Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Issues with Starter Replacement

givecarwisdomgivecarwisdom Member Posts: 2
edited February 2018 in Subaru
My 1997 Subaru Legacy died and I deduced that it is the starter. I replaced the starter but the engine still won't turn over, however after replacing the starter and moving the key to the on position the lights begin to blink and the display lights up which it was not doing before.

Does this mean that I need to somehow reset the system or replace the wiring? Tell me what you think.

Answers

• Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Did you check condition of battery before replacing starter?
  • Options
    givecarwisdomgivecarwisdom Member Posts: 2
    Yes I checked the battery.
  • Options
    cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    You say it died and determined the starter is at fault??? Sounds like you have an engine problem, not a starter problem.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Did you bench-test the starter before installing it?

One test you can do in-car is get a test light, then remove the wire on the starter solenoid that comes from the ignition switch (usually marked with an "S")--then have someone turn the key while you insert the probe onto the wire you just pulled off--it should light every time the key is turned to "crank" or "start". It won't light with the key just "on".

If you get a signal from the ignition switch then the starter or solenoid is probably no good.

You can also buy a cheap remote starter (basically two wires with a button attached) and attach one wire to your + battery cable and the other wire to the S terminal on your starter. If the starter then cranks over, you have a problem with the circuit going to your ignition switch.

Don't overlook fuses and/or loose wires.