Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Maint required or dealer scam?

tgindy99tgindy99 Member Posts: 1
edited February 2018 in Honda
Hi,

I have my Pilot serviced by the selling dealer. I always get the mini service, oil/tire rotation/check up. The last check at 37k miles, the service rep told me my vehicle needed 4 wheel tire balance, 4 wheel alignment, dif oil change, & the throttle body serviced. All for only about $1K!!! The maintenance manual and maintenance minder don’t mention any these services at 37k. Is this just dealer up sell scam or typical maintenance? This is my first pilot, so I don’t have previous experience with this vehicle or dealer

Thanks

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,072
    tgindy99 said:

Hi,

I have my Pilot serviced by the selling dealer. I always get the mini service, oil/tire rotation/check up. The last check at 37k miles, the service rep told me my vehicle needed 4 wheel tire balance, 4 wheel alignment, dif oil change, & the throttle body serviced. All for only about $1K!!! The maintenance manual and maintenance minder don’t mention any these services at 37k. Is this just dealer up sell scam or typical maintenance? This is my first pilot, so I don’t have previous experience with this vehicle or dealer

Thanks

I would stick to the services in the manual, in general.

That said, you can likely get the tire balance and alignment done at a reputable tire shop.

I had the diff fluid changed in my wife's Outback at about 15K, per recommendations from other Subaru owners whose opinions I trust.

You can also shop around at other Honda dealers to see what they quote for those services. Like anything, prices are negotiable.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    tgindy99 said:

Hi,

Thanks

Tire balance and alignment are only needed if an issue can be demonstrated while driving, or shown through abnormal tire wear.

Throttle body service? The most oversold maintenance product.

Differential fluid change? Refer to your owners's manual.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'd call the entire list they gave you as completely unnecessary. Just go by your owner's manual. If there are exceptions to the factory schedule for "severe service", they'll have an asterisk to alert you to that. Service writers at dealerships don't have the technical training to veto the factory owner's manual.