Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
Cougar Support Group - Bigger & Better.

Enjoy!

Bonnie Rick
Town Hall Community Manager, Edmunds.com

Comments

• gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Hey, this is cool!!!!

System crashed yesterday at work, so, stopped by the Library this AM to drop off some discs, and decided to use thier new computers and see what happens.

It works!!!! :-)

Guess if I get laid off, or it takes some time to get our system up when the office moves, I can still hang around from time to time.

Nice new library too, just opened a couple of months ago.

Skip G.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Yes, I live in the Atlanta area. I have not started to shop around yet. I will wait until march or april to do so. I will probably look into NTB(though my past dealings with them have not been great). How bad are your tires at 22,000 miles?

Thanks for the responses to my 15"/16" tire questions. But, I still don't understand why the 16"'s won't fit. Explanations anyone?
  • coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    That's the measurement of the opening in the middle of the tire.

So if you have a 16" tire and a 15" wheel, the hole is too big. So, you have to upsize the wheel/rim to match.
    Thanks coolchick!!!
  • badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    WELL IT'S ABOUT TIME!!! We have been asking for a new conference area for months!!!!
    :-)

Malibu:
    Show off!!

I would like to visit Cali, but I don't know if I could just pick up and move there. It would be a big change. But the weather does make it a tempting factor.
    CSG Members:
    Please take note of our new conference "Cougar Support Group - Picture Gallery". I would post the link, but it's kinda long and I have no clue to post them like Bonnie and StageLeft (HTML stuff). Just click on "return To Topics List" and you will see it there.

Thanks!
    Rob
    AKA "Badulah"
  • malibumalibu Member Posts: 155
    When you do come out this way you will have to stop on the Central Coast, it is beautiful. I have lived here all my life and love it. I decided this weekend, while washing my kitty (in the sun) I am going to take my overtime money from tax season and put the Borla exhaust on...or should I say have it put on. My husband just shakes his head and says "whatever" he knows once I make up my mind it's a done deal. I really love the look, I haven't seen one in person, just on the web site. I know it won't make it any faster, but I love the growl I get now and always turn down the radio while getting on the freeway, so I know I will love the sound. I guess growing up with a dad who raced, all those saturday and sunday mornings at the drag strip did mentally scar me!
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    I've been real busy at work out for the past month or so and now we've moved to a new conference area. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

I've had my Cat since March '00 and haven't had a reason to take it to the dealer, but last week I've experienced a problem with the driver's seat. It seems that the a or spring is loose. The seat is all the way and when I sit on the seat, it sinks all the way down. The button that controls the height adjustment doesn't work anymore. And I don't have the power seats. Has anyone else had this problem?

And since my dealer has moved to another state (NJ), can I just go to any other dealer near me (preferably in NY)? I'm assuming this repair would be covered by the car's warranty.
    Malibu:
    The Borla won't increase your top speed, but I do believe it will increase horsepower at different points in the power band. You should also install the KKM intake system. The combined mods will give you optimum flow, and work nicely together. Lefty has both and I really like the performance of his Cat. I plan to install the Borla (or a custom made Borla kit), and springs in the spring after I get my ground effects kit installed.

Dasaint1:
    Glad to hear you are doing well. I was starting to wonder where you went.
    What does the KKM consist of? Is that something the exhaust shop will do also? I have an old boyfriend that has a muffler shop, I was going to see if he would cut me a deal on the installation. I don't want my husband to touch the cat, he has the GTO if he wants to play mechanic and he's way too busy playing contractor right now anyhow.
    Malibu:
    The KKM is a free air intake filter. It's really easy to install. If the guy at the shop is a friend, he should be willing to do it for you. Installation should only take 15-20 minutes. For more info on the KKM check out the CSG site and look in the install guide section, and check out KKM's web site at: www.kustomz.com
  • krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    Dasaint: Good to hear from you. I believe you should be able to take your car to any Mercury dealership for warranty work. The seat should be covered under warranty. Good luck!
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    Coolant light question -- again

Did anyone have any answers for my coolant light question from the last conference? Edmunds.com switched us before anyone had mentioned anything about the problem. I'd appreciate any help offered.

Request for Edmunds.com moderator

Can you folks give a conference a few days warning before switching us to a new conference? If anyone asks a question a few posts before the switch (like me), others may skip over the question and head for the new conference. Like being cut off in the middle of a sentence.

Thanks,
    burnsmr
    Common problem w/Cougars. The fix is a little more fluid in the tank. The level sensor is a little too sensitive and parking on a slope will trip it off.

There is a tech bulletin out and it's covered under warranty.

I had the problem too, and thanks to our happy little group here, knew what to do.

Sorry it took so long for you to get this answer.

Skip G.
    burnsmr4:
    I have experienced the coolant light problem in the past. Here is what happens: When starting your car on a slight incline the coolant light comes on. Although the coolant tank my appear to be full, because of the slope of the pavement, the sensor thinks the tank is low and the light comes on. The only way to correct this problem once the light comes on is to pull on to level pavement and restart the car. In order to prevent it from happening at all, you need to fill the coolant tank slightly above the "full" mark. I know this quirk occurs in 1999 models, but it may have been corrected in the more recent 2000 and 2001 models.

In reference to your comment about creating new topics:
    I will pass your message on to Bonnie Rick. She
    is the Club Conferences host, but I don't believe
    she is in the topic very often.
  • bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
    Sorry for the disruption...No one has requested notice before...I'll do my best to give warning from now on!

Bonnie Rick
    Conferences Manager, Edmunds.com Town Hall
    I also have experienced the "coolant light problem" only one time. As badulah said, just pull over and restart the car and the light should go off. I did put coolant in too just over the full mark. Eventhough, the level was almost already at the full line.

Where is MWS? Is he still around?
    Hey folks,

Thanks for the information on the coolant light.

I added some coolant and water above the MAX line (which was hard to find when looking around the MIN line), and I've parked on an incline. I'll find out in the morning if it worked.

Thanks also to Bonnie for acknowledging my request.

One quick thing -- I was asking about Valvoline synthetic power steering fluid earlier. I called the tech line today, and the fellow said that mixing regular fluid with the synthetic fluid won't harm the car. Badulah, did you happen to turn up any more information?

Thanks,
    burnsmr

P.S. -- BMW lights suck too! I watched a fellow with a brand new black 2001 BMW 325ci (convertible) change out his parking lamp modules with BMW replacement clear lenses (might have been aftermarket). Apparently, their parts fit like ca-ca too :-)
    I am not sure if I answered your question on where I will buy my tires. By the way, I am from Atlanta(Powder Springs/near Marietta). I will probably go to NTB and some other local shops and comparison shop. I know I will not get Firestones again, but I am not sure what others to consider. Any suggestions( I have 15" tires by the way)? Actually, my parents said they would get me new tires as part of my Christmas present. So, price, to a certain extent, is not an issue. Though, since my car is a lease and the lease will be up in a little over 2 years, I don't want to spend too much money on the best tires. I am hopeing that the new tires will improve the ride and muffle some of the rattles and noises in my car. I hope that is not too much to ask!! ;-)
  • dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    If you want your tires to last do not buy Pep Boys Ultra Z tires!

Don't get me wrong, they handle great and are worth the many. However, they have a wear rating of 300AA, and I have about 6000 miles on the front tires and I have already worn away about half the tread! I know I drive fast but HALF THE TREAD IN 6000 MILES!

Has anyone else had a similar experience using tires with a 300 wear rating? I really don't want to bad mouth these great handling AND affordable tires unfairly.

I got about 30,000 miles out of my Firehawks, If I do not get at least 20,000 miles out of these tires I will be dissapointed.
  • garyinvestgaryinvest Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the comments about re-painting in the previous topics. Fish8, you said your wife calls you obcessive. Most of my friends call me the same or go so far as to call me completely anal when it comes to maintaining the Cougar, especially its appearance. I'm having one of the right side panels repainted this coming Monday at Cherner L/M in Annandale Virginia. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they do a perfect job.

I have one other question. My car radio experiences considerable interference when I'm driving on many roads in the Washington DC metro area. The volume tends to go lower during these periods of interference. On roads further outside the DC Capital Beltway, this problem doesn't seem to occur. I never have had this problem with my other car, a Pontiac Grand Prix. I know there is a service bulletin on radios in Cougars that experience the volume adjusting up and down on its own, but my problem seems to be more of a true interference problem. The dealer has offered to replace the radio but I wanted to do more research first. I have the combination radio, cassette, and CD unit in a 2000 Cougar manufactured in July 2000. The CD and cassette both work perfect so I know it's not a speaker problem. Is there anyone else on this list who lives in the Washington DC metro area, or anywhere else for that matter, who has experienced this same problem? If so, what have you done to correct the problem?

Thanks for your help again.

Gary
  • chat_managerchat_manager Member Posts: 14
    I see how many of you seem to correspond on the boards and was wondering if you would be interested in having a weekly Cougar Support Group Chat so that you could talk live to one another (okok, type to one another :smile::) I thought it might give you an opportunity to get to know each other even better and be something you might like.

If you are interested please let me know what day and time you all would like to have it. I will set it up for you and keep you all posted as to the start date. I'd love to get your feedback!

Thank you!
    Dana S. Livingston
    Chat Manager
    Town Hall
    Edmunds.com
  • stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    Garyinvest:

I bought and continue to service my Cougar at Cherner in Annandale. And I drive the Metro/DC area quite often as I live in Springfield, to answer those questions. The radio in my Cat seems to have been having a similar problem to that which you described, except in my case the driver's speaker would cut on and off. I believe this is the problem that was covered in a previous string of conversation in the CSG. They replaced the head unit, and it seemed to have stopped cutting off - for a while, but now I think the problem has returned, and since I'm going in for service tomorrow I'm going to have them take a look at this problem again.

As far as the paint goes, Cherner did the job I mentioned earlier too. The first repaint, where I mentioned that it was not to my liking, was because it was in it's first model year and I don't think the dealers had all the right paint code information. I have Rio Red Clearcoat, and the tricky part of this paint (apparently) is that FMC used a tinted clearcoat to bring out the red luster. The first repaint, the dealer failed to put this tinted clearcoat on, and used a non-tinted clearcoat instead. Anyway, after I showed them their repaint was pink and not matching red, they repainted it and it's perfection!

Good luck with your repaint, let us know how it goes. And if you have words to say about the dealership or level of service you received, type it up in the dealer topic of the CSG.

Everyone:

Take care, and be sure to check out Badulah's review on his new Dunlop SP Sport 5000 All Season Tires.

Happy Cougaring!
    burnsmr4:
    I havn't turned up any info in regard to the synthetic steering fluid. I have asked several people, but they have never heard of it. I will continue my search and let you know what I come up with.

fish8:
    I highly recommend the Dunlop SP 5000's. Their traction is great, they handle like a dream, and they are very quiet and smooth. I feel they are well worth the money. I just finished a review of them for the web site. Check it out when you get a chance.

chat_manager:
    Sounds like an interesting idea. Let's see what our members think about it?

All:
    What does everyone think about a weekly chat session? Good idea? Bad idea? Let us know.
  • krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    I'd be up for a weekly chat if we could agree upon a time.

krnch
    As I'm limited to my computer at work, this is as close to a chat room as I'll ever get.

Skip G.
    gustafsc:
    So if we held it sometime during the day, you could participate?
    ...and a day and I'll set it up. Just let me know when you want. We can start with a weekly hour long one then if participation is good, we can possibly expand it to a daily hour long chat. What do you think? Anyone interested in volunteering to host it or do you want me or another moderator there? Let me know!

Dana S. Livingston
    Chat Manager
    Town Hall
    I'll be happy to host it if there is enough interest (and if my boss isn't lurking).

8-)
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    Wow. Talk about progress. Well, I'm glad to see that we're moving up. Soon we'll be in videoconferencing.

I'd like to participate in the chatroom, but if it's only for an hour. It's gonna be hard to get in it and even if you find the time to get in--staying in the chatroom is another issue. Being that this is all done during company time.

But hell, let's give it a try and see what happens. Let's pick a time where the West coast can participate as well. Around 3:30 pm or 4:00 pm (Eastern time) works for me. What about everyone else???

PS:
    Badman, you'll be happy to host anything remotely related to the Cougar. :p
    Hey, it's my job, it's what I do!!

Actually StageLeft and I have video conferenced once or twice, but it's way to slow on a dial up system.

4:00pm sounds good to me. What does everyone else think?
  • stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    Well, since I'm just leaving the office at 4pm, I wouldn't be able to make it, but then again if it's during work hours I probably wouldn't be able to make it either. I'm just too darned busy at work nowadays - sorry. :^(

On the flip-side, Dana, are the chats logged or archived on Edmunds.com so I could catch up on the conversation later? I could definately do that.

Other than that, how's everyone? Happy Cougaring!
    I would personally like to chat in the early evening after work or dinner. That's when everyone seems to chat on other websites, or closer to midnight.

How many folks have broadband at home? DSL? Cable modem? ISDN? Would chatting at home be an issue for folks on modems?

Dana, if this conference begins having regular chat sessions, is there a way to get e-mail notifications about them? Without having to hear about other Edmunds.com chat sessions?

Finally, if you do have a broadband connection at home, I've found NetMeeting to be very good for videoconferencing or even voice chatting. It can also be set up for a secure chat session. Just a suggestion.

Have a nice Thursday!

Sincerely,
    burnsmr
    I don't think that I could commit to chat time during the day.

Not that I'm all that Gung-Ho, but I never know from one day to the next what my actual schedule is going to be

Besides, I haven't a clue as to how a chat works or how to get into one.

As an old fart, you're lucky I can communicte this well. :-( You guys have been living with these things since you were born. To me, it's mostly a glorified typewriter that put a lot of women out of work.

Skip G
  • ciaraciara Member Posts: 9
    I have noticed posts from various folks here regarding changing out their cabin air filter. I just took my 99' Cougar in for the 20,000 mile check-up and asked them to change out the filter. When I went to pick it up, they told me I did not have that the Micron air filter in my car therefore they could not change it out. I thought this was standard equipment. Anybody else have that same experience?
    Go to a different dealer!!!! If your L/M dealer does not know that ALL '99 and newer Cougars come with an interior micron airfilter as standard equipment, they should not be in business. Let them look through your owners manual and show them what they don't know. They will probably feel really dumb. I replaced mine at 16,000 miles and it was really dirty. So, I'm sure yours is due for a change. Good luck!!
    In response to your comments/questions:

-This will be your chat so whenever you want to have it is up to you.

-We can set up the chats to be up to 500 people at once (I'd probably keep it to 50-100)...I'd drop in now and again just to make sure you aren't having any problem members (which I believe is VERY doubtful)

-Chats are very similar to Message Boards in terms of talking about the same things, etc...it is just done in real time...you simply "converse" by typing to the people like you are now on the message boards, but they are all in the same room at the same time as you.

-We use an outside Chat company whose software we utilize, so basically you would have a page with a "Chat Now" button, and you could go to that page link at the designated time, push the button and bingo you'd be in chat.

-In terms of transcripts, we have only been putting chats like Manufacturer or Editorial chats (educational/informative based) on our archived page, however if anyone would like a transcript each week (or if you miss a week) just send me an email stating that and I'd be happy to email it to you.

-If you would like reminders each week ONLY for that chat of course I could send them out to you to jiggle the brain a bit ;-)

-Badulah THANKS for volunteering!! I think you'd make a great host for the chat. I think since many of you are online friends it would be better hosted by one of your own. I'd like to meet you all however, so would pop in now and again to say howdy :)

If anyone has any questions or comments you can email me at DLivingston@edmunds.com or Post it here. Look forward to getting this off the ground for you guys!

Dana
    burnsmr4:
    Chatting via a dial up modem is not a problem at all. The only time I had a problem was when Lefty and I tried to video conference over Net Meeting. Voice chatting isn't to bad, but running video really bogs things down. I was actually thinking about getting DSL at home, but Verizon doesn't offer it in my area yet.

All:
    I have no problem with what ever time all of you come up with for the chat sessions. If I'm at work during them, I am 90% sure I will be able to join in/host. If it is later than 5pm EST, i'll be at home with the exception of Thursday nights (I work my 2nd job), therefore i'll definitely make it.
  • camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    I like the chat idea but for me it would need to be in the evening. As a contractor I am not in a good position to join in during the day when at work. 7:00 pm EST would be ideal.
    Thanks fish8, I knew I wasn't crazy. I called my regular service advisor today who unfortunately was not there when I dropped the car off. He was very apologetic for the confusion and offered to change out the filter tomorrow for only the cost of the filter (no labor charges). I have always had excellent service from this dealership and will chalk up this experience to the crew that was on the day after Thanksgiving. As I said I
    My dog hit the enter button with her nose and the post went flying!!!! As I said in my last post, I have 20,000 on my 99' now and have had no problems. I love my car as much as I did the first time I brought her home and plan to keep her for a long time!!!
    See, even a dog can send a message faster than I can!!!! ;-)

Skip G.
    LOL!
    To the person who asked about the micron air filter:

YES!!! Your car DOES have a filter, and you should horsewhip the moron who told you otherwise. Also, if a similar person tells you that they "don't change that filter per the manual's recommendations because customers find they're too expensive," you should horsewhip that person as well.

Before taking your car in for a 15,000 mile interval service (when the filter should be replaced), visit your local AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts and spend $10 - $15 on a Purolator micron air filter. I don't have the exact number, but it's a C-type filter.

Most places just started carrying them -- you may have to order one or grab the last on the shelf. Take this to your dealership and tell them that, in accordance with the Cougar manual, that filter has to be replaced. The advantage here is that you're getting to do the required service, AND you're not paying their $40 - $45 price for the filter.

Optionally, you can change it yourself. It will take a little time if you're new to that sort of part replacement (it took me 30 minutes to get the filter cover open). However, it will help to remove what is probably a nasty filter that Ford/Mercury should be replacing anyway.

Regards,
    burnsmr
    Okay guys my little red kitty is truly blessed! As I was driving back from lunch just now the guy behind me go rear ended, we were sitting at a stop light on a hill and I hear a loud crunch and squeel, I look in my rearview mirror to see the car (not very far behind me!) jerk forward. I immediatly inch up in case he lurches. He had just enough space between us that he didn't get me, plus he must have really pushed on his brakes. I LOVE MY CAT!
    Another accident averted!!!

I hope everyone has a GREAT & safe weekend!!

Rob K. Esquire
    AkA "Badulah"

PS - Over the next few days we really need to come up with a time and day for our chat sessions. Hopefully we will get some feedback from all of you over the weekend.
  • coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    Hi everyone :D

Swamped with work this past week and finally have had a chance to catch up on all the Cougar news.

I'm up for chat! Since nobody's willing to go out on a limb here (or maybe you're just all too polite....nah, that can't be it) I'll throw out a concrete suggestion:

Tuesdays 7:00pm EST.

Whaddya think?

I'm still waiting for my new plates to come in. They should have been here already! Arrghhh.
    I am with you. Tuesday's at 7:00 pm EST would be perfect for me.
    I finally decided on the snow tires and am having them installed Monday night. Ended up going with the Michelin Arctic Alpins and, as Krnch suggested, I got 15" with steel wheels. What finally clinched it was the god son of one of my neighbours who came over to inspect my Cat. After doing the walk around and peer in he was, of course, suitably impressed. However his parting comment after the usual ooohing and awwwhing was,"You're not going to run those wheels through the winter are you? They'll be a mess."

I am having the dealer install them and will have that pesky air bag warning light checked out at the same time.
    7:00 pm on Tuesdays for the chat sounds great to me.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and started on their Christmas or Hanakah(sp) shopping.

My Cat has been in the garage since Friday nice and clean and comfortable. Though, I did clean the wheels yesterday due to the fact they were nasty!!!

I will probably be getting new tires sooner than I expected. I will most likely get them during my Christmas vacation.

Badulah: I read your review on the Pirelli tires and I am leaning towards Pirelli's. I probably will not get the exact tires you did, but I will probably get the brand none the less. Good review!!!!