Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Losing power when accelerating on 2nd and upper gears around 1500 to 2000 RPMs

rvanderlaanrvanderlaan Member Posts: 3
edited April 2018 in Toyota
Hey folks,

I have a 2004 Matrix and I'm losing power when accelerating on 2nd and upper gears around 1500 to 2000 RPMs.
The car starts to shake and doesn't accelerate as well as before.
It goes away after around 20 minutes of driving but, it's getting worse - I probably should stop until I sort that out.

Do you know what should I do?

I was thinking on the spark plugs, but not sure.
More info: I'm from Winnipeg, and the problem started when it was -10 C outside - probably not related as I never had this problem even with -30 C outside.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You're right, you need to sort it out. I suppose spark plugs are a cheap "guess" and if you can't even remember when they were last replaced, it's certainly worth at least extracting them and having a look.

But the list of possibilities is very long here, ranging from tune up issues like spark plugs and cables (suggesting you have a misfire) to such things as a clogging catalytic converter to fuel delivery issues (clogged fuel filter, defective fuel pressure regulator, defective fuel pump).

Without the right diagnostic tools in place, you'd be working in the dark. You could have the car scanned for trouble codes (not all problems light the CEL, and not all problems store a code, however). but very often with these types of "intermittent" problems you have to have things like a spark tester and fuel pressure tester on hand for when the problem is actually happening.
  • rvanderlaanrvanderlaan Member Posts: 3
    Thanks @Mr_Shiftright!

Update:

I got my car scanned and showed that cylinder 1 has a misfire.
    As well as a known catalytic converter not fully operative (previous mechanic told me not to worry about it).

I'll give one more update by the end of the day as I'm going to take it for a detailed check.

The problem seems to be on lower RPMs as when I extend the gear a little bit more, I don't have the issue.
  • rvanderlaanrvanderlaan Member Posts: 3
    Hey folks,

The problem was caused by an old spark plug.
    The mechanic also found some water on the surroundings so, they also replaced the valve cover gasket set.

Problem solved!