Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    bwia said:
     We are I think you’re fairly new around here so you don’t know me too well like others mentioned in postings above I’m visually impaired and use the voice to text feature on my phone so sometimes postings come out clear then others if I don’t talk super slow which sometimes I don’t and it’s who’s of the postings so you’ll get to know me don’t worry no offense taken 
    Dear @tbirdmarco, I am so sorry for my unfortunate and insensitive remarks. There are no words to express how embarrassed I am; and apologize to you and others on this thread that I have offended.A thousand pardons and I hope you will forgive me.

You don't have to apologize to him. He's just as messed up as the rest of us. He belongs in here.

No one ever apologized to me. :@

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    abacomike said:

The 2019 Forester not only loses the turbo, but also the manual transmission.

Crap -- my wife's Forester has been pleasant enough that I've had in the back of my mind getting one of my own with a manual transmission. Oh well. . .

Regarding speed limits. Not that anyone gives a s***, but I run with traffic plus a few miles per hour most of the time. That said, where I live, out in the sometimes wide-open West, my rule is that if you can't see any other traffic ahead or behind (in Nevada, that covers a lot of territory), all bets are off. Setting a cruise control at 90 or 110 isn't something that many people have the opportunity to do. I have, and it was great. This goes a ways toward explaining why I think run-flat tires are no substitute for a spare. The towns out there may be able to patch a tire, but that's about it.

When I drove from Los Angeles to Pennsylvania in 1999, there were many stretches of road that were void of traffic.  I remember mostly Utah, Nebraska and Iowa.  Speed limits were 70 mph - but frequently I’d run the Lexus at 85 mph for quite sometime.  That was one of the reasons I was able to make the trip with just 2 stops - just west of Denver and Joliet, Illinois.  I was in a hurry!

If you made that trip with just those two stops you must have had one large gas tank and/or you got a lot of miles out of a gallon of gas.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

Imid, that bridge is so out of date I would gladly pay $5 to go over it each way if they built a new one....if we were still driving that way.

10 bucks once a year ain't bad but that gets old real fast for working stiffs.

jmonroe
    That is just for Canadians passing through. People who use it daily just pay $1.
    I pay $1.50 to go over the Sunshine bridge and it is worth every penny.

I have heard about that by-pass idea. If it is like the Atlanta by-pass it takes you miles out of your way and is actually busier than just going straight through. The Atlanta by-pass, people try it once and then never again.
    I avoid the tollway here in order to save the 95 cents they will charge me each way on my daily commute.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

dino001 said:

I have to finally say - your reaction is a perfect example how IRRATIONAL is human perception of risk. We take no thought into getting into a car and exposing ourselves to drunk, crazy, dumb drivers that our streets are full of. Then we get frightened by some exogenous events that have near zero probability of occurring. Psychologists and Sociologists wrote many PhD thesis to describe why that is.

Exactly; a friend of mine mentioned that a hand-wringing neighbor was whining abou how scared she was to send her daughter to school in the light of the recent shootings- yet she let that same daughter drive to school with no competent driver training whatsoever.
    Well that case might not be what roadburner is talking about---statistically, your chances of dying by a gun in the USA are about the same as dying by an auto accident. (33,000 deaths a year, by either car or gun). Of course, that statistic means ALL gun deaths, including suicides--so perhaps it's not as grim as that mother thinks.
    My friend was comparing the chances of dying in an auto accident as opposed to a school shooting- not overall gun deaths.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

Michaell said:

Romans didn't have to explain why they used too much material and/or manpower.

Yeah, conquer another land, find some more free labor.
    I would also like to know how many of those surviving roman bridges have dozens of 14 ton trucks running over them on an hourly basis.
    How much does an elephant weigh?

:laughing:

But, not hourly, for sure.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

dino001 said:

I have to finally say - your reaction is a perfect example how IRRATIONAL is human perception of risk. We take no thought into getting into a car and exposing ourselves to drunk, crazy, dumb drivers that our streets are full of. Then we get frightened by some exogenous events that have near zero probability of occurring. Psychologists and Sociologists wrote many PhD thesis to describe why that is.

Exactly; a friend of mine mentioned that a hand-wringing neighbor was whining abou how scared she was to send her daughter to school in the light of the recent shootings- yet she let that same daughter drive to school with no competent driver training whatsoever.
    Well that case might not be what roadburner is talking about---statistically, your chances of dying by a gun in the USA are about the same as dying by an auto accident. (33,000 deaths a year, by either car or gun). Of course, that statistic means ALL gun deaths, including suicides--so perhaps it's not as grim as that mother thinks.
    IIRC over 60% of firearm deaths are suicides, so taking that into account you are far more likely to die in a car than by a gun.

@marco,
    I'm charging up the battery in the Mustang. Checked the odometer, 40220.

I need to charge up the battery on the bike, thanks for reminding me.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    jmonroe said:

bwia said:

We are I think you’re fairly new around here so you don’t know me too well like others mentioned in postings above I’m visually impaired and use the voice to text feature on my phone so sometimes postings come out clear then others if I don’t talk super slow which sometimes I don’t and it’s who’s of the postings so you’ll get to know me don’t worry no offense taken 

Dear @tbirdmarco, I am so sorry for my unfortunate and insensitive remarks. There are no words to express how embarrassed I am; and apologize to you and others on this thread that I have offended.A thousand pardons and I hope you will forgive me.

You don't have to apologize to him. He's just as messed up as the rest of us. He belongs in here.

jmonroe

I apologize that you are as screwed up as the rest of us. My condolences go out to your family. :'(:(

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

jmonroe said:

bwia said:

jmonroe

jmonroe, I apologized for never apologizing to you and I apologize for never again apologizing to you. B)

• coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170

I am sorry to leave, leaving 80+ temps for just above freezing. Can I claim cruel and unusual punishment? The guys say it is brutal being here in July, Aug and Sept, so at least I avoid that.

How many of us here are feeling sympathy for Mr.Driver? Raise your hands.
    Cold in Ohio.

nice tag line

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

Imid, that bridge is so out of date I would gladly pay $5 to go over it each way if they built a new one....if we were still driving that way.

10 bucks once a year ain't bad but that gets old real fast for working stiffs.

jmonroe
    That is just for Canadians passing through. People who use it daily just pay $1.
    I pay $1.50 to go over the Sunshine bridge and it is worth every penny.

I have heard about that by-pass idea. If it is like the Atlanta by-pass it takes you miles out of your way and is actually busier than just going straight through. The Atlanta by-pass, people try it once and then never again.
    I avoid the tollway here in order to save the 95 cents they will charge me each way on my daily commute.
    When I retired at the end of February 2015, The PA Pike toll was just under 2 bucks each way for the almost 20 mile one way trip. I was more than willing to pay that toll compared to the treachery of driving the non toll roads that had at least 8 lights (where I almost always got the red light) and more than a dozen stop signs. Not to mention an average speed of probably less than 30 MPH vs. the pike speed of 65 MPH and on top of that more wear and tear on my car.

Yes, it cost me the toll fee, but it saved my sanity, more car expenses, and hey, like @andres3 says, you have to consider the "time and space" thingy. :p

jmonroe

Thanks for the apologies guys, I think. :o

I'd ask that you apologize to @driver100 too but there is no excuse for him. :'(

jmonroe

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Michaell said:

Romans didn't have to explain why they used too much material and/or manpower.

Yeah, conquer another land, find some more free labor.
    I would also like to know how many of those surviving roman bridges have dozens of 14 ton trucks running over them on an hourly basis.
    I think all the Roman trucks were destroyed by the Visigoths---but I could be wrong about that. :p
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    qbrozen said:

imidazol97 said: Not sure how "new" that is since it has "Aaron '14" on the bottom. If it is 4 yrs old, I wonder what it was in reference to.

"Newly-minted" means he was graduating then when I took the picture from a distance in low light at The Ohio State University's graduation of thousands of engineers at the mid-year graduation. The year was 2014. I was amused by the pun (I love puns) and now I see the potential foreshadowing of the lack of precision in engineering when the cap says, "It's good enough.
    Interesting.
    I tried to do a little research and the closest I found was a truss bridge in Washington state that collapsed May 2013. 

Might not have been referring to an incident. I think it is better if just taken on it's own.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

I am sorry to leave, leaving 80+ temps for just above freezing. Can I claim cruel and unusual punishment? The guys say it is brutal being here in July, Aug and Sept, so at least I avoid that.

How many of us here are feeling sympathy for Mr.Driver? Raise your hands.
    Cold in Ohio.

Really liked that post Marco. That is a Genesis G70, sister to the Kia Stinger. No hatch....beautiful interior though the seats look a little overdone. Video is only 1 min 44 seconds.....might be JMonroes next car.

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    We are nothing came through in your posting about
     That you posted above 
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2018
    Crap -- my wife's Forester has been pleasant enough that I've had in the back of my mind getting one of my own with a manual transmission. Oh well. . . Regarding speed limits. Not that anyone gives a s***, but I run with traffic plus a few miles per hour most of the time. That said, where I live, out in the sometimes wide-open West, my rule is that if you can't see any other traffic ahead or behind (in Nevada, that covers a lot of territory), all bets are off. Setting a cruise control at 90 or 110 isn't something that many people have the opportunity to do. I have, and it was great. This goes a ways toward explaining why I think run-flat tires are no substitute for a spare. The towns out there may be able to patch a tire, but that's about it.
    When I drove from Los Angeles to Pennsylvania in 1999, there were many stretches of road that were void of traffic.  I remember mostly Utah, Nebraska and Iowa.  Speed limits were 70 mph - but frequently I’d run the Lexus at 85 mph for quite sometime.  That was one of the reasons I was able to make the trip with just 2 stops - just west of Denver and Joliet, Illinois.  I was in a hurry!
    If you made that trip with just those two stops you must have had one large gas tank and/or you got a lot of miles out of a gallon of gas.
    Obviously I stopped for gas and food too!  :p

I should have said “stopped at motels” twice.

2021 Genesis G90

driver100 said:
    @driver100:

Have a safe trip home, driver.  We’ll miss your contributions to our economy - at least until October/November.  I expect a drop in the stock market Monday due to your departure.  :D
    Thanks Mike. My tennis friends sid Canadians should be allowed to stay 7 months if we spend $5000 in the 7th month. I said that is fine, but, they would have to contribute to the fund. I am sorry to leave, leaving 80+ temps for just above freezing. Can I claim cruel and unusual punishment? The guys say it is brutal being here in July, Aug and Sept, so at least I avoid that. Actually fly back Wednesday.
    You could petition the Secretary of State of the United States - whoever that is - for asylum purposes after dealing with jmonroe.  I am sure you could get some sort of dispensation. :D

2021 Genesis G90

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

jmonroe said:

bwia said:

jmonroe

I apologize that you are as screwed up as the rest of us. My condolences go out to your family. :'(:(

Yes Marco, you are an embarrassment to yourself and your entire family for associating with us !! :s

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    driver100 said:
    Idk I just drive over it this week and wasn’t too fearful! 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    abacomike said:

Crap -- my wife's Forester has been pleasant enough that I've had in the back of my mind getting one of my own with a manual transmission. Oh well. . .

Regarding speed limits. Not that anyone gives a s***, but I run with traffic plus a few miles per hour most of the time. That said, where I live, out in the sometimes wide-open West, my rule is that if you can't see any other traffic ahead or behind (in Nevada, that covers a lot of territory), all bets are off. Setting a cruise control at 90 or 110 isn't something that many people have the opportunity to do. I have, and it was great. This goes a ways toward explaining why I think run-flat tires are no substitute for a spare. The towns out there may be able to patch a tire, but that's about it.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have to top about every 3 hours for a restroom stop. I was kind of admiring the guy for his ability to travel long time between stops.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Crap -- my wife's Forester has been pleasant enough that I've had in the back of my mind getting one of my own with a manual transmission. Oh well. . . Regarding speed limits. Not that anyone gives a s***, but I run with traffic plus a few miles per hour most of the time. That said, where I live, out in the sometimes wide-open West, my rule is that if you can't see any other traffic ahead or behind (in Nevada, that covers a lot of territory), all bets are off. Setting a cruise control at 90 or 110 isn't something that many people have the opportunity to do. I have, and it was great. This goes a ways toward explaining why I think run-flat tires are no substitute for a spare. The towns out there may be able to patch a tire, but that's about it.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have to top about every 3 hours for a restroom stop. I was kind of admiring the guy for his ability to travel long time between stops.
    Imid, I have two humps on my back for storage once my bladder fills.  Remember, “WEDNESDAY IS HUMP DAY!”  :D

2021 Genesis G90

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Thank you all for the kind words and having my back in here that’s really appreciated 

No problem! Just keep on posting we hear you loud and clear.
    Help me out here. I'm watching a Mecum auction and a lot of late 70s sports cars like Cameros are up for sale. What's the alure of a 79' Camero? It had under 200hp in the Z28 that year.

Do people buy them and swap out the engine or what?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    If you people think that bridge is bad, you really need to take the George Washington bridge onto the cross Bronx. Few things top that mess.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    @stickguy,
    I think they've been working on some of those ramps since the 60's.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

driver100 said:

It isn't just the age of the bridge....it is the way the lanes converge and the feeling you get. Is it my imagination or does it feel like the car is sliding around on the metal surface? The bridge is also a bottleneck, I forget all the reasons why, and you have to be careful to be in the right lane.

More than 750 word warning. Bridge talk warning.

Are you talking about southbound or northbound with the manner of the convergence of the lanes? NB there's one lane merging on from Covington with a wide and fairly long merge.You are under the bridge holding the southbound lanes above you. The surface is concrete but lanes have shrunk in width. With with the height and being covered and the narrow lanes, a little clostrophobic in nature. At the north end, one must be in the correct pair out of 4 lanes--2 go right to I71 and 2 go left to I75. Otherwise, you'll see a crosstown freeway connector a few miles up that lets you cross between I71 and I75 which are about 4 miles apart.

On the other hand southbound two lanes from I75 merge with 2 or 3 lanes from the left which is I71 and go across the open top of the bridge as 4 lanes IIRC. At the south end of the bridge the 4 lanes remain 4 lanes as an exit goes off to Covington's MainStrasse village area.

This is the part for me......."The surface is concrete but lanes have shrunk in width. With with the height and being covered and the narrow lanes, a little clostrophobic in nature. At the north end, one must be in the correct pair out of 4 lanes--2 go right to I71 and 2 go left to I75" and it is particularly bad at rush hour. It is hard to change lanes if you have to and claustrophobic is the right word...you are enclosed in a steel bridge

Going South has never been a problem, but we usually do that in the mid afternoon. Going North we get there between 3 and 4 p.m and it is starting to get busy. I now know to be in the left lane, so I don't have to try and move over in heavy traffic.

I don't look forward to that bridge and getting through Atlanta, though, there is usually some other major problems during the 24 hours of actual driving time to do that trip.

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

@driver100:

Have a safe trip home, driver.  We’ll miss your contributions to our economy - at least until October/November.  I expect a drop in the stock market Monday due to your departure.  :D

Thanks Mike. My tennis friends sid Canadians should be allowed to stay 7 months if we spend $5000 in the 7th month. I said that is fine, but, they would have to contribute to the fund.

Actually fly back Wednesday.

You could petition the Secretary of State of the United States - whoever that is - for asylum purposes after dealing with jmonroe.  I am sure you could get some sort of dispensation. :D

I agree...........just for reading those marathon length posts.

Actually, for years Canadians are trying to get the stay expanded to 7 months. It has come close to getting through Congress but there has always been an emergency....budget, an election, etc. But, it has gained a lot of support, especially states like New York, Florida, Arizona, so, if they can make some time to do it it would get done....then we could stay an extra 4 weeks.

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

Idk I just drive over it this week and wasn’t too fearful! 

Even slightly fearful isn't good. It is even worse after being on the road 8 hours from Toronto, or on the road for 8 hours coming from Atlanta....you start to get tired around then.

No one ever apologized to me. :@

jmonroe

There isn't any apology that could make up for what we put up with, from you! :p

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

Help me out here. I'm watching a Mecum auction and a lot of late 70s sports cars like Cameros are up for sale. What's the alure of a 79' Camero? It had under 200hp in the Z28 that year.

I'd like a 1980 Z/28, but I'd either drop in a crate motor or else seriously massage the stock 350 SBC- a cam, intake, carburetor, and a true dual exhaust would wake things up considerably.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555

I have a strange obsession with the GM G-Body cars, particularly the Monte Carlo SS and the Grand Nationals. In the case of the former it had a carbureted V8 that put out only180HP but you could easily drop a 350 in one. I've found some very clean Monte Carlo SS's over the years but the timing was always bad.....oh well, maybe some year I'll get one.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
     We are don’t worry no hard feelings or anything we’re taking ever I’m cool like Jay Monro said I am messed up and grabbed like everyone else in here I love to joke around and laugh nothing really offends me at all 
     You were all funny guys enjoyed reading the comments above and sending messages to dealers like crazy gonna keep at it attempting to get a job in the automotive field would be a dream come true no reason why with today’s technology I can’t work any dealership in the customer service end of it to keep the fight to get what you want in life and don’t let anyone tell you know the only thing I really can do is drive obviously for legal reasons 
     And also because I wouldn’t want to harm my self and other people driving ha ha big part of it to one day if they perfect those self driving cars would be right up my alley 
     Yes driver 100 that car definitely be Jay Monro‘s next ride when he traded in his current car and also you might trade in the wife’s legacy soon too I thought I read recent comments above ha ha Ha 
     Don’t worry old former don’t get your boxers in a twist they could apologize to just because if you would like ha ha Ha 
     Very nice Mustang explorer is that a green color with a white top looks like that to me very nice house that battery is it ready to go very nice you have an automatic cool do you change all the fluids in the car once in a while every couple of years just wondering if I should do that with my 61 Thunderbird soon I bought the transmission fluid and change your oil once a year: changed last year 
     I copied the picture above explore my cousin I sent it to him he said that’s not a must think that’s the same car like you have seen exact color I couldn’t really tell in the picture just saw that color do you happen to have a Thunderbird to in the mustang? I was shocked when he sent me a message back telling me that 
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    Help me out here. I'm watching a Mecum auction and a lot of late 70s sports cars like Cameros are up for sale. What's the alure of a 79' Camero? It had under 200hp in the Z28 that year. Do people buy them and swap out the engine or what?
    Rose-colored glasses.

swapping the engine would drop the value considerably.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    pensfan83 said:

I have a strange obsession with the GM G-Body cars, particularly the Monte Carlo SS and the Grand Nationals. In the case of the former it had a carbureted V8 that put out only180HP but you could easily drop a 350 in one. I've found some very clean Monte Carlo SS's over the years but the timing was always bad.....oh well, maybe some year I'll get one.
    I did, too ... when I was in college.

Never acted on it, either.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Nice horse 
    Lol lol lol  all
     Agree on the George Washington bridge being a mess all the time few times I’ve gone with parents and whatever it’s a big-time mess in traffic like crazy 
    pensfan83 said:

Now that I understand, I have a similar fondness for early 90s Chrysler Lebaron convertibles. Certainly not for performance but for the body style and for weekend cruising.

pensfan83 said:

Now that I understand, I have a similar fondness for early 90s Chrysler Lebaron convertibles. Certainly not for performance but for the body style and for weekend cruising.

Is this an example of a sought after GM G Body?

That was when GM was riding high.
    I had a 79 Cutlass that was pretty good, and then an 81 that was a great car, but the smaller V8 was pretty anemic.
    Note, the large windows and low hood...I was into visibility even back then;

bwia said:

Don't beat yourself up. A while back I inadvertently insulted Sandman while trying to defend his free speech rights. You didn't know.