Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Road Trip!

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,167
    The cam does OK in the dark. Or you mean the snow-covered dolts being in the dark? :)

This evening - Mustang with parking lights, Fusion with nothing.
    Perfect example of what's going on out there - I'd love to see the phone records (and if a citation was actually issued).
    edited December 2017
    Tonight's winners: subprime boom-era Denali with parking lights, foglights, no headlights; late model RAV4 with nothing.

And I hope we get a lot of rain to wash the de-icer off the roads, the oily sludge drives me nuts.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    fintail said:

And I hope we get a lot of rain to wash the de-icer off the roads, the oily sludge drives me nuts.

Same here; particularly when it is on my windshield! :(

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I think I've used half a container of washer fluid this week.

It has rained steadily all day though, heading for 2" here (a big daily total here, Seattle rain is duration, not volume), which should clean things up a bit.
    xwesx said:

Same here; particularly when it is on my windshield! :(

New twist - the braintrust of my city is now using sand instead of de-icer. I saw a truck out this morning, and several roads have a layer of sand and grime. It never ceases to amaze me. Temps above freezing, low dewpoint, let's go crazy! I wonder if one of the brave warriors for accountability in the public works arena also owns a car wash, or their brother owns a road supply firm.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,923
    Well at least sand doesn’t rot your car!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I wonder if the increased use of brine/de-icer and anything mixed with the sand might harm the reputation this area has for rust-free cars. I suspect it can't help. Back in the day, sand was rare and nothing else was used, people just dealt with it. With increased population comes increased paranoia and idiocy.

Something else fun on the roads here - we'll see how long this lasts. Of course, emphasis doesn't appear to be made by city/county forces, where the real problems seem to exist.

When it rains it pours (but no actual rain today, yay). Winners:

Older Lancer - nothing, Fiesta or Focus (not near me) - nothing, Lexus RX - nothing, Lexus IS - DRLs, Civic - DRLs, Camry - nothing, Mustang - parking lights,
    Something new for any upcoming road trips to Oregon Hard to believe the whine is real, but then again, think of the average person.

Also, I see our festering trashy clone of the Keebler Elf AG is looking to crack down on wacky tobacky, I am sure that will make the roads safer too.

fintail said:

Something new for any upcoming road trips to Oregon Hard to believe the whine is real, but then again, think of the average person.

Also, I see our festering trashy clone of the Keebler Elf AG is looking to crack down on wacky tobacky, I am sure that will make the roads safer too.

Hahahahah; wow. The no-self-service thing is crazy. When I was growing up, we had our own tank at the house, so we usually pumped our own. Other times, my father was quite adept at using the "cardlock" stations that were available during the 1980s, but even then the state cracked down on those and they all were gone during the 1990s.

Nowadays, when I'm in Oregon, I usually pump my own about 50% of the time. I'm not being intentionally jerky here; I just don't think about not doing something I'm perfectly capable of doing. So, unless an "attendant" is on the ball and actually at my vehicle when I'm ready to fill the tank, the chances are that I'm already pumping it, or done pumping it, by the time they even show up.

I did enjoy that article, though. It makes me think about all those stations where they have like 2-3 attendants pumping for a dozen cars, and they just click the nozzle and run off to the next car, not paying any attention to the other vehicles until some time after the fuel is done pumping. Yay safety! LOL
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    xwesx said:

fintail said:

Hahahahah; wow. The no-self-service thing is crazy. When I was growing up, we had our own tank at the house, so we usually pumped our own. Other times, my father was quite adept at using the "cardlock" stations that were available during the 1980s, but even then the state cracked down on those and they all were gone during the 1990s.

Nowadays, when I'm in Oregon, I usually pump my own about 50% of the time. I'm not being intentionally jerky here; I just don't think about not doing something I'm perfectly capable of doing. So, unless an "attendant" is on the ball and actually at my vehicle when I'm ready to fill the tank, the chances are that I'm already pumping it, or done pumping it, by the time they even show up.

I did enjoy that article, though. It makes me think about all those stations where they have like 2-3 attendants pumping for a dozen cars, and they just click the nozzle and run off to the next car, not paying any attention to the other vehicles until some time after the fuel is done pumping. Yay safety! LOL
    I learned something on last trip to Oregon. Pumping your own gas is against state law. Pumping diesel is Not.
    I usually try to enter OR on a full tank, so I won't need to refuel much. I've only had to refuel there 2 or 3 times. I've never had to wait though, maybe because I use Chevron, which isn't the cheapest, hence, less crowded, an attendant was always ready. I'd just clearly specify what type of fuel I wanted.

People there who are seriously afraid of pumping their own fuel are amazing, what a world.

That reminds me of another difference - in Europe, at least everywhere where I've bought fuel, you don't have to prepay.
    fintail said:

That reminds me of another difference - in Europe, at least everywhere where I've bought fuel, you don't have to prepay.

Interesting! One would think "drive offs" would be more likely, not less, given the cost of fuel in Europe.

I like the modern days of pay-at-the-pump, but there are still many stations along the Alaska Highway where I must go inside and leave my credit card before the clerk activates the pump. Then, of course, there is the second, post-pump trip inside as well.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,119
    I only drove about 50 miles within Oregon. Didn't even know about it. We refueled in WA, on our way back to SeaTac.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,923
    I’m in the other non self service state (NJ) and I swear I’m the only person in the entire state that would rather pump their own.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Almost saw no winners tonight, but then 2 blocks from home, a Forester with DRL - yes, singular, as only one was working. Nice.

I think the culture of theft may be different there, or, generally, if you can afford to run a car, you can afford fuel. I am sure they have occasional drive-offs too.

I like to pay at the pump too, for 4% credit card rewards. My local Chevron also gives 15 cents/gal cash discount on weekends, which is even better than the credit card, with current prices.
    xwesx said:

Interesting! One would think "drive offs" would be more likely, not less, given the cost of fuel in Europe.

I like the modern days of pay-at-the-pump, but there are still many stations along the Alaska Highway where I must go inside and leave my credit card before the clerk activates the pump. Then, of course, there is the second, post-pump trip inside as well.

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    fintail said:

I usually try to enter OR on a full tank, so I won't need to refuel much. I've only had to refuel there 2 or 3 times. I've never had to wait though, maybe because I use Chevron, which isn't the cheapest, hence, less crowded, an attendant was always ready. I'd just clearly specify what type of fuel I wanted.

People there who are seriously afraid of pumping their own fuel are amazing, what a world.

An unintended problem with the unwitting pumping their own. Of course in Oregon they will choose the Greenest option. :D

Funny, but that looks like a Q5, which might actually be diesel ;)
    Only a couple examples of stable genius tonight - Edge with DRLs, Mustang with fog lights and nothing else.
    Got drenched jogging tonight, and saw a few winners - Chrysler 200 with DRLs, BMW E65 with parking lights., Ford 500/Taurus with nothing
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    I guess everyone needs a hobby.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Well, the snide comment avocation is already full, so I branched out :)

But really, not like anyone is taking an actual road trip this year, and with the inconsiderate driver thread gone and vanished without comment, there's nothing else going on.
    Hey, I took a sort-of actual road tripish thing.... Yesterday!

I left at 0330 to drive down to Anchorage to get my Q7 from the dealer. They had it a full week in order to apply the diesel "fix" from VAG. I picked it up at 1000 hrs, and was home by 1700. All in all, a quiet, beautiful trip. I took some various photos along the way as well, but cannot share at the moment, as I pulled them from my iPod last night on my home computer.
    So, fin, did you get drenched due to rain (directly), or from a vehicle splashing you while you jogged? :D
    Rain. Drizzle when I left, pouring midway though. I wasn't thrilled. I can usually avoid the splashes. They say the rain may stop by Friday afternoon, at least for a couple days.

7 hour drive home from the dealer, glad mine is closer B)
    Get those pics up!

Weird day today, no geniuses on my route tonight. Plenty of dopey drivers, but all had lights.
    edited January 2018
    fintail said:

Get those pics up!

Sheesh! So demanding. I shall do so when I get home tonight! :p

I took one photo of my dash in the Q3 on the way down. It is too blurry to make out, unfortunately, but the temperature at the time was -30F. The wind in that area was also astounding. I don't know what it was, for sure, but I tried to get out for a break and the air felt like tiny knives on my face. I said, "no thanks," and just got back into the car to keep driving. With wind chill, it had to be -50 or -60 right there.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    So up there in Alaska part of that drive was probably in darkness this time of year and maybe some blowing snow. Did you have your lights on B)
    You should run a dashcam - with the wacky stuff there, you might be able to make a popular Youtube channel.

The closest I've been to that cold is in a plane, with the cold outside. When I was a kid and lived east of the mountains, it might have dipped a little below 0F now and then, but that was it. The wind chill might have been -20-30 though. And of course on the west side, anything below 20F or so is seen as bitter cold.
    xwesx said:

Sheesh! So demanding. I shall do so when I get home tonight! :p

I took one photo of my dash in the Q3 on the way down. It is too blurry to make out, unfortunately, but the temperature at the time was -30F. The wind in that area was also astounding. I don't know what it was, for sure, but I tried to get out for a break and the air felt like tiny knives on my face. I said, "no thanks," and just got back into the car to keep driving. With wind chill, it had to be -50 or -60 right there.

edited January 2018
    berri said:

So up there in Alaska part of that drive was probably in darkness this time of year and maybe some blowing snow. Did you have your lights on B)

Hahaha. Yes, actually, MOST of the drive was in darkness! The whole drive down (I arrived in Anchorage at 0945, so it was just getting light), and the last 1.5 hours or so of the drive home. And, yes... I ALWAYS drive with my lights on.

Fintail would be so disappointed.... B)
    edited January 2018
    Okay, so photos... chronologically. And, grainy is just how my iPod takes photos. :(

Blurry, as noted, but this (honest to goodness!) says -30F in the lower right corner of the info screen. 0550 hrs

Later on, at 0827 hrs, a little north of Wasilla

0850 hrs, just south of Wasilla....

edited January 2018
    1020 hrs, leaving Anchorage in the Q7 (location is northbound Glenn Highway, near Fort Richardson). It was about ten degrees here, and the poor Q7 was completely frosted over on the outside.

edited January 2018
    1213 hrs, approaching Trapper Creek headed north with Denali in the background. The iPod makes things in the distance look rather diminuitive, but it was massively looming ahead. Check out that blue sky, though! It was unbelievably clear this day....!

edited January 2018
    1250 hrs, at the "Denali View South" pullout, I dressed up in my winter gear and trudged out to the overlook. It was around here that was -30F earlier in the day, and was a balmy -10F at this point. Wind was just gustily roaring, though.

A minute later, looking back toward the road (you can make out my car in the back of the middle frame if you expand the photo to full size). Note the swirling snow whipped up by the wind. :)

And, later, at 1410 hrs, a little north of Cantwell going through the pass just south of the entrance to Denali National Park.

A frozen Nenana river in the foreground. On our way down last week (January 1st), we saw a dirt bike zooming down the middle of the river. I kid you not!

edited January 2018
    And, finally, crossing the bridge over the Tanana River at Nenana. This is at 1604 hrs, and the day's light was spent at this point. An hour later, and I was through the woods, too. :p

It actually looks a lot lighter in the photo than it felt in real life. Note the illumination from the car's low beam lights...

fintail said:

You should run a dashcam - with the wacky stuff there, you might be able to make a popular Youtube channel.

I have thought strongly about getting one, and probably will do so for my wife's Forester, at least, very soon. I have a Blackvue in my Amazon cart for the longest time....

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    I love clear cold weather. Thanks for the photos.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Very cool pics. I can't imagine it being that cold, and I forget what blue skies look like. Do you use the heated seats constantly? Being where I am, if it is below 35-40 or so, I often turn on the seats.

My cam is a Blackvue, it's been pretty solid over the past 3 years. Software can have a quirk, but the physical operation has no issues.
    Those shots are sharp!
    fintail said:

Very cool pics. I can't imagine it being that cold, and I forget what blue skies look like. Do you use the heated seats constantly? Being where I am, if it is below 35-40 or so, I often turn on the seats.

My cam is a Blackvue, it's been pretty solid over the past 3 years. Software can have a quirk, but the physical operation has no issues.

This is actually the first car I have had where I *can* leave the heated seats on for long periods. I have it set on "3" (out of six options) all of the time during the winter. I think I turned it on back in September and have not touched it since. It offers a very gentle warm - just enough to take the chill off the leather seating.
    I might have a high tolerance for it - I like my seats hot. When it is freezing here, I enjoy the seats on their max setting. Maybe the Audi gets hotter - I have only 3 settings.

Saw a trifecta this evening - Camry with 1: no lights 2: turning without a signal 3: into a green lighted occupied crosswalk. Welcome to the PNW! Apparently the braintrust in my city has fallen for the "vision zero" feelgood scheme, but there seems to be zero enforcement - maybe that's the vision, do what you want and don't worry.
    xwesx said:

This is actually the first car I have had where I *can* leave the heated seats on for long periods. I have it set on "3" (out of six options) all of the time during the winter. I think I turned it on back in September and have not touched it since. It offers a very gentle warm - just enough to take the chill off the leather seating.

It's the legal weed Fin B)
    I wish it was that simple - but the same issues on the road existed before. I suspect the fully privatized driver's testing system here has just as much to do with it. Isell no doubt has a list of test drive tales.
    Test drives - you mean like that 57 Chevy resulting in a buried Edsel in the movie "Used Cars". :'(