Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Insurance for BMW

larry_holmeslarry_holmes Member Posts: 2
edited December 2017 in BMW
I'm already going to be paying more than I would want to for a BMW 328i I'm thinking about purchasing soon, but now I need a cheap insurance company. What do you guys use? http://autovscarinsurance.com/amica-vs-geico/ My friends recommended GEICO but I looked online and the quotes were a little on the high side. Have you guys tried Esurance? Are they as cheap as advertised. Also what coverages can I remove for a cheaper premium? I thank you for any advice given.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well it's sort of a game. You may get a cheaper quote from one than the other, but that's often a lure to get you in--then they'll jack you up the next year. Also you should shop reputation, not just price, because if/when it comes claim time, you don't want to be messed with. Amica is top rated, hands down but they can be pricier. GEICO isn't rated too badly, compared to some of the other "big names". The Hartford seems to fare well too.

I had e-surance for a while but I left after Allstate bought them. Now I use AAA because I get discounts with multiple vehicles and home insurance. I'm sure I can get a little cheaper quote but with a live agent right in my town, I find that very convenient. They aren't rated very high, though, so we'll see how they perform once I need something.

Here's a JD Power Ratings Chart:

http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study/U.S.-Auto-Claims-Satisfaction-Study/3170ENG
  • larry_holmeslarry_holmes Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for the ratings chart. I heard that AAA offers a plethora of discounts. Is the initial $60 for a membership worth it? Are their premiums usually cheaper than GEICO?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826

Thanks so much for the ratings chart. I heard that AAA offers a plethora of discounts. Is the initial $60 for a membership worth it? Are their premiums usually cheaper than GEICO?

I don't think AAA actually has their own insurance. They just let some insurance company use their name.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    A lot of the "cheap" insurance companies ae quick to drop customers after a ticket or two or an accident. They can also be difficult to deal with.

We've used State Farm for many years. Our agent usually answers the phone himself and immediately knows who I am and he bends over backwards for us. Granted, we have perfect records and neither of us have ever had an accident. A few year back our son got a bunch of tickets in a row (like his dad did) and the only thing that happened was he lost his safe driving discount for a couple of years until some tickets dropped off.

Our next door neighbor uses the same agent and a few years ago when a tree fell on his house, the 65,000 claim was quickly paid without a raise in his rates.

So, ask a lot of questions. A lot will depend on your age and driving record. If you are young the fact it's a BMW can cause your rates to soar.

When we were in California we used AAA and still are members. Like kyfdx said, they now farm out their insurance to other companies and act as a broker.
  • BrianJames1BrianJames1 Member Posts: 1

I'm already going to be paying more than I would want to for a BMW 328i I'm thinking about purchasing soon, but now I need a cheap insurance company. What do you guys use? My friends recommended GEICO but I looked online and the quotes were a little on the high side. Have you guys tried Esurance? Are they as cheap as advertised. Also what coverages can I remove for a cheaper premium? I thank you for any advice given.

As one person recommended check out J.D. Power or another study site. https://quoteraters.com/esurance-vs-progressive/ Esurance fails in comparison to some of the larger names out there. I got a rate for $400 a month when other companies charged me less than half of that.