Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cougar Support Group - Bigger & Better

Comments

• jayhawk5jayhawk5 Member Posts: 70
    Tell us about your car! Is it a 2000 or 2001, what features does it have, etc... Congratulations!!
  • badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    frizzb3
    WELCOME TO THE CSG!!! Congrats on your new purchase!! I hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy ours. Please keep us updated about your ownership experience. Also, be sure to check out the CSG's web site at:
    http://home.att.net/~cougarsupportgroup
    I'm sure you will find the members of this group as well as the web site very useful. All the members of the CSG are GREAT people who are always willing to lend a hand to other Cougar Owners.

Rob
    AKA "Badulah"
    CSG Caretaker
  • coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    Hi Jayhawk

I'm happy to hear that we've got a one-year-only color! Now everyone who sees us coming can say "That's a 2000 Cougar."

Went out with someone new yesterday. He was highly impressed with the kitty :) Obviously a man of good taste.
    cool- you want to stay away from those horsepower junkies! The 2001 cougar is coming out with a 'French Blue', but I haven't seen how close it is to our Sapphire blue. Happy Cougaring!
  • shengzshengz Member Posts: 4
    I'm palning to buy a 2000 cougar. The two colors I want are spuce green and sappire blue. But my dealer can only find one blue car with MTX which is 400 miles away from my place.(Bellevue WA). I also know Mercury delete those two colors for 2001 model. And I can't wait until the end of Sept. to get a 2001 model. My dealer still knows nothing about the 2001 model. No brochue, no color sample. So maybe I have to go with a 2000 black one.
    gustafsc:
    We are working on getting a CSG Pictures Topic. As soon as we have all the info, we will have it created. Thanks for the great idea!!

- Badulah & Lefty
    Um Hello?

Where the heck is everyone?

What's the deal?
    Hey- I'm still here, lurking in the shadows of the CSG. I think you scared everone away with your 'description' of where badulah came from. Looking forward to my 2 week vacation to Colorado coming up this Sunday! All work and no play make something something something something......
  • krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    I'm supposed to get my LP pictures back on Friday. I'll scan the good ones and try to email them to you.

A.
  • frizzb3frizzb3 Member Posts: 3
    I'm so happy to hear that saphire blue is a limited color (I love stuff like that) and I guess I was lucky there was one on the lot that had the features I wanted - sports, convenience, leather, etc. The buying experience went pretty smooth, but they charged me $350 as a service charge to file my tag.....but omitted to tell me about this fee until we were at the eleventh hour. I almost decided to go with carsdirect.com, but the finance guy said their dealer would also charge this...it's pretty standard. Oh well, I'm still ecstatic!
  • jjmorrisjjmorris Member Posts: 13
    I'm glad you got what you wanted, but that $350 charge is outrageous. The highest I have ever seen a dealer charge it here (Tucson) is $129, and even then I've always considered it negotiable. I always make sure that the offer sheet I sign for the salesman to take to "the manager for approval" states that the agreed upon price includes everything except tax and registration (the money that goes to the govenrnment).
    OK, so I go out to wash my car this evening and notice brown tree crap several places on my car. What's the best way of getting rid of this stuff without scratching my paint job? It won't come off with a regular sponge and soap job. Oh, and of course as soon as I finish drying off my car a really bad thunderstorm moves in. Oh well..
  • jimbo_gjimbo_g Member Posts: 53
    Try ammonia.... it works well to remove bugs and other such "crap" put some in a spray bottle and let it sit for like 20-30 seconds and then wash the area with a soapy sponge....

Jimbo_G
  • jimbo_gjimbo_g Member Posts: 53
    First I apologize to our topic leaders Lefty, & 'Dulah as this is way off topic, but i have to share this sad story. At work today one of our service managers wrecked a customer's car. Not just any customer either and not just any car. The car belonged to Tony "Luke" Jr., one of Philadelphia's cheese steak Kings. (read: very "connected" man) and the car is/was a 2000 silver Plymouth Prowler.

The car was in for a minor repair and will be leaving needing MAJOR repair. It was in for a valve stem replacement. Mr. Luke put chrome "bullet" type valve extensions on the car and curbed one and sheared the stem off completely. The car has run flat 20" tires and the low tire pressure sensor is built into each valve stem (a $200 part) Anyhoo, the work was completed the car parked outside.

Mr. Luke was notified that his vehicle was ready to be picked up and he asked that the Prowler be parked inside overnight so that he could pick it up the following day. Easy enough, right??

You would think so, anyway. Well our service manager proceeds to pull the car into the shop to park it in one of the mechanics' service bays. He pulls the car into the bay and stops the front tires just before the bump on the floor for the hydraulic lines to the lift. He now has to give the car a little gas to get the front whhels over the bump. Well somehow (i don't know how) the car gets floored, the car revs wildly, smoking the rear 20" tires and launching itself into the mechanics $8000 tool box which was against the wall at the front of the service bay. The car impacted with enough force to blow both airbags, damage the entire front fascia and grill... and shear off one of the bumpers which are joined to the aluminum frame with a very thick boxed aluminum sub-frame. My estimation was that it was at least a 40-45mph impact. I was in the rear of the service department detailing a PT Cruiser while all of this happened. Let me tell you, I still cannot believe I saw what i saw.. The service mgr escaped basically uninjured just a few scrapes and burns from the airbag. The car looks like hell, and the toolbox is trashed.... No one got hurt, though so that's what matters.

Cry a tear for the wounded Prowler,

Jimbo_G
    Thanks for the advice- I'll try that tomorrow! Wow- that's an incredible story. I'm glad the guy in the Prowler wasn't hurt at all. When you say ammonia could I use Windex? Would that ruin the finish, or do I need to go buy some pure ammonia somewhere? Thanks for the help.
  • fastback2fastback2 Member Posts: 55
    Another way to help make tree sap easier to take off would be to put several coats of wax on the top of the car. In doing this, the tree crap is less likely to adhere directly to the surface of the car and will be easier to remove(Meguiar's quick detailer is good for this). Also, I would be careful about applying ammonia directly on your cougar (especially when the surface of the car is warm) as it could erode the clearcoat and cause fading of the paint.
    Jimbo:
    I'm glad no one was hurt, and i'm also glad i'm not that guy!! So is this cheese steak king as connected as Abe Froman sausage king of the mid west?
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    A bunch of years back, a guy at Ward's did something similar when I was getting a new battery.

He wanted to move the car (which was turned off and in first gear to prevent rolling). Hit the ignition key without stepping on the clutch, the car started, and jumped into the stall ahead, which just hapened to be occupied by another car (no clutch/ignition interlock switch in those days).

Minor damage to my Toyota, a good ding in the other guy's rear bumper, and a near miss for the service manager who was reading the battery type under my good. If the hood hadn't been the the now common brace type, he would have been like a mouse in a trap had it come down.

Rob: Not really my idea about a picture section, just being a copycat (Copycougar?)

Skip G.
    Two days ago I was driving through the mall parking lot when I came upon a parked Cougar that had "LE" tags on the front quarter panels over the side turn signal lights. It also had the same tag on the back of the car. I got out and looked at it, but with the exception of the pinstripe down the side, I couldn't find any difference. I assume this was either some dealer after-market package, or the owner decided to "create" a new model in the Cougar line up. Anyone else seen anything like this?
  • malibumalibu Member Posts: 155
    mine has the badging above the signals, but not on back and it says Special Edition not Limited Edition.
    It had no effects or any other kind of modification, other than the pinstripe. Weird...
    Maybe he got the badging through wings west or someother aftermarket company and just put that on. Although I was told the badging was only available when you ordered the special edition through the dealer. Nothing is impossible though.

Had a squeek comming from my steering column, somewhere around the emergency flasher button, took it to the dealer and they ordered a whole new cover for the steering column. Had a very small cut in the fabric on the driver seat, they ordered a whole new seat bottom. They have been great, maybe a little overkill but at least so far everythings getting fixed with no arguments. I'm letting my son take his drivers license test in her next week, I'm more nervous than he is!
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Make sure the new seat they put in your car matches the rest of the interior. I had my seat back replaced and the new one that came in looked totally different than the original. Just FYI.
    Did they not notice or what? I hope these guys are smart enough to notice something like that.
    Funny story...When I took my car in to have the oil changed they took the steering column off, they scratched it up and I was unaware they ordered a replacement,I got home and saw the scratches and instantly got pissed. The next morning on my way to work I stopped by the service dept. and chewed the service mngr out...he then explained that the part was ordered. He appologized for not letting me know ahead of time. That evening I got to my husbands softball team and who should be the new guy on his team but the service mngr. I yelled at that morning! I felt sooo bad, but learned that in a small town you never know who you'll bump into. I said hi and he laughed, he said when he saw the name on the team roster he went oh no..not that lady with the black cougar. My husband told him I was an obsessive cougar owner and please try to keep me happy!
    No, they obviously did not notice. They told me later that the vendor that supplies Ford with the seat covers for thr '99 Cougars did not make that particuliar cover anymore. I was shocked. I asked the Service Manager what would be done in the future when Cougars got a little older and customers needed the seats cover replaced. They basically said the customers would be SOL...?????

Anyway, I take my Cat in next Tues for the 15,000 service. I also am having them look into some rattles in the hatch and dash. This weekend I get to take the Cat on a little road trip(200 miles). It will be nice to get her out and stretch her legs a little.
  • frizzb3frizzb3 Member Posts: 3
    I'm in Naples, FL and it seems as if everything here is more expensive. But I definitely learned my lesson. Thanks for the valuable advice!
    HEY I have family in Naples!!
    I seriously hope this place picks up next week. I miss everyone!!!

Have a GREAT weekend all!!
  • krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    Badulah:

Is Abe Froman a real person or the fictitious 'Sausage King of Chicago' from Ferris Bueler's Day Off?
  • fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    Ok one whole day without a post, this is sick whats wrong, its raining all over the east so I know your not out driving! hehe
    Umm so Hello Out there!
    Hello out there......(echo)
  • barhenderbarhender Member Posts: 12
    to my Cat, happy birthday to my Cat, happy birthday, happy birthdayyyyyyyyyy, happy birthday to my Cat...she's one year ooooooollllllllddddddd.
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    It's clear and sunny in Northern California but my car ain't moved from the garage in 2 days (actually it moved from the garage to the driveway so I could wash it). My weekend travel has been on foot and by bicycle. The kitty fights traffic tomorrow.
    Saturday I woke up around 11:00am and I started working on the Cat within 10 minutes. I detailed her for a total of 5 hours, and I fixed a grounding problem I had with one of the amps. I also determined that one of the RCA leads has a short and will have to be replaced next weekend.

After my detailing job the Cat looked sooooo good that I just had to take her out for a drive. We went touring up a few interstates for a bit and then I cruised through one of the trendy towns in the area. I didn't want to stop driving, but by this time it was getting late, so I called it a night.

Sunday morning I got up for work and the first thing I noticed as I was walking out to her was that an early morning bird crapped all over her!!!! Then to make things worse, an hour and a half later it started to rain.

God has a sense of humor, that's for sure.
    Speaking of washing cars...I found the neatest little gadget for cleaning between the rims, it's a bottle/glass Mop-not a brush but a cotton mop thats just a little smaller than the palm of your hand. I got it at Orchard Supply Hardware for @3.00. It works awesome! and very very soft. Just thought I would share.

Badulah..Sorry to hear about the bird and the rain I know how fustrating that could be. Black is definately alot of work...but well worth it!
    I'm going to declare my driveway a "no fly zone" when I get home from work. Damn birds!!
    I know how everyone has different opinions about car covers, but you might want to consider one. I got mine through the dealer (100.) and it is very easy to put on, lightweight and I haven't had any of the problems people talk about...scratches or anything. I know it won't help with the rain, but at least the bird poop wouldn't be on your car. The cover is also machine washable, I washed mine yesterday. Just a thought.
  • benisembenisem Member Posts: 30
    Hello All!

Any idea were i can find info on aftermarket sunroofs. I thought there were some postings hered, but I am not sure I am remembering correctly. I have a white kitten and considering an aftermarket sunroof. Care to give some feedback?

Thanks!!
  • fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    hehe, i had the post-wash fly-by pooping the other week too.
    only about an hour after I finished up, I went back outside
    to find a 8 x 6inch (no i didn't measure) spread of white bird
    poo, it looked like 5 or six birds lined up for this one...
    I didn't know I parked under the toilet branch
    I have a car cover, it's just a real pain when its raining out. Since it has been raining off and on here for the past two weeks, I havn't been using it very much.

In my opinion an after-market sunroof will not look so hot on a white Kitty. Reason being, the after-market roofs generally have a 1" raised seal which is usually black and will stick out on an otherwise white car. Just my $0.02
    Anyone else care to share about this?
    12Ga.

Works every time ; )

Skip G
    Since Joe and I are about to relocate the web page, we would like to know what all of you would like to see on the new page? Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone?....... Anyone?
  • ptailorptailor Member Posts: 42
    The 1" black seal shouldn't be that bad if the sunroof glass is tinted black also. I've got the Hollandia Emerald S on my black cougar. The sunroof has a limo tint glass, integrated popup wind shield, and vented shade.

...Pritesh
    I want to see a sapphire blue kitty with the 16" wheels!

But that's just a personal preference :)
    Just saw a preliminary article on the new Dodge Stratus 2dr Coupe. (C&D)

3000lb, 200hp, 3l, 6cy, MTX. 0-60/7.3sec (est)

Unless you push the Cougar S, and build more than 5K units, I see a lot of business going Dodge's way!!!

I think that the Cougar looks beter, and has more convenience w/hatchback, but if I was currently in the market, who knows what would happen.

As I said once before, you should have had the SVT engine as an option for the Cougar from the first day of design studies. Your sales would have been much higher from performance nuts and driving enthusiasts who have been dumping a lot of cash into German hands.

For the next Cougar cycle (if there is to be one), please consider providing the most bang for the buck possible.

Skip G.
    This place has been quiet the past couple of days. I hope this is not an indication of the interest and exitement in the Cougar fadeing.

I got my 15K service done yesterday and the dealer did a GREAT job. The car drives much smoother. The best part was they fixed some slight sqeaking in the dash by adding more insulation. The Cat has never felt so good.
    Has anyone else gotten the 15K service done? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you and what was done? Thanks for your help!!!!
  • sherwincsherwinc Member Posts: 4
    Although my Coug hit 22K, I had the 15K service done just last month. This is the one with the cabin air filter change, oil change, tire rotation, right? That ran me about $160. They also replaced my door weatherstripping, which was starting to unseat ('99 Cougs did not have the pin to hold it in place).
  • scratch3scratch3 Member Posts: 8
    I think part of the reason interest is fading at this site is the lack of substance in the postings. Many people would like to discuss technical aspects of the car not sift through vacuous comments about bird dung, weather or how long it takes to wash it.
    I have posted serious cougar related questions in the past that have gone completely ignored
  • spartan93spartan93 Member Posts: 16
    I have noticed since day 1 that, on occasion, I get the "your lights are on, the key is in the ignition, etc..." chime when I open the door upon exit. My lights are off. The key is in my hand. There is nothing, that I can determine, that warrants said chime. I have not been able to figure out under what circumstances this warning sound is coming on.

I have turned the car off with the parking brake set and unset, in gear and out of gear, windows and sunroof opened and closed and all combinations thereof.

I have read the manual front to back several times in search of an answer. I have discussed with the dealer. Nothing has provided any insight. Without a certain, repeatable situation, I cannot expect an answer to come from the dealer (as they have alluded to).

Is it that the alarm is armed? Some other cause? Any input is welcomed.
    scratch3:
    What were your technical questions that went unanswered? Please repost them and we will be sure to answer them.

spartan93:
    I have no idea why your hearing the chime if your lights are off and the key is pulled out. I would have that checked out.

All:
    Last night on the way home my Kitty began to buck and shake and she stalled out on me. Luckly I was able to pull off to the side of the interstate without much of a problem. I was able to restart her after a few tries, and she ran fine after that. I have never experienced anything like this before. Has anyone had this problem or one like it? I plan to take her to the dealer to get checked out ASAP.
    spartan93

I've had that chiming thing happen several times and finally figured it out.

Sometimes when you pull the key out of the ignition, the keyhole area remains pushed in, so that activates the chime. Just take you finger and push on it and it will pop back out to the starting position. Voila', problem solved.
This discussion has been closed.