Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Selling Process - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2018 in Tesla

imageSelling Process - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

We took our 2016 Tesla Model X to CarMax. We weren't happy with the offer and tried selling it ourselves on eBay. Here's how it turned out.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I'm not surprised at Carmax as clearly those aren't the type of vehicles they want to deal in + support with Warranty, etc. I AM a bit surprised that Tesla didn't want it as they don't show ANY Model Xes in their Inventory and only a handful of S models. I guess they aren't interested in doing it. I'd think they could generate a whole boatload of cash by "certifying" and reselling.

That being said, a 38% depreciation loss by doing little more than posting an eBay listing and dealing with the winning bidder is not bad, especially how Tesla's hardware is continually changing and AP2 seems to be far more powerful and more future-proof.
  • Options
    jjlawyerjjlawyer Member Posts: 17
    More like 33% depreciation if you consider the $10,000 in incentives there apply to the vehicle if you can get them.
  • Options
    5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    I don’t think this car makes sense for $150K, but I’ll be tempted to have one as a second car in a few years if the used prices keep dropping like that!
  • Options
    DLuDLu Member Posts: 94
    Seems like the Model X was an amazing first-try effort, but overall not a vehicle for the faint-of-heart.
  • Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    "Remember when Tesla was so proud of its resale value that it would guarantee "that the resale value will be higher than that of BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus or Jaguar"? Those days are long gone."

Did anyone think this was going to last?
  • Options
    eddied_1964eddied_1964 Member Posts: 1
    Would you please email me some information, as you have experience in this, the total values and the types of Gov’t subsidies, rebates and any other form of tax or monetary incentives I would receive on the $144k sale price of a vehicle similar to the one you purchased? I need this as a baseline for making a purchase of a Tesla as it is the Main vehicle I am considering to purchase within the next few Months? Also, does it make better sense to purchase an end of year model as opposed to a brand new edition as my experience with purchasing a new vehicle over the years is that the mfg and/or the dealership gives more incentives on left over models than on the New models? Thank You for any help I can receive from you! Also, if anyone out in Edmonds land has any experience buying a Tesla, used or new it may be helpful if you aided my search so to that extent my work email is rtgepd1@yahoo.com. Thank you all very much...EddiedD