Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan: Grinding noise on passenger side below the backside of the sliding door.

david_lemmondavid_lemmon Member Posts: 4
edited February 2018 in Dodge
I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan when I make a left (counterclockwise) turn I hear a grinding noise on the opposite (passenger or right) side. It sounds like it is coming from the center area of the vehicle, approximately from lower part of the passenger side sliding door area. I was told that it is definitely the CV axel and the sound was radiating back to the side of the car. I replace that 3 times. I was then told that it was related to my brakes. Those parts have been replaced and nothing in them is rubbing or grinding. They have been inspected multiple times as the culprit. I was then told that it was the bushings in the rear springs causing the problem since the part of the leaf springs connects to the frame in the area of the sound. I had those replaced. I had the sliding door bolts inspected to see it they needed tightening. The bolts to the hinge of the rear windows needed tightening and that eliminated some rattling but not the grinding. I seriously doubt that any part of the engine area could cause this grinding since it is so isolated to just below the rear side of the passenger side sliding door.(Confirmed by passengers sitting there) This does not happen when the brakes are applied. It seems to happen when accelerating and turning left. We noticed it first when the van was only about 5 years old going up steep mountain winding roads in Yosemite. Back then to be able to hear the grinding the van had to be fully loaded with passengers and accelerating, going up a hill while turning left. Now to hear it All I have to do is turn slightly left on a flat road and alone, not even accelerating much. The van has been driven with both the passenger side sliding door open and the passenger side front door open. The grinding sound did not go away or move. So I know that it is not a door latch. The van has never been in an accident. I have been trying to get this fixed for many years and have spent hundreds on diagnostic troubleshooting.
Help, I need some more idea of where to have mechanics look to fix this.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's hard to give suggestions remotely because we can't hear it--so can't really diagnose without knowing the "nature" of the sound. What I mean is, things like:

under what specific conditions it appears
    it is constant or intermittent
    "rotational" or just a quick one time?
    deep sound or tinny?
    any vibration felt by the driver?

Based on the little you've provided, one possibility is a broken body weld somewhere.
  • david_lemmondavid_lemmon Member Posts: 4

Q> under what specific conditions it appears
    A> Any time turning left while moving at about 5mph or higher. For example driving in a cultisac counter-clockwise causes the grinding sound.

Q> it is constant or intermittent
    A> It is very consistent when the conditions are met

Q>"rotational" or just a quick one time?
    A> I'm not sure how to answer this one

Q> deep sound or tinny?
    A>Definitely a deep sound

Q>any vibration felt by the driver?
    A>No but the middle passenger-side seat does. The vibration can especially be felt by putting my hand on the floor about 6 inches in front of the back of the passenger-side door, and between the seat and the door.

A broken body weld is not something that has been check for. I have that looked for. Thank you.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    How about a tire rubbing? Is the tire size correct?

By "rotational" I mean a rhythmic sound, as with a tire going around.
    Unfortunately no tire rubbing. That was checked on this morning. The tires are factory size.
    edited February 2018
    Honestly it sounds like a bad CV-axle when turning left, only the sound is coming from the floor next to the back side of the passenger side sliding door.
  • smittytedsmittyted Member Posts: 1
    So, I think I have the solution, as I had the same noise. I am curious if your catalytic converter has been changed. I did mine at about 200K miles. Anyway, the exhaust header runs to the passenger side of the vehicl, and there is a sharp elbow near the door post between the passenger side door and sliding door. Once the header is warm, it will be pressed against the weld seam on the outside of the exhaust header. Grab that weld with a sturdy pair of pliers and bend it out away from the exhaust header until you have some clearance. I would bet money the noise goes away. The minor difference in the cat dimensions and header pipe I believe are the cause because of the tight clearance as designed. Thermal expansion can be very impactful. This info is late, I know, but hopefully helpful.