Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Tired slow, lotsa miles---$1,500 is more than generous.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    I have a problem with the use of the word "stellar" here.
    https://ebay.to/2IjqqHE

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Maybe a typo...Sell her? Seller? Cellar?
    Solid wheels.
    Linc, "Solid!"
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    Oh well, Beverly Hills Car Club. Where does he find this stuff? Dinged up bumpers, broken door handle, missing door panels, missing carpet, misaligned trunk lid, slapdash paint, anemic B16, 3-main bearing engine, wrong coil wiring, wrong fuse box lid, broken exhaust, rusted valve cover, leaking differential, old bushings.

Condition: 4 minus Value: $3500-$4000 (if you even want a B16--the crankshafts snap).
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    Gotta love car flippers doing to the market what house flippers have done to real estate.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    edited April 2018
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    Imagine the disappointment every time you get asked to open the hood.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    You know though, that slant six banger probably drives better in everyday traffic than a 440, and particularly a Hemi form that era. But I know what you mean. Rides like a Caddy heh? Now that is hyperbole at its best :p
    I think Gerry needs to revise his appraisal on the GTO, or did he miss the incorrect parts, body damage and rust? I'd say he's off by $10K.

The '67 Belvedere isn't off too much on price-- a few thou high--but it would be a good candidate for a transplant.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I totally agree on the GTO! What's with the primer hood? Not the best year and worst of all, the RUST! I'm no appraiser but I think even 20,000 is too much. Just not the "right" car, year, color, options or anything else.
    Depends on whether or not it's a real Ram Air or not. It's a heap. for sure. I was viewing in the best possible light.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    well, the GTO is a 4 speed car. that is a big plus. I also assume that you are staring at a complete strip and redo on that one, just based on the rust you can see (which is usually just a small portion of the rust you will find.

and I doubt the fully restored value on that car would be worth the cost of a ground up restoration.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Listed on another site that GTO is advertised as NOM engine as well.
    This is not a numbers matching car but is fitted with a period correct block. $32,995
    Poor guy--he'll never get anywhere near that price. Might as well not even bother to advertise. He might hang a price tag of $18,500 on it and see what happens. If he got offered $16K he should consider it if no other offers are forthcoming.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,282
    Long Island Craigs

https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/mercedes-benz-82-imported/6523597600.html People love these. I don't get them

https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/1982-lincoln-towncar/6550717635.html "Totallu rebuilt engine" Looks like it's held up pretty well for what it is

https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/1963-mercury-comet-2-door/6548043248.html Rat rod candidate

https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/1965-plymouth-satellite/6548336130.html A bit of an underrated Mopar trying to get in on Mopar-mania pricing

https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/1982-ferrari-308-gtb-coupe/6550543372.html Something exotic. Lots of work. Price decent?

https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/1975-fiat-124-spider/6541497160.html Barn find + easy resto Fiat Spider

https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/1970-gmc-c20/6550428021.html Old truck mania. Seller says he doesn't have the room, but looks like he has plenty of room
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    I doubt that fiat is an easy restore. Could probs be upside down by the time you got the mechanis, chassis and interior sorted. And that is before spending a fortune on a strip and repaint.

White is weird to see on one of these too.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    I think I see some Great Stuff underneath the Fiat in one of those pictures.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I like the color of the G, but don't think a manual would be fun, and be leery with early ones as they can be a magnet for body rust.
    '82 Ferrari 308GTB -- if it passes inspection, it's a fair price. Expect to be humiliated at a stop light by a new Honda minivan, however.

'75 Fiat --a rat. Parts car.
    Seller says he doesn't have the room, but looks like he has plenty of room

Reminds me of an advertising spot line on Chicago radio when I was young. I believe it was Arnie Yussim Chevrolet, or something like that, that used the tag line "I'd like to give 'em away, but the wife won't let me" B)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    "MadMan Muntz" used to say the same thing! Anyone remember him?

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    edited April 2018
    I wonder how that SEC rides, given the lowered suspension and lower-profile tires. And $35K+ for a 450SL? Wow. I'd rather have the 560SL, plenty at that price or below.
    Depending on the shocks, maybe not bad. Probably no harsher than my car with "sport" suspension and runflats. I worry most about the dash cracks - I suspect that job will be at least $1500 for parts and labor to replace, if you can find a new pad. The wood will be easy, and I even have an original head unit for that car just laying around.

For 107s, I think the most desirable are the best 560s, and the earliest 350/450s, pre-74. They bring much more in Europe than here.
    fintail said:
    It's hard to price "time capsule" cars with such low miles. But I can't see any 450SL worth more than a pristine 560SL, as the 560SL is a superior car in every way imaginable, yet looks pretty much the same. So let's say "all the money" for the 450SL is $20K.

The 560SEC isn't even considered collectible, but I think it's a nice car for cheap. I don't see why a really nice one couldn't bring $12K or maybe even $15K.

Of course, the downside of all these 80s Mercedes is that repair costs will just kill you, and you could easily run up bills that would equal the original purchase price.

Hence, they remain relatively cheap, even though they are really nice riding, well-built cars. Well, except for the 450SL which is a dog if I ever saw one.
    they have already doubled that "all the money" on the SL. Crazy.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

First Amendment rights being exercised by the seller. God bless America. Free speech! :p
    "MadMan Muntz" used to say the same thing! Anyone remember him?

I vaguely remember the car from back in the 50's. Was he involved with Courtesy Ford in Chicago. I think they handled Muntz there. For that matter, I seem to recall Muntz TV and radios too.
    The 450SL, if it is as good as it looks, will bring 50K in Europe without effort. The small bumper/pre emissions junk cars are desirable, it is the 75-77 models that are most troublesome, IIRC.

I think even 12-15K for the SEC is too much, given its needs. Nice ones with no issues hit the MBCA Star classifieds for maybe 15K, and you know how devotees can price their cars. I'd be leery passing 10K, and would need to budget in for the dash repair. The issue with those isn't just maintenance, but fuel economy - turning it into a daily driver will have fuel costs like a modern SUV.

It's hard to price "time capsule" cars with such low miles. But I can't see any 450SL worth more than a pristine 560SL, as the 560SL is a superior car in every way imaginable, yet looks pretty much the same. So let's say "all the money" for the 450SL is $20K.

The 560SEC isn't even considered collectible, but I think it's a nice car for cheap. I don't see why a really nice one couldn't bring $12K or maybe even $15K.

Of course, the downside of all these 80s Mercedes is that repair costs will just kill you, and you could easily run up bills that would equal the original purchase price.

Hence, they remain relatively cheap, even though they are really nice riding, well-built cars. Well, except for the 450SL which is a dog if I ever saw one.

I didn't really read the description on the 560SEC.

The 450SL is simply an awful car. If you gave me one, I'd flip it in a day.

I'd have imagined an early 380SL would be more troublesome than an early or late run 450SL,
    edited April 2018
    Probably, with that timing chain defect on the 380SL. The early 350SL and earlier 450SL certainly looked better than the later fat-bumper ones, and the earlier ones didn't have that complex climate control system either--another monster to deal with on most W107s.
    Early 380SL also isn't the most powerful - and these aren't terribly fast to begin with. Small bumpers and traditional controls are where it's at. For my own personal taste (I have no plans to buy a 107), I'd have no problem with an early car just as much as a 560.

Yes, either end of the spectrum. But a W107 isn't in my future either.
    And that color combo - green on parchment, hard to beat that.

Reminds me of this car - even more expensive when new, and another stylish color combo. It brought but 6K at the auction mentioned in the ad, way back in 2009:

First Amendment rights being exercised by the seller. God bless America. Free speech! :p

That's not the seller, though. Those are the buyers bidding it up.

Oh I thought it was for sale for $40K. I give up trying to make sense of bids like this. The car's even been repainted! As for mileage authentication, the seller has an "affidavit" from the original owner--so fingers crossed on that.

Perhaps it's a European bid, as fintail suggests? Euro is strong right now, isn't it, against the USD?
    edited April 2018
    The comments on the 450 are hilarious in their search for perfection. I read them and hear German accents.

I remember one guy who had a beautifully restored SL. He was explaining to me how difficult it was to have the electrical diagrams on the relays in the fuse box, reproduced accurately in the right color ink. He then pointed out the grommet that holds the windshield washer fluid bag on a small hook, and noted that the grommet was the proper bronze color, and "NOT the reproduction aluminum grommet!"

I'm not making this up. And yeah, it sold for a whoppin' $150K.

Perfection is important to some people, although I think we do reach a point of scariness regarding the inner recesses of the human mind.
    The Euro has gained nearly 20% on the USD in the past 2 years IIRC, although not nearly at recession levels. However, the cars bring a lot more in Europe, and one like this is a lot cheaper than a quality restoration. Also, the luggage is very cool and is worth a bit itself.
    Both seat cushions have been re-stuffed with OEM material.
    What is "OEM material" for Mercedes seats circa 1973? Seller seems to rather avoid calling it out - whatever it is.

I'd still like to have a Gucci Seville with the luggage. I'd pass on the green Granada Mercedes.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    omarman said:
    Both seat cushions have been re-stuffed with OEM material. What is "OEM material" for Mercedes seats circa 1973? Seller seems to rather avoid calling it out - whatever it is. I'd still like to have a Gucci Seville with the luggage. I'd pass on the green Granada Mercedes.
    Never knew this existed.  Around the same time Lincoln had the Cartier, Bill Blass, Pucci and Givenchy editions of the Mark V. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Some people today would want that Gucci Seville .

I am not sure if 70s MBs had horsehair or foam seat stuffing, but whatever it is kind of deflates with time, and you often see wrinkles on period cars, especially 116s.
    Found a car for ya, Fin.
    as long as I don't grab it first. ;)
     https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/725772028/overview?aff=share_other

Nice car, but the color combo would put me in an asylum, and those are from what I call the "head bolt era", so I will have to pass. It's all yours ! B)
    I hate black/black, too, but these don't exactly grow on trees.

So what of head bolts?

Could be the reputation (deserved or not) of Mercedes head bolt problems on 6.3 M156 engines.
    AMG cars of the late 00s, with the M156, have a reputation, apparently deserved, of "stretched" head bolt issues. MBWorld and Benzworld have many tales of woe. There were some cars done under warranty (now far too old to even get goodwill, I think), and there are aftermarket kits to address it, but it is an Achilles heel on these cars, and if it hasn't been addressed, I'd want to budget for it even if the failure rate isn't 100%.

I know the NA engines are cool in their big and bad way, but if I wanted a car like this, I'd save a little/spend a little more and get a later turbo V8 car.
    Heck, i would probably do something like that preemptively. If you wait till failure, it would involve replacing the head gaskets, too, likely. Do it beforehand and you could avoid removing the heads. Could be a fairly easy job (yes, I am sure I am kidding myself on any modern car).

fintail said:

AMG cars of the late 00s, with the M156, have a reputation, apparently deserved, of "stretched" head bolt issues. MBWorld and Benzworld have many tales of woe. There were some cars done under warranty (now far too old to even get goodwill, I think), and there are aftermarket kits to address it, but it is an Achilles heel on these cars, and if it hasn't been addressed, I'd want to budget for it even if the failure rate isn't 100%.

Hmm. From reading online forums for years I assumed this was unique to GM's Northstar engines. Glad to see German engineers are not immune.