Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Flat Rear Tire - What to do?

chaiyachaiya Member Posts: 14
edited April 2018 in Honda
My air pressure warning light came on tonight and when I looked at my tires I saw that the rear left tire was going flat. I had a flat maybe a year ago, and the Honda dealer repaired the tire. I'm not sure if it's the same one. In any event, I don't want to get stranded on the road being that I am a single female and I have never changed a tire before in my life. I have two questions. Is it difficult to change the tire (Do you think I can do it by myself)? Do you think I should just insist on a new tire when and if I get to the Honda dealer? Thanks so much in advance for all your help!

Comments

• Options
    capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    No, it's not hard to change a tire. Anyone can do it, it just takes a little practice.

As a general rule, tires aren't covered by the vehicle warranty, so whatever happens, you're going to be the one footing the bill, so do what you want!
  • Options
    chaiyachaiya Member Posts: 14
    Thanks so much for your help!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Why don't you join AAA? They can take care of a tire change or tow you if necessary. I'm sure you could learn to change a tire but depending on where the flat occurs (on a freeway? YIKES!) you may not want to do that.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    A lot of drivers keep a portable air compressor in their car. That way if the tire gets a leak, and if it is small enough, they can inflate the tire and then drive somewhere to have it looked at.  That saves them from having to deal with it themselves. 
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Not a bad idea! But get yourself a good one. Some of them in the market are so weak and so noisy that it takes forever to get a few PSI into the tire.