Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    breld said:

Hmm...well shoot.

We’re doing the paperwork now.  

Comedy gold, and delivered with a straight face. Nice!

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    I love the colors on that Volvo. And the V60 is a nice size package. I could live with one. A bit pricey for a 2015 though. I actually would want a newer year FWD with the 2.0T engine. Much better MPG, and faster.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Breld is just the gold standard here. Plus, gives me cover to be out looking again already. May not happen, but planning now to work out a deal to shuffle the Elantra off to the daughter, and put myself back in the market somehow. Moving parts, but should be simple enough.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    2016, for what it’s worth.  It’s not even the power - my wife, not unlike myself, craves the more unique models.  And this certainly is that.  

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    breld said:

Hmm...well shoot.

WOW! You must be the CCBA king for all times!

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    This has to be some kind of a record.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    I just got off the phone with the Subaru dealer.

I mentioned recently about an email campaign to get us out of the 2015 Outback and into a newer one.

The phone call simply ratcheted up the pressure.

Turns out the 2018 Outback has CarPlay (plus!) and a slightly larger infotainment screen (8" vs. 7" currently). Redesigned front and rear end treatment.

Would have all the same features - Eyesight, etc.

But, restarting the payment clock - even with the same or slightly lower payment (they say) - is likely a non-starter with the spouse. And, I'm kinda looking forward to having this one paid off - low miles and a strong trade in value both work in our favor.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I can't say I'm surprised with the latest purchase in the @breld household. She liked the GLC well enough - competent, luxurious, fairly quick - but, a bit anonymous.

As noted, she likes to be a bit different in her choice of vehicle - Pacer wagon, PT Cruiser - and the GLC just didn't fit the bill. She prefers stuff like a 3-series wagon, etc. The Polestar fits perfectly.

Once they get an idea in their head, there's no stopping them. The only saving grace this time around was that the car they wanted was local, not half a continent away.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

every month, I am enjoying not making a payment on the RDX. That was a nice savings. Hyundai was mostly a was, with payments going up $20/month. Still net, cashflow improved monthly by $400 in the car budget.

for those pull aheads, depends on the years left. If I was 2 years into a 5 year term, and knew that I would never keep it long past the 5th year payoff, I would be happy to trade early and take a new car with the same payment, even if it means the clock starts over. Basically get to drive the new car now, not 3 years from now! But I also wouldn't do a lateral move for basically the same car.

stickguy said:

for those pull aheads, depends on the years left. If I was 2 years into a 5 year term, and knew that I would never keep it long past the 5th year payoff, I would be happy to trade early and take a new car with the same payment, even if it means the clock starts over. Basically get to drive the new car now, not 3 years from now! But I also wouldn't do a lateral move for basically the same car.

Right - when we got the Outback, we decided it was going to be a 7-10 year keeper. Nothing has happened in the 32 months of ownership that have changed either of our minds. Especially with the low miles - we're averaging less than 9K a year, so far. Even after 10 years, it's likely to have around 100K on it. Still would be worth a ton of money here in Colorado.

And, it would be a completely lateral move - same color, trim level, etc. The only differences would be those that I mentioned - CarPlay, bigger screen, redesigned front and rear trim. Nothing special.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    edited November 2017
    That Polestar seems like a very nice wagon. I don't think I could like it enough for that price unless it was a manual, though.

Breld.... make sure to have them wash that moonroof before you drive off! :p
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    xwesx said:
    That Polestar seems like a very nice wagon. I don't think I could like it enough for that price unless it was a manual, though. Breld.... make sure to have them wash that moonroof before you drive off! :p
    Would you believe that with a day’s notice that we were coming to look at it they didn’t wash it and that bird poop was still there, and elsewhere on the car?  

breld said:

xwesx said:

That Polestar seems like a very nice wagon. I don't think I could like it enough for that price unless it was a manual, though.

Would you believe that with a day’s notice that we were coming to look at it they didn’t wash it and that bird poop was still there, and elsewhere on the car?  

Time to update your signature line .... I'm surprised you haven't built some sort of macro to do it with a finger swipe or some keyboard shortcut.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @stickguy nice nice so you all will go do sum car looking next weekend with your son nice nice just looking is a lot of fun to!
    @breld congrads on the new ride! had an fealing this would happen! now bye the end of the year or early in 2018 the darango or type R will be going! shore of that!
    @Michaell nice nice so that was what the black car ended up being nice nice! did learn sum thing new! nice nice!
    breld said:

xwesx said:

Time to update your signature line .... I'm surprised you haven't built some sort of macro to do it with a finger swipe or some keyboard shortcut.
    breld said:

And, we're back to having at lease one vehicle in the @breld fleet with temporary tags!

Nice car - I've already suggested that both this and the Type R be shown at next month's Cars & Coffee

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    breld said:

Well you know I'm in...

Congrats!

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Which would you rather drive ....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@breld like the shape and color of your wifes new ride! good luck with it. hope they did wash it before you took it home!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    edited November 2017
    Just a note regarding snow, sensors, and a Q7.....

Apparently, VAG, despite having all their test vehicles here in Fairbanks, does not do adequate snow testing with these cars. Our heavy snowfall yesterday (and Sunday) has taken its toll on the car. This morning, the wheel sensor system started wigging out. My guess (hope?) is that it is due to snow/ice buildup in the wheel wells, but maybe it is just mad at me for fighting the stability system all the time.

The good news is that I finally beat that system, and now I have full control over the vehicle's wheel spin, vectoring, and yaw. So, yeehaw! It is much more fun to drive.

The bad news is that the dash is lit up like a Christmas tree, and it likes to beep at me to remind me that the TMPS, stability control, and ABS systems are disabled. Whoops. :D

It turned on and off a few times over the last two days, so I shall see. If it persists, perhaps I can have it addressed when I take it in for the emissions rebuild in a few weeks.

Of course, I could avoid all the fuss with this if I just breld it. B)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    Michaell said:
    Right - when we got the Outback, we decided it was going to be a 7-10 year keeper. Nothing has happened in the 32 months of ownership that have changed either of our minds. Especially with the low miles - we're averaging less than 9K a year, so far. Even after 10 years, it's likely to have around 100K on it. Still would be worth a ton of money here in Colorado. And, it would be a completely lateral move - same color, trim level, etc. The only differences would be those that I mentioned - CarPlay, bigger screen, redesigned front and rear trim. Nothing special.
    My late great uncle had a 1994 Cadillac Fleeteood, navy inside and out. Traded it for an identical 1996 when he found out it was being discontinued. That was the last car he ever bought for himself. He quit driving after having a stroke. 
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    Michaell said:
    Actually a very fair to good price (don't see a VIN), and I think the T5 would probe fairly spunky, I think clocking in the low 6s 0-60

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,895
    @breld
    Congrats!! Great car, you are truly a machine.   

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    @breld - I'm in awe as always!  Way to go!  Major congrats!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,895
    edited November 2017
    corvette said:
    Michaell said:
    Right - when we got the Outback, we decided it was going to be a 7-10 year keeper. Nothing has happened in the 32 months of ownership that have changed either of our minds. Especially with the low miles - we're averaging less than 9K a year, so far. Even after 10 years, it's likely to have around 100K on it. Still would be worth a ton of money here in Colorado. And, it would be a completely lateral move - same color, trim level, etc. The only differences would be those that I mentioned - CarPlay, bigger screen, redesigned front and rear trim. Nothing special.
    My late great uncle had a 1994 Cadillac Fleeteood, navy inside and out. Traded it for an identical 1996 when he found out it was being discontinued. That was the last car he ever bought for himself. He quit driving after having a stroke. 
    Did 94 have the 350 or still the 305?  I know at some point they only had the 350 toward the end but can’t remember if it happened before 94 or not. 

One of uncles traded his 90 Town Car for that generation Fleetwood, but I remember him quickly changing back to a Town Car right before the (much unloved) 98 redesign. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,071
    breld said:

Hmm...well shoot.

Called it. B)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

whoever had black Friday way overshot the mark. Heck, at this pace, they might squeeze another one in before the 24th!

Michael, I actually like the GLC a lot. I showed the pictures to my wife, and she easily picked that one. Though probably had more to do with the color. She does not do that kind of bright blue.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,265
    Michaell said:

I mentioned recently about an email campaign to get us out of the 2015 Outback and into a newer one.

Turns out the 2018 Outback has CarPlay (plus!) and a slightly larger infotainment screen (8" vs. 7" currently). Redesigned front and rear end treatment.

But, restarting the payment clock - even with the same or slightly lower payment (they say) - is likely a non-starter with the spouse. And, I'm kinda looking forward to having this one paid off - low miles and a strong trade in value both work in our favor.

But you also restart the warranty clock...
    mjfloyd1 said:
    I just got off the phone with the Subaru dealer. I mentioned recently about an email campaign to get us out of the 2015 Outback and into a newer one. The phone call simply ratcheted up the pressure. Turns out the 2018 Outback has CarPlay (plus!) and a slightly larger infotainment screen (8" vs. 7" currently). Redesigned front and rear end treatment. Would have all the same features - Eyesight, etc. But, restarting the payment clock - even with the same or slightly lower payment (they say) - is likely a non-starter with the spouse. And, I'm kinda looking forward to having this one paid off - low miles and a strong trade in value both work in our favor.
    We have a 7/100k warranty on the current Outback. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I like the GLC better too, but in a different color.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited November 2017
    you should stay the course on the outback. Remember, once it is paid off, you can get something nicer for yourself. One of the good things about my wife being happy with the RDX. Especially if I go back into the market in the summer at some point. Could be fun!

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,265
    edited November 2017
    Michaell said:

mjfloyd1 said:

Michaell said:

Channel your inner breld...
    stickguy said:
    you should stay the course on the outback. Remember, once it is paid off, you can get something nicer for yourself. One of the good things about my wife being happy with the RDX. Especially if I go back into the market in the summer at some point. Could be fun!
    Yes, options are nice to have.  

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

mjfloyd1 said:
    mjfloyd1 said:
    I just got off the phone with the Subaru dealer. I mentioned recently about an email campaign to get us out of the 2015 Outback and into a newer one. The phone call simply ratcheted up the pressure. Turns out the 2018 Outback has CarPlay (plus!) and a slightly larger infotainment screen (8" vs. 7" currently). Redesigned front and rear end treatment. Would have all the same features - Eyesight, etc. But, restarting the payment clock - even with the same or slightly lower payment (they say) - is likely a non-starter with the spouse. And, I'm kinda looking forward to having this one paid off - low miles and a strong trade in value both work in our favor.
    Channel your inner breld...
    Just can’t get there; I live vicariously through them. Nice thing is, almost every time we meet up, they are driving something different. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Thanks, as always, for all the kind words. Believe me, it's not lost on me how nuts this quick switch was. My wife said I should share with everyone that she was at home this past week recovering from a minor surgery, and binge watched some Swedish shows with subtitles on the Acorn channel. So between that and the pain meds, that's her excuse! :)

I did get a lot of seat time in the wagon this evening, and it is pretty awesome. At first blush, it seems on par performance-wise with my previous S4 and 335. Transmission, despite "only" being 6 speeds, shifts smoothly and in a sporty manner.

And despite being an aging design, it has all the tech features we'd want, and then some - BLIS, parking aids, adaptive cruise, etc.

As @michaell pointed out, this fits my wife's style much better. First, it's a wagon, which is a good start. Then add the exclusive color and unique performance (for a wagon), combined with the "smart" Volvo brand, and I hope we have a winner.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    I give it until New Years. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    I have to think that someone at one of these "cars & coffee" meetups is going to offer him stupid money for his Type R. I know you like it A LOT @breld, but "everything is for sale for the right price" as they say.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

I have to think that someone at one of these "cars & coffee" meetups is going to offer him stupid money for his Type R. I know you like it A LOT @breld, but "everything is for sale for the right price" as they say.

Last weekend we parked across the street as all three of us drove our own cars. I've yet to see another Type R in the wild here in Denver

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,371
    edited November 2017
    Way to go @breld

I love the choice and definitely understand the desire to be a little unique. That’s one of the reasons I was always attracted to Saab’s. Not going to see yourself at every stoplight, at least in my part of the country try same with Volvo’s and especially a Polestar!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    breld said:

@breld.....you’re my hero!

Very cool wagon. I really like that color, too!

CONGRATS!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Cool Volvo wagon, breld. That may be the best looking Volvo I've ever seen! Great color, I agree.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    I like the Polestars a lot. Nice find.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    I would drive that..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    Love the wheels.

They were surprisingly quick in taking the listing down.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    tjc78 said:
    corvette said:
    Michaell said:
    Did 94 have the 350 or still the 305?  I know at some point they only had the 350 toward the end but can’t remember if it happened before 94 or not. 

One of uncles traded his 90 Town Car for that generation Fleetwood, but I remember him quickly changing back to a Town Car right before the (much unloved) 98 redesign. 
    I have no idea on that. 
    nyccarguy said:

Oh definitely - there were two local craigslist ads for recently purchased Type Rs for around $40k. I wouldn't snub my nose at that. There's always something else bright and shiny.

breld said:

nyccarguy said:

Oh definitely - there were two local craigslist ads for recently purchased Type Rs for around $40k. I wouldn't snub my nose at that. There's always something else bright and shiny.
    It would be nice to put a negative (or is that positive) number into the 'depreciation' column of your spreadsheet!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator