Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Report Your Local Gas Prices Here

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited December 2017
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/12/autos/aaa-premium-gas-study/index.html

CNN sez about PUG..... (PUG required to recommended cars are 10% to 15% of pvf)

I’m not sure why the CNN article fails to mention PUG is NOT recommended by the OEM s, (that should know) for the majority of the gasoline cars they build for the pvf?! While the CNN view/s do not rise to the level of disingenuousness, it is highly misleading. Down buying may be costly. So for example, modern cars are made to adjust for knocking. So if one’s car is knocking (way higher force parameters) it sets forces to work that can damage ones car.

(Ethanol) E10 to E15 takes another toll on emissions ( more & unmitigated), CO2 ( more) , flare off (more), hp (less), torque (less), mpg (less & unpublished) & % (less) , while it is used as an octane booster (cheaper).

MUM’s the ethanol by line here?

Life on the corny site http://www.worldofcorn.com/#/
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    I drive MBs where PUG is "required", so I just pony up and do it. The fintail's owners manual recommends 98 octane B)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,197
    Yeah.. most of our BMWs have all required premium. It's not so bad at the grocery store, but the Shell stations get about 80 to 90 cents more. It's hurtful.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Yikes - I thought it was bad when the QT went to a $0.50 difference. Fortunately my current cars are fine on RUG.
    Yeah.. our local grocery store (Kroger) is only $0.50-$0.55 more for PUG.

Our Tacoma uses regular. It's the first one that hasn't required PUG, since the Subaru lease ended in 2010.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

My local Chevron seldom has much more than a 25 cent spread between RUG and PUG.
    edited December 2017
    Costco, Folsom, CA (Gas Buddy-predicted drop in fuel prices- two days before this post & since my last price post) More TMI, another prices drop is predicted for tomorrow.
    $3.09 ULSD,
    $2.97 PUG
    $2.68 RUG.
    edited December 2017
    kyfdx said:

Report local gas prices, here.

This is not the diesel thread.

While I didn’t provide the initial (TDI 2.0 L) post nor data, it raised the curiosity. ;)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited December 2017
    We in northern CA have definitely felt the increase in gas prices, with an average increase of about .30 cents a gallon. So we'll chalk up .12 of that to the state of California and .18 to the greed of the oil companies.

If I figure out my "fleet average" of Mini Cooper (28 mpg), Dodge 4X4 (15 mpg), Triumph motorcycle (50 mpg) and bicycle , it's not too painful. Certainly not painful enough to justify moving into a more fuel efficient vehicle or vehicles.

edited December 2017
    That’s one reason why I post the numbers, so anyone can adapt the/their numbers (in the formula) to their particular situations.

It does beg the questions: 1. why they have not been applying decades paid GAS tax revenues to obvious critical areas like roads & bridges, etc., repair. 2. Then, why would you really/reasonably expect the same folks (who appropriated the decades long gas tax for non transportation related stuff) to actually apply the new & extra $ 5 B per yr. (they hope to collect) TO roads & bridges, etc., repair! ? This would be Einstein’s definition of insanity.

I’d have no objection if you volunteered to pay the extra $75 a year taxation @ 18 cents that I would have to pay to get one to work! (whose work $$’s are already taxed) ;)B)

I’d also like to get as a tax credit @ the/my current rate for the time it takes to commute to work! So for example, it takes about 1.5 hrs to 3 hrs a day. So I could get a tax credit for 37.5 hrs to 75 hr mo. 450 hrs to 900 hr per yr. I’d be letting you off cheap @ minimum wage= $6,750 yr, to $13,500 yr tax credit.

Longer term math led me to diesel in 2003. In 2017 it is still, if not more so compelling.

So making domicile in a tax free state & working off site are really YUGE savings!

But I do have to say I was rather jazzed when the daughter was granted her own designated parking space located in a SF “Hip” district, over looking the waters. The lot is guarded and has a host of cc TVs.

@ SF parking lot ranges of $10 to $20 per day fees.... that’s a lot of savings !?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Compared to what would happen to your car if you left it on the street---yes!
    edited December 2017
    OMG, the thought sent shivers down my spine! The feeling was like the proverbial, running fingernails on a chalkboard.
    Prices should be pretty stable. Lots of oil out there. 
    edited December 2017
    With WTI @ $ 57.04 per barrel (42 gal) yielding 19 gal RUG/13 gal ULSD = (pvf useable ) 32 gals of fuel (EIA.gov), the wholesale prices are -48 cents below WTI per barrel $ cost.

@ a current cost of $ 40 pr barrel.... Frack on! http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/24/investing/fracking-shale-oil-boom/index.html

It would seem the holy grail list to improve on that $40 per barrel franking cost.

I’m not sure how this fits in the oil pricing pantheon, but I saw a CBS Saudi Arabian oil special, hosted by Leslie Stahl, which among many things indicated that it costs Saudi Arabia $ 2 per barrel to get it out of the ground. Each barrel is presumably sold at or above WTI/Brent prices.
    edited December 2017
    Not sure I follow your math. A gallon of crude is $57/42 = $1.36, RUG wholesale = $1.65, so $0.29/gallon to transport and refine.

More precisely, the 'crack spread' (don't ask me why it's called that) is the difference between crude price and wholesale product value (all products from a barrel of oil). It ranges from $0.25 - $0.40/gallon right now, depending on the area world-wide.
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for inadvertently hitting on it. I just didn’t know what it (profit margin) was/ranged in the real world, i.e., your $.25-$.40 a gallon (on a 42 gal barrel). https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_spread

I’ve also read that the 42 gallons EXPANDS 3 gals to roughly 45 gallons of sellable product. I just don’t remember what that product/s is/are.
    Not a 'profit margin'. That covers all costs for transportation (pipelines, tankers, etc) and refining.
    edited December 2017
    Then your issue might be with Wikipedia. It clearly says profit margin in their second sentence.
    Yes, it's wrong. It's like calling the difference between log price and lumber price the 'profit margin' for a sawmill. Profit = revenue - costs, which include all costs, not just cost of materials. The article should call it the 'wholesale margin', or something like that.
    edited December 2017
    That’s why a host of to most folks have a hard time believing companies like Exxon Mobil only make less than four cents on the dollar.

Much less (profit) might threaten the 3.73% per share dividend.
    edited December 2017
    https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/?page=oil_home

Here is a .gov site that might be informative in part, explaining gasoline prices.

Diesel https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/index.cfm?page=diesel_home
    edited December 2017
    Frack & refine on!

It’s interesting to note that the latest 2016 figures indicate 20 gal per bbl yield instead of the past 19 gallons of gasoline. = 33 gal vs 32 gal ULSD remains 13 gal per bbl.
    Local Chevron:
    RUG - 3.05
    Midgrade - 3.19
    PUG - 3.29
    Diesel - 3.07

(Prices before 15 cent cash discount).

Looks like either diesel fell or unleaded increased - diesel was getting close to premium for a little while. I filled up there, will probably top off the tank while on the road next Sunday, but not in King County, so maybe marginally cheaper yet.
    Shell station on Friday night.
    RUG $2.39
    PUG $3.01

This Shell has the smallest spread of any local Shell.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Down a penny for RUG at QT: $2.019
    Most people know this, but Gas Buddy has the app that indicates whether fuel prices will rise or fall. Bottom line: whether you should hold off or buy now.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    6 cents down to $2.69 here.

Beats coal in your stocking I guess :)
    edited December 2017
    Gas Buddy predicts another down day ($$) here for tomorrow.
    $ 3.25 ULSD 76 Unocal, found on Gas Buddy, near the dentist. 36 mpg, where the like model gets 19-22 mpg premium.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    In central CT...
    Paid 2.559(includes 6 cents for paying with credit card) for RUG the last couple of times filling up the Fusion.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Popped from $1.98 to $2.20 a couple of days ago. Oil prices up. 
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,119
    I paid $3.34/gal for 91 octane at a Shell station in CA this morning. It was $4/gal at the Chevron station across the street.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

I paid $3.34/gal for 91 octane at a Shell station in CA this morning. It was $4/gal at the Chevron station across the street.

$3.34 is cheap for Shell PUG in CA. I've been paying over $3.00 here in the midwest. But, we get 93 octane. B)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Bumped back up to $2.79

Maybe it's because it got cold :smile:
    $3.19 D2, $2.95 P, $2.63 R, Folsom, CA.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Our RUG dropped to $2.22 from $2.29 CC price. Diesel has not changed in over 2 months. $2.72 at Smith's. Family from CA came for Christmas and could not believe how cheap gas is in Pahrump, NV. Even lower than Las Vegas. Lowest Cash price is $2.18 for RUG.
    Paid 2.94 for Chevron Diesel today, with the 15 cent cash discount. Not sure about gasoline , but the last time I was there, diesel was between regular and mid-grade.
    Weather has our price frozen at $2.79 apparently. :)
    PF_Flyer said:

Weather has our price frozen at $2.79 apparently. :)

Too cold to go out and change the sign.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yup ! Got to love all the global warming!
  • pinkfrogdancerpinkfrogdancer Member Posts: 1
    San Marcos, CA $3.00 for Reg
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,119
    $2.56/gal for mid grade (87) at Kroger’s in CO yesterday. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

It warmed up. They could change the sign. Up to $2.85
    Carson City, NV

$2.49 ULSD,

$2.69 PUG
    Was in Pittsburgh for the playoff game yesterday and paid $2.79
    My condolences....