Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

Comments

• pawtiger4pawtiger4 Member Posts: 1
    Hello fellow cougar owners.
    I'm new to the site and am hoping to find some answers to problems I have been having with my 2000 Cougar.
    I absolutely love my Cougar, despite it's problems. It has been to the shop for recalls, fuel pump & battery routing cables, both of which many of you are familiar with. Recently I have been experiencing a pulsating/flickering of the lighting & electrical system which eventually leads to the car shutting off. The battery & alternator have been replaced, along with some connections surrounding the alternator and battery. Each of the four times I have taken it to service departments, it was claimed to be "fixed" but they had made no improvements.
    I have found other cougar owners with the same complaints but no one seems to have a solution to the electrical problem. No doubt that Ford/Mercury knows of this problem along with the list of other complaints surrounding this vehicle, yet will not provide a solution.
    Anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

Thanks!

Ellen M. :confuse:
  • mouse409mouse409 Member Posts: 34
    Unfortunitly not to many people are to active on this site anymore. I have a 99 that we bought new and have had very good luck with it. I have not heard of this problem. My only suggestion is to go through the old postings and see if this problem came up. Good luck!!

Mouse409
    =^..^=
  • harbachjharbachj Member Posts: 51
    After 6 happy years with my 99 Cougar, I have moved on. Was going to keep her for another year of so but couldn't resist the $7000 rebates on the Saab 9-2X Aero (essentially a Subaru WRX wagon). Really like the tight handling and power of the 9-2X, but I will miss some things about the Cougar. Mine was trouble free and I'm sure the new owner will get some good miles out of her.

Jim H.
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    My Cougar is at the dealer now where they're putting new bushings in the rear sway bar and changing the engine control module. Another $1000 down the drain. I can't tolerate the car's lack of reliability any more. I think I'll get a BMW; at least they cover maintenance for 4 years.
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Hi folks: Seems as though time and mileage is reducing our Cougar group at a rapid rate. Even with some of the problems I've had, I've enjoyed mine, and still do. But, to me, the Scion Tc is tempting (price and performance, not too sure abut the styling). We'll see what another year brings as all of the bugs seem to be worked out of my Cougar.

Skip G.
  • muckmuck Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Imonroe. I finally got around to changing the THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR on my 2000 cougar and it no longer stays stuck @ high RPM''s when i shift gears. I also changed the fuel filter. The car fells like brand new. You saved me from having to trash my cougar because this problem was driving me crazy. I hope i can get at least another year out of the car.
  • alex12alex12 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone my name is Alex, I wanted to see if anyone else is having the same problem with their cougar. My car hesitates and sometimes even shuts off in the middle of driving on, it happens more when i turn the air con., I got a computer test on it,it came out with a fuel system malfunction?, I took it to the dealer and they replaced the fuel pump, and it is still doing it, actually even worse. has anyone already fixed this problem. and also when i brake, i hear clicking noise in the shifter? and my door locks do not work, I have already tried to replace the fuse, but it keeps burning out. Does anyone else have this problem or a solution? please write back
    Can't say anything about your fuel feed or clicking problems, but had the same condition on the door locks. Turns out to be a short in the actuator of one of the doors. Had my dealer figure out which it was (passenger side), and then had them disconnect it so that the rest of the system would work. Estimated $650 for replacement. I figured it wasn't worth it. Driver's door, trunk, and security all work fine, so why bother?

SkipG
  • muckmuck Member Posts: 7
    I was having problems with my RPM's on my 2000 cougar for the longest time. I also had my fuel pump replaced and the problem got worse. I finally corrected it by having the dealer replace the THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR. Have the dealer replace this part and see what happens. Also, if you haven't replaced the fuel filter for a while, you shoud replace that as well.
  • alex12alex12 Member Posts: 2
    thank you for writing back, I went to the dealer today and I got the fuel pump replaced at no charge, the car is working great! now i'm just concerned about the clicking noise and the short, please write back if anyone has any suggestions. thank you :)
  • sduff68sduff68 Member Posts: 52
    Just checking in after a long while,

I am the owner of a 1999 Mecury Cougar (V6, 5 speed MTX, sport package) that presently has over 100,000 miles. I was one of the original posters in this group under a different name (dgemini).

Other than a broken throttle (which may have been my fault), the remote opening trunk (which sticks), a remote control that died (didn't realize how easy it was to re-program yourself). and the window weather stripping (still works but is no longer black...actually looks "moldy") it has been a fine vehicle.

Unfortunately it was out-classed not long after it came out by the competition, and Ford decided they did not want to invest any money in it to make it better. It is still a great looking vehicle, people still sometimes don't know what it is.

I hate that the re-sale is so poor on the vehicle. I am in the market for a new vehicle now, and I don't think it is worth it to even trade it in.

However, keeping the vehicle isn't such a bad idea since it still runs well and gets pretty good gas mileage (can get 18-20 mpg city if I baby it). When I finally move up to a four door pick-up I will probably just keep the Cougar until the Lord tells me to give it away to someone.

Take care all and God bless! What's up Badulah and all you other old timers!!!
  • sduff68sduff68 Member Posts: 52
    Just read in an old message where someone paid 3,000 dollars for a cat in showroom condition with only 57,000 miles!

My car really isn't worth trading in....

I will really make sure I check out the re-sale values on future vehicles (one of the reasons why my last purchase was a Honday Odyssey!)

I also don't plan on buying any more brand new vehicles, let someone else pay the depreciation.
    Good to hear from another 'experienced' forum member. Seems as though there's not a lot of us left. I've got 67K mi. on my '99, and it's still running OK. I get 22-23 mpg in mostly commuting traffic, so can't complain even with today's prices. The $3000 deal you read about sounds lke a panic sale to me. Either that, or one of the early 4cy models that NO ONE wants ;) As for me, when the time comes, I'll buy new as holding a car for 7-8 years amortizes the early depreciation vs. a used price with the associated risks. At least I know that my oil's been changed every 3k mi.

SkipG
    After my Cougar's sway bar bushing fix, I was driving to work and the shift linkage broke at a stop light, leaving me there with no way to get the car moving. I had it towed to the dealer. The problem was a $30 pin in the linkage. Unfortunately, the transmission had to be pulled to access the pin. $700 labor. Then the engine light went on; some module in the gas tank died. $60 module, $700 to put it in. Ecch.

I bought a Lexus I300. The handling is unbelievably good and I hear they don't break much.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I hadn't come here in awhile, so I decided to stop by. I got rid of my 1999 Cougar about 3 yrs ago, but some of these screen names sound familiar. Hope everyone is doing good and enjoying what they drive.
  • mouse409mouse409 Member Posts: 34
    Sorry I have not checked in for a while. My 99 has just made 31,000K and we are ready to put ir up for the winter. Have not had any problems with it, am getting 27 MPG back and forth to work. Still runs good, wish they (Mercury) had stayed with it. Oh-Well. Any one heard from Badula or Lefty at all. I guess nobody much keeps a car as long as I do any more. The Cougar replaced a 1984 Turbo Daytona. We hope to keep the Cougar for at least another 5 years. It has been a great car so far.
    =^..^=
    I don't drop by as often as I used to, but I'm still here. My cat went over 70,000mi this morning on my way to work. Averaging just a touch over 10,000/yr, so I guess you'd say I'm a fairly low mileage driver for everyday useage. It'll be 7 years this coming Pearl Harbor day but seems like yesterday. Where does the time go? I did hear from Badulah about a month ago. He's been moving around and ended a long term relationship (girl, not car). Still driving his modified black Cougar and enjoying it. See you all later, Skip G.
  • duvelduvel Member Posts: 1
    Hello All - I have had a 99 Cougar since new (birthday present to myself!!) and recently have been experiencing the car locking itself without any use of the door locks or remote. The engine is running, I am outside scraping the ice off the outside and it locks itself!!
    This happens repeatedly (I can be outside or inside and the car is in Park)and makes it mandatory to always carry a spare set of keys!! Any ideas as to what may be causing the problem?
    Thanks.
  • finniansmomfinniansmom Member Posts: 1
    I just traded in my 2000 Cougar last night :( . My Cougar was only 5 years old with 40,000 miles and had $1200 worth of labor it needed to replace a cracked oil pan... My mechanic, who is a very good friend, told me that this car was not going to be worth fixing if this was a sign of things to come. Soo, I bought an SUV and sad a teary eyed :cry: good bye to my Bella Mia last evening. I used to post here ages ago, I have no clue what my old name was..
    My '99 never did this but I rented a Ford once that did; it locked itself with the engine running when I returned it.

So that seems to be one failure mode of Ford door locks.

Sorry but I don't know how to fix it.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I have a '99 Cougar I bought in Nov'98, so one of the first of the new models. I now have 120K miles. I had to replace two alternators (at 68K & 110K miles), and then at about 115K miles the A/C compressor. All total, I've paid about $3,000 in repair costs in the past 7 years.

Is this about average?
    You're doing swell. I paid $3000 in repair costs for my '99 Cougar last August for sway bar bushings, a fuel pressure sensor and transmission linkage repair. Then I got rid of it.
    You know the claim aoubt 100,000 mi before a tuneup? BULL! At 72k mi, mine just died in front of the house. According to the CarX shop, it needed full plugs, ignition harness (arcing all over the place) and a new battery (not unexpected). But, to get to the plugs, you have to take the intake manifold off, so you can add in the cost of the gaskets. All in all, $575.00. I'm also loking at a complete brake replacement in the near future as the rotors are about shot. I figure that's about another $6-700. I am actively exploring the market during my lunch time, and have found a new '05 Saturn Ion Red Line for about $19.500. Weighs about the same as the Cougar, slightly roomier, and has a supercharged 200HP (0-60, 6.2sec) engine along with a lot of handling improvements. Maybe I'll take a test drive in the near future. ;) I did try the Scion Tc, but was disappointed in the feel of the car, and the trunk space under the hatch is a joke. :( I'll let the group know how thing turn out. Skip G.
  • snowman9000snowman9000 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. We just bought a 99 Cougar, 2.5l V6 with 4 speed auto trans. The auto trans upshift from 1st to 2nd is noticeably firm or abrupt. Is this normal in this car? I did not notice it on the test drive. :mad:

Thanks,

Don M
    Well, I took that Saturn test drive, and was hooked :D With 200+HP(supercharged), roomier interior, slightly less weight, and more than adequate trunk space, the decision was made. As it was the last 2005 on the lot, it was marked down from ~$23K to $19750. Got the dealer to shave a few more bucks off, got the BB trade-in of $4K on the Cougar, and, after a ton of paperwork, took delivery last Monday. I was sorry to see my golden cat sitting off to the side, awaiting a cleanup to be set out for adoption, but life goes on, and I'm sure some kid will wind up driving off to the local passion pit with it as it's still a great looking ride. :shades: I'll miss the camaraderie and good times we've shared here, and will hold good memories of all. Skip G
  • abraham69abraham69 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 cougar that quit running when I was driving it. I replaced the fuel pump and it don't pump fuel. There is a buzzing noise like if a little electric motor is running under the hood. I don't know where it is coming from either. I don't know what to do. The pump doesnt pump fuel either. The fuze is good. The diode is good. The relay is good. Does anyone know what might be wrong or have a wiring diagram for the fuel pump? :confuse:
  • markphmarkph Member Posts: 1
    My Fan for the heater and a/c quit running. I can still feel heat coming up from the vent in the window. why did this happen
  • rgb2rgb2 Member Posts: 31
    I sold my Cougar a while back, but while still under warranty I had this happen. The dealer replaced some resistor to fix it. If I remember correctly, there was a TSB on this.
  • angelkist2003angelkist2003 Member Posts: 2
    Hey all we just joined this forum. Heres my issue. About 3 Weeks ago my GF bought a 93 Mercury Cougar with 108,000 Miles on it. The issues that came up right away she was told by a passing motorist that her headlights blink. Also the radio started to not work right. The 1 thing I thought of was a short or bad ground in the system, but get this the car was low on power steering fluid so I filled it up then the radio started to work fine. Im totally lost on why that is as one should have nothing to do with the other. Last week my gf was accelerating over a hill and started losing power and droped in acceleration, the engine light came on then the car died. I had it taken in to a shop and they replaced the distributor. The car starts and everything now BUT now the battery light is on and the car ran like [non-permissible content removed]. Took it back and they adjusted the distributer off specs(from what there computer says.) until the car ran better they said they checked the battery and alternator and both were fine. The battery light is still on. I also noticed that at a red light when i turn the wheel the volts drop to like 11-12V and the rpms drop some then return to normal. I also have noise coming from the powersteering pump (been like that tho since we had the car). My gf explained to me at one point when driving that the car stop accelerating at 10mph and 40mph and when she pushed the gas a lil more there was no acceration for about 10-15 secs then slowly kick in. Apparently it only happened twice to her, as I have driven the car and not experienced this prob yet. I have no idea if this is an electrical or mechanical issue. Any help would be appreciated.
  • ongoingongoing Member Posts: 1
    Same problem for me. If you have any of this answered I would greatly appreciate it. I am getting ready to replace the alternator AGAIN.

Thanks
  • ronniesrronniesr Member Posts: 4
    gm did discontinue the oldsmobile i have a 97 delta 88 and im very pleased it's been a good car
    does anyone know how many 1972 mercury couger convertables were made i have a friend who just purchased one he wanted me to find out and he is looking for parts also can anyone give me some information?
  • alonniealonnie Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 2.5 Cougar is not starting. I checked the schematic and see that an anti-theft device is tied into the starter relay. I checked all contacts on the relay. when I short the starter relay contacts (3 & 5) the starter turns. I turn the ignition on and short the contacts, starter turns but engine doesn't start. I checked the switch on the automatic trans shifter and it check OK. When it is activated, there is a click somewhere in the instrument cluster. The only thing I can see at this point in the schematic is the anti-theft module. I have checked my Chiltons and there is no mention of it's location or what to do to check it out. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS? ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED.
    you might have to go to the dealer and have them take care of the problem.it sounds like the ignition switch might be bad there is a rod on top of the column for the ignition it could have broke.
  • jonsgirljonsgirl Member Posts: 1
    My Son has a 1995 Mercury cougar that will not start. We thought the fuel line froze up and he put seafoam in it. It is now above freezing and will still not start. Any suggestions? The battery is still good we had that tested. He filled up prior to the snowstorm so I am not sure how much that seafoam was able to get mixed in with the gas? Any suggestions or tips. It is turning over but not starting.
  • kim18kim18 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 cougar and I just found out I have transmission issues wnd I am told need a new one or used one. It is a v6 and only has 65,000 miles any thoughts on whether it is worth it to replace. :(
  • cougarpoorcougarpoor Member Posts: 4
    Hey if you find an answer please let me know,I'm going nuts. Thanks
    Hi there;
    Has anyone come across a soloution to the flickering light show the new cougars produce?
    Besides selling it?
    Thanks
  • splemmsplemm Member Posts: 1
    My first alternator failed at 60k and took out the engine controller. The second alternator at 85k (no other problems). The third failed at 99k. On way to shop the dash went blank. The shop says my dashboard module is going. Had them change alt and drove it home. I pulled dash apart, cleaned connections and reassembled. The car died on the way to work. Just before "shutting down", the odometer indicated I was going 140mph. I was unable to get the car into neutral for the tow home. After replacing battery cables I was able to put into neutral and move car. But it locked up again ater putting into park. I know battery is weak and recharged, everything appears good except 1) no stereo display - but it works. 2) occational strange characters in mileage 3) overly sensitive alarm. Has any been through this sort of thing? Does it sound like I have possibly "fried" thre dashboard module, stereo display unit, and antitheft unit. Is it possible I may have nothing more than a bad battery? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    The locking in park may be the 15 amp fuse in the panel below the steering wheel(check manual). I had that issue and it ended being an exposed wire in the trunk running to my signal light. If you reach under the passenger side of the console there is a lever that will unlock the shifter.
    I recently got my electrical fixed. It was to do with the routing of the battery cable from or to the alternator and the torque. Parts were cheap but the labour was like $500. The cable was getting so hot it was melting the battery housing. I had replaced the alternator first which had made the electrical issue worse. I had come across a recall for about 200,000 cougars with this routing problem but somehow mine wasn't one of them according to my VIN. I think this was also my problem though. If anyone is having issues like this though I recommend learning from my mistake. I went to a couple mechanics before Ford and paid diagnostic charges and they never found the problem. The Ford dealer had it figured out in an hour.
  • tracys68tracys68 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 99 cougar about 2 or so weeks ago.When I bought the car I noticed that when I hit the brakes it jerks to the right and left real bad.(mainly the right).I took it to a shop and they said it needed a caliper,rotar,ball joint,tie rod.I took it back to where I got it from and after some hassle they replaced the ball joint(drivers side) and rear wheel cylinders(they were leaking fluid).anyway after they fixed those problems I drove away and when I hit the brakes it still jerked to the right and then it would shudder real bad almost to the point it would bog the engine down!Well needless to say,I went out that day and bought a caliper.Took some of the shudder out but not all of it.then I bought the caliper for the other side,new rotars for both sides,the other caliper and new brake shoes.It still jerks to the right real bad and it still shudders when I hit the brakes.Can anyone help me with this problem?This is the first mercury Ive owned and I really like the car.Also,I have the 2.0 engine and I have some major hesitation when I take off.Ive put new plugs in and that has not helped.Im also consuming a huge amount of gas since Ive replaced the plugs.any help is greatly appreciated! :cry:
  • butchw1982butchw1982 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 1997 mercury cougar with a 3.8 liter v6. it only has 92000 miles on it. the power on this car sucks. i was wondering what is the biggest engine i can squeeze into the engine bay. if anyone out there can help it would be greatly appreciated.
  • butchw1982butchw1982 Member Posts: 4
    my 97 cougar has a 3.8 liter V6 with 90000 miles on it. i have had the shocks and struts, a tune up, a freeze plug, all of the O2 sensors, motor mounts, and the mass airflow sensor replaced. also i have had the engine, radiator, and transmission flushed. now when i sit at a red light for a couple of minutes my car gets really hot and dies. can anyone help me out?
  • sunshine78sunshine78 Member Posts: 1
    How can I find leather car seats to replace mine?
  • shannamikaleshannamikale Member Posts: 1
    I previously owned a 99 Cougar that was nothing but problems... but 2 years ago I bought a 02 Anniversary Edition and haven't had any problems until now. My moonroof motor has gone out, same as my last car, and its not covered by the warranty. Basically, it will $800 for a new motor for the moonroof if bought from the Ford dealership. Of course I don't want to do this, but don't have many options. Does anyone know of another place I could get one? Thanks!
  • shyguyhereshyguyhere Member Posts: 2
    well i dont know what the problem is but i just bought a 99 cougar for my daughter and it is doing the same thing if u find a way to fix it could u plz let me know what to do to fix it. thank u troy
  • shyguyhereshyguyhere Member Posts: 2
    well i got a 99 cougar for my kid and when u hit the brakes it pulls to the right.I have put new pads ,rotors,calipers,and brake lines in and it still pulls if anyone can help that would be great.
  • anxious_meanxious_me Member Posts: 3
    Hi , My daughter has the flickering problem. We have replaced 5 alternator , which is a six hour job because of where it's located. Usally the flickering stops for awhile but always returns.........Have you found out why it does this??? I would love to know. Right now her signal and hazzard lights only work sometimes. Gotta love the Cougar. :cry:
  • eesupercateesupercat Member Posts: 2
    I have had to replace my alternator four times already on my 2000 Mercury Cougar. I typically get a year or 2 from each alternator. I took my car to the dealer several times and they just replaced the alternator. It wasn't until my last alternator that they realized that there was a recall on the battery wiring. I believe this is only on the 2.5L V6 model. Type in mercury cougar + recalls and you will see which recalls are on the car.
  • eesupercateesupercat Member Posts: 2
    A few days ago I had to replace the battery on my Mercury Cougar 2000 after just under two years. Luckily it was under warranty and I got a free full replacement. The next night I started the car and pressed the brake pedal to put the car into reverse. As I did so the lights dimmed and the idling level dropped. I backed up and put into drive. All the lights came on including the brake light and the neddles on the odometer and speedometer went all the way up and came back down. The car stalled out and shut off. I was able to restart and it did it one more time. I started again and it was fine and I was able to drive home. At home I started again and the same problem. I had the repair shop disconnect and reconnect the battery cables to reset it. The last couple of days the car has been fine, but I am not sure when and if this problem will reoccur. According to the repair shop the battery and alternator tested good. Anyone experienced a similiar problem? Thanks.