Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chains on 21" wheels for a 2018 X3 M40i?

callatiscallatis Member Posts: 1
edited January 2018 in BMW
Hi all,

I was wondering if I can put chains, cables etc. on the 21" tires, for the X3 M40i. I know I won't normally need them, but just wanted to make sure I have the option. I had a 2006 330 xi before, and when I wanted to change to the largest wheels (18" -> 19", if I recall correctly), someone (a dealer, I think) told me that I won't be able to as I won't have enough space between the tire and the body of the car. I was wondering if this will be the same challenge with the 21" on M40i.

Anticipated thanks for your help!

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,846
    21" huh? I was bummed that my wife's X3 came with 19" wheels.

Where you tend to lose space with larger wheels is in the diameter. Technically, the 21" tires shouldn't be any taller than 18" tires... just shorter sidewalls. But, many upsized wheels are wider, and that's where most of the clearance issues start.

That said, I don't have the answer. Are your 21" tires all-seasons or summer tires?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    callatis said:

Hi all,

I was wondering if I can put chains, cables etc. on the 21" tires, for the X3 M40i. I know I won't normally need them, but just wanted to make sure I have the option. I had a 2006 330 xi before, and when I wanted to change to the largest wheels (18" -> 19", if I recall correctly), someone (a dealer, I think) told me that I won't be able to as I won't have enough space between the tire and the body of the car. I was wondering if this will be the same challenge with the 21" on M40i.

Anticipated thanks for your help!

I found some but they are bloody expensive!

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/New/21-inch/275-35-21/

There may be other makers, but I didn't find any among the standard chain companies. The one I posted is Swiss-made. Your rear tires are 275-35-21 in case you want to look further.

I don't think cable chains would last 10 minutes on your truck.
  • StormX3StormX3 Member Posts: 1
    Same problem! Have X3 2019 M40i and cannot find a cable to fit. Found a Konig one on etrailer.com for about $500 a pair but that's not gonna get me to the snow this weekend!