Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 HHR wheel bearing

wayneh707wayneh707 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2018 in Chevrolet
So trying to replace my front passenger wheel bearing on my 08 HHR. Parts store says it's a 5x110mm lug pattern and my car has 5x105mm. Any one else have this issue?

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Do you have the old bearing to look at? Does it have a manufacturer's name and part #? If so, that's how I'd match it up.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    edited April 2018
    Are you measuring correctly! I have a 2008 Cobalt, which is the same vehicle roughly. I have the 16 in allow wheels. I measured mine and the distance is 110 mm on my 5 bolt rim. So I was curious how many various bearing hubs GM used for that year... in case I have one go bad--knock on wood that I don't.

Are you starting at the BACK of one lug and measuring to the diagonal lug's MIDDLE? I found this referenced more than one place on legitimate sites, so I believe it's correct.

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/measure-wheel-5-lug.html

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited April 2018
    Another source for when questions occur about GM AC Delco parts--there is an ACDelco.com site with a very good set of look up info on variations in parts. Just distinguish that their Advanctage parts are a competition low line to compete with the Chinese products. Professional and OEM lines are what I believe more standard. The OEM and Professional levels sometimes have the variations in parts type or quality that were parts of optional packages.

Checking part numbers on the site allowed me to distinguish between brake pads and rotors on Amazon and Ebay, e.g..

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100

Are you measuring correctly! I have a 2008 Cobalt, which is the same vehicle roughly. I have the 16 in allow wheels. I measured mine and the distance is 110 mm on my 5 bolt rim. So I was curious how many various bearing hubs GM used for that year... in case I have one go bad--knock on wood that I don't.

Are you starting at the BACK of one lug and measuring to the diagonal lug's MIDDLE? I found this referenced more than one place on legitimate sites, so I believe it's correct.

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/measure-wheel-5-lug.html

Is that just a trick to approximate the actual diameter of the circle? Seems that bigger head bolts would distort the calculation if so..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I don't know if it's meant to estimate what the true circle's diameter would be. I'll see if I can do some trigonometry to decide that. But I seem to recall from 20 or more years back looking at how to get replacement steel wheels, and that oddity in measuring method came up--my numbers didn't match the correct numbers.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100

I don't know if it's meant to estimate what the true circle's diameter would be. I'll see if I can do some trigonometry to decide that. But I seem to recall from 20 or more years back looking at how to get replacement steel wheels, and that oddity in measuring method came up--my numbers didn't match the correct numbers.

Yeah.. if you make the bolt heads bigger, it changes the measurement... that's why I wondered.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Using you vehicle identification number, call the dealer parts department and get the price and part number for a replacement hub bearing. Then have the parts store cross reference the aftermarket part.
    http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

The ACDelco.com site also can start with the VIN when you aren't sure
    the other selection menu gets you to the right part.