Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

Comments

• aussyaussy Member Posts: 20
    lately we have been seeing a lot of people dumping their cougars and buying other cars.....my friends....last Nov i bought a 2002 cougar XR fully loaded. got a great deal from showcase auto plaza here in modesto. my new cougar now has 5K on it....has had the oil changed once and i love it.....i commute a lot here in CA but i have had it in the hills...it handles like a dream.....i think this car is better then the camaro a buddy of mines has......every feature the car has from the defrost system to the brakes to the powered seat works perfectly..........i have not had any of the rattles, whirrs or problems others have described....my brakes don't grind or squeal, the interior comfort system is awesome and the seats are the most comfortable i have ever sat in...the lumbar support has even eased some back problems i have.....i even get 23.5 mpg and that's considering i have a lead foot....i love this car and can not ever see parting with it until my cats dead.......
  • advocatusadvocatus Member Posts: 45
    Congrats Coolchick on your anniversary! You're right you don't get around much in that vehicle. I got my 2001 cougar in May 2001 and I already have 20,000 miles on it. Driving from Philadelphia to near Pittsburgh will do that to a car.

Aussy! Congrats on your purchase! Glad to see there are some people who are still brave enough to buy a new cougar.

burnsmr4! Good luck with your car and your family. You will be missed on the boards... even in my short time as a member.. I can tell.
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Burnsmr4: You've given that college kid an unfair advantage in hunting co-eds ;-) Good luck in the future with your new ride, and fill up that back seat with little #4's.

Coolchick: I guess we're about the same in total mileage/yr. Just passed 3 yr in Dec, and am about to hit 30K. That includes a couple of long range vacations plus my daily commute. Guess I just don't run around all night living the wild life like some of the younger folk here do. Except for my big accident and the steering shimmy that developed over time, the Cougar hasn't been a bad car and has been dead reliable through three Chicago winters. Still fun to drive, gets the occasional admiring looks and comments, and the cargo capability is still tops in it's class.

Aussie: Welcome aboard. Hope you have a long happy relationship with your cat. I guess when they finally get to building them right, they end production.

Skip G.
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    Welcome abourd Aussy.

Glad to hear of your purchase and that you haven't had any problems. I haven't had any problems with my 2001 C2, so I'm assuming most of the problems are just related to the first 2 years of the Cougar and that Mercury worked out the kinks by the time my 2001 and you 2002 were produced.

I still love my car and still get tons of comments on it. Everyone loves is and people always want to know what it is.

Oh, I got mine in July 2001 and have 8,432 miles on it as of this morning.

David
  • cnollkampercnollkamper Member Posts: 43
    As a refresher..I have a 2001 Black on Black C2 ATX..zero reliability problems. It now has 7400 miles, and the Auto trnsmission that I loathed when it was new, has taken on a new personality..a MUCH more aggreeable one at that. (for those who are not aware, the transmission was not smooth shifting, and never selected the right gear for the occasion) Now its nearly perfect all the time, its always in third or second gear when I need it, and the upshift is far smoother than before. The only other ongoing annoyance is **minor** squeak/rattles from the pillar behind my ahead somewhere around the seatbelt. anyone have the same? I have to say that I only get to hear the noises on half the roads I drive on, which are post 1995 Northridge earthquake Socal roads (if nobody gets this, that means REALLY BAD!). Thats it. I am very proud of my Cat, and I await the return.
    Peace to all.
  • dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    Later, enjoy your Subaru, I know they are great cars!
  • luisfigo1luisfigo1 Member Posts: 1
    A guy who works at a military car sales office told me that Mercury is getting rid of the Cougar. Is this true?
    They are temporarily doing away with it. It is reportedly coming back in 2005 on a plaform shared with the new Mustang and will be rear wheel drive.
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    [Waits for CSG regulars to stop laughing and pull themselves up off the floor.]

Yep. Brand new Subaru. Purchased 8 days ago. And I'm driving a rental car -- a Ford Focus SE.

I would buy the one car on the lot that has a rare fuel system issue that prevents me from filling up the tank. Apparently my vehicle came with the "One-Time Use" option -- for $700 or so. It's in the shop now getting a lovely fuel system inspection.

Personally, I think the goofs at the Mercury dealership across the street saw me in the Subaru lot and sabotaged my car. Yeah. That's the answer. Sabotage.

[Runs away giggling in a nervous, devious, sort of schizophrenic sort of way.]

Your transportation-cursed companion,
    burnsmr4
  • fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    You know its been awhile since I've posted so here I am in Times Square... in my hotel room But seriously my 99 (built mar 99) has been great a few glitches but nothing major, most stuff just me being anal... and using a warranty, that I paid for, to its fullest. Well thats all for me.

I won't laugh at you Burns.. All cars will have their problems... American vs Imports. New vs Used. I'm just glad my lil green cougar is still being a good kitty... despite my neglect during the winter months...(my minivan gets all the attention in the winter)

Speaking of Minivans....
    I forget who made the comment, but its got nothing to do with children..My Astro, was bought instead of a Pick'up truck. has the same utitity(to me) as a hick-up truk and it has more utility than most "sport utes" and I can seat 8. And to top it off, its a HO version which puts outt 170hp, w 4.10 gears... heh might even give my cougar a run for its money, but I doubt it...
    cheers.
    E
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    Well, I've got both and they're both good. My Cougar has apparently gotten over its clutch interlock problems and I've gotten over having the car die on me because of it. My wife's Plymouth Voyager is a really great device. It's comfortable, quiet, and has great audio. Best car I've ever driven for long distances and you can put small trees in it besides. Downsides are poor cornering and total absence of cachet.

It's too bad the Cougar's gone; it's worse that Ford never gave it a chance. With any visible marketing presence and some attention to the car's rough edges, they could have had a success. Instead, it's all down the drain and the Cougar name (really one of the great car names) may appear someday on a T-Bird with special ugly styling like they used to do.
    ...and sell it to a teenager on his/her way to college. I sold my car two weeks ago, and when I met the father of the kid to hand over the title, he said his boy was already planning for mods of all sorts. I'm glad that the car that troubled me (or did I trouble it?) has gone to a good home.

Y'all have a nice and safe weekend. Happy Cougaring...or Subaru-ing!

:-)

burnsmr4
    Man,

It is really sad to see how dead this board has become. I remember when this was one of the most popular boards on Edmunds, heck...the Cougar Support Group was the first Owner's Club!

Now, people are dissapearing...just like the New Edge Cougar will. People are getting rid of their Cougars, and unlike people in other groups who talk about buying the new updated versions of their cars, I have never heard anyone say they are going to trade in their old Cougar for a new one.

OK, people used to talk about buying the Cougar S, and then the project got canned.

Well anyway, I was just reflecting...I still own my Cougar, and I plan on keeping it for a few years after it is paid for, it is the only way I can get my money's worth out of it.

Even when I do buy a new car I will probably keep it. I don't think I would get enough on a trade in. Plus, it is and will always be a very good looking car if I maintain it properly.

gotta go,

Peace!
    Amen brother dgemini!!!

Even the NECO discussion groups have slowed down from thier heyday.

Sad, but a fact, all products have a lifecycle, and the New Edge Cougar is reaching the end of it's.

Like you, I'll probably keep my cat for a few more years. It's been paid for for quite a while now, and I usually don't trade and buy new just for the fun of it. 7-9 years is my usual cycle time as I'm a relatively low mileage driver (10-12Kmi/yr). As long as the car is running well, hasn't pissed me off or been destroyed, why dump it?

In another 3 years, I'll probably be here talking to myself (but then I do that most of the time anyhow).

Skip G
    I'm still here and plan on being for a long while. I also plan on hanging onto my Cougar till the wheels fall off.

I admit I'm more active on the NECO & CEG forums and NECO listserv than on here though.

I bet a good number of people on NECO will keep their cars for a good long while.

David
    Well, of course we slowed down. Ford completely stopped for us. My '99 Cougar is going to be my car for several more years, but there's no news, no hot mods, no reason to have a dialogue with other owners.

I'll probably get a new bicycle before I trade the cat. Unless I get a Harley V-rod...
  • krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    Although I very rarely post anymore, I do check in several times per week to read the latest posts. I believe that I have read every single post since the CSG was founded in 1998. Keeping up used to be a formidable task.

I still have my '99 Silver Cougar and it has been running great lately. I may consider trading it for something with more doors when my first child arrives this coming summer. Until then, I'm still enjoying the spirited driving experience that the new edge Cougar provides.

Cheers,

Krnch.
    Yesterday in the mail, I received a survey postcard from Mercury stating that the Cougar was discontinued but they were, of course, providing full support to the customers that have one (DUH)

After that, they ask me to fill in a box as to which of the other Mercury products I'd be interested in down the pipe. Sable, Grand Marquis, SUV, van, etc...

Lets think about this for a second. If it hadn't been for the compact sport coupe with good handling, reasonable power, neat styling, hatchback, etc..., I'd never have even stepped into a Mercury dealership. They sold absolutely nothing that I wanted!!!

If they think that I'm a Mercury loyalist, they're dumber than evidenced by thier past marketing moves (no Cougar S, Killing the Cougar while VW intro's an up engined bug).

Now, if they introduce a new sport coupe' in the future without handicapping it against the competition re: power, handling, styling, they might have a chance. I say again, MIGHT have a chance!

End rant.

Krnch:

Keep the Cougar!! Think of all the strength and flexibility training you get for free inserting and extracating a little one from those deep wells in the back. ;-)

Skip G.
    What a response!

I see I must have struck a chord!

Like I said, the Cougar will always be a good looking car. I just hope it lasts over 100,000 miles.

As soon as I get back from Korea I am going to have to fix up my Cougar. It has taken a little abuse from my soon to be ex wife.

Unfortunately, my marriage has become another victim of Korea. Those of you familiar with the military have heard of how those year long separations can destroy a marriage. (Not to mention the problems that existed before you left that are just magnified by a factor 10 while you are apart!)

I guess I will have to get back to the states and use getting my Cougar fixed up AND souping it up a little more to keep my mind busy while I recover from the break-up.

I plan on getting some new dual exhaust tips (the one's right now are all rusted since they weren't polished, and I need to clean my KKM intake.

I probably need to get a 60,000 mile service too. Then, it also needs some bodywork. I will prabably get a full paint job if I can get one for a good price. I don't intend on driving a messed up car when I am still paying for it.

I may also invest in a hopped up chip too. I probably won't do much more after that. I need for this car to last over a 100,000 miles!

Take care everybody!
  • mouse409mouse409 Member Posts: 34
    I have never posted much, but do check the board everyday. As some of you know I put the Cougar up every Winter, a '99 with 15,000 mi on it. I have got a new winter rat... a 2001 Subaru Outback. As we have had a real mild winter we are looking at getting the Cougar out early.
    I miss all the post's, but I guess I can blame Jac for that. Was also looking forward to this years trip, (and the rain that has to happen)
    I plan to have our Cougar for at least 10 years or more, so I guess I have another orphan. We have had, and still have two, about 4 or 5 of them.
    Dgemini... as a ex navy man you have my prayers to help you get along OK. Best of luck to you
  • camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    Sadly, I have joined the ranks of the 'former Cougar owners'. In my case it was the fear factor that chased me away. My dear Kitty, with all of 20K km suffered yet another minor electrical problem. This time unfortunately, the minor electrical problem resulted in the engine bursting into flames while I was driving on the Queensway at 120 clicks per/hr (Krnch will know what I am referring to). Despite the dealers assurance that the car could be fixed and would be "just like new " I decided not to take the chance and refused to take the car back.

I am now driving a 2002 Focus ZX3 which, although can't be compared to the Cougar, has a much, much, much better reliability rating. I still feel a little like I am loosing a friend (many actually) but safety has to come first.

Krnch:

CONGRATULATIONS

Dgemini:

Not sure what to say. Very sorry to hear about your marital problems but these things do have away of working out for the best. Not very consoling I know (sounds a bit like motherly advice) but my best wishes are with you.
    back in Nov I bought the '02 cougar XR....now that they are being discontinued...does this mean the XR could become a collectable??
    Your response sounds pretty reasonable to me. I don't think I could trust a car that bursts into flames for no particular reason. I nearly got rid of mine for not starting on two occasions; if it caught on fire I'd let it burn.
    I sent Mercury back a letter letting them know the only reason I bought a Mercury was because of the Cougar and that another sporty car similar to it would probably be the only reason for me to consider Mercury in the future as well. I know it won't do any good, but it felt good anyway. :)

I plan to keep my Cougar until it falls into a pile of unrecognizable pieces and if maintained properly then that means FOREVER! :)
    lmigliore -- that was absolutely the funniest thing I've ever heard! "I'd let it burn!" LOL!

burnsmr4
    I believe Darryl Strawberry said the same thing about Los Angeles.
  • camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    Believe me it was tempting!
    Mouse409:

Thanks for the prayers...I need them. Funny, since this whole thing occurred I have been going back to church and reading my bible more.

I realize that if I am ever going to get straight to ensure something like this doesn't happen again I need to get right with God.

Camelard:

I hope it does work itself out (I just put the divorce papers in the mail today) If she wants me back I will go back, if she doesn't? I will survive...recover...and meet some other beautiful women who believes I am worth hanging in there for.

Sorry about your kitty going up in flames...I hope mine hangs in there. If I were still a family man (I married instant family, when I married my wife I had 4 kids, and 2 grandkid...I know...don't say anything) I wold have considered a Focus. I think the Focus is quite attractive, even the wagon. My soon to be ex test drove one and I really liked the size of interior and the handling.
  • coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    I've been lax about checking in here for a few weeks. Work was so busy for a while that I was putting in 15 hours a day for about 25 days straight. Dang! That's no way to exist.

My kitty, God bless her little metal soul, is still running great. 20145 miles on her now.

Took my bf out for a spin today. First time he's spent any time in the cat -- he always drives & we ride in one of his fastmobiles. He was very impressed with the interior styling (has always admired exterior design). Unfortunately, everyone else was playing hooky today, too, so the roads were too crowded to play much.

Hey, Bad-man, are you visiting my area? I passed a black kitty with Joizey plates on it about 5:30 this afternoon.
    Thanks for the congrats, Camelard. Good luck with you new car.
  • jjp2jjp2 Member Posts: 10
    I'm still enjoying my 99 Cougar. Has 45,000 miles on it, and I have had no problems other than the hood release lever breaking twice. Just today, I finally bought a stereo with a cd player for it. Mine came stock with the "premium" stereo with cassette.

I drive past the Mercury dealer where I bought my car twice a day during my commute. I had driven past it for two years without ever thinking about going in there, until I saw a cougar parked out in front. Now, I look at the cars out front, and realize that they don't have any that I will ever buy.
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    Yeah, I haven't posted in a while. But I check in every now and then.

Congratulations, Krnch. It must be an exciting time for you awaiting the arrival of Krnch, Jr.

Anyway, I found something interesting about the Cougar that I didn't know before. I've been downloading some MP3s lately and finally decided to burn it onto a CD. I didn't know if the stock CD player in the Cougar would play MP3, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it did. That just gives me more motivation to download more MP3s. Looks like I'll be spending more time with Morpheus.
    Dasaint,

Thanks, we're really excited.

When you burned the MP3s to CD did your program convert them to CD format? If the stock stereo truly plays MP3s, that's pretty cool! I'll have to try it out. With my luck, it was probably added for the 2000 model year and my 99 won't play them. We'll see...

Cheers,

Andy.
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    Krnch:

No, I didn't convert it to CD format. But the stock CD is playing it.
  • blackcoug1blackcoug1 Member Posts: 15
    Hey everyone. I don't think I've posted in about 18 months, but I was incensed enough when I got my little card in the mail, you know the one that says how valuable all of us Cougar owners are and how they would looooooove to keep our business, that I called the 800 number on the card and gave the guy an ear full. And then he explained that he was just an operator and he would connect me to the complaints department. Anyway, once I got to the complaints department I gave that gentlemen an ear full too. Turns out I was the third guy he talked to THAT DAY that was ticked off about the cougar's impending extinction. Who knows, if everyone who posts here or even just reads these calls that number, Bill Ford might reconsider. I mean he must be an old softy. Never mind the 25,000 people he put out of work, have you seen the new commercials? Very touching. But I digress; I doubt that there is anything that can be done to save the cougar, but who knows, I mean Party of Five stayed on the air because its fans got motivated, and that was a terrible show. The number is 1-888-566-8888 and you ask for the complaints department. I stressed how poorly the Cougar was marketed in comparison to, say, the Mitsubishi Eclipse.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    blackcoug1:

Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy with my Cougar. But, I too got the "little card" that you received. I didn't think it was worthwhile sending it to where Mercury wanted it sent. Instead I wrote the following letter:

Brian P. Kelley, President
    Lincoln Mercury
    19 Technology Drive
    Irvine, CA 92618

Subject: Mercury Cougar

Reference: Your recent Owner Survey

Dear Mr. Kelley:

I recently received an Owner Survey form attached to a form “letter” over your signature. The letter indicated that I am “a valued Mercury Cougar owner” and confirmed “2002 marks the final year for the Cougar.”

The letter indicated, “your opinions, insights and intentions are important to us.” In view of that, I have chosen not to just return the enclosed “Help us serve you better” card, but to explain my concerns and great disappointment in the manner in which your company chose to kill off the brand, thereby causing me significant future financial loss in my investment.

First, some background. In addition to my 1999 “New Edge” Cougar, I've owned (all but three of them new) the following vehicles: '56 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman, '59 Plymouth Sport Fury, '64 MGB, '65 Dodge Dart GT, '66 MGB, '69 FIAT 124 Spyder, '72 Mazda RX3 (Wankel), '75 VW Rabbit, '80 VW Rabbit, '82 Nissan Stanza XE, '87 Toyota Corolla FX-16 GTS, '87 Toyota Celica GT, '90 Honda Accord LX, '95 Honda Accord LX, '96 Subaru Legacy GT and '97 Mercury Mystique GS. As you can see, I am not a kid and have for the past quarter century not had any interest in owning the typical Lincoln Mercury behemoth.

I chose the Cougar because it was a departure from the ordinary in styling, based on the Mondeo platform that worked well for the Mystique (my sister-in-law is still driving that one), and a good value. Sure, the Cougar is slightly underpowered, even with the V6 and 5-speed, but I am generally pleased with my purchase. I might have been a customer for the Cougar S. What I am very displeased about is the virtually total lack of advertising that I observed in the time that I have owned my vehicle. Of course, it was not a marketing success. It was invisible. YOU DIDN’T MARKET IT!

The only visible Mercury advertising dollars were spent on your bloated gas-guzzling bread and butter lines. They were not directed to the younger audience of non-graying buyers that you obviously should have been trying to sell. The Cougar was your entrée to that future potential market. You blew it.

Your letter stated, “We do hope, however, that when you begin looking for a replacement vehicle, you remember that Mercury offers several models that are designed with many of the innovative elements that attracted you to Cougar - the Mountaineer and the Sable are two such models.” Other than paint colors, I cannot think of anything further from the fact.

I plan to attend the upcoming New York International Automobile Show at the Javits Center and will be surveying choices for my next purchase. Frankly, your company’s current line holds no interest for me. In the coming months, I will be looking at the Legacy GT (if there is a turbo coming), the new Accord, RX8, 325, A4, etc.
    I hope he actually gets it. Chances are, though, neither of our complaints will be heard. I hadn't even thought about the depreciation factor, now I'm even madder than ever.
    Nice letter. I had a nice conversation with a guy a work with. I too told him about how little the Cougar was advertised.

I also mentioned that it did what it was supposed to do, it did bring younger buyers into Lincoln Mercury showrooms.

He owns and F-body Camaro that he has modded like crazy, he too feels the car was both undermarketed, AND overpriced next to the Mustang.

Anyway...gotta go.!
    Atlanta, GA - In startling news today, ex-Cougar owner burnsmr4 was married to the infamous "Christmas Pickle Chick" in Winston-Salem, NC over the St. Patrick's Day weekend.

burnsmr4 was spotted at a local country club dancing with and singing to his new bride, the "Christmas Pickle Chick."

The bride was given her knickname after she left two big jars of "Christmas pickles" in burnsmr4's then beloved 1999 Mercury Cougar V-6. The jars rolled around while in transit and consequently broke, spilling pickles and pickle juice all over the front floorboard. burnsmr4 was in therapy for weeks after the incident.

Oblivious to her husband's earlier mental trauma, the new bride was ecstatic at finally being married to the man that "understands" her infatuation with odd holiday baking.

Although no pickles were served at the wedding reception, at the groom's behest, there were still automotive shenanigans going on.

Acting on sheer stupidity, burnsmr4's groomsmen deftly painted the windows of his new 2002 Subaru Forester S with Glass Chalk. Demonstrating their academic failures as kindergarteners, the groomsmen painted outside the lines of the Subaru's window glass and proceeded to decorate body panels and trim pieces.

Idiot bridesmaids were also involved in the debacle, as Glass Chalk made its way onto pristine Yokohama tires and aluminum alloy wheels.

Said one blonde bridesmaid, "Oh...my...God! This is like, you know, painting sorority cups!"

It was sheer luck that Glass Chalk stains anything but glass and painted surfaces on a car. The red and white polka dots on the tires and trim were there to stay. No one thought to read directions/warnings beforehand.

"Jesus Christopher Columbus Ohio and his mother! What did you do to my car?!" exclaimed burnsmr4 upon seeing what the groomsmen did to his new car.

After some on-site therapy at the reception, burnsmr4 and his new bride managed to make it to Savannah, GA for a quiet, peaceful honeymoon. The couple will reside in Atlanta, far away from any of the groomsmen and bridesmaids in question.

burnsmr4 contributed to this story. ;-)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    LOL!!!!!

And congratulations to you and your bride! My best wishes for a happy future...minus pickles, Glass Chalk, and bridal party, of course. :-)

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
    Congratulations, and best wishes to your bride!!

Please love her and respect her needs as best you can (read Dr. Phil from Oprah).

Also, I am glad you still frequent the board even though you have a Subaru.

Take care
  • daexpertdaexpert Member Posts: 140
    Hello all! Don't know if you remember me but I haven't posted here in a looooooong time. Anyways, I'm still drivin the Cougar and no problems at all, it's been a good car, but then again, I only have like 22K miles on it and it's a 2000 Model. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to sell the car and probably go to the "dark side", get something like a Civic SI, an Integra, or a 200 Celica GT. I'm looking for a used car because I want to lower my monthly payments as much as possible and still have some performance to play around with. Hope your Cougar is treating you great as well, just wanted to stop by and say hey!
    I don't think I can stand to read Dr. Phil (pudgy Oprah groupie). ;-)

However, I will love and respect her as long as she keeps Christmas pickles out of the Subaru, and even then, I'll go easy on her. ;-)

Hope you all are doing well!

Regards,
    burnsmr4

P.S. - Does Badulah EVER come here anymore? StageLeft?
    Congratulations!
    I would have posted this sooner, but when I got to "Said one blonde bridesmaid, "Oh...my...God! This is like, you know, painting sorority cups!" I ended up doing a full on spit take with a mouth full of pepsi. So now I have a new keyboard. I think your (lack of) luck is being spread through cyberspace.
    Congrats.
    Chris
    Congrats on the niptuals and making an honest woman out of the pickle lady.

As for your tire problem, unless they're unidirectional, have them remounted ($10.00/wheel) with the graffiti on the inside.

Skip G.
    Folks,

This is pure, useful advice -- if someone is dumb enough to use Glass Chalk on something other than your car's glass, remove the unwanted marks with mineral spirits (paint thinner). Even better, get one of the culprits to do it for ya. Took me 45 minutes yesterday, but my Yokohamas are polka dot free. Flammable (with all the mineral spirits I had to use), but polka dot free.

The mineral spirits also cleaned up the rubber trim and black metallic trim.

Re-mounting was only an option if I had made the bridesmaid responsible buy me a new set of Yokohamas herself. ;-) I'm a ruthless groom.

Later,
    burnsmr4
    Oh, how low the Cougar boards have fallen! The first Owners' Group! The most posting! Now, there are long silences interspersed with non-automotive messages.

It's Ford's fault. They let the cat die through inattention. so the New Edge Cougar never reached its potential. All we have left in the line is the Jaguar X, which is apparently not that great itself.

Well, I'm still here, driving my Cougar short distances through traffic. Nothing has fallen off lately, and I'll probably keep the car 10 years like I always do.
  • irish21irish21 Member Posts: 12
    I read mostly and lately I haven't had the time to read the lists/forums I belong to.
    The members enthusiastic responses here to the Cougar was one of the reasons why I bought the Cougar. The other its unique style.

99 Silver Cougar which just hit 30,000 miles the other day. The starter needs to be replaced. Per the dealer it will take them 2 days to install the starter. I was told if I wanted my starter repaired then I would have to find some way to get home. If I didn't want to leave the Cougar at the dealership and have them repair the starter, the dealer said the Cougar would probably strand me somewhere. I called the dealer and explained about the failure to start. They asked me if I wanted to bring the Cougar up Friday. My mistake was thinking the dealer was interested in fixing the Cougar. I was there at 6:30 a. m. They looked at the car at 8:30. It would have been courteous to tell me they were booked early. But then it also would have been courteous to tell the customer what they found when they examined the Cougar. The Cougar had been parked outside (for 20 minutes) and nothing was said to the customer. If it wasn't so nice out, I wonder if the service manager would have ever told me the Cougar needed a starter. I was leaning against the car enjoying the first warm sun of the season.

I tried to buy a 2001, but the 3rd dealership damaged a mirror housing when they evaluated my Cougar. The mirror looked like someone put pressure until the housing separated from the body. This same dealership refused to repair the alternator I complained about. One March morning the Cougar died at a stoplight at 2 a.m. The Cougar had to be towed to the dealership. I was told that the part had to be ordered. I called several days later and inquired if the part was in. I was told no. But in fact the part was in and it was given to a male customer who had no problems. I knew this because I worked with the male customer. He and I bought our 99 Cougars in the same month. By this time there had been a recall. So that particular dealer gave me lousy service on the sales side and the service side.

The first dealer tried to charge me an 800 delivery fee.

The second dealer didn't put the Cougar's gas tank together properly. Also they misaligned the gas cap so I couldn't put gas in the Cougar. The gas tank registered full, only it wasn't. I worked the Midnight shift back then. Suddenly while traveling the highway, the car started loosing power. Fortunately I was in the slow lane and was able to coast to the breakdown lane. If I had been in the other lanes, the Cougar would have stopped dead in a travel lane. How I found out the gas tank was not right? Gas makes a pretty big puddle when you fill up the gas tank. I imagine the owner was not very happy to see a full tank of gas flow all over the ground.

So I have been stranded late at night and early morning due to service depts that refused to do their job. Right now I have to pay for a rental because the 4th dealership refused to treat me with courtesy. I made an inquiry and heard that a starter can be installed in less than a day. Two days are not needed to install a starter. I love my Cougar and its styling, but obviously I have to look elsewhere. Most of my problems happened because the dealer refused to give me competent, courteous, timely service. If the 4th dealer didn't want to bother with my Cougar, he should have told me and not leave me stranded at his dealership. There is NO way that I will buy a new Cougar from those dealerships. Hopefully that dealer will fix the starter Properly and correctly. But I have my doubts based on the way the dealer treated his customer.
    Malpractice insurance for dealers sounds pretty good from here. Maybe if dealerships were under the same job/performance scrutiny as doctors, they might consider the way the dealership does business. The dealership might think twice about deceiving, lying, cheating, misrepresenting facts.

I would love to get the new Cougar, but I have no reputable, competent, courteous dealers in my vicinity.
    if you are in CA and looking to buy a new cougar I can make a very good recommendation.....the dealership i purchased from has given me incredible service......when i purchased the car...i negotiated to have the front windows tinted.....three months after i bought the car i took it in for the window tinting....they performed the service....i had to leave my car....they comped me a rental car for 2 days....when i had the oil changed....i took the car in on a sat...they shuttled me home.....when the car was ready...they brought the car to my home....(i live about 5 miles from the dealership).....i am having the rear windship wiper motor changed.....last weekend i took it in for diagnosis....the took me home...then returned my cougar to me at home....this sat i take the cougar in to have the rear wiper motor changed...they are going to comp me a rental car until my cougar is ready.....like i said...come to my neck of the woods and i will take you to a dealership that knows what customer service is......
    the aussy
  • irish21irish21 Member Posts: 12
    I appreciate the offer, but right now I live on the East coast. My brother lives in San Francisco.
    I like the West Coast. When it's time to retire, I'm thinking of moving to the West Coast. Vancouver Canada is Awesome. The climate there is warmer than it is back here. Our beaches have water temperature in the 50's. 60 is reallly warm. Somewhere on the West Coast is where I plan. It's nice to know that there are decent dealers somewhere. Thanks again.