Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Best small SUV

nyfan24nyfan24 Member Posts: 3
edited April 2018 in General
My wife (68 years old) is looking at small SUV's for neighborhood suburban driving and taking our new grandson around in a rear facing car seat. Looking primarily for safety and getting the baby in and out.
Any suggestions/comments where we should focus our attention?
Thanks much guys.

Comments

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Is price going to be a factor?
  • Options
    nyfan24nyfan24 Member Posts: 3
    Not for a first go around. Willing to pay more for a better fit/option. Thx.
  • Options
    biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    edited April 2018
    Volvo XC40. I will be 68 very shortly and I'm about to buy one, I think. Trading in or selling my beloved 2005 350z Roadster. We have a Volvo V70 and like it very much. I have test-driven or researched a bunch of smallish to mid-size SUVs and crossovers, test drove the Volvo yesterday (actually drove both the XC60 and the 40), and really enjoyed driving the 40. Great size for city parking but still has respectable cargo area. All the latest safety technology should do a grandma's heart right. And it's fun to drive, and has a ton of well-thought-out storage cubbies.

Another nice thing: I am 5'4", and could enter the XC40 by sitting sideways on the seat, then swinging both legs in. The XC60 was just a bit too tall to do that. As we get into the years when our creaking joints might be an issue, I liked that ease of entry.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    edited April 2018
    I'll be looking at the Mazda CX-5, the 2019 Forester, and the 2019 Toyota Rav4.
  • Options
    alertalert1alertalert1 Member Posts: 3
    How is the reliability of the Volvo?

We are also looking for a small safe and reliable SUV (just the two of us empty nesters.) We like the SUV as you are sitting higher up and can see better without being blocked by all the other SUVs on the road these days. We were really interested in the Honda CRV but we have just read some negative news about the oil dilution problem.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    My Opinion:

Subcompact SUV -- Kia Soul

Compact -- Mazda CX-5

Compact Luxury--Porsche Macan

Mid-Size -- Mazda CX-9

Mid-Size Lux -- Audi Q7

• Options
    rickdonrickdon Member Posts: 123
    Subaru Forester offers good visibility since it has large windows.
  • Options
    enrico17enrico17 Member Posts: 14
    Go for a compact Mazda CX-5.