Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cougar Support Group - General Maintenance

Comments

• fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    bob, I dunno, but I've had it snowing in my car before... its quite the sight...
    ok well maybe not... I think your friend is probably right... funny during the
    winter we probably keep our cars at like 80 and in the summer we can't handle 80
    hehe
  • badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    This morning before work I dropped off my Kitty at the Ford dealer for some basic maintenance. While I was there the service manager tried to talk me in to a $450.00 tune up. This would include: an engine tune up, oil change, check and replace brake pads (if needed), rotate & balance tires, flush and fill cooling system, replace all filters, check hoses, and a few other things. When I told them that the car does not need a tune up for at least 100,000 miles, he said the plugs need to be changed at 30,000 miles because the gap usually widens over time. I have never heard of this and told him to just check the brakes, change the fuel filter, and to rotate the tires and balance them.

Has anyone else heard of this $450 tune up? Is this something that FMC requires, or is this something derived from the dealers imagination?
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    I think that the service mgr. must get a comission on any unnecessary service that he sells!!!

Plugs might be a good idea around 30-50K mi., but other than that, you can check your own PCV, oxygen sensor, etc. And as far as re-blalncing the tires, not necessary unless you see uneven wear or feel unusual vibrations. And don't even get me started on flushing and replacing the coolant. Look in the radiator cap. Is it still the right color? Is it clean (no oil or rust)? Use a tester to see if it'll still protect to -30 or so. You havn't had the car long enough to wear that stuff out.

If you want to get anal about filters, look in Chilton's service book for the instructions, and do it yourself!!!!

$450.00, my [non-permissible content removed]!!!!

Skip G.
    Skip:
    I agree, that's why I told him to just check the brakes, rotate the tires and check the balance (I feel a slight wobble at high speeds). I personally don't like to mess with the fuel filter, that's why I told them to check it.

When he said $450 my jaw almost hit the ground. After all the cash I just dropped on my home theater system I have no intentions of spending that kind of money for a while.
  • coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    I heard on Car Talk that even if the car is advertised to go 100K miles before a tune-up, to go ahead and pull and replace the same plugs every 25K miles or so, so that they don't become corroded into their sockets causing them to break off when the time comes to change them.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Then was is the purpose of the 100,000 mile service interval? Is it a marketing scheme?
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    Most cars made now come with 100,000 mile tune-up intervals. Does the 100,000 mile refer to just the platinum tipped spark plugs or does that include the spark plug wires, PVC, fuel filter, etc. as well?
    As some of you might remember, I've had a very unhappy experience buying my Cat from Park L-M of Yonkers.

Well, this weekend, I was driving by the area and saw that the L-M dealer is now a Subaru dealer. I decided to pass by their service location and saw a sign that said moved to some city in New Jersey.

Does it really matter which dealer you take your Cat to? I've got close to 4,000 miles on her. I don't plan on taking her to the dealer anytime soon. I can get the oil change and tire rotation somewhere else. But I'm a little concerned as for the warranty work. If my car breaks down or something, where do I go?
    Right now my Cat is at a Ford dealership. Just bring it to any LMC or Ford dealership. They will do the work for you.
    I just called the dealership and they told me that my wheels are NOT covered under the warranty. I have noticed some slight rusting on the front wheels, but the dealer says that it is not rust and just brake dust caught under the clear coat which according to them was scratched off while I was washing them. This sounds like a load of crap to me. Since I wash them only with soap and water I don't see how they got scratched.

(sigh) is there a decent FMC dealer anywhere in this country? Does everything have to be an uphill battle with these people? I'm really sick and friggin tired of dealing with all of these made up excuses and service technician bull crap.

Brake dust caught under the clear coat!!!!??? This is the best one I have heard of to date. I know rust when I see rust, and that is rust on my year and a half old wheels.

This is sad, but in order to get decent service i'm going to have to drive 45 miles and take it to a service department where I know someone who works there.

FMC YOUR SERVICE DEPARTMENTS ARE PISS POOR!!!!
    I had my car in for a regular service about 1 month ago. For the first time, there were no quality issues with the work done on my car(oil change and look at AC again). The dealer appeared to have done a decent job with handling(cleanliness) my car as well as the job itself.
    I got a call about 2 weeks ago from my service advisor and she asks me how my car is since I brought it in last. I'm thinking what the hell, why is she asking me this!!!! Then she says that I will be getting a survey from Ford within a couple of weeks and she wants me to give them a positive review. The funny part about this is I have NEVER gotten a call or survey from the service dept nor Ford in the past when the dealer has screwed up with by either damaging my car or not fixing the problem in the first place.
    But the first time they do something right, I'm getting calls to see if everything went OK!!!!
    Where are the calls when things are not good?
  • ptailorptailor Member Posts: 42
    From my new dealership, i get a call a week after every service I have done on my cougar. They even mail out a survey from time to time. My last service wasn't that great, and i had given them a bad review on the survey. A few days later i got a apology card from Ford, and a free oil change! I'd say that's pretty good service.. But still not as good as the service i get from my Mazda dealer.

...Pritesh
    I wish I would get that kind of service. My dealer has NEVER even offered a free oil change. Once they promised to wash my car, but when I got my car back from service they had forgotten to wash it!!!

I wonder why dealers are so different in how they service their customers?
  • stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    I think it has something to do with this formula:

(length of time in business) * (number of cars sold) * (number of cars serviced) - (number of complaints) * (number of kudos) / (location & service level expectancy) = (quality of service)

There may be a few criteria I missed in there, but depending on all that stuff, I'm sure it's just the management of the dealer and how much they're willing to spend per customer and complaint. I know I'd have loved to hit my dealer in head with a customer service stick once or twice in the past ...
  • ptailorptailor Member Posts: 42
    I won't even go into the hassles I got with the dealership I bought my car from. Their service was awful. They would treat me like a kid because I am only 21. (But of course, they didn't treat me like a kid when I forked over the cash to buy the car)
    After finding my new dealership, things are great. If anyone is in the Surrey, BC Canada area.. Hallmark Ford is where you should be going! (and avoid Dams Ford Lincoln at all costs)

...Pritesh
    I think it only makes sense to treat younger buyers with much respect. Why? Because look at the number of cars they will buy in their life time. If you provide them with a quality product and great service they will tend to be more loyal for future purchases.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    OK everyone!

Here's the test!

Everyone go out and get an accurate thermometer. Now, the next time its a hot sunny day turn on your Cat's air conditioner. After five minutes of driving, place the thermometer directly at or into one of the center dashboard vents and write down some readings. Do it once with the Mode Selector control at the normal A/C setting and then a minute or two later set the Mode Selector to MAX A/C (i.e. Recirculate).

Please post your A/C and MAX A/C readings, as well as the outside air temperature indicated on your dashboard computer and the model year of your Cat, here in Cougar Support Group - General Maintenance (Topic #5).

The tally should give all of us some ammunition if it's necessary to visit our dealer's service department. I'm waiting for the midday sun today. I'll post my results later.
    Anyone have a thermometer I can borrow?
    Outside air: 75°
    Inside Air: 125°
    Fan Setting: 4
    A/C Setting: MAX A/C
    Inside after 5 min A/C: 48°
    " " 10 " " 47°
    Speed: Highway

Interestingly, the inside temp goes up about 5° after idling for a minute at a traffic light, then drops when back up to road speed.

Anybody getting any lower temperatures?
    badulah:

Sure, you can borrow mine, in Rockland.
    Blane:
    Actually i'm not far from you at all. I work in Mahwah on the NY State border. I can literally walk to the state line on Franklin Turnpike.
    Did anyone see you taking your Cats tempature? They would probably think you have lost it.
    fish8:

At least it wasn't taken via the tailpipe.

badulah:

That's why I mentioned Rockland. The offer still stands.

All:

If we gather some data, maybe those of us who feel that the A/C temperature output is not up to par will have some ammunition when we discuss problems with the dealerships. I think my A/C is a bit weak, but when I brought the subject up last fall, the dealer said all was well.
    LOL! LOL! LOL!
  • neonreaperneonreaper Member Posts: 9
    I just picked up my Cat 10 days ago. I really like the car!! I've put on 600+ miles on it already. I looked in the manuals for the car and it states that every 5000 miles is when the oil ought to be changed. That seems a little high to me. There was also no mention of early services of the car, and it has been suggested to me that some cars should be checked on after like 500 or 1000 miles after it is new. Anyone out there have anything to say about this?

Thanks!
    1000miles is recommended after your breakin period...
    recommended by FMC, (I emailed and called directly)
    Basically will remove any particles of metal and other
    gunk from the engine manufaturing process.

E-

I might even suggest switching to synthetic
    Mobil 1 or equivlent, I did this at 5000 miles
  • bobschmbobschm Member Posts: 42
    I changed oil at 3000 miles first time to get out the loose metal, but stayed with dinosaur oil. I wanted the engine to wear in some more. This initial wear lets pistons and bearings loosen up a bit and lets valves hammer their seats down tighter. My next change is due now at 8000 miles and I'll switch to synthetic.
    AAAAAIIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Was cleaning up the kitty this morning and found that the rubberized paint is peeling off of the bottom edge of the driver's side door! My poor Adelaide, not even 4 months old and she's scarred, I tell you, SCARRED!!!!

This means she's going to have to be away from me at the dealer's while she's being brought back to a state of perfection.

Why do bad things happen to good kitties?????
    And on a not-so-alarmist note, I have misplaced my leather cleaner/conditioner, so the interior detailing may have to wait a day or so :b
    Sorry to hear about your paint damage, but at least you caught it in time before any real damage was caused.
  • LakesongLakesong Member Posts: 2
    This is lakesong fellas...how you been?

Its replacement time for my BF Goodrichs.

I have 26k on my tires, and they haven't performed well since 18k.

I'm looking at Dunlop SP5000, BF Goodrich g-Force t/a KDWs and Michelin Pilot XGT V4/Z4s. Dunlop seems to get a better rating, in fact, its wet pavement rating is better than the Michelins on dry, but its cheaper. Do you think it is as good as the more expensive ones?

Let me know what you think right away, cause I need to buy them this week. I've put it off too long. I've done research at tirerack.com. and spoken with some local vendors.

Thanks ;-)
    BTW: hi Skip !
    I've replaced the VR4's(at 18800) with the BFG G-force KDW's and can't stop singin their praises
    now as far as the others I do not know. What I do know is that the KDW's ran about 100 a piece from tire rack.
    Lakesong, that's interesting. With all the negative comments torwards the Firerocks I figured we'd be hearing about people replacing those before the BFG's. It's surprising that they're wearing at that mileage, although at 23+K myself, I'm in the market to find some new tires too (to replace my Firerocks).

Sorry I don't have any info on newer tires, but I know there is a topic in this Town Hall somewhere that discusses performance tires, so maybe you could check that out.

Good luck!
    Good to hear from you!!!!

Now I guess that answers the question as to where you've been- Out driving at high speeds and high cornering forces. Baby needs new shoes already.

Skip G.
  • LakesongLakesong Member Posts: 2
    I decided on Dunlops SP 5000s. Went up from 215 to 225s, the rest of the size is the same as I had before. The Goodrichs were awesome when they were new and up to 18K, but I wanted to try something different.

We got them put on at TireWorld. The guy that manages the place has a sport car, don't know what kind, but when he saw the tires on my car, he regretted getting the ones he had. He said he had never thought of looking into the Dunlops, and now wishes he had. Several of the technicians were admiring how the tires looked on kitty, and a mustang 5.0 owner walked around her twice scoping her and the new tires out.

I got these because I need to feel absolutely secure in the rain, and these are supposed to be really good in wet. They are rated 340 AA A.

I didnt want a summer tire, but I think that would have been my next choice, especially if I wasn't leasing, I think I would have two sets for the seasons, since our winters can be as hard as our summers.

I'll say goodbye for a while to all you die hards, I do want to know how to get a decal from Badulah though.

See ya !
  • catscratchcatscratch Member Posts: 34
    hey lakesong, what was your per tire cost?
    Don't leave us!!! :(

Does this mean that we won't hear from you for another 20K miles?

If so, drive fast but safe, have fun, and hurry back!

Skip G.
    Has anyone had the plastic trim piece around the door handle come loose? Mine is starting to on the driver's side -- same door that has the poor paint job on the bottom edge and badly-fitted rubber seals around the door openings.

I think I had the Ford poor door lord working on my precious kitty the day she came down the assembly line.
    I have not noticed that on my Cat. Though I have heard others talk about that problem. The dealer should fix it under warranty. I know its a pain to bring it to the dealer.

Do you have a noticable rattles in your car?
    fish8 No rattles that I've heard. Tight as a drum.
    I get some rattles from what sounds like directly above the passenger side dashboard only when I go over large, jarring bumps such as bridge joints or driveway entrances.

Other than that, nary a rattle has crossed mine ears.

However, the Cat still displays the Battery idiot light when I hit 5000 RPMs when driving. It doesn't seem to affect driveability or power, but it is annoying. Last time I had the dealer check out that problem, he said it was nothing, but since it's still happening I wonder if it is something. Anyone else experiencing this?
    Sounds like you're driving your Cat a little too hard. Camelard must've been talking about you when he posted his response to "driving hard" in the other topic.

But the next time (which will be my first time) I hit 5,000 rpm, I'll keep an eye out for the idiot battery light.
  • camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    It was extremely humid in Ottawa this evening after a day of non-stop rain. So when I got into my Cat after work I naturally turned on the A/C and what did I get. Smoking vents, no joke. Now I am sure it was actually steam rather than smoke but I have never seen anything like it. It did stop within about 30 seconds but still!

Have any of you that live in humid areas ever experienced this. Is it just accumulated moisture vapourising or is it something more sinister. Please advise.

Dasaint1: That's gal to you. Given that the Cat's rated at 170hp at 6250 rpm, driving at 5k rpm shouldn't be a problem as long as you are in 5th.

Stageleft: So what gear are you in when you hit 5k and the Battery light comes on?
    The "smoke" is normal. It is just the cold AC air hitting the humid air inside the car. Thats why after 30 seconds when the inside was less humid the "smoke" stopped. The mist is just an indication of your AC working correctly.

6250 rpm: I rarely drive my Cat to that high an RPM. The only time I might is if I'm passing someone or if I need to show someone whose boss!!!!! ;-> If ya know waht I mean!!!????
    Camelard:

I hit 5k rpms pretty regularly. I try not to in first (unless I'm showing someone what the Cat is capable of, hehe) but in second, third (merging on the highway) it comes on. When I drop the rpms below 5k, the light goes out. My theory is that at that rpm, the engine torque might be pulling a battery or alternator cable tight enough to cause a disruption of current. I don't know. I will have them check it out again.

Dasaint:

I don't think there is a thing as "too hard", unless it causes the premature wearing of parts (other than tires). :^) As was stated, with a redline of 6250, I should be able to drive all day long at 5k, I don't, but should be able to. It does have dohc, and the sophistication of machinery involved with that aluminum engine block really is amazing. So, other than that little light (maybe it's reminding me to shift?) the Cat runs excellently.
    My apologies for the gender mistake.

Yeah, I suppose 5K shouldn't be a big deal for the Cat. It's got a top speed of 137 mph too, but there's really no reason to push it that far. 5K at 5th gear. Hmmmm, 3K at 5th gear is about 70 mph. 5K at 5th gear should be well in excess of 100 mph. You gals in Ottawa sure drive pretty fast.

I probably baby my Cat more than I have to since she's still fairly new.
    Dasaint1:
    The sports package Cat will do 140mph stock. I tested it out one night, although I don't recommend anyone following my brilliant idea.
  • camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    I just said 5K in fifth was not "hard" I didn't say it was safe. Actually Stageleft when you talked about driving often at 5K I had visions of you cruising along at 100km/60mph in 3rd gear. My Cat is only a week and a half old so I must admit I don't go much beyond 120kmph which is about 75mph. I do however often hit 5k rpm accelerating between 3rd and 4th and 4th and fifth. I don't think I would try it in 2nd and certainly not in 1st, not enough range. I still believe the faster you get out of 1st the farther ahead you'll be. And frankly the lack of red line on the tach makes me leery of pushing it too much.

p.s. The nice thing about our Canadian metric system is I can actually say I drive 120 on a regular basis and my Cat has a speedometer that goes to 250. Cool huh!
    Camelard:
    So what your saying is that if you and I race from 0-60mph and you shift out of first at 5,000rpm, and I shift out of first at 7,000rpm you will win the race?

I know that is a primitive example, but generally speaking I wind 1st out to the rev limiter when ever I stop light race. Shifting to early will cause the engine to bog down in second. Am I wrong or am I just not understand what you are saying?
    Is America the last country using the English measurements? It seems like everyone else is on metric. Since when did Canada go metric?

Sounds like we're gonna need a drag racing contest between Badulah and Camelard to settle their dispute.

In the south corner, we have Badulah, with his slightly modified '99 Cat, who promises to rev his car all the way to 7,000 rpm or bust in first gear (whichever comes first). In the north corner, we have Camelard, the pride of Ottawa, in her spanking new '00 Cat who promises to shift at 5,000 rpm in 1st gear.

Place your bets, folks!!! I got a $20 spot (that's American dollars) on the Canadian gal. [Sorry, Badulah, I think you'll bust your engine before you get to second.]