Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Modifying my car

familycarsfamilycars Member Posts: 2
edited January 2018 in Honda
I just bought a Honda Accord Sport 2014, for about 15K. It runs 190 hp and weighs around 3.3k lbs. I would love to throw in some more power and noise. After driving my unc's 350z, weaker cars are starting to repulse me. Any idea for upgrades that I should move towards? I've seen phrases like "cold air intake" and "cams" thrown around but I really have no idea. Is it a bad idea to try and mod a stock family car? Will it also just kill the value?
Tagged:

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

I just bought a Honda Accord Sport 2014, for about 15K. It runs 190 hp and weighs around 3.3k lbs. I would love to throw in some more power and noise. After driving my unc's 350z, weaker cars are starting to repulse me. Any idea for upgrades that I should move towards? I've seen phrases like "cold air intake" and "cams" thrown around but I really have no idea. Is it a bad idea to try and mod a stock family car? Will it also just kill the value?

It's a naturally aspirated 4-cylinder. There is virtually nothing you can do to make this car faster, short of spending $4000-$5000.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• familycarsfamilycars Member Posts: 2
    kyfdx said:

It's a naturally aspirated 4-cylinder. There is virtually nothing you can do to make this car faster, short of spending $4000-$5000.
    thanks man, i'm gonna go cry in my room now
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You could squeeze a few more HP and spends hundreds doing that, and even then I doubt you'd notice it on your butt-meter. If you want any serious power out of it, you'd have to slap on a turbo, do an engine swap, or build a race engine.

Noise is cheaper, and in a way, is somewhat satisfying.

Your engine is like a Big Tube. If you open one end (cold air intake, etc) or the back end (cat back exhaust, etc) you still haven't dealt with the middle--the guts of the engine itself.