you've been stalking them, what's the price range you've been seeing, and has there been much of a change?
    For a 16 with 25k miles or less, $47-49K asking seems to be the mark. For a little while, there was one in Atlanta, white with miles in the high teens for $42K. Carfax was clean but who knows what the real story was.

I just think the inline T6 is a very smooth motor. Torque everywhere, and it feels nicely under-stressed. It is what pushed me over the edge to buy the XC70, they announced it was going away so I got one while they were still on lots. The V60 is smaller, and a little less nose-weight might be a very good thing. Guess that means you should go drive it. You're welcome ;)

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    breld said:

But since you brought it up...what's a 2016 GLC300 4matic going for at auction? Ours is gray over black, well equipped with the pano roof, LED lights, Burmester stereo, COMAND system, etc., with 17k miles.

I'm guessing it's about the same as the Polestar, but the dealer is shooting for the moon on the Volvo. Classic case of lowballing the trade I'm sure because it's such a unique vehicle that will be hard to sell, and then marking it up $12k and demanding that price because it's a unique vehicle that's hard to find.

I'm not shaming. If anything, I feel sorry for her. Subjected to your rotating garage policy, I'm sure she has been suffering in silence with her old car. ;b

you are looking at $34k-$35k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

Between Breld and the high-dollar Floridian, I continue to learn that the way I look at cars is so far out of what's discussed here that I should never be surprised at what happens.

And yet I am.

Either way, party on!

+1!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Q - thanks for the info. So, auction values for both cars are roughly the same, which would generally lead me to shoot for a swap plus a few grand, but based on what seems like retail on the Polestar, doesn't seem likely to happen.

We'll probably go look at it tomorrow afternoon, make an offer that's reasonable but will be refused, and then wait. The likelihood of a $48k high-performance sports wagon sitting on the lot through the upcoming holiday season could be high.

What was MSRP on the GLC, @breld?
  • tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @breld nice nice on the looking at wagiens yesterday! you never no when it comes to that Volvo!
    @breld nice nice on the looking at wagiens yesterday! you never no when it comes to that Volvo!
    @stickguy thaught did hear new jen VW Jetta will be cumming out secand half of 2018! old body stile for first half of 2018 we shal see!
    @corvette love that fro the opera song of this group lollollol
    @Michaell how was the cars and coffy did you all see any cool or interesting cars?
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    @breld I cannot even believe I am asking this but please let me know if you get serious about the Volvo
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    pensfan83 said:

@breld I cannot even believe I am asking this but please let me know if you get serious about the Volvo

One doesn’t have to read between the lines to know that he is, LOL.

edited November 2017
    What was MSRP on the GLC, @breld?
    $51k-ish.  It had 14k miles when we bought it.  

pensfan83 said:
    We’ll know tomorrow after my wife gets to see and drive it.  

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    I really have to quit shopping. Got the Tacoma, when I could have just bought your GTI, and bought my wife the X3, when she could have bought your GLC. My timing is just off by six weeks.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    carnaught said:

One doesn’t have to read between the lines to know that he is, LOL.

Oh I know he is I mean if the Volvo dealer wants to play ball. We really wanted to pay off my wife's car in June and hang onto it a little bit while banking the money for a downpayment on a CPO SUV like the GLC or Q5 but I like that car the first time that I saw it and my wife herself was smitten with the Mercedes SUVs that were at the Mercedes dealer next door to my Acura dealer.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP

@Michaell how was the cars and coffy did you all see any cool or interesting cars?

Glad you asked! Here are the pix I took at the show:

Extra credit for naming the black car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

@breld nice nice so we all shall see tomero! hope she does like it a lot! sum thing tells me she will! and hoping the dealer wants to deal! smell an punch cumming!
    @Michaell nice nice not shore what the black car is off hand! any one elce!
  • rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

I'm not shaming. If anything, I feel sorry for her. Subjected to your rotating garage policy, I'm sure she has been suffering in silence with her old car. ;b

you are looking at $34k-$35k.
    Dang, that sounds pretty darn close to what I would want in a GLC, and... it could be in my price range. I knew I couldn't count on @breld holding out long enough for me though, since he's potentially turning in the GLC after only two months!

Anyway, a recent turn of events may put my car search on hold. Life sure gets in the way of things, doesn't it?

@Breld, I'll go out on a limb and give you an early congrats. We like our 2012 S60 T6. The tech is a little dated, and ours is missing a backup camera and sensors, but oh well! Also, we had to replace the A/C compressor, but you wouldn't dare keep it long enough to have to worry about out of warranty repairs. :D
    2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
    My son seems to have a desire to go all Breld on me. He is taking a few days extra at Thanksgiving and coming down to visit us. Mentioned hanging out on Saturday, and his desire is to go check out an S3 he has his eye on. Considering his A3 is not yet one year old, probably not the smartest idea. Might have to convince him to start leasing instead, since I don't think he will ever keep a car more than 3 years anyway, that at least could keep him from too many moves!

pretty sure that moving from a low miles 1 YO loaded A3 to an S3 is going to require at least $20k. For a performance increase he probably can never actually use! Better off buying a new exhaust and a factory supported chip to get close for 1/10th the price.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    edited November 2017
    @Michaell

That's definitely a Holden Ute! How the heck did one of those make it into the US, though?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Michaell said:
    Glad you asked! Here are the pix I took at the show: Extra credit for naming the black car.
    Isn't that the Australian El Camino thing? Ummm...Holden something or other. Was about to ask what country you were in for this gathering.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

xwesx said:

@Michaell

That's definitely a Holden Ute! How the heck did one of those make it into the US, though?

Yes, that is a Holden Maloo. I've no idea how it ended up here.

It's LHD! We were trying to figure if it was an export to an LHD country, then brought to the US. It's not 25 years old, for sure.

And, under the hood was a supercharged LS3. I'm sure that thing would absolutely melt the rear tires.

Here's a taste of what they do with these down under

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Update - so we just left the Subaru dealer that has the Polestar.  Initially, they were at a $12k difference between the GLC and the Volvo, we said our top was $7k.  They finally came back with $7,900, claiming it is everything they could do.

We left to have lunch.

So...the numbers they have down are definitely inflated on the trade.  They have the GLC at a trade of $38k.

But using real numbers, let’s say an honest fair trade is $35k on the GLC; we’re saying we’d pay $42k for the polestar (hence the $7k difference offer), and they’re at $42.9k.

So, about $43k for a 2016 Polestar wagon with 16k miles?  And they just put on new tires.  

Hmmm...

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    That GLC is so gone...

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Seems excessive to me. Think of it this way: when you go to trade the volvo in 9 mos, you are looking at maybe $32-33k. So do you want to burn $10k in 9 mos?

I have to agree with @qbrozen. Seems like this just isn't worth it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    9 months? That car will be long gone by then.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:
    9 months? That car will be long gone by then.
    I was shooting for "best case scenario" ;b

Hmm...well shoot.

We’re doing the paperwork now.  

breld said:

Hmm...well shoot.

Lol.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    How much did @breld give for the MB in September?
    Sorry for the few of you who wanted the GLC - trade value was too strong to pass up, particularly given the tax savings!  

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160
    breld said:

Hmm...well shoot.

LOL. Less than 48 hours to go from "Should we?" to "It's in our driveway."
    I love every second of it.
    2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron