Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,272

Michaell said:

That's over and above the $3K I suspect. Sure, while you're "in there" (and you are REALLY in there), you'd do the water pump, change out the oil in the supercharger, and of course this is the perfect time to do belts and hoses. These cars use a dual-mass flywheel and that needs replacing as well---and of course the pilot bushing, the flywheel guide pins, and TO bearing and clutch slave.

So unless your car is worth well over $5,000, you'd think twice about doing all this. You'd probably be better off just buying another used one that's newer and has fewer miles.

So, no clutch job on the MINI in last night's episode, but they did do the 100K service, which was an exhaustive list, including the supercharger oil. Was fascinating to watch, even though I am fairly mechanically incompetent.
    Yes the supercharger oil is somewhat tedious, but not too, too bad. I've never done it. This must be an older Mini if it has a supercharger. If they had to do a clutch, and it was a supercharged car, they'd be working for nothing come resale. I hope they know the market for these cars.
    It is interesting on that show that they rarely show them making a killing. I appreciate the focus on mechancial restoration, but at the end of the day, they usually clear a couple of grand.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Yep, that's all they made here. All costs totaled about $7900, sold it for something like $9300, so the 24 hours of labor (they've started including that number now, very helpful) gets paid out at $58/hour.

If you add in labor costs at around $60/hour, they seldom come out much ahead. But it's fun to watch.
    To do the 100,000 mile service they had to remove the front bumper cover and bumper, a/c condenser (moved it while still attached) and the radiator brace/radiator. Went surprising fast! Then to get to the water pump and supercharger most of the accessories and air intake also came off.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Once you've done these things a few times, it gets so much easier.

For instance, replacing the fog lights on my Dodge Dakota pickup. Who knew the "easy" way was to remove the headlights? The only other way was to remove the fender liners (which of course, forces you to break all the clips holding in it, which of course forces you to hunt for 25 pieces of unobtainium).

But then, natch', on any old vehicle the minute you touch something, it breaks, or cracks or strips out---GEEZ, what ever happened to fog lights that were held in by two external screws? All this old plastic-y stuff never goes back right. And access to the two bolts that hold the foglights? Even with the entire headlight out, you're working blind and in a confined space. One-click ratcheting. So THAT'S what eternity feels like!

Now of course, I can do the other fog light in about 1/5th the time. I know the tools, I know the pitfalls and I have a few spare parts handy for the fasteners I drop into the abyss.

If they charged $58 an hour where I live, I'd have them do it. But it's $135 on up around here. So installing fog lights costs 3X the price of the new lights.

Oh yeah, the $58/hr was what they got paid, in effect. "Ant" would get WAY more than that.

As for all the stuff on older cars breaking - that's been my experience, but Wheeler Dealer must edit that out, and has for years. They'll wade into an old 928 and everything gets fixed, easy-peasy.
    I suspect they do edit out all the boring stuff. Like spending 1/2 a day looking for a certain fastener, or getting the wrong parts, or installing something only to find out you had to take off Part A before you bolted in Part B.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Started the Mustang today and backed it out of the garage.
    Ran the revs up steadily for a few minutes.
    When I put it back in the garage, no leaks!
    Kind of surprised.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    The 5.0 usually isn’t a leaker.  Good thing because even a pan gasket requires the engine to be lifted off the mounts (at least on a Panther)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited April 2018
    It has a radiator leak, but I put some sealant in it a couple of years ago.
    Rear seal also weeps, but I run high mileage oil, so that has pretty much stopped the little bit it dripped.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    tjc78 said:

The 5.0 usually isn’t a leaker.  Good thing because even a pan gasket requires the engine to be lifted off the mounts (at least on a Panther)

Somebody needs to tell that to my van. Granted, that is 49 years old, but leak it does! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    After 49 years we all start to leak something or other. :p
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702

After 49 years we all start to leak something or other. :p

After another 10 years you hope you still can.

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    I like these details on the '69 Lincoln:
    Mileage: 0
    City MPG: 22
    Hwy MPG: 29
    Fuel Type: Gasoline Fuel
    Engine Cylinders: 4 Cylinder Engine

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    I like the Supra a lot, although no "visible" rust makes me laugh.

Seville looks awfully decent for the money.
    RE: Porsche 928 S4 ---no, I don't think the AT hurts it--it's really a high speed GT car, not a ballerina exactly. (but people do race them). Often called the "German Corvette", they were, like many Corvettes, ordered with AT. (Corvettes are ordered about 50/50 with AT).
    Oh, I like that Supra! Not for $10k, but I still really dig it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

That Seville seems like a screaming deal at $800. Wonder what's wrong with it?
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,032
    edited May 2018
    fintail said:

I like the Supra a lot, although no "visible" rust makes me laugh.

Seville looks awfully decent for the money.

Seems like a bargain, almost too good to be true, on both counts.

The Galaxie and the Tbird seem like ideal "take the kids out for ice cream" kind of cars.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,440
    I love the Supra. If it is really that clean (and the rust isn't just underneath where you can't easily see it!) I would probably pay 10K for it. Not like there are many clean ones floating around. Plus I am an idiot.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Big fan of the Supra, bigger if it was black.
    I love the fact that it isn't black or white. seems like most of them were.

I asked for a quote on a CPO Lincoln from that dealer that has the 69.
    They had a button for e-price, so I clicked on it and put in my info.
    Didn't get a reply but several phone calls.
    Emailed the caller asking for my e-price.
    Finally got a quote. $1 off their website price! :)

I asked for a quote on a CPO Lincoln from that dealer that has the 69.
    They had a button for e-price, so I clicked on it and put in my info.
    Didn't get a reply but several phone calls.
    Emailed the caller asking for my e-price.
    Finally got a quote. $1 off their website price! :)

Jump on that
    I think that Supra listing is possibly shady.

The photos show it at Motorcar Classics in Farmingdale, NY but they do not show it in inventory and the phone number is not the same. Nothing at that place is cheap either (they have a lot of very nice stuff on offer) so there is something going on here.

I wonder - one guy took pictures of bikes at bike shops, put them up on Craigslist, then stole the bikes that 'sold'...
    Looked at a 1999 Porsche 996 for a lady yesterday. She said her mechanic had "bad news" and she wanted to know what to do about it, regarding value, repair, etc.

I saw immediately from the written report and by my own verification that there was water in the oil.

So yeah, I had to tell her the car is a total loss. Too bad--nice blue color with palomino interior--a combination I really like.

I suggested she take her mechanic's suggestion and part out the car--that should give her a few thousand bucks at least.

Looked at a 1999 Porsche 996 for a lady yesterday. She said her mechanic had "bad news" and she wanted to know what to do about it, regarding value, repair, etc.

I saw immediately from the written report and by my own verification that there was water in the oil.

So yeah, I had to tell her the car is a total loss. Too bad--nice blue color with palomino interior--a combination I really like.

I suggested she take her mechanic's suggestion and part out the car--that should give her a few thousand bucks at least.

Maybe put in one of those Jaguar I-6 engines everyone's swapping out of their XJ?? :)
    Would a Subie flat-6 fit?

MB 190D swap, then take it to Porsche meets and bask in the reaction of purists.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    fintail said:

MB 190D swap, then take it to Porsche meets and bask in the reaction of purists.

What an instigator.... Who would have thought?!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    It's fun to toy with those who obsess about relatively common cars :)

On that note, I am not offended by MB frankencars. Well, don't cut up a 540K, but if an old fintail is dragged out of a swamp and turned into some weird creation, have at it.

190D swap would also work in a Tesla.
    xwesx said:

What an instigator.... Who would have thought?!

I suppose with enough money and skill you could cram just about anything into an old Porsche 996. I've seen V8s on YouTube. Never saw a Subie engine in one--that would be a bit of a dog, though, unless maybe you stuffed in one of those hyper turbos.
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Porsche owners could just turn to Stuttgart for a factory engine replacement. Problem solved.
    Some people just don't want to be happy.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    I think a Cayman short block is $13,000. Not sure about a 996 short block. I"d have to ask. Probably better to rebuild what you have, as you can make all the improvements.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

stickguy said:

they can handle the clutch at least. I remember Edd dropping the entire drivetrain on a boxster to do the clutch on that car (maybe some other stuff too). pretty cool. disconnect stuff up top, lift it up, a few bots undone, and engine and trans just drop right out.

The clutch is a monster job. Here's what his Mini might will look like at the halfway point:

Now you know why I'm not crazy when I say "if the clutch goes, the car gets junked". Of course, on a newer Mini you'd bear the expense---probably $3,000 by the time you're done.

Oh, I'll bet it would be more than that! How many hours labor? Parts aren't cheap and then there all of those "little things" that you would want to do while you are "in there". What a NASTY B**** of a job that would be!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Here is a car you don't see everyday!

This guy actually takes this on the FREEWAY??

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/renault-cvnice-car/6578694873.html

Well, for much of the day/week, many freeways around here might average 40 mph, so it could maybe reach those speeds, given enough time. Funny little car, hard to believe someone put so many miles on one here.
    The sport exhaust changes it completely. :)
    Oh, those are neat little cars, and quite rare in the USA. Compared to a VW of that era, they are quite civilized.

I think the micro-car bubble is just about over, but nonetheless, you'd get a lot of attention and gas mileage equal to a Prius.
    Had the old lovely out on this somewhat muggy day. Keeping the streak alive with no issues - I did a little adjusting work, and lowered the idle speed a bit - ambient temps seem to impact the car, and I noticed a slight miss when letting off the throttle and cruising downhill. Adjusting the idle seems to maybe slightly impact the timing or something, as I at least think it ran better after the adjustment. 90 second job.

Gratuitous pic, not far from the CSL I saw earlier:

One guy came up and asked me the year, and if I restored it (gotta love 10 footers), got another compliment from a woman at a yard sale, and a few turned heads. I think a clean old car gets more positive attention than a modern fancy car costing dozens of times more.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    A coworker of my Dad’s back in the ‘60s had one of those 4CVs with, of all things, an electro-magnetic clutch. I never rode in it but I remember my Dad saying she liked it quite a lot.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Ah yes, the "Ferlac" clutch system. Tricky little thing...the instant you touched the gear lever, the vehicle went into neutral. So, anyone with a habit of resting their hand on the gearshift had to break that habit.
    A few from Craigs Long Island

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/d/1967-manx-style-classic-vw/6577604434.html Legit dune buggy. Looks like fun

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/d/1978-cadillac-coupe-deville/6560538403.html Black coup deville. Under that top could be scary, but pretty reasonable money

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/d/1979-mg-98k-miles-5-speed/6569695346.html MG I know that the metal bumper ones are favored, but this looks like summer fun for reasonable money. Is 'the top shrunk' actually a thng?

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/d/1985-chevy-monte-ss-dale-sr/6574000354.html One of a kind Dale Jr tribute car

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/d/gorgeous-1987-mercedes-benz/6573883145.html Diesel Benz wagon. So, diesel mania is still a thing?

the MG does not look too shabby. decent price. Unloved bumper cars. You can swap them out, but I believe it is a bit of a pain, and not cheap. So just keep it and enjoy as is.

I would like the Monte a whole lot more without the Dale stuff. Keep the engine and underpinnings, swap out the AT for a stick, peel off all the stickers, and might have something interesting.

I don't think thediesel craze is enjoying the glory days of old but any clean Mercedes wagon is bound to attract attention. Seller's claims are rather grandiose to say the least. While these cars are not as complex as modern ones, they are hardly "simple" to fix and hardly "cheap" to maintain. I don't think it will sell at that price but it could sell at $10K--$12K if Hans and Dieter give it a thumbs up at German Autobahn European Mercedes Foreign Car Autowerks, Inc.
    I have never heard of nor seen a top "shrink." They get stretched and looser over time, in my experience.

Ah yes, the "Ferlac" clutch system. Tricky little thing...the instant you touched the gear lever, the vehicle went into neutral. So, anyone with a habit of resting their hand on the gearshift had to break that habit.

I understand the VW "Automatic Stick Shift" used in late-60s Beetles was also like that.

edited May 2018
    I think what people mean, especially with an MG, is that the top becomes hard to close. I don't think the tops shrink as much as loose flexibility. Cheap enough to fix.

Sad little thing. Looks like someone put a Weber carb on it.
    That Caddy looks like something a wiseguy might drive. Good engine. Inspect the rest of the car for corrosion everywhere. Frame, body, door frames, cowl, trunk floor, windshield channels front and back.