Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    There are also Camry discussion in the Sedans board. This board is mostly for people with questions or problems, and is generally more anecdotal material because of that. The Sedans board covers a wider range of Camry subjects.

Host
  • sunshine60105sunshine60105 Member Posts: 129
    Thank you for telling me that! May I ask you a question? I come to visit this message board daily and I read a post that said about a alleged engine fire in one Camry and a trasmission fire in another Camry. All together there was only two Camrys that were supposedly effected.. Is there any truth to what I read? It startled me because I am all set to get a 2002 Camry and once I buy the ;then, it's mine and I really want a 2002 Camry but this has me worried now.... Any imput would be appreciated.... Thank you.... I'll be back to visit later and read new posts.... Thanks again for your message and I'll go to visit the sedan board!!!
    Sunshine60105
  • slin1slin1 Member Posts: 5
    Hey Chris. I'm having the same problem too. Everytime I hit a bump I'd hear a minor ticking or rubbing noise coming from the front driver's window when I first got my SE (<500 miles), but now (3000 miles) I hear it coming from all the windows (including the sunroonf!). I hear it even when I make a slow turn!!! Very strange...sounds like the rubber insulation stripping rubbing or sticking against something? I've been reluctant to let the dealer touch my car...I took it in to have a bulb replaced and they left grease stains all over the interior!
  • fish4daysfish4days Member Posts: 2
    Well, we were enjoying our new 02 Camry SE 5M for about 4000 miles. Now we have a check engine light that has come on and stayed on four times. It has been in the shop three times for a total of about two weeks of down time. The dealer is have trouble with the problem and has "changed the oil", replace the computer (ECU) and replaced the solenoid after a lot of help from the factory. Monday it goes back in for the forth time for who knows how long. The dealer agrees that this should not occur and should have been fixed the first time. My wife does not want to drive the car for fear that we will make the problem worst or damage the engine. So much for one of the best cars on the road. Is anyone else having this problem?
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Doesn't the lemon law apply here...I'd let the dealer know they better start looking for another car for you!
    My 02 Camry w/ABS has about 4K miles and just today I noticed very deep scratches in circles around the two rear disc brakes. You can definitely feel the scratches when you run your finger across the disc. Is this normal? I don't drive this car hard at all, and my 99 Isuzu w/ 50K miles has very smooth discs.
    My 02 Camry w/ABS has about 4K miles and just today I noticed very deep scratches in circles around the two rear disc brakes. You can definitely feel the scratches when you run your finger across the disc. Is this normal? I don't drive this car hard at all, and my 99 Isuzu w/ 50K miles has very smooth discs.
  • stalwarstalwar Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I am leasing a Camry VE 6 cyl (2000) and am thinking of buying it at the end of the lease. The car is really smooth and has not given me any problems except for one problem The car shudders when it is driven between 35-40 mph. The steering wheel vibrates noticeably. But the Toyota dealer has refused to acknowledge it. I went through a set of tires within 18K miles but they still have not fond anything wrong with the tires. One of my other friends who has the same car also has noticed the same problem. Has any one else felt these vibrations?
  • apollo11apollo11 Member Posts: 1
    I have had problems with my 1st Camry and wanted to get opinions from other Camry owners. I have 69K on car and was just told the front struts (& mounts ?) have to be replaced ($775.00) and that the rear struts may last 1 more year. I am an older and careful driver, my driving is only on major highways, no bumps / dust / etc.

Is this normal for Camry's or do I have a problem car. Other problems include transmission went at 49K (replaced by Toyota)... CD broke at 41K (only covered up to 35K)... brakes replaced at 51K.
    Appreciate any opinions. Thanks
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    92 Camry SE 143,000 miles
  • caopencaopen Member Posts: 1
    I own a 95 camry. A problem occurs about 4 years ago.
    Every morning, for a short period(about 10 second), blue smoke comes out of the exhaust pipe when starts. After that, no smoke, car drives fine. Normal gas milage, no problem to pass emission tests, tuneup does not help. Have several mechanics looked at it over three years. All of them just told me the car is fine.
    Does any one have any clue what is going? TIA.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ......is a sign of worn valve stem seals.
  • c0kec0ke Member Posts: 44
    Actually I called them ridges on my '02 LE that started forming at 400 miles. By 1400 miles it was obvious that something was going on.

The dealer replaced new rotors and pads at 1700 miles ... saying he had never seen this before on a new Camry. Hmmm.

At 2300 miles one side was noticed again beginning to form ridges and the other fairly smooth except for one small ridge that is forming. Sorry that I can't answer this for you but it is happening on some of the 02's. I don't think a lot of folks have noticed this yet.

For the record mine is a V6 LE purchased around the third week of November last fall. Yes, this model did come with 4-wheel ABS standard. Only the rear wheels were showing this unusual wear.

So far I don't know of any recall or TSB on this issue.
  • wainwain Member Posts: 479
    Mine are fine at 95000 miles and 8 years.
    Someone is jerking you around.
  • eddieueddieu Member Posts: 3
    Please help... My 93 camry has been running flawlish for nine years with 103000 miles, suddenly it started to hesitate at idle or slow rpm's. had plugs, gas filter changed, had engine cleaned internally fuel system and valves cleaned $120 just for that. Computer checked ok, vacuum lines and all sensors checked all ok. The repareman is stumped. Any help please send response to citizenx@townisp.com Thanks
  • loyolaloyola Member Posts: 26
    except it happens only when the a/c is running on my 92 Camry when it was 3 years old. Took it the dealer, nothing wrong. It finally disappeared when I had it tuned-up and never found out the cause. Looking back, probably bad timing.
    Hi,
    First off, what year of Camry do you have?
    Me, I have a 1994 Camry and I haven't had a bit of
    trouble with it... You shouldn't be having transmission problems or engine problems, I dont have any problems with my transmission... You probably got a lemon.
    I haven't had anything replaced on my car.... Everything on my Camry is from when I bought it in 1994 and I haven't had anything replaced.... My Cd is fine... The only thing that I had done was the brakes because there was only so much left of the brakes left ,but that's normal I believe...
    I haven't replaced anything on my car except for brake pads....
    Once in a while there is a Camry that is a lemon... I test drove a Camry before I got this one and something was wrong with the transmission and engine ;then, I test drove another one and it was fine and the other one that I test drove I bought...I've had my 94 Camry for 8 years and I haven't had any problems with it.. Camrys are great cars,my sister's Mother in law has a 2000 Camry and she loves and she hasn't had any problems with it either... However, there can be some troublesome years or a lemon and or both....
    I dont know about the other Camry years, but I know my 94 Camry hasn't given me a bit of problems or trouble and so far my sister's mother inlaw hasn't had a bit of trouble with her 2000...

Tell you what you can do, take it to another Camry dealer and have them check it out or take it to a mechanic at a gas station or a Toyota dealership and have a mechanic that you believe is honest... Get a second opinion before you spend any money on anything for the camry because 775.00 is a lot of money to spend on struts or mounts, not sure which one you said that will cost you 775.00,anyhow, that's a lot of money to spend I think, I dont know, but go to another dealership and see if you get a lower price .... I went to one dealership when I took my Camry for a check up and they wanted to replace everything and wanted to charge me $800 to $1000.00 ;then,I took it to another dealership and another mechanic looked at it and he said that the only thing that needs to be done is the oil changed and I am very good to my car and I change my oil when it's time and everything.....
    Apollo, go to another dealership or a gas station that you believe is honest for a mechanic to check the car again and see if the mechanic thinks the same thing about your mounts and struts and see perhaps they'll give you a lower price.. If the second mechanic thinks the same way ;then, you probably do need the struts and mounts replaced.... It sounds like your car is a lemon because of alll the problems you are having...Wishing you luck... Hope I helped you a little...
    sunshine60105.. :-)
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    Try STP smoke treatment it works I had the same problem on a 96 at about 65000. This spring with the STP the problem disappeared.
  • jrg4jrg4 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for ways to reduce the noise from wind in my car. I own a 94 Camry 2.2 station wagon. Does anyone have any experiences with this problem? What can I do?

jon
  • sam_beaversam_beaver Member Posts: 61
    Anyone else have trouble closing the trunk of a new 2002 Camry? It seems as if it needs to be hit exactly in the middle (not even 2 inches off) and to be raised to quite a height before it will close.

I didn't have this problem on any of the showroom cars I tested or test-drove, but the problem was present on at least a couple of the new Camry's in the lot, as well as on mine when I got it.

Is this something that will get better with time? The service department said something about the new pressurized seals that didn't make any sense to me, but basically they said they couldn't do anything about it and it wasn't a defect.
  • 2001ody2001ody Member Posts: 17
    You are not alone. My trunk seems to have the closing problem when I open it via the trunk latch next to the drivers seat. I have found that if I dont pull the level far enough or hard enough, the trunk wont close easily. It seems like the latch is not always moved enough with the remote opener. Every time I open the trunk with the key it shuts fine.

The only annoying thing about this car is a intermittent shudder of the whole car when stopping. The shudder occurs in the last 1 or 2 feet of travel. I think it is the engine idling down to low. The dealer has no idea, and in fact says they all do that.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Take it to another dealership. Get the BBB involved since they apparently cannot solve the problem the first time.

THe ECU doesn't require replacing. For 2002, the ECU is re-programmable, so the action is uploading the new code to the ECU.

The obvious ECU trigger is the gas cap, make sure it clicks 4 rimes when you tighten.

What codes are the OBDII computer spitting out?

I'd try to find another dealership, or shop take a look at it.

If you take it to the same dealership, make sure the certified Toyota master technician works on it, and also be sure the technician is ASE certified, in engine repair.
  • fish4daysfish4days Member Posts: 2
    The Dealer has the factory tech up from SF Bay area twice to address the problem. I don't know the ECU code. They reset the ECU codes a number of times. We check the gas cap everytime we fuel up and when the light comes on. We have looked into the lemon law requirements and will be discussing this with the dealer. They think it is the cam timing adjuster this time. I don't think they really know. The part, like the ECU, was backordered for a number of days. We hope to get the car back after the weekend. Thanks for the comments 8u6hfd.
  • hallagehallage Member Posts: 24
    My check engine light has been on for several months now on my '96 Camry 4-cyl. I don't notice anything different in how it drives, and I just got an emission inspection, which passed with flying colors. Can I ignore it? What could be wrong?
  • parmillerparmiller Member Posts: 1
    In June 2001 at 17000 miles my engine light came on. The dealer said that we were over filling the fuel tank and needed a new Charcoal canister which cost $400. Last week April 17, 2002 at 21000 miles the light came on again. This time they say is is a sensor. We use Mobile 87 octane gas. Dealer said we should use Sunoco gas to eliminate future problems. The cost of the sensor is $261 plus labor for another $400. We have $800 is repairs for fuel related problems that seem ridiculous. I feel I am being ripped off by my dealer. Burdick Toyota in N. Syracue, N.Y. Has anyone else every had or heard of these problems? Thanks for your help. Dealer says that warrenty is up after 3 years.
  • kyserkyser Member Posts: 1
    Our car has on-going unexplained electrical problems. While the auto is in motion, all dash instruments-AC compressor and fan, door locks. windows, turn signals and wipers cease to operate. However, the engine, head lights, radio, tail lights, brake lights continue to function.
    When we turn off the engine and restart everything works again and the engine light comes on.
    There is no pattern of incidences. At times the car even corrects itself while being driven. And sometimes the the engine light goes off by itself. Houston's largest Toyota dealer doesn't have a clue. Local mechanic suggested that we replace speed sensor, we did to no avail.
    Help!!!!
    Sunco always causes the engine not to run at it's best and isn't the best gas for the car... The best gas to get is at Amaco or Shell... Just thought I'd tell you that..... Shell and Amaco is the highest grade of gas, Sunco and the others can possibly cause a car to not run at it's best... Go to either Shell or and or both Amaco and you'll see a difference...Sometimes I go to Amaco and sometimes I go to shell, it just depends which is the cloest gas station at the time..

It sounds as if the dealership's mechanic or mechanics are giving you the run around... Take it to another dealership and have a mechanic check it out and see what they have to say... You shouldn't be getting a different story each time you take in your Camry in.... Goodluck!
    Sunshine60105 :)
    You know what...that's about exactly the same time I bought my camry! Right around thanksgiving! That's really disturbing that you even had them replaced and you still see the same problem. It doesn't make sense that both the rotors and the pads have the same indents/scratches. BTW, my Camry rattles everywhere (driver door most notably) and the dome light recently blew out one day. How much do I have to spend to get quality these days? 30K? 40K? That's ridiculous.
    Try the rubber door seals.

Clean them and apply some silicone on them (silicone grease spray works fine).
  • logitech1logitech1 Member Posts: 32
    Hi, I think my 90 camry is really a gas tiger!

mostly local + some hwy: 8 kms per liter (or 18.76 MPG, I think)

mostly hwy + some local: under 8.3 kms per liter (or 19.46 MPG, I think)

so how to save some money on gas except don't drive it? I am wondering if a engine tune up will make any difference? Thanks in advance!
  • anonymanonym Member Posts: 11
    I have a 93 camry and just found out I have a seal leak in my a/c compressor. Mechanic recommends replacing compressor, clutch and receiver drier for $800. I know someone who can put a junk yard compressor in for 175 + 120 for freon. Is it too much of a risk to buy a junk yard compressor? Does the camry have a history of problems with seal leaks on the compressor? Im just afraid that I would end up with another compressor with seal problems. What should I do, I only plan on keeping the car for 2 years at the most.
  • c0kec0ke Member Posts: 44
    are the only concern here for now. Guess we'll have to see where this goes at the next oil change.

At least it's on record in their computer. You might want to take this up with your dealer as well. Of course getting told that "... we've never seen this before in a 2002 ..." makes you wonder.

Hopefully enough people will take this to their dealer and report it so that eventually there will be some action on it.

If the problem doesn't get resolved by the dealer then I most likely will repair it myself.

If you speak with the dealer about it please post back and let us know what sort of answer you get from them.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    anonym--if your compressor didn't "eat it", that is, self-destruct internally, I myself would take the risk on a used compressor + freon (I actually just did this on my Benz) but I made sure the mechanic carefully inspected the a/c lines for any debris and also install new hose o-rings.

Any reputable wrecking yard with warranty the a/c compressor.
  • unclebrendaunclebrenda Member Posts: 2
    I have some questions. When they do a valve seal job, does that disturb the egr valve. I had the Camry sludge/valve seal problem fixed and 300 miles later they say it needs a egr valve because of a check engine light. Is this just a coincidence ? When I searched the board there was nothing about Camry egr valves. The car has 71000 miles and is a 1997 and is in Maryland so I don't think the emmissions warrenty will pay. The dealer says the Toyota Extra Care won't pay either but there is nothing about the EGR valve in the policy. Extra Care is extended warranty.
    Thanks
  • unclebrendaunclebrenda Member Posts: 2
    My car was "fixed". I had it for one hour and the check engine light came on again. Is this a wrong diagnosis or did they just not do anything.It cost 400 and I only work part time because of a medical condition. What do I do if they ask for more money ? I paid them to fix the correct part and then "fixed " something that may not have even been broken.I even have an extended warranty.
    unclebrenda Take it back right away, because they didn't fix it. You shouldn't pay an extra dime because they did not fix the problem right the first time. Insist on the dealership's Master Technician to work on it.

logitech1 A tune-up will make a huge difference. Don't forget to change the distributor cap & rotor, and spark plug wires. While you're at it, rotate the tires, check for correct tire pressures, check or replace the air filter, etc....
    I found 3, where are the rest 3 located? can this be done by myself?
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    I lost the letter "Y" off CAMRY on trunk lid of my 96 Camry at carwash. The carwash place is more than happy to pay for the piece but not it costs $500 by the time it is done!

I tried Toyotaparts.com. I can't get the letter alone or the entire word. I have to buy the entire trunk lid lower "UNPAINTED" plastic piece with letters attached, at$230 and have it painted and gold plate the letters!!!!

Does anyone know a place that carries this type of stuff. It is next to impossible to find this item in local junk yards.

It is outrageous that Toyota does not carry the letters or the entire word kit. If I have no luck, I may take out the rest of the letters, wax plastic piece, and forget about the gold plated word.
    The rear plugs is underneath the intake plenum (that big aluminum thing).

Remove the air hose at the throttle body and remove the airbox top to make it easier.

You can access 2 of the plugs from the driver's side. If you can't squeeze your arm in, use some universal joints.

The last one to the passenger side, you reach in and do it.

At the end, it takes a good deal of cursing and end up with scratches on your arm.

Have fun.
  • camry_99camry_99 Member Posts: 2
    I have two questions, or problems I guess. Firstly I replaced my stock 14x6 wheels with a set of 17 x 7.5 wheels. They are perfectly aligned and balanced, with no problems, I JUST replaced the brakes slightly over 200 miles ago, both front rotors and pads, and adjusted rear drums and drum shoes. The ABS light was coming on prior to doing the replacement, it then came on one time afterwards and since than it has ceased to come on. It never came on before replacing my stock wheels. from the tip of the tire to the tip of the tire of my old wheels..the measurements are exact on my new wheels. IS there any reason for the ABS light to still be going off? My second question is with regards to a fuel injector system and startup. Ocassionally when I start my car it will start, then the rpm needle will drop to about 100 rpm..shudder up and down..and if I rev the engine it will be fine..if I don't the car turns off sometimes...could this be a fuel injector problem or a starter problem? Any help is greatly appreciated. If the engine type makes a difference I have a 4cyl with an intake system(replaced stock airbox) and pulley kit(replaced stock crank) ...Would this affect startup at all? Thanks!

p.s. I was also told by the toyota tech who last serviced my brakes that the whole odometer is thrown off now...but what I don't understand is the fact that I went with a low profile tire with no difference from tip of the tire to tip of the tire from stock...thanks.
    wheels: What tire size are you currently running?

Starting problem: not sure, but it's not a starter problem, nor the fuel injectors. Try putting the stock airbox back on (to rule out the intake). I'd probably be looking at the cold start circuits.
    Thanks.

BTW, what's your rpm when you stay on 70 mph (110 KM/h)? mine is about 2600, is it normal?

Thanks!
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    My 92 V6 is around 3000 RPM at 70 which is why the mpg is not so great, best I have ever gotten was 27 mpg. My 2000 Buick V6 at 70 mph (240 hp) is at 2000 rpms at 70 and gets just over 30 mpg on the highway. Obviously my Camry overdrive is not the greatest for mileage
    My old Camry, (88 V6, 5-speed) did 70 mph around 3200 rpm.

yours sounds normal
  • camry_99camry_99 Member Posts: 2
    Tires are 215/45/17 they are a dead on match to the old hubs with tires inflated..I stood it next to the car today and they are right on identical.
    I took off the intake today and put the airbox back in...starter problem still exists, I know it isn't the pulley kit because it started doing this recently (last two months) and the pulleys have been on for nearly two years, the intake is nearing a year...what else could it be? bad spark plugs? bad gas? dealership has been walking around with their thumbs up their you-know-whats saying they don't know what the problem is..uhh..how do you sell a car and NOT KNOW WHATS WRONG WHEN IT NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED?...any more advice much appreciated..Thanks!
    thanks, guys, seems my rpm is ok. I though japan cars are better on gas... I was wrong, my friend's 90 buick, does 1800 rpm at 70 mph. My old accord (4 cyl), did 3000 rpm at 70 rpm, however, it was a gas saver, 15 kms per liter (35 MPG?)...I miss it! BTW, what's included in a engine tune up? I want to save some money on gas.
  • camryinthcamryinth Member Posts: 3
    I have a '96 Camry, LE, 4 Cyl, with 90,000 miles on it. A few weeks ago, I noticed that the car would run fine up to around 50mph and then if I wanted to go faster, it seemed as if it was running hard (as if it did not want to got hat fast). RPM's would also get in the 3000+ range. Once I would get to the 70 MPH speed, RPM would eventually get back down to normal 2000 range. I had an oil change done at local Toyota dealer 2-3 weeks ago and told him to check out the 'shifting' issue. He said that he checked out and that his people did not notice anything wrong with the car. One week after the oil change, the check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer again and this time he told me that I need a new 'Shift Solenoid' at a cost of around $250 ($100 for part, $110 for labor and another $40 to diagnose the problem?). I told him I would think about it and then picked up the car with the 'check engine' light still on. 5 days ago the 'check engine' light disappeared and so did the high RPM issue. Neither has come back since. However, yesterday morning when I got off the expressway, the car seemed to hesitate at lower speeds and almost started sputtering when I pulled into the driveway at work.

Any idea as to what's going on here? Do I need to get it checked out by another mechanic? We only have one Toyota dealer in town but I can take it to another shop. If the shift solenoid needs replacing, can I buy it anywhere or is it a 'dealer' part? Can I replace it myself?

Also, when does the timing belt absolutely needs to be replaced? How much do they cost to get replaced?

Any advise is highly appreciated - Thanks.
    For the OE 195/70r14 tires going to 215/45 r17, yep they are an exact match in overall diameter (slight neglegible difference), so the tech was giving you a boat full of BS

The stalling, one of the other things I can think of is the Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) sensor. Check that for correct operation, along with the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor.
  • mtdavis0mtdavis0 Member Posts: 10
    hi, first time post here.

i'm about to purchase a 93 camry le. Whats the best suggestion for cleaning up the cloth upholstery myself.( previous driver also was a smoker)

Thanks,
  • jsamplesjsamples Member Posts: 2
    Re: 2002 Toyota Camry LE V6, automatic. This car has "cold shift shock" (a term used by the factory rep) when starting the car cold in the morning. The car does fine in backing out of the garage, but when you drop it into "Drive", the car jumps forward very hard. Beware, Driver, who does not have the brake on! I've had the car in, I've talked to Toyota, I've gone through mediation. Toyota says my car does not have a problem, is performing as designed, and there is nothing to fix. The car is still under warranty. I've started up cars on the dealer lot, I've stopped people with the same car, I've driven friends' cars- no other 2002 Camry appears to do this. This is a safety issue, also, as well as what it is doing to my transmission. Does anyone out there have this same problem? Please let me hear from you, if you do. Otherwise, I have a "lemon".
This discussion has been closed.