Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    That wagon does look pretty amazing. I don't recall ever seeing that color before on that generation. I could not guess on the price. I bet it would fetch a pretty penny on BaT.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I can only comment on the market price with a lot of data points---one-off sales can land just about anywhere, depending on how naive the seller is or how crazy the buyer is.

But you're right Q--perfect car for BAT.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    edited May 2018
    I have some doubts the color on that wagon is original, but maybe not far off an original color called "ultramarine blue". MB had a huge color palette then, and it works well with the interior anyway. I am leery of what may lurk under the accessory wheelarch trim, with the car being on Lawn Guyland and all. But if it all checks out, indeed it would do well on BaT.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    one interesting picture on the MB listing. Seems odd.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Seems like a high redline for such an engine, maybe the tach is out of a gasoline car. Optimistic high speedo range is typical for the era.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    @stickguy,
    Good catch! Several things look like head scratchers.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    fintail said:

Seems like a high redline for such an engine, maybe the tach is out of a gasoline car. Optimistic high speedo range is typical for the era.

read the sticker on the gas gauge.

edited May 2018
    CARFAX says it's a diesel, but CARFAX also records "accident with another vehicle". Old accident, though--but still, that's a bodacious asking price for a car with a dirty report.

Oh, wait....TWO accidents on CARFAX. Possibly 4 owners, last one Nov. 2017.

Nice attitude also: "NO TRADES, STOP! HAVE $14999 READY TO PAY OR DO NOT BOTHER, STOP WITH, WOULD I TAKE QUESTIONS! VERY SIMPLE, IF YOU KNOW HOW TO READ, EXER CISE YOUR M IND, AND SEE, PRICE $14999 OR DONT BOTHER ME! GO LOOK FOR SOMETHING ELSE!"

Gee I can hardly wait to get my hands on it. Hope I'm not too late! B)
    Ha, I miss the obvious and focus on the minutiae.

These did have a 140 speedo, so that's right anyway - gassers had a 160 speedo. Fishy. That with the paint color and Shifty's accident history, and the location, would have me keeping away.
    stickguy said:

read the sticker on the gas gauge.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited May 2018
    Need opinions from the experts on this one. Our son spotted this on CL and he is CONVINCED that it is underpriced by a ton and that it'll appreciate like MSFT stock did in 1986. I happen to think that it's a huge MONEY PIT and not worth more than scrap. I know I could be around so I value your thoughts!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/d/1973-mercedes-benz-450slc/6556649276.html
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Oh, those are neat little cars, and quite rare in the USA. Compared to a VW of that era, they are quite civilized.

I think the micro-car bubble is just about over, but nonetheless, you'd get a lot of attention and gas mileage equal to a Prius.

Now, I figured you wouldn't like it. It is cute as can be and it appears to be in great shape. If it were half that price I might be a player! Where would you ever find another one and where would you ever find parts?

Weren't those sold as a cheaper alternative to the Dauphines?
    Yes they were cheaper than a Dauphine, and parts would be fairly difficult. You'd have to scour the Internet and buy rusty buckets of things piecemeal---or ask a friend in France to help you. I commend anyone who had the patience to restore one.
    Isell, tell him to run. far and fast. I don't think a clean one is going for that much, and this one is a rat that will cost you a fortune. just the heater fan I think is a huge, expensive job. rust and paint? This is a 1,500 car that will be a $50,000 sink hole 6 months from now, worth 1/2 that maybe!

Need opinions from the experts on this one. Our son spotted this on CL and he is CONVINCED that it is underpriced by a ton and that it'll appreciate like MSFT stock did in 1986. I happen to think that it's a huge MONEY PIT and not worth more than scrap. I know I could be around so I value your thoughts!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/d/1973-mercedes-benz-450slc/6556649276.html

Auction median value is $5,000. Appreciation grade assigned by Sports Car Market Price Guide is F. ( which means pretty hopeless).

Parts car. Money pit. Rust bucket. No way out of that hole.

He should save his money and buy something better. Doesn't even look like there are many parts worth selling.

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    edited May 2018
    fintail said:

MB had a huge color palette then [..]

That made me laugh. The joke was "Erhältlich in allen Sanitärfarben" -- available in all bathroom colors -- and there was truth in that.

Anything metallic or bright was extra, but all the beiges sands browns whites creams and earthy greens you could ever want were available for the asking.

Need opinions from the experts on this one. Our son spotted this on CL and he is CONVINCED that it is underpriced by a ton and that it'll appreciate like MSFT stock did in 1986. I happen to think that it's a huge MONEY PIT and not worth more than scrap. I know I could be around so I value your thoughts! https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/d/1973-mercedes-benz-450slc/6556649276.html
    Put a bullet in it

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Need opinions from the experts on this one. Our son spotted this on CL and he is CONVINCED that it is underpriced by a ton and that it'll appreciate like MSFT stock did in 1986. I happen to think that it's a huge MONEY PIT and not worth more than scrap. I know I could be around so I value your thoughts! https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/d/1973-mercedes-benz-450slc/6556649276.html
    Put a bullet in it

No. That's a parts car. You can get a lovely one for 10K.

It's still the same today, but even more thrifty (on MBs part) - for mainstream models in the US anyway, only non-metallic white and black are "free" colors. Others are extra cost, at least $700 or so, I think. That being said, the brand still has a lot more color choice than most. Back in the day, the color selection was huge, I think fintails could eventually be found in a couple dozen colors, and W126s over the production run probably had 20+ colors, too.

I know middle market MBs of the 80s had the nickname "Rentnertraum", I think a few models still have that rep in Germany.

steine13 said:

That made me laugh. The joke was "Erhältlich in allen Sanitärfarben" -- available in all bathroom colors -- and there was truth in that.

Anything metallic or bright was extra, but all the beiges sands browns whites creams and earthy greens you could ever want were available for the asking.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited May 2018
    How leery would you be if someone advertises a '13 Audi S4 that claims it was well kept and cared for, but that there is under body "deterioration" due to being a Northern Canada Car the first 3 years of its life. 50K miles.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    What would you pay for a clean '06 Honda Pilot with 205,000 miles?

More interested in a '02 Audi A6 with the 4.2 V8 for $2,500. Claims they did all the services recently I think (hoses, brakes, CV axles, bushings, water pump, & timing belt) They don't state the mileage, which I've learned usually means 200K miles.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    That Audi could be a stunning money pit. Most of that vintage are. 
    heck, that age and miles, so could the Pilot if something big lets go.

Not sure if I would take the A6 for free. Those cars are quite rare already - for a reason.

I remember when the V8 A6 was a new thing, 300 hp seemed like a huge deal.
    stickguy said:
    heck, that age and miles, so could the Pilot if something big lets go.
    Nah. Audi V8 repair $ are >>>>> Honda $. If I remember correctly, the timing belt replacement requires a huge amount of time/$. 
    Well there's:

1. Flash rust --solved with chemicals and detailing
    2. Flaking rust -- grinding, sanding, chipping and painting--a disgusting but probably worthwhile job.
    3. Perforated rust ---just run away.

andres3 said:

What would you pay for a clean '06 Honda Pilot with 205,000 miles?

More interested in a '02 Audi A6 with the 4.2 V8 for $2,500. Claims they did all the services recently I think (hoses, brakes, CV axles, bushings, water pump, & timing belt) They don't state the mileage, which I've learned usually means 200K miles.

An '02 Audi V8---that's basically a Death Wish. I would consider rejecting the car for FREE if it was offered to me. Seriously.

'06 Pilot with 205K? If it looked decent and ran well, and had no major needs, then maybe $3,500--$4,000 tops. If there are mechanical or cosmetic issues of any note, deduct accordingly.

Basically, at 205K, a car's statistical life is over. You are looking at an 82 year old man playing a fast game of tennis. Yes, he's in remarkable shape for his age, but when you turn around, you may hear a THUD.

But isn't the Audi V8 death-wish tied to the ultra expensive timing belt maintenance, that when deferred, results in said death wish occurring? It's like a self fulfilling prophecy due to people being cheap.

If they really just did the timing belt service along with everything else "while in there" and it runs great as claimed, seems like they spent about as much as they are asking for it?
    No, the entire car is a disaster. Your problems will never end. This car will eat you alive.

Be warned or go forth, and may god have mercy on your soul. :s
    edited May 2018
    Heck, I'd take it for free. Lemons car!
    Or a demo derby.

There you go. Either race it and bash it, or make it a parts car.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    andres3 said:

How leery would you be if someone advertises a '13 Audi S4 that claims it was well kept and cared for, but that there is under body "deterioration" due to being a Northern Canada Car the first 3 years of its life. 50K miles.

Quite!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited May 2018

No, the entire car is a disaster. Your problems will never end. This car will eat you alive.

Be warned or go forth, and may god have mercy on your soul. :s

Well, for $2,500, it actually isn't a death wish. Get six months out of it and you break even. Get a day out of it, and you haven't left yourself in the poor house. The trick with a car like this, though, is to know going in that you must be ready to cut it loose at any time. Once you start the repairs, that is when it will eat you up!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited May 2018
    Well, if that's your philosophy---fine---then only pay its junk value from the get-go. Find out what a wrecking yard would pay for one, and offer that. A timing belt repair totals the car, so you can't even plan on doing that as a stop-gap measure. If you paid $2500 and did a timing belt, you're already in about $6000, and you haven't even started yet.
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Once upon a time Edmunds set its sights on a used 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 and pulled the trigger.

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    edited May 2018
    Oh I remember that one.
    Wait...it gets worse. If you buy a 2004 Audi S4 with the timing chain instead of the belt, you're better off, right. RIGHT?

Er, no.

Inasmuch as Audi proclaimed this timing chain as a "forever part", they put it against the firewall.

Joke's on us. Turns out the timing chain needs to be serviced (pulleys, tensioners, etc).

That's an engine out job, with a labor rate of (gasp) 31 hours.

Ouch!

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    fintail said:
    1 minute CL browse finds two oddities. 1 of 1 with an electric clock! - I like this kind of minutiae. After almost 40 years, this is how these survive here - not a common sight in the 21st century, probably make a fun race alongside a 240D automatic.

2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    looking at that picture, a nice 2.0T 4 seems like a really smart idea.

Looks like one of those Swiss watches with the clear dial to see all the crazy parts inside...
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Most cars, when you talk about "the timing chain," that's what it means. Near as I can tell, we have four separate chains going on here, each with its own tensioner.

If you owe money on a car like that, "chains" sounds about right.

BTW I believe it's the beige plastic parts that break. I mean, who could have predicted that, amiright? Crazy.

They should ship the car with whips to go with the chains...
    -Mathias
    edited May 2018
    And putting it all against the firewall----

Sometimes I think that used cars of the future will be worthless. They'll be dumped in creeks like old TV sets.
    I don't need the headache, and a blown turbo sounds ominous, but I love the design (inside and out) on that all road.

maybe get all 3, and cobble them together to get 1 running car?

Oh, man.... that Allroad.... :(

There is an Allroad of the same vintage that I see here all the time, and I just hope that one of these days I come across the owner so that I can find out whether it has been the nightmare these cars have the reputation of being!

But, seriously... one mile to the train station?! Why does this person even HAVE a car?
    Allroad, time for as LS swap! :)
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Well the train doesn't stop at hooters. At least not on long island. And then he mentioned groceries...
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    The question is, which turbo went bad?