Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

Comments

• gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Saw an interview with the L/M super honcho in yeaterday's Trib.

Swore up and down that they're not killing Mercury as it's still profitable

Of course, they are killing the Mystique, Tracer, and Cougar. For a replacement, we get the Marauder 4dr. At one time, a straight line thunderbuggy would have attracted me (60's) but even then, my tastes were a little more refined and I wanted some handling & road manners to go along with the acceleration. Large wasn't exactly a plus for me either, and I've never owned a 4dr, nor do I have any intention of doing so.

Lincoln, however, gets 3 new badges to play with.

Hmmmm, let's see here. Eliminate everything that might attract the younger, less affluent buyer, and return to total duffer mode except for a bit of retro appeal in one model. Give all the new stuff to the other brand (nothing small or sophisticated, mind you) and see what happens.

Forecast:
    1. Lincoln makes a ton of money off people who don't know any better.
    2. Mercury sales and profits drop like a rock because there's nothing to differentiate it from anything else, and no high appeal/good value model on the floor.
    3. When it comes time for Skip to go car shopping again, he won't be at a Mercury dealer.

You never know, Dodge might be my first repeat mfgr. in 40 years of car buying. (I did have a Challenger, but that was really a Mitsi.)

Skip G.
  • genajgenaj Member Posts: 5
    Fish 8: Right after I purchased my cougar I took it to the car wash. I brought it home to vaccume it and discoverd the passenger side floor board was filled with water. It had been raining so I thought the water had came from the rain. I took the car back to the dealership they said something about the sunroof wasn't hooked up correctly which caused the leak. It has not leaked since I got it back. After reading your message I'm wondering if the car wash was the problem the whole time instead of the sunroof. I also have a vibration in my car which I can not stand (the car's brand new) I want it to drive perfectly. The dealership said the tires were out of balance. They balance all tires but the vibration is still there. But even with these aggravations I love my Cougar! I am 37 years old and I wanted a car that would help me feel younger. The Cougar definatly does this. I get looks and question about my car all the time. Alot of people have trouble figureing out what kind of car it is. I am glad there are only a few of them on the road I like being different. I love driving my Cougar its a v6 and has more power than any other car I've owned. I hope I don't have any major problems with this car because I have high expectation for it. I am interested in the lemon law thing just in case I do have problems. Thanks for posting that infomation.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    genaj: I have had no problems with water leakage. I have had problems with vibration though.

I wonder if MWS is still around? Maybe he can help with the vibration issue? MWS?
  • genajgenaj Member Posts: 5
    fish 8 I was responding to the messages posted by burnsmr4 on the car wash issue and the lemon law. sorry I read the sender wrong. Thanks for the response though.
    No problem!
  • camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    Badulah:

WELCOME BACK!

Smc7:

I'd would have gone with the dark grey metallic if it had been available on the 2000.
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    We talked about how to change the brake pad calipers and spark plug springs on ZN cougars. We also talked about the gear ratios and the best shift points for maximum torque transition in supercharged turbo-cougars. Finally, we compared yokohama vs pirelli all-sport, hypotraction, split-differential tires. It was a very intelligent and engaging chat for the avid cougar enthusiast. We hope to see more of you next week.

(Uhm..yea, that's what we talked about....yes we did...)
  • camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    LOL!
  • cwaligoracwaligora Member Posts: 16
    I had to drop back in to pass along a suspicion I feel may well be a matter of fact. This revelation may not be news to those who have already figured this out. You may have been wondering why you still heard reports about testing being done on the high performance 3.0L all wheel drive platform for the Cougar, even though it's going to be cancelled soon. The Mondeo platform which spawned the now defunct Contour and Mystique, and soon to be defunct Cougar cost Ford $6 billion dollars to develop. They are not going to just cut their losses. They are going to at least attempt to recoup them. The Cougar was a great way to accomplish this since this type of vehicle made way better sense for this platform in this market (North America). But sales for whatever reason have been way too slow recently. And there are much higher profit margins in other vehicle categories. They can't justify selling us the Cougar S - a niche vehicle of a slow selling product in a small market segment with narrow profit margins - even with the cost savings of using the already developed SVT Contour mechanicals, when they can make much larger profits using all of this development work and money in a much more profitable vehicle category. I was reading an article in the February 13 edition of AMI Auto World Weekly about a new all wheel drive vehicle derived from the Ford Motor Company's Mondeo platform. It will source it's 2.5L 194 horsepower (sound familiar) and 3.0L 231 horsepower engines from a plant in Cleveland which only has so many to go around (not enough left over for Cougar S). If you've got an extra ten grand to spend (I know I don't), then grab your checkbook and get in line. The Cougar S is now called the Jaguar X-Type. This higher price may or may not be accounted for with the Jaguar body and do-dads. But basically, everything that was meant for the Cougar S, from the original prototypes 3.0L all wheel drive to the 2.5L from the SVT Contour that was originally watered down from 200 horsepower to 196 and now 194 is here on the same platform. Coincidence? I don't think so. This is not inside information, just a deduction. You may think the brand managers are being up front with you. But they are not allowed to discuss future product, even if the facts are published for all the world to see, unless they are told they can. That's probably why you haven't heard anything from them since the Cougar S was officially cancelled. It looks as though all the trim pieces like the gauges that light up blue at night and the metal pedals that would have made the Cougar S unique have already been divvied up amongst what's left of the Cougar line up. Please don't kill the messenger. I feel just as betrayed about this as you do. I have been waiting since the original prototype was introduced and even had an order in for one of these for what seems like the longest time. I am now like you trying to find a comparable alternative (200 horsepower front wheel drive sport coupe priced around $20K). The problem is, there are none from Ford Motor Company (Mitsubishi Eclipse, Dodge Stratus R/T, Chrysler Sebring LXi, Honda Accord Coupe, Honda Prelude, Oldsmobile Alero, Pontiac Grand Am, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Toyota Solara, Volkswagen GTI). You get the idea. These are all good candidates, but each one is lacking in one-way or another (looks, space under the front seats for rear seat passengers feet, braking, weight, acceleration,...). The Cougar in it's present form, although priced right, doesn't have enough power. I have to make a decision soon because my 1990 Probe GT which has served me well for over 11 years is getting long in the tooth. They could just rebadge the Cougar a Ford since the handwriting is on the wall for Mercury anyway. But I don't think they want the Jaguar X-Type's doors blown off by a Cougar S that sells for a lot less and brings in a lot less profit. Wish me luck on finding a replacement. We're all going to need it.
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    If a 4-wheel drive 3 liter coupe appears on the Mondeo platform, I'm going for it no matter what it's called. That car has the potential to be fun.

Besides, Jaguar owners are used to having pieces fall off their cars.
  • badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    Gambit:
    You forgot to mention our brief conversation on internal combustion detonation and the long term effects it has on your engine. Although brief, it was very informative.

cwaligora
    Ok you may be right about the "S" being a testing bed for the Jag, but what difference does it make? The Cougar-S is kaput, and that is what a lot of us were looking forward to. I can't afford a Jag, I can't even afford the insurance on a Jag, so this speculation (if it comes true) doesn't help me, and I'm sure a lot of others feel the same way.

Also, the concept "S" was equipped with all wheel drive and a 3.0L V6. Both of these were dropped early on, and the would-be production "S" was a front wheel driver with a hyped up 2.5L Duratech.

I don't mean to sound snippy with you. This is just a real sore subject for a lot of us. It will take some time for the disappointment to fade away.
  • krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    Hi everyone. Been a while since I posted (although I read the posts every day).

A while back someone described a rattle in the vicinity of the air bag on the passenger side (duct for vent??) Does anyone know a do-it-yourself fix for this?
    Nice flag, eh?
    (Badulah gets up on top of his desk, stands up straight, and clears his throat)

O say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
    What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight, O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.

O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
    It might of been me that mentioned the rattles located in the passenger airbag vacinity. This is only one rattle I was able to fix and unfortunately several others have sprouted up in it's place!!!!

Here's what I did to fix it: Open your glove box and place your hand in the opening between the upper part of the glove box(lip) and the edge of the dash. If you put your hand up in the dash board you will feel a plastic vent. Pull the vent towards the rear of the car gently but firmly. Mine sort of snapped in. It appears the vent had come loose. I hope this helps. Please ask if you need more help!!
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    Hey, folks,

Hope everyone is having a nice, albeit a very winter-like March 2001.

FLAGS: Like those national flags -- is that an Edmunds.com profile feature or something you added to your profile as a photo option?

WATER LEAKS: Well, it rained like chicks crying during "Steel Magnolias" here in Atlanta yesterday. Luckily, the window leaks on my '99 Cougar V-6 appear to crop up only (a) in automatic carwashes and (b) when 45mph wind gusts force rainwater in while the car is parked. The latter happened yesterday.

NEW COUPE IN THE WORKS: Did anyone fork out more than $20K for a loaded Cougar in 1999? Just curious. Between then and now, you might have saved enough extra to plop down $26K for the upcoming Mercedes-Benz C-class coupe (a.k.a. hatchback in the vein of the BMW 318ti). It arrives in the U.S. this summer.

6-speed manual transmission, glass roof with automatic sunshades, and tons of standard safety features. It comes with a Kompressor engine, which I guess means supercharged. Also standard traction and skid protection control systems. Check it out in last week's issue of AutoWeek.

BADULAH -- WEB VIDEO: Badulah -- get in touch with me if you're still interested in posting/hosting some web video from Cougar events.

Y'all have a nice week.
    Never mind my earlier question -- Edmunds.com Town Hall automatically answered it ;-)
    Sounds like a good deal, but I bet the insurance here in NJ will be sky high.

Legal robbery is what it is!!
    I am not sure the reliability of a Mercedes Benz is any better than our cars. My Mom drives a '99 MB E320 and that thing is in the shop all the time. It leaks oil, gas guage doesn't work properly, parts break in the car(cup holder), etc....an so on. The new MB is sweet though!!!!
    Lets not forget about the cost of maintenance on MBs. I know that is an expense I don't need.
    They are very expensive to maintain. But, They do come with free maintenance for 4years or 50,000 miles.
    Thats not a bad deal, but for me that wouldn't take long. I already have 45,000 on the Cat.

I guess I could get one and trade it in for a BMW after three years.

>8-)
    Those points about the maintenance are interesting. I was shocked to hear about the '99 E-class, Fish8. The warranty and free service, though, sound neato. Don't forget that all MBs will start coming with TeleAid (a.k.a. the German version of OnStar) standard. I'm also prone to evaluating maintenace costs in terms of time spent in the shop, which is more important to me than the dollar amount.

Anyway -- how much did folks spend on loaded '99 Cougars? Anyone spend over $22K? I'm just curious, given that a luxury manufacturer like Mercedes is beginning to drop MSRP prices on similar vehicles into the mid-$20K range. If they don't sell well (like the BMW 318ti), then the price point could drop further.

Makes you wonder how the market has changed so much for these kinds of cars in the past 2+ years.
    I got my Cat for $17,500, a real steel. I don't have the following options:

- Traction control (Would have gotten it, but the boob of a salesmen said it wasn't available with the MTX)
    - Leather
    - Full power seat
    - ATX (Don't need to comment on why I didn't get this)
    - Side Air bags (were not available at the time)

Thanks, fish8, I'll give it a try.
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    got mine for $18,500 out the door (tx, title, etc.. included)

2 years+ & 20K miles, and I still don't have any rattles or leaks.

Cougars are getting common around here. I see at least 3 every morning on my commute, and they're not necessarily the same three. Even saw another gold one like mine, and that's rare.

Skip G.
    burnsmr4: Unfortunately, my Mom's car did not come with the free maintenance. I think they offered that the next year('00). My Dad replaced the front brake pads at about 18K miles and it costs around $400. Thats big bucks!!! My Dad will never buy another MB again. He regrets not buying her a Lexus. Oh Well!!! I don't feel sorry for him at all ;-) Also, I'm not sure if my Mom's experience with her car is commen or not. I was just giving me experience with the brand.

Skip: I am glad to hear you have not experienced any rattles in your car. I wonder why some cars have them and other don't?
  • harbachjharbachj Member Posts: 51
    The auto website Autosite (www.autosite.com) includes a Market Research Report which lists sales data for almost all cars sold in the US. The Cougar is listed 19th under sporty cars with sales in Feb 2001 of 2109 units (vs. 3251 last year). Sales so far this year are 4009 vs 5493 last year. So sales are off, but the Cougar sold more than if Feb. than the Audi A4, Pontiac Firebird, Acura Integra, Honda Prelude, or Mazda Miata. Interesting.

Jim H.
    Imagine how many they would sell if they advertised?

Now there's a a thought!!
    Last Friday night when I was coming home from a hockey game I heard an odd noise coming from the drivers side near the rear tire. When I would hit 75-80mph I would hear this slight knocking or banging noise. It sounded like some wires were banging against the wheel well or something. This would only happen at speeds above 70mph. Ideas?
  • sdmartin4sdmartin4 Member Posts: 3
    We're thinking of buying a 2001 Cougar. Here's what we're considering: Sport and convenience options, power seat, leather, side air bags. We wanted the moon roof but my 6'2" husband doesn't fit. Without it he does, but not with much room. Any suggestions? Other people have the fit problem? We did a test drive yesterday and I liked the 5-speed. Without the options it looks a little stripped.

Seems I've heard the earlier years had some problems--not screwed together too well. Have things improved? What do you make of the Consumer Reports review? How does the paint on the darker colors hold up? Does the 5-speed really get the 23/34 mpg promised?

Any advice you'd like to pass along we'll surely consider.

... from sunny San Diego!
  • louf22louf22 Member Posts: 18
    I'm 6'2" and got a 01 Cougar about a month ago. I've got the sport and convenience packages and the 5spd. No moonroof. I got plenty of headroom but I have the seatback reclined a bit so I get more of the straight arms out I like in driving. I think the fit is just about perfect. I've had no problems but only have about 1000 miles on it.

I'm skeptical of 34mpg on the highway but am getting nearly 24mpg around town. I've got the V6. I had a 98 Contour with the same engine/transmission and only got about 28mpg highway. The Cougar shares about 70% of its parts with the Contour.

Now that I've got it about broken in and am getting on it more, I'm realizing what a well put together package the Cougar is. Loving it more by the day. Everything works so well together.

Lou
  • jdbishopjdbishop Member Posts: 36
    I have the V6, MTX and get between 22 & 24 around town. On short highway trips, 250 to 500 miles I get around 28, but on one long trip from Houston to Virginia Beach and return, I got 31.3 for the entire trip (3100 miles). The fuel economy figures on my sticker show 19 city and 28 highway. Where are you seeing the EPA rating of 34? Are you sure that this is not the figure for the I-4? My car goes in for its 30K inspection next week. The car has and is performing perfectly.
  • bkjprincebkjprince Member Posts: 12
    Dear san deigo,

When I was shopping, I had touble working the swithches on the power seats in the car and thought the seat wouldn't go down to increase head room, but eventually I got it to work. Maybe that is the difference between the two 6' 2"s?

PS. to CSG still waiting for my MTX to arrive. The joyous date is officially 4/13.
  • sdmartin4sdmartin4 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the responses so far. I recalled the 23/29 EPA ratings previously but believe those were on the 2000 5-speed. That's why I was surprised on this visit to see the 23/34. I'd be happy with 30. Hope to hear more.
    On the highway I usually get around 29-31mpg. Around town my average is 24/25mpg.

I have had my Black Cat for well over two years and she now has 45,000 miles on her. The paint looks GREAT. Of course there is the occasional front bumper ding from road debris, but that is to be expected.
    sdmartin4: Re reliability: I would guess that the '01 Cougars are much better than the early '99s. It's just an unfortunate bye product of newly designed cars that they will have some teething issues. All problems should of been resolved by the time your car was produced. Good luck with your car shopping and I totally recommend the Cougar. It is a great car.

I brought my car in yesterday to get the tires rotated and balanced. The tech said that my tire wear is not that bad and as long as I rotate them every 4-5K miles they should be fine. I think I was being a little paranoid about the wear.

I also washed my car yesterday and she is sparkling. My paint has been great and seems very high quality.
    Have a good weekend all!!!

• louf22louf22 Member Posts: 18
    Visteon is making available their MP3 indash unit on Monday, according to their website.

http://www.evisteon.com/b2c/mach_mp3c.htm

They say it will fit selected Ford products and will be easy to install. It will play CDs with MP3 coded music. They claim a CD can hold something like 10 hours of MP3 music. It will available through Ford-Mercury dealers and, I thought I saw somewhere it will be priced $150-200 (seems pretty cheap, as Crutchfield sells an Aiwa unit for about $300).

This unit looks like it will fit the Cougar. It appears to be the same size as my indash CD changer.

Lou

This place is dead!!!!

Good Monday morning!!

Does everyone still own their Cougars? or Did you trade them in this weekend? ;-)
    I'm always here!!

• gocatzgocatz Member Posts: 12
    after 2 months in the body shop. It looks fantastic, and drives fine, especially with the new g-force tires. They perform much better than the standard Comp T/A's.

Anyway, I'm happy...for now.
    Did anyone have a chance to wash thier cars this past weekend? It was beautiful here in Atlanta.
    I was thinking about washing mine, but i'm glad I didn't. It's snowing here right now.

Snow BITES!!!
  • jimbo_gjimbo_g Member Posts: 53
    Anyone else get recall notices today?? I got not one, but TWO!! I am SO SO lucky:-) Actually the one recall sounds like it may finally fix my intermittent electrical problems!! And it gave me a chance to go to the dealer and visit my favorite Ford employee (yes the cute 21 year old girl at the write up desk LOL) I know I know i need to get out more hehe ;^)

so along with the recalls i am also having them do:
    re-align the sunroof (doesn't close flush with bodywork)

the interior trim panel near the right rear speaker squeaks
    (probably my fault since i normally listen to my music at "21" or "22" Dave Matthews needs to be listened to loud!!)

And last but not least the "stealth" front suspension noises that Helen Keller could hear yet the service department has yet to hear them after 3 or 4 tries ;^)

Jimbo_G
  • fastback2fastback2 Member Posts: 55
    Yeah, it snowed up here in Rochester too. I'm beginning to think that global warming is an illusion fostered by those who need government grant money for their research projects. Seriously, it looks like we'll see some warmer temps by this coming weekend. Temps in the 60s and warm sunshine would be awfully nice right now.
  • mouse409mouse409 Member Posts: 34
    I got a recall on a battery cable related item. I also got a call from Ford Customer Service, refering to my answer of their survey. Seems I did not like their lack of advertising of the Cougar. The person that I talked to seemed very interested in what I had to say. He did acknowledge that he did notice a lack of ad's for the Cougar. They may get back to me with further questions if need be. Yea-Right. Oh-Well
    =^..^=
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    Cougars are having an unreasonable amount of electrical problems: This week's recalls, ping-pong radio, my clutch interlock. When Ford bought Jaguar, did they send the electrical team to Flat Rock? I put up with funky electrical systems on my Ducatis because it was understood that once you had Magneti Marelli you had entered the Dark Ages but this is a Mercury and the switches should work all the time.

The New Edge Cougar could have been a good car. Not a great car, but a good car ( A great New Edge Cougar would weigh 500 lbs less and have rear wheel drive). But instead of fixing the little rough edges (power band, RPM hanging etc.) they let them rot. Besides that, Ford chose not to let anyone know the car existed. Besides that, they let the build quality become unacceptable. Besides that, they decided to make an SVT Fungus for people that didn't think a BMW coupe was ugly enough.

The Cougar's styling screams speed, elegance and comfort. Ford had a chance, a good chance, to back those looks up with a car that performed accordingly. Their choice was to abandon the entire platform. Ecch.
    LOL!! SVT Fungus!! LOL!!!

I too received the recall notice, but I am concerned. The other recall notice I received was some time ago. It was for the door lock problem. Before the recall fix I had no problems with the locks. After the fix was done, the locks act weird in the cold.

I didn't have time to read through the letter, so I'm not sure what the notice is for, but I will check when I get home tonight.
    I am bringing my car in tomorrow for the battery cable recall thingy. The advisor said they have looked at 20 cougars with this recall and none of them needed replacement. I guess thats good.