Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Here's a kit, sounds like a bit of a job:

http://weistec.com/m156-head-studs-and-maintenance-package.html

But probably a lot better than waiting for total failure, and especially good if you can do the work yourself.
    Cars of this time were not the zenith of the brand - not as iffy as a few years before, but it was still an uphill movement. I would almost imagine those engineers, who value complexity for the sake of complexity, would be just as susceptible to issues, if not more.
    ab348 said:

Hmm. From reading online forums for years I assumed this was unique to GM's Northstar engines. Glad to see German engineers are not immune.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    That looks like the heads are coming off. And probably a whole lotta parts to get to them. Could be a fun weekend.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    fintail said:

Some people today would want that Gucci Seville .

I am not sure if 70s MBs had horsehair or foam seat stuffing, but whatever it is kind of deflates with time, and you often see wrinkles on period cars, especially 116s.

The term we use for that is to call the seats "baggy".
    fintail said:

But probably a lot better than waiting for total failure, and especially good if you can do the work yourself.

Cars like this are in a bad place--they are just a bit too expensive to roll the dice on, and accept a possible total loss, but not worth enough to repair if you pay someone else to do it. The Porsche 996 is another example. You can buy a nice one for $20K, but if the engine cuts loose, it's $20K to repair.
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702

fintail said:

Cars like this are in a bad place--they are just a bit too expensive to roll the dice on, and accept a possible total loss, but not worth enough to repair if you pay someone else to do it. The Porsche 996 is another example. You can buy a nice one for $20K, but if the engine cuts loose, it's $20K to repair.
    Sometimes you're the windshield
    Sometimes you're the bug
    Sometimes it all comes together baby
    Sometimes you're just a fool in love
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    Fin, that is nuts IMO. I actually really like that vintage PU. But would at least need to be an extra cab SR5. This one is too utilitarian. And not comfortable with the non reclining bench seat. Without even headrests (that aren't the rear window!)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    fintail said:
    Here's a kit, sounds like a bit of a job: http://weistec.com/m156-head-studs-and-maintenance-package.html But probably a lot better than waiting for total failure, and especially good if you can do the work yourself.
    "Valve buckets"? That is a new one on me.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    They're the caps between the OHC and the valve, I'm guessing the adjustment shims are underneath.
    No Xtra Cab until MY 1984, I think. Neat truck and the current bid shows there's a new movement - I think quite a few Japanese cars of that general area are up and coming, if they are in nice shape. If it was a 4x4, it'd be bid a bit higher.

My brother had one like this, a final year 83 model. He loved it, loaned it to a friend who crashed it. Insurance settlement was three times his purchase price, but he couldn't find a decent one to replace it even here, people are holding on to the good ones.
    stickguy said:

Fin, that is nuts IMO. I actually really like that vintage PU. But would at least need to be an extra cab SR5. This one is too utilitarian. And not comfortable with the non reclining bench seat. Without even headrests (that aren't the rear window!)

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    fintail said:

Depending on the shocks, maybe not bad. Probably no harsher than my car with "sport" suspension and runflats. I worry most about the dash cracks - I suspect that job will be at least $1500 for parts and labor to replace, if you can find a new pad. The wood will be easy, and I even have an original head unit for that car just laying around.

For 107s, I think the most desirable are the best 560s, and the earliest 350/450s, pre-74. They bring much more in Europe than here.

Whatever you do, don't ever put Armor-All on your dash or it WILL crack! Ask me how I know.
    omarman said:

Both seat cushions have been re-stuffed with OEM material.
    What is "OEM material" for Mercedes seats circa 1973? Seller seems to rather avoid calling it out - whatever it is.

I'd still like to have a Gucci Seville with the luggage. I'd pass on the green Granada Mercedes.

Wow, never saw one! Were these really produced? I kinda like it!
    Even well kept examples I've seen for sale over the years are missing the original luggage. And when someone pointed out that the Gucci Museum in Florence had a perfect Gucci Seville, it turned out to be the next gen FWD slantback.
    Here you go: The ad says it "drives like a cloud"---I guess that means all "poofy"?

http://www.2040-cars.com/Cadillac/Seville/1979-cadillac-seville-limited-edition-gucci-beautiful-lt-300-produced--845091/

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited April 2018
    Almost had the 'Big One' when I saw the words 'original diesel engine', but luckily read further and saw it was replaced by a gas engine.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Gee, imagine what it would be worth if you had the original luggage AND the original diesel engine! :p
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    That headliner tho...
    Lotsa Gucci-goo
    Why are all those signatures on the glove box of the is car?
    https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/d/1967-ford-mustang-deluxe/6560464211.html
    15 minutes of fame. You know, Shirley. (I told you never to call me Shirley).
    My uncle Larry's last car was a '69 Superbee and I always like those cars. But the '70 models were just too much "taxi" and not enough "super." This '70 Superbee project looks just too far gone. Still they want $5K and point out some missing parts. No engine, trans, etc.

so that is what, a VIN tag, title, and some scrap metal?

Well, if they only made 300, that might explain why I've never seen one. Those were the " dark days" of diesels, V-6 engines in Cadillacs and 4-6-8 1981 Cadillacs. Things got even darker in 1982 when the wonderful HT 4100's wre introduced.
    omarman said:

My uncle Larry's last car was a '69 Superbee and I always like those cars. But the '70 models were just too much "taxi" and not enough "super." This '70 Superbee project looks just too far gone. Still they want $5K and point out some missing parts. No engine, trans, etc.

If it was an original Hemi car, it might be worth restoring, but if it was a 383 engine code, then I don't see the point of it. It's just a rebadged road-runner.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

omarman said:

If it was an original Hemi car, it might be worth restoring, but if it was a 383 engine code, then I don't see the point of it. It's just a rebadged road-runner.
    Dad had a close friend that bought a new '69 Superbee. It was orange with white band stripe on the rear, black lift off fiberglass hood, 4 sp, 440 six pack, black steel wheels with narrow red stripe tires. He had power steering installed to make it easier for his wife to drive. I remember riding in it and the brute force of being pushed back in the seat when he drove it. And the V8 sound , to me a 10 year old, beyond compare!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    When I was growing up in the Chicago area, Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge was the area's muscle car king. He had fast paced commercials like the stock car racetracks and I believe he also worked on Plymouth's besides Dodges. His dealership and expertise in this was big and powerful enough that he worked closely with Chrysler Corporate. They even figured out a way to stuff a Hemi into a Duster. god knows how :o I don't recall the area having a comparable place for GM or Ford muscle cars. However, I think Yenko Chevy's were limited to just a couple of Chevy dealers there at the time. Chicago was a huge GM market back in those days. Somewhere over 50% of sales there often were GM makes back then. As a kid I leaned Mopar, probably because most everyone else was always arguing Fords vs. Chevy. Interesting times.
    Say sda, this is ironic - just saw a 70 Plymouth Superbird sell at Barrett Jackson Palm Beach auction for $260K. Get this; cream colored with an automatic. Go figure! I don't recall ever seeing a Dodge Superbee in person, but did see a Plymouth Superbird once in a parking lot years back. Never knew what to make of those elevated spoilers. The elevation always made me think of a T-Tailed aircraft like B727 or DC9 which would increase lift rather than drag to keep the rear end down on a race car. But then no flaps, right ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

No bids? No way!
    That probably drives nice but is hideous looking. At the price of a brand new one.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    What a joke. And why have an auction with a crazy high starting price? Isn't that what the reserve is for? This way he gets no information on what it's really worth.
    i don't think he cares what it is really worth. As shifty would say, he'll need to buy a birthday cake for it each year cause it ain't goin nowhere.

I don't get the "glossy paint" comment. Must be a REALLY bad photographer.

edited April 2018
    qbrozen said:
    Always a good idea to start off telling bidders that if you don't understand the starting price, you're just stupid. :p

Aside from my usual birthday cake remark, I'd also add that this is an appropriate car for another one of my favorite comments---"this car really isn't for sale".

If you want to actually sell the car, rather than "troll" with a bare hook hoping to catch one hapless stupid fish by the tail, then you have to price it competitively. Did the seller actually consider what ELSE a person could buy for $75,000?

Answer: Some really nice machinery.

I would use the "Restoration Cost Formula" or "Hot Rod Formula" in this case. Add up your receipts, divide by 2, and start negotiating from that number.

So, $71,000 in receipts / 2 = $35,000 asking price. Negotiate like crazy and if you get in the high $20Ks, fall on your knees and thank heaven.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    That Rover reminds me of the black & blue one Wheeler dealers made over a few years ago. In their case they went from matte pebble black to gloss white. And it looked far better than that thing.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

hey, I got bad news for ya, buddy: it is barely worth the asking price EVEN IF IT WAS A RUNNER.

I give him props for taking so many undercarriage pics, but it just shows off how much is wrong with it. I call BS on the 50k miles unless they were the hardest miles possible. The mismatched (and wrong size) tires and swiss cheese muffler are the smallest worries here.

If you can wait a month, I will be in that town for a pit stop and can take a look! Not the type of car I expect to find there though.

take a look at what? none I've posted, certainly. ;b

The non running Rover. I’ll be in that boonies town.

If anything that "50K" car might never have spent a night in a garage.

Funny that "be realistic with your expectations" guy isn't realistic with his expectations.
    edited April 2018
    stickguy said:

The non running Rover. I’ll be in that boonies town.

that just needs to go to the scrap yard. The labor alone far outweighs the value of the vehicle when fixed.

All that work put into that 'restoration' and they used OEM parts.
    That just means it's gonna break again soon.
    yeah. nothing in that auction for me!

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,854
    I’d rock the Tbird. That’s a rare car

The Lincoln’s aren’t my favorite colors, but I’d take the 79 Continental too.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

T-Bird is pretty cool, I know I have mentioned I like the 77-79 angular design. Moonroof has to be quite rare, if it had T-tops, it would really be something.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    I like that T-bird also, though I wonder what the seller means in the ad when he describes it having a new seat.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Kia Stinger at $40K has no moonroof option and a spare donut in the trunk.... Hmmm.....
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited April 2018
    ? Premium 2.0T is $38k and has a moonroof.

I think the manufacturers have been seeing how high they can push sticker prices the past few years given the low interest rates. HyunKia now has credibility in the US, so they can join in. Of course car (vs. truck/SUV) sales have been chilly lately, so I suspect you can get a chunk of the sticker reduced. But that particular car looks kind of greedy and it is another 2+ grand if you want awd. That buys a pretty nice crossover. I also think that is getting into Audi A3 pricing.