Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2018 BMW 540i xDrive Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2017 in BMW
image2018 BMW 540i xDrive Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

The 2018 BMW 5 Series was all-new from top to bottom for 2017, so we added one to our long-term fleet to see if it sets a new standard for midsize luxury sedans.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    "...elevated ride heights and larger cargo capacities." Crossovers have larger cargo capacities because they're hatchbacks, not because they have elevated ride heights. Make the 5-series available as a wagon, with all powertrains - done.

Americans like crossovers because we are fat and out of shape and can't bend in the middle to get into a lower car.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    About 15-20 years ago, gooseneck trunk hinges were the kiss of death in car reviews. This was particularly true of luxury sedans but came to be true in lesser classes as well. Goosenecks would crush luggage when exposed and eat into cargo room when enclosed (as is the case in the new 5 series). Alternate hinge setups were more complex and expensive but opened up more usable trunk space. So, what happened? Why don't reviews ever mention this anymore? Was there some detente in the industry where journalists agreed to stop mentioning it and car manufacturers all agreed to transition back to goosenecks? Or is there some hidden advantage to goosenecks (beyond the cost savings) that I'm missing?
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Eh, boring. Another $75k BMW Sedan. Yeah, yeah. You'll love the "handling" and "performance".
  • Options
    5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    “Oh wow ANOTHER Camry? Didn’t we just have one?” - goes out and gets 12th BMW
  • Options
    cdb2017cdb2017 Member Posts: 11
    I do know on my 2018 530e the “gooseneck trunk hinges” don’t go in to the luggage compartment removing Legacygt’s concern. I assume it’s the same on the test vehicle here and the picture bears that out. No intrusion in to the luggage compartment.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    I've driven every iteration of the G30 and for me the sweet spot is the RWD M Sport 540i. That said, if I needed a sedan(which I don't, than goodness) I'd get an Executive Package M3 for similar money.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive