Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited April 2018
    ...” To haul more stuff than a sedan, and getting in and out is so much easier on the old backs. Most are front wheel drive and not even designed for offroad. Easier getting around in snow. PU trucks have evolved into Multipurpose vehicles with 4 doors and comfortable back seating for the kids. We fought this fight tooth and nail over a decade ago. Those of us that like SUVs won the argument. The haters just don't give up, they go and sulk in the 11,000 sq ft McMansions or yachts.”...

I’ve always seen (environmental AntiFA types as graphically symbolized by) GORE like satellite TV evangelists. I still love how (the comedian) Robin Williams had a routine about them. Little did he know that he was really making fun of the likes of ...Al Gore. Can I get an hay men?

Indeed ! There were indeed hosts of the HATERS/critics decades or more ago! Most of the arguments (preposterous to begin with) to all of the arguments have come crashing down. Some of those folks even post regularly on this board. The overwhelming majority of PVF buyers reluctantly, logically, etc., etc., voted with their $$’s & have come around to buying understanding how it fits into niche to many lifestyles, like those like us who have liked the SUV’s for much longer.

Not that I would buy another sedan on G/P, diesel sedans can/do present opportunities.

A lot of the hidden stuff is now coming to light. So for one example, it is good that the EPA mpg standards are now being dismantled. This of course causes YUGE, YUGE conniption fits! To me, what it may mean: OEMs should not now be forced to make huge #’s of non wanted & non-profitable small cars, just because it’s “small and gets theoretically better” mpg. One unintended consequence might also be that the cars that are sold might actually GET better mpg & be more profitable. Another consequence might be having to sell less cars.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    I imagine the types who think tariffs hinder US car sales in Japan or Germany are corrupt and incompetent even beyond Pruitt levels
    edited April 2018
    ISIS during the Obama admin (in video’s) seemed to drive/ride a lot in late model Toyota PU trucks !?
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Saw a couple new Teslas lately. In CA, they come with a license plate insert that reads "ZERO EMISSIONS."

I have a few beefs with that claim.

Two main ones:

1) Emissions of manufacturing, including the batteries.
    2) Emissions from the electricity generated to charge the car.

So why the zero emissions BS?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited April 2018
    Even evildoers need a tough reliable rig, and a Hilux ranks highly for that. Mostly gassers, but they make diesels, too. Although I remember this crazy incident when a Ford pickup still wearing US livery ended up in bad hands

And yeah, "Zero Emissions" is a technicality at best, if not actual deception by playing on greenie sympathies. The easily offended set cried about "clean diesel", but this gets a pass. You'll see the same badging on Nissan Leaf too.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Even if you charge your EV with Solar Panels, they are BIG polluters in manufacture. We shut down our source of materials to make them. Let the Chinese pollute the atmosphere and make the money on Solar panels and Wind generators. NO FREE LUNCH.
    edited April 2018
    The several $ TRILLION $$’s Aftganistan WARS are the “free lunches” POSITIONING CHINA’s mining to EV production of non sustainable “sustainable” EV’s. It also has grown Afghanistan’s annual opiate/hashish crops, since 2001/1992 ?
    edited April 2018
    fintail said:

Even evildoers need a tough reliable rig, and a Hilux ranks highly for that. Mostly gassers, but they make diesels, too. Although I remember this crazy incident when a Ford pickup still wearing US livery ended up in bad hands

And yeah, "Zero Emissions" is a technicality at best, if not actual deception by playing on greenie sympathies. The easily offended set cried about "clean diesel", but this gets a pass. You'll see the same badging on Nissan Leaf too.

Yup! Mark’s Plumbing Texas advertising the Obama DELUXE PLUMBING special. ;)
    It's always about him for some people B)
    edited April 2018
    It was YOUR POSTS actual time frame in which that happened, as was the ISIS Toyota reference. If they were done by/under Trump’s watch, that would have posted.
    edited April 2018
    I am pretty sure bandits in those regions have embraced Toyota trucks long before he was a known entity.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Anyone interested in having this discussion put to sleep again?

Just keep it up.... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

LOL some are sore losers and sore winners. They must be tired of so much winning B)

Toyota is an interesting subject though, tries so hard for a pious green image with Prius and hybrid variants, but actually has many diesel variants in other markets . Almost like diesel isn't really evil.
    edited April 2018
    Tired of more diesels? No!

Toyota has been making diesels & in many models for a very long time! It’s almost a no-brainer to say Toyota has made, by large factors more diesels & gasoline models than hybrids, EV’s.

Even Edmunds.com says the 2017 Toyota Highlander (gasoline/hybrid) is not worth the extra $$’s ! DIESEL HATER’S should note that’s after three decades ! Sure it does post, what 5 mpg better (than what? 21-22 mpg?) ? If Toyota only depended on Hybrids/EV’s, it would implode/collapse. Three decades later, Toyota will STILL neither confirm nor deny making profits on Prius gasoline-hybrids. I’m sure that including massive documented & private ruling tax advantages.

Again, late model PVF diesels are not evil, despite any to all efforts to demonize them. It takes no brains to understand that greater %’s & volumes of gasoline/ethanol are burnt when substituted for diesels ! There are no emissions controls for ethanol. I present MB GLK=PUG 23/24 mpg/GLK250 BT ULSD 36/38 mpg.

I can summarize any number of bullet points pointing the way to diesel being only one of many crisis du jour.

But look at this yippee yahoo oil production article ! https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/06/u-s-oil-exports-could-derail-the-global-oil-rally-says-energy-expert.html?__source=yahoo|finance|headline|story|&par=yahoo&yptr=yahoo
    A Toyota diesel is the only way they would be on my radar. I think my 6 years and 36k miles with the Sequoia turned me off on Toyota for good. It fit the 3 Gs perfectly, Gutless Gas Guzzler. Only real positive was comfort on the road. I will take my GMC Canyon diesel over any Toyota PU truck sold in the US.
    edited April 2018
    After owning a slew of TLC’s, I now sometimes wonder how Toyota manages to get the reliability and durability awards, year over year. They of course change positions a lot with Lexus. For example, (non diesel) on 5 TLC’s, brake pads and rotors wore almost as fast as rubber eraser’s. I just kept components on hand as the miles indicated.

Be that as it may, here is the latest 2018 TLC diesel. https://www.toyotacarusa.com/2016/12/2018-toyota-land-cruiser-diesel-specs-and-price.html

Geez, 4.5 L V8 diesel with 401 # ft? VW makes 401 # ft with 2 less cylinders & 1.5 L’s less (-33%) VW, MB, et al., would’ve turn this V8 into a torque ... BEAST! (601 # ft just to match L output)

Only NOW mating the (fantastic) 8 speed A/T (Aisin, I presume) that they've own the rights to & made for a very long time. It’s perfect for 400+ # ft, but a bit on the unsafe side for 600+ given 620 # ft capacity.
    I have to imagine some Toyota diesels are quite good. I can't imagine the reaction if they were offered here, and I suspect the typical flaunt-it hybrid or EV driver would believe it.

Regarding oil production, let's hope it happens - oil price spikes can cause economic chaos, remember the late summer of 2008, I recall paying $4.50 or more for PUG.
    edited April 2018
    20 gal RUG-PUG/11 gals ULSD are 74 % of a 42 gal bbl. So even at $70 Bbl, per gal = $1.67. @ $40 per bbl (a recent low?) that’s $.95 per gal.
    edited April 2018
    Toyota VD 4.5 L 25 mpg. https://youtu.be/Gaqag2EMS7k
    ruking1 said:

After owning a slew of TLC’s, I now sometimes wonder how Toyota manages to get the reliability and durability awards, year over year. They of course change positions a lot with Lexus. For example, (non diesel) on 5 TLC’s, brake pads and rotors wore almost as fast as rubber eraser’s. I just kept components on hand as the miles indicated.

Be that as it may, here is the latest 2018 TLC diesel. https://www.toyotacarusa.com/2016/12/2018-toyota-land-cruiser-diesel-specs-and-price.html

Geez, 4.5 L V8 diesel with 401 # ft? VW makes 401 # ft with 2 less cylinders & 1.5 L’s less (-33%) VW, MB, et al., would’ve turn this V8 into a torque ... BEAST! (601 # ft just to match L output)

Only NOW mating the (fantastic) 8 speed A/T (Aisin, I presume) that they've own the rights to & made for a very long time. It’s perfect for 400+ # ft, but a bit on the unsafe side for 600+ given 620 # ft capacity.

Where is the diesel model? The only one I can find is a D4D slogger diesel. Be lucky to do 0-60 in a minute. They keep saying diesel and only showing their pig of a gas V8. Been there done that. Toyota is sounding more like Tesla every day with this bit.

There is a few gossipy tidbits and speculation about the release date of this 2018 Tundra show. In any case, we couldn’t confirm the correct release date. However, the talk said that it would hit the market in the firs quarter 2017. The starting MSRP for Toyota Tundra Diesel 2018 will be around $29,450 for Tundra SR, and for Tundra Limited, and Tundra Platinum it will be $38,170 for Limited and $46,030 for the Platinum.

Did I sleep through the first quarter of last year? I cannot find a single Toyota diesel in any vehicle. Face it Toyota is like Honda, not smart enough to build a diesel that can get past the EPA and CARB.
    edited April 2018
    Even Toyota seems to want to get in on the “me too” (diesel) bandwagon. But, like you say: where’s the beef? Two things are clear; Toyota is 2/3/4 gears short of 8/9/10 speed transmissions, shy diesel engines addressing market realities.

Interesting (rethink) ethanol article ? https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2018/04/08/u-s-ethanol-policy-under-siege/#3da68302115b

E10, E15, E85, to E100, post less mpg than any blend/straight gasoline, gasoline hybrid. Currently there are ZERO emissions controls on ethanol emissions, despite massive exemptions by EPA/CARB, et al. Using real PUG/RUG are both a no brainer way & low hanging fruit recovering higher mpg. Indeed the manufacture of ethanol generates MASSIVE amounts of C02. I’m sure this irony is not lost on the EPA/CARB regulators.

The monarch butterfly’s hobbyists course is clear, buy/plant/cultivate real estate needed or partner with farmers to feed the hobby insects... milkweed.

Are (modular, scaleable & local) electrical grids coming to you? https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2018/04/08/your-local-farmer-will-replace-the-oil-and-electric-companies-if-a-purdue-prof-gets-his-way/#1f2b238467bd

Indeed diesel can be chemically made to order @ any/the POS (point of sale), with access to natural gas.
    Apparently there are E85 tunes that make people happy to get less mileage, because they can extract more oomph! I've heard of 85 cent and $1.99 per gallon promotions being held for 24 hours recently as well. Is this a CA or San Diego thing?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited April 2018
    The conundrum or hard nut to crack is the fact that ethanol is also used as an octane booster. Again advantage diesel!
    ruking1 said:

Even Toyota seems to want to get in on the “me too” (diesel) bandwagon. But, like you say: where’s the beef? Two things are clear; Toyota is 2/3/4 gears short of 8/9/10 speed transmissions, shy diesel engines addressing market realities.

Interesting (rethink) ethanol article ? https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2018/04/08/u-s-ethanol-policy-under-siege/#3da68302115b

E10, E15, E85, to E100, post less mpg than any blend/straight gasoline, gasoline hybrid. Currently there are ZERO emissions controls on ethanol emissions, despite massive exemptions by EPA/CARB, et al. Using real PUG/RUG are both a no brainer way & low hanging fruit recovering higher mpg. Indeed the manufacture of ethanol generates MASSIVE amounts of C02. I’m sure this irony is not lost on the EPA/CARB regulators.

The monarch butterfly’s hobbyists course is clear, buy/plant/cultivate real estate needed or partner with farmers to feed the hobby insects... milkweed.

Are (modular, scaleable & local) electrical grids coming to you? https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2018/04/08/your-local-farmer-will-replace-the-oil-and-electric-companies-if-a-purdue-prof-gets-his-way/#1f2b238467bd

Indeed diesel can be chemically made to order @ any/the POS (point of sale), with access to natural gas.

A couple things. First according to an old poster on Edmund's that spent a lot of time in Brazil, they mandate Ethanol in all cars. Supposedly engines designed for E100 get great mileage??? One article said an E100 Golf will get 30 MPG on the highway. Not impressive.

As for the Purdue professor making solar panels for green houses. The Brits have had it for a decade. Also university in CA is going to be putting their solar electric Greenhouse on the market if they haven't already. I would buy one if they get them to market soon.

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/solar-greenhouse-could-change-way-we-eat

edited April 2018
    Isn’t this absolutely and positively a wonderful time to be alive, to see many many future changes happening and so very very quickly? Greenhouses with solar & special lighting can make a good % of farmland excess or let more land rest every 7th year. One can literally customize anything grown.
    Maybe Honda and Toyota just need to make some software that only takes effect when a car is on a testbed :)
    edited April 2018
    Almost any late model PVF car has software that controls almost everything: important, aka., EVERY CAR has the capability of being unlawful. IF they do not have software, they are almost certainly in violation of emissions regulations for that particular year. In California it is so niche, that if one car is domiciled in one county or area it cannot take any emissions test outside it’s listed domicile. Unleaded gasoline is literally blended for each area. Those & other items being true, it’s almost better to have NV plates.

Noteworthy, there were absolutely no side-by-side comparison tests with gasoline, gasoline hybrids: no data!
    fintail said:

Maybe Honda and Toyota just need to make some software that only takes effect when a car is on a testbed :)

Toyota likely sells more polluting diesels in the EU and Africa than gassers. They just don't have the expertise to build a clean diesel. Honda was very proud of their clean diesel effort until they failed the EPA emissions. Still only way they could sell any cars in Europe. Oh well better luck next time...

Honda to launch clean diesel in the U.S. within three years.
    Next-generation diesel meets the strictest emissions requirements.
    SEPTEMBER 31, 2006 AT 5:00 PM BY BARRY WINFIELD

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/honda-to-launch-clean-diesel-in-the-us-within-three-years-car-news
    edited April 2018
    2020 Chevrolet Silverado V8 diesel !? 910 # ft

https://www.yahoo.com/news/getting-first-look-2020-chevy-142521272.html
    I guess that is not overkill if you are hauling 5 vehicles on a trailer rated for 25k lbs. We saw a few of these on our highway trips moving.

edited April 2018
    Rail heads here are used to bring 200,000 (could be less/more) new vehicles for more specific 8 car trailer tractor rigs. So yrly trips can number app 25,000 loads. It would seem that the five car- light truck rigs would post 40,000 loads, which would seem to be less destructive of the roads.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fiat-chrysler-u-justice-dept-diesel-emissions-settlement-235436331.html Fiat Chrysler “diesel gate”?
    edited April 2018

According to the WSJ, this 2010 photo shows a portion of RARE EARTH minerals mining for EV’s in China.

German diesels. https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/04/11/reuters-america-update-1-germanys-merkel-skeptical-about-hardware-refits-for-diesel-cars.html
    Well I wonder if Fiat has a few extra Billion laying around? I wondered why their diesel Grand Cherokee never made it to the dealers. Wonder if the EPA and CARB will give them a better deal than VW?

Looking at that poor fellow above. What do you suppose the life expectancy is for that sort of slave labor while smoking.
    edited April 2018
    I’m guessing FC will get a better deal from EPA/CARB ? My guess this is purely political, if similar (to VW) fines & buy backs are not mandated.

I understand the China government almost wholly owns the tobacco trade. Tobacco use is prevalent. It might also serve as a tool of population (slave labor) control.
    This may end China's strangle hold on the REEs supply.

Japanese researchers have mapped vast reserves of rare earth elements in deep-sea mud, enough to feed global demand on a "semi-infinite basis," according to a fresh study.
    The deposit, found within Japan's exclusive economic waters, contains more than 16 million tons of the elements needed to build high-tech products from mobile phones to electric vehicles, according to the study, released Tuesday in the journal Scientific Reports.

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-japan-team-semi-infinite-rare-earth.html
    edited April 2018
    It may make the US investments in securing Afghanistan’s land & mineral rights a waste of blood, sweat, tears and treasure. :(

The diesel answer has been hidden in plain sight all along!
    edited April 2018
    Never thought I would see a “fixer upper”burnt for $800,000 USD!
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/bay-area-housing-prices-high-193416565.html
    edited April 2018
    Chilean lithium production losing to China? https://youtu.be/50rXYrFCQMw
    Target sold me replacement CR key FOB batteries that claim to be "Lithium" from Energizer. I wonder if they'll last longer than the alkaline originals.

My garage door opener needed an A/E23, and Target carries it! But I bought from Amazon not knowing that. Learning all about odd and rare sized batteries lately.
    edited April 2018
    Batteries are considered so Toxic, that around here they have special turn in places at places like Best Buy etc. Evidently the waste management folks who get huge fees, find dealing with them too taxing. Yet, the computer, cell phone, internet miracles would hardly be, without batteries.
    Batteries have come a long ways for so many things we use. Putting a new set of patio chairs together with my newest Lithium Makita drill. Using a 3/8" socket it practically ripped my arm off with the torque. My first Makita was a 7.2Volt Nicad battery drill. It had enough power to drill small holes and drive screws in. Went to a 9.6V then to NiMH batteries. None of those drills and I still have all of them, had close to the power of this 18V drill with Li-ion battery. It seems to hold its charge much better sitting for weeks without use. Batteries are about half way to what they need to make an EV practical. Todays EV are comparable to my 30+ year old Makita drill.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    please everyone let's never mention EVs in this thread! EWWWWW!!!!!

yes, XwesX, the 2017 cruze DEF refill is behind the fuel door in 2017 cruze, adjacent to the diesel refill cap. The dealer seems to top off the DEF at the free-oil-changes too. Almost ready for 2nd free oil change.

Snag a 2018 diesel stickshift cruze while you still can: For 2019 reportedly they will all be slushboxes. Boo.

Bonus points for Russian King #1 in a posting above for using the word "conniption".

In other news - crashed my 05 GTO, first front-end crash in 40 years of much-driving. it's totalled but drivable. It needs $10k body work in the front and still looks better than a 2018 camaro SS.

Crash happened in a 'blind' intersection where a guy turned left as I went straight, and then stopped in the middle of the intersection when we finally saw each other. It was blind intersection due to huge truck also turning left, occluding everyone's view. Be careful out there !
    edited April 2018
    In the (EPA/CARB) killing of the RUG/PUG ICE’s , diesels seem to have taken first/top priority. Putting VW diesels in concentration camps with selective extermination are some first steps.

Now that the gasoline/diesel/EV hybrid are actually ready for prime time, committing to one for the next 12 years can be sketchy at best. The “better” alternative advanced by the environmental types, seems to be the EV. (NOT, ready for prime time!) Still, advantage diesel!

Indeed, despite the fact that the (Pacific) oceans are composed of salt, ocean salt mining (Leslie Salt, over 100 years?) in the SF Bay Area has been/is considered environmentally bad “unsustainable” . My take is that it was a federal land grab.

Sorry to hear of your accident! I hope you were not hurt.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    elias said:

please everyone let's never mention EVs in this thread! EWWWWW!!!!!

yes, XwesX, the 2017 cruze DEF refill is behind the fuel door in 2017 cruze, adjacent to the diesel refill cap. The dealer seems to top off the DEF at the free-oil-changes too. Almost ready for 2nd free oil change.

Snag a 2018 diesel stickshift cruze while you still can: For 2019 reportedly they will all be slushboxes. Boo.

Bonus points for Russian King #1 in a posting above for using the word "conniption".

In other news - crashed my 05 GTO, first front-end crash in 40 years of much-driving. it's totalled but drivable. It needs $10k body work in the front and still looks better than a 2018 camaro SS.

Crash happened in a 'blind' intersection where a guy turned left as I went straight, and then stopped in the middle of the intersection when we finally saw each other. It was blind intersection due to huge truck also turning left, occluding everyone's view. Be careful out there !

Ouch! Sorry about the GTO, Elias! Are you going to repair and keep, or let it go?

I am strongly considering the Cruze diesel... definitely stick. I have done some casual browsing and prices on them are already quite reasonable. I will probably put my Q7 up for sale within the next month, but not sure if I want to immediately swap into a Cruze or maybe wait another winter and just use the 08 Forester. For some reason, I am having a hard time stomaching the idea of going back to that car.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited April 2018
    Right now, the hot V8 is the only PUG/RUG engine that comes close to matching the 3.0 L V/I-6 diesel (406 # ft to 458 # ft) with a 7/8/9//10 sp heavy duty A/T.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    ruking1 said:

Right now, the hot V8 is the only PUG/RUG engine that comes close to matching the 3.0 L V/I-6 diesel (406 # ft to 458 # ft) with a 7/8/9//10 sp heavy duty A/T.

As long as you don't watch the fuel gauge! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited April 2018
    Ah,... yes!

Also, the MB AMG 63 (GLC 300) using the V8 (turbocharged, 479 # ft) is also app 2 x the price $$’s of either the 2012 VW Touareg TDI (32 mpg) , or the 2014 MB GLK 250 BT. (36/38 mpg) That’s a whole lotta more moohlah for all the hooplah.

Anything short of this - bogus? https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/sweden-modified-road-recharge-evs-214300621.html
    edited April 2018
    Leaving Home Depot yesterday, a fellow flagged me down. Asked if I liked my GMC Canyon diesel. Of course I gave him a good answer. His E250 Bluetec was parked next to us. He also has a Canyon with over 100k miles he would like to trade in. Says the best highway mileage he ever got was 20 MPG. Not close to the 25 MPG EPA rating. Does the EPA do that to encourage people to buy gas guzzling vehicles? And his is a 2wd. I asked about the Mercedes with the 2.1L 4 cylinder engine. He absolutely loves that car. Best he has ever owned. 42 MPG on the highway is his average. I think Fintail better figure out how to keep his when the lease is up.

PS
    He's retired from GM worked somewhere around Nashville TN. Moved to Las Vegas and a year later to Pahrump.
    If I end up in another Bluetec, I'll be buying a different car - buying out a MB lease is apparently a financially painful thing to do. Been a good car for sure,
This discussion has been closed.