Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    He's not a bad guy, but I'm not a fan of Doug's schtick :)

I'd take one of those though, although I think I'd want MY 2014+. Depreciation will be your friend, and 21 mpg for all those hp isn't so bad.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited April 2018
    I didn’t know about “Doug” before this (utube) posting. That being said, creds to his video illustrating the hidden in plain sight ...essential & important (nonsoundbieable) points. That’s the real reason for posting in this DIESEL forum.

Advantage diesel !

Really for you, no issue @ all ! A MY 2014 just costs a wee bit, little ...more.

(The nearest I can figure, approximately 11%/12% per year +$27,000 to $29,000. Indeed, you probably keep more than that much around in your checking account?)

The 18/19 mpg 21/22 mpg are/have been the defacto standards in the midsize gasoline CUV’s for years!

(The CUV 4 MATIC diesels, as you know is/are approximately 36-38 to 32-35 MPG.)

IF I can get a gasoline model V8 in a (used) MB AMG GLC 300, or whatever V8, why get a 4/6 cylinder gasoline model that for all intents and purposes gets the same mpg ?

Indeed, you nailed it, depreciation is a friend. Depreciation starts off from the get go. So year to year depreciation, (if Doug’s & my/the figures are correct ($120k MSRP-$44k P/P, if I did my math right) are approximately - minus 11% per year. So if the P/P was -11/-12% off MSRP (104k-105.6k), one is in tall cotton. One issue left is how to treat the $4,000 to $6,000 bumper-to-bumper extended warranty. Basically in his case, he is making the assumption & betting that the (going forward 2012 ) Mercedes-Benz is a repair/maintenance PIG, which may or /not be true.

What we are REALLY witnessing is/are the de facto lessening/loosening of the EPA/CARB standards, by way of a 6 year old used large car purchase. CUV’s flag salute to a different, but still tough standards than sedans: compact to small. ANY NEW compact to mid size sedan engine will start to get the increasingly nit picky metrosexual emissions “improvements”. Again looser standards for new engined CUV’s.

Again advantage diesels!

It would appear that (not including all the VW payouts, cost of fixes & new warranties ) the 2013 VW Touareg TDI has basically depreciated approximately 6% per year. https://www.edmunds.com/inventory/srp.html?inventorytype=used,cpo&make=Volkswagen&model=Touareg&radius=500&submodelid=SUV,Diesel&year=2013-2013

Again, I am really disappointed that VW would not fix my 2012 VW Touareg TDI. But they did give me the price of what I paid + a tad more for the (Charlie Brown’s) “football” to go away. :DB)

Again, again advantage diesels!

I apologize in advance for the TMI/s! However, this is NOT FOX News with sexy blonde women in short skirts feeding you one line blathers ! :DB) I’m not even one of the guys in blue suits.

2019nFord F-150 TDI https://www.yahoo.com/news/30-mpg-2018-ford-f-040000885.html
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    I'm sure that Passat is no comparison at all to an MB, but I still remember that car fondly as the most comfortable and solid of all the cars I've had. I would simply love to have it back. It netted me a tidy little profit, though that is still a tough trade off when I have pangs of regret now and again. :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited April 2018
    If a MB (vs Passat) is a (potential) repair PIG, past 100,000 miles to 400,000 miles, why buy it new? Massive depreciation -11%/12% per yr. & $4,000 to $ 6,000 (extended warranty) seems to be the prices to beat.

VW TDI “mild”? Hybrid? to hit American markets? Will te torque pass the now very boring 236 # feet ? My SWAG, 52 to 55 mpg, from 45 mpg.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/ade18b6d-c1df-3653-a63a-e31d8636c1b7/ss_vw-unveils-its-first-diesel.html
    edited April 2018
    Way less diesel N0X? https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/04/bosch-might-just-have-solved-the-problem-of-diesel-nox-emissions/
    But to me the question begged: why ZERO targets for gasoline, gasoline hybrid, ethanol, 10%, 15% Ei5, ethanol production & natural gas fired power plants for EV grid etc.?

But wait, the Aussie review https://youtu.be/-n73p-yhWI4

This article was a bit TMI, but it’s really good to know about the freeze on MPG.
    https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/27/trump-plan-freeze-cafe-fuel-economy-standards/

Repair old vs buy newer? http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/sc-auto-tips-0503-fix-scrap-car-20180427-story.html
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    fintail: Sounds like the SD MB dealers weren't too competitive.

Hard to tell when only one of the three dealers had any diesels. I did talk to a big dealer in Los Angeles and they worked real hard to find what I wanted. I think they would have worked with me. No 0% financing from MB.

Only MB CUV I'd have interest in would be a GLC, and without a diesel powertrain, it just doesn't make me run to it.

The GLC is a nice CUV. I was excited when they said it would come out with the 2.1L diesel. That would have been one of my top choices when it looked like VW was going to buy back the Touareg.

edited April 2018
    This may sound very counterintuitive, but one way is to keep in touch with any to all dealers. One (plus dealers) never really know when any to a lot of advantages add up to one’s favor. One example: One day they may only sell at MSRP plus. Another day, they may sell at/or below invoice. Go figure.

GLC’s predecessor GLK specifically 2014/2015 are doing fine for being 3/4/5 years old. The dealer even chased down a reported leak under warranty. @ 62,000 miles with ZERO issues, of course the dealer wants the alignment & new tire trade.

I’ve heard both good & not so good 2016/2017 (gasoline) GLC takes. GLC’s while I like the “new” look, looks more like every other CUV than the GLK. But I realize the GLK’s distinctive look was/is not for everybody. I’m guessing the tdiesel take rate was 5%.
    I can't recall MB going as far as 0%, they probably don't really have to. There's demand for most models, and if there is extra stock, they seem more likely to offer a cheap lease. The financing blowout offers I recall are on CPO models.

There are 3 different diesel variants of the GLC available in the more mature German/Euro market. The 250d is the best mix of power and efficiency, per local testing having virtually the same mpg as the 220d but with over 30 more hp. GLC is closer to a lifted wagon than the others. There's still a diesel G in Germany, too.
    edited April 2018
    On both the MB new and used markets, there are a lot of chaff amongst the wheats. It can be extremely hard to know if one really gets a great to fair deal or ...not. But I think a $4K to $6k used car warranty premium can be telling.

I’m glad the 2014 MB GLK 250 BT is relatively straight forward & is proving to be relatively issue free.
    ruking1 said:

On both the MB new and used markets, there are a lot of chaff amongst the wheats. It can be extremely hard to know if one really gets a great to fair deal or ...not. But I think a $4K to $6k used car warranty premium can be telling.

I’m glad the 2014 MB GLK 250 BT is relatively straight forward & is proving to be relatively issue free.

I think your GLK diesel is the kind of vehicle you keep until the wheels fall off. Unless it needs major work. The GLC must be a big seller for MB. They are made in Germany, China, Indonesia, India, Malaysia and Finland. Makes me wonder where the ones sold in USA are built??? The GLC is by far the top selling vehicle for Mercedes in the USA. "C" class is second.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180403006342/en/Mercedes-Benz-USA-Reports-March-Sales-28407-Units
    I'm as concerned as much with the car as the deal. If I buy something to hold long term, I want the perfect car - in colors and options. Not an easy thing, as I am kind of particular. My Bluetec is almost there - interior color is close, only missing one big option, but those factors with the high residual make a buyout tough to swallow.

All US market GLC I have seen have been made at the Bremen factory, although I suspect we could get Finland models.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited April 2018
    So I'm in Pahrump this weekend enjoying an HPDE.

Diesel is about 3.09, while premium 91 is about $3.20-3.25/gallon here. In CA 91 is $3.55 at Costco!

Got some VP Racing 101 Octane for $8.75/gallon.

Haven't bought fireworks. Have stayed within 5 of the ridiculous speed limit of 35 MPH on a wide 4-lane highway. People respect the speed limits in town, which tells me the draconian overzealous enforcement is in full effect. My radar detector did go off already.

Pilot Sports 4S's holding up well, but I miss my Cup 2 Tires. I upgraded the brakes while downgrading the tires; not a good combo. The 4S's are overhyped as a track tire, but they are holding up for longevity well.

They are performing great for a street tire though. But you are reminded they are a street tire because they howl constantly during hard turning. Anyone familiar with awesome softer rubber compounds knows that a good tire grinds and digs, but doesn't squeal or howl.

The BIG Brembos were twitchy and created lateral/horizontal movement in the car under hard braking, but after a couple sessions, that problem has gone away for the most part. I think the pads just need abuse, and I was abusing them by not abusing them since I bought them.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited April 2018
    Two interesting (to me) forward-looking statements about VW after the Sep 2015 “diesel-gate.” https://finance.yahoo.com/news/volkswagen-eyes-further-productivity-gains-months-ahead-070413883--finance.html

Will the redesigned Touareg have diesel options? Or any to all of the others, outside of US markets It’s probably a statement rather than a question. Are profits pretty much on target? (given US diesel jettison (thrown under the proverbial bus) efforts & change of accounting,for misdirection) Or were they a complete surprise?

Octane versus Cetane
    https://youtu.be/OqV5L70-MUE
    This morning I got behind an early 00s Chevy pickup, diesel, TX plates, smoking like a 19th century steel mill - not doing diesel any favors with that B)
    edited April 2018
    It probably passes it’s home states’ smog laws & tests.!

Interesting, who are the backers of BYD, a China battery & EV car maker? https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/warren-buffett-china-found-secret-sauce-183809314.html
    Indeed, as this was a heavier truck, it probably has to comply with virtually no regulations. Still a black eye for the fuel (also being driven quite fast, especially for a vehicle with inferior handling capability).

The backers of BYD, are probably similar to those unvetted fortunes buying up west coast real estate and creating endless problems in local markets after they have purchased residency. I notice the rose-colored article quietly dodges the social and environmental catastrophes of the most favored "partner".
    edited April 2018
    Well yes, you saw & mentioned it, so I’m reacting to your post! Evidently (your) WA state is just FINE with an out of state truck complying with its’ own state’s “regulations”.

I think you may be severely discounting American money’s role in kick starting & continuing to fuel the China (40 year) economic miracle, since 1978; when Nixon, POTUS opened up China.

My take then & now? We would probably have been better served keeping more of those monies at home. But it’s like (actually is) nation (re) building, like when East Germany was reunited with West Germany. There were probably decades of hard times. F/F, the 2012 VW Touareg TDI was built in Slovakia, a former communist country. Trust me, it did/does NOT have the characteristic communistic build quality! B):D

Gotta love Uncles Charlie & Warren! :D
    The truck had TX plates, likely a visitor or transplant (such a terribly over-regulated blue place, but EVERYONE wants to move here, weird!). Not a local car, WA can't do a thing about it even if it wanted to. Now try to register it here, and it may or may not be easy. WA has some exemptions for diesels, but I can't recall how that truck would fit in - 2009+ cars are exempt anyway. I think everything over 25 or 30 years old is exempt.

Yes, I know glorified war criminal Kissinger did a lot to open that Pandora's Box, too. Keep people satiated by offering them cheap trinkets as a distraction. Neither here nor there relative to diesel cars. There are still some hard times in the old east vs west when it comes to Germany, and in eastern in western Europe - cross a state or country border, and it becomes apparent. 40 years of repression might take more than 40 years to really heal.

IIRC, Touareg is built in Slovakia, I could see the factory from the train when I went to Bratislava last November. A VW subsidiary, Skoda, is built in neighboring Czech Republic, and is also known to be a high quality car with a host of diesel options.

edited April 2018
    The 2003 VW Jetta’s TDI operating life began smog test “EXEMPT”. I forgot what year CARB decided to charge the FEE generating ONLY smog test. So I’m guessing it would be an easy day for the truck you mentioned to pass a WA (your) state smog test.

I’m sure that in future days, the more hidden deeds of the glorified war criminals Clinton/Kerry, et al. will manifest. One is on the Apple B of Ds, another is on the Google Board of Directors. Be that as it may, the “non related EV” NON diesel topic IS GERMANE. Wars in Afghanistan, again et al. to get the world’s auto OEM’S to “BATTERY UP”. (If one hasn’t noticed). Europe needs to get over IT (hurt feelings) . Many would be inclined to turn so called WW 2 into just another 100 years’ war.

Living side by side with German designed TDI cars: (Bremen, 62,000 miles, 4 yrs /Bratislava Slovakia, 62,000 miles, 5yrs/Pueblo, 120,000 miles, 8 yrs) on the ? of where it’s better made has been pretty to completely seamless. I’ve lost track of whether or not the TDI engines are ALL German made or not.
    I checked - if a diesel vehicle here is from 2007 or later or weighs less than 6001 lbs, it is exempt. Historically, standards for commercial vehicles have also been quite low, so a tailpipe on a truck resembling a smokestack in a coal powered factory may be a-ok. AGAIN, as this was a TX-plated truck, how it meets with WA standards is moot. At worst, it could be a new resident cheating by not registering their vehicle to their new address - I see this a lot.

Nope, partisan rants about politicos not directly connected to environmental regulations are not relevant to getting people into diesel cars. As daddy's wallet would say, "wrong!". Wars are about a lot more than batteries - they keep the praetorian-industrial complex rolling, and the connected "intelligence" communities of huge overhead and monstrous perks.

I know the engines in some USA-built MBs are made in Germany, I don't know about Mexican VWs.

edited April 2018
    If you see it a lot, it’s obviously the way WA rolls? It does not sound much different from CA procedures. Not that means anything, as many areas are “sanctuary” areas.

Thanks Mongo!
    https://youtu.be/SKRma7PDW10

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the lack of oil used by TDI engines. 1.9 L, 2.0 L, 2.1 L, 3.0 L in 30,000 miles oil changes .5 to .75 L. aka. no need to add. I’m certain IF they were gasoline engine sizes, theyd be drinking oil & in most to all. I’ve had one engine V8 385 hp/# ft torque that consumes 1 qt between 2,000 miles to 5,000 miles. So in 30,000 miles it can be 15 qts to 6 qts.

If sedans fit my lifestyle purposes more, here are two I’d consider: diesels & 8 sp transmissions (2019) would be ideal: https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/avalon/2018/ Edmunds.com indicates as much as -$ 9,651 off MSRP !? Oh yeah!
    https://www.edmunds.com/lexus/es-350/2018/

Evidently even large sedans do not fit a lot of people’s life styles. But (good to great) deals can be had.
    It's funny how people complain about CA, but relatively few are willing to bail out. Often these are people who have cashed in on (real estate) asset appreciation, and don't realize the irony that they hate the zoo which has enabled their wealth.

I think Avalon and ES are receiving heavy updates for MY 2019, leftover 18s will indeed eventually have incentives. 9K off might not be as tempting if you don't really want to commit to the car to begin with. Just think of those things with a nice diesel, although it might not be as isolating as the typical driver of one of those would like - they don't want to hear an engine. Those cars are the traditional Buicks of the 21st century, attracting the same demographic who bought them in the 70s-90s.
    edited April 2018
    Indeed, all of those CA movie stars that swore to leave IF TRUMP got elected, yet didn’t when he DID get elected is telling. :DB) Like you’ve said “sore losers’ !?

Yes, you are making my points!
    Still not seeing points. Not sure what is worse, sore winners or sore losers B)

But yes, many of the other whiners who have also received undeserved asset gains fail to walk the talk.

Speaking of oil use, I don't think my Bluetec has used any - don't need it between servicing, anyway.
    edited April 2018
    fintail said:

Speaking of oil use, I don't think my Bluetec has used any - don't need it between servicing, anyway.

What is the mileage/time between services?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited April 2018
    MB BT’s are @ 10,000 miles oil change intervals. The 2.1 L bi turbo engine takes 6.9 L’s of oil.
    ruking1 said:

MB BT’s are @ 10,000 miles oil change intervals. The 2.1 L bi turbo engine takes 6.9 L’s of oil.

Okay, sounds pretty solid, then, in terms of oil use. I estimate I have about 15K on my current OCI with the 3.0L TDI, and I added a quart of make-up oil.
    edited April 2018
    Yep, like ruking said, 1 year or 10K miles is by the book.

My fintail makes up for it though, by using maybe a quart every 1000 miles - which amazingly is within spec per the owner's manual:

andres3 said:

Diesel is about 3.09, while premium 91 is about $3.20-3.25/gallon here. In CA 91 is $3.55 at Costco!

Haven't bought fireworks. Have stayed within 5 of the ridiculous speed limit of 35 MPH on a wide 4-lane highway. People respect the speed limits in town, which tells me the draconian overzealous enforcement is in full effect. My radar detector did go off already.

Pilot Sports 4S's holding up well, but I miss my Cup 2 Tires. I upgraded the brakes while downgrading the tires; not a good combo. The 4S's are overhyped as a track tire, but they are holding up for longevity well.

They are performing great for a street tire though. But you are reminded they are a street tire because they howl constantly during hard turning. Anyone familiar with awesome softer rubber compounds knows that a good tire grinds and digs, but doesn't squeal or howl.

The BIG Brembos were twitchy and created lateral/horizontal movement in the car under hard braking, but after a couple sessions, that problem has gone away for the most part. I think the pads just need abuse, and I was abusing them by not abusing them since I bought them.

Did you race on the Spring MT track? Yes the local constabulary are aggressive with keeping the speed down in town. I wish they would catch the guy that winds out his load sports car every morning at 5:30 AM. Goes down Pahrump Valley blvd heading South. Likely works in Vegas. I see him go by from my office window. Just a streak. I think it is a Camaro.
    ruking1 said:

If you see it a lot, it’s obviously the way WA rolls? It does not sound much different from CA procedures. Not that means anything, as many areas are “sanctuary” areas.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the lack of oil used by TDI engines. 1.9 L, 2.0 L, 2.1 L, 3.0 L in 30,000 miles oil changes .5 to .75 L. aka. no need to add. I’m certain IF they were gasoline engine sizes, theyd be drinking oil & in most to all. I’ve had one engine V8 385 hp/# ft torque that consumes 1 qt between 2,000 miles to 5,000 miles. So in 30,000 miles it can be 15 qts to 6 qts.

If sedans fit my lifestyle purposes more, here are two I’d consider: diesels & 8 sp transmissions (2019) would be ideal: https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/avalon/2018/ Edmunds.com indicates as much as -$ 9,651 off MSRP !? Oh yeah!
    https://www.edmunds.com/lexus/es-350/2018/

Evidently even large sedans do not fit a lot of people’s life styles. But (good to great) deals can be had.

Toyota and Lexus are off my list forever. Too lazy to bring their diesels here, they can keep their gas guzzlers.
    ruking1 said:

Indeed, all of those CA movie stars that swore to leave IF TRUMP got elected, yet didn’t when he DID get elected is telling. :DB) Like you’ve said “sore losers’ !?

Yes, you are making my points!

My guess is most Hollywood stars maintain a primary residence in Las Vegas. With the new tax plan more will do the same. Not being able to write off your $100,000 property tax is a big incentive to bail out.
    xwesx said:

ruking1 said:

Okay, sounds pretty solid, then, in terms of oil use. I estimate I have about 15K on my current OCI with the 3.0L TDI, and I added a quart of make-up oil.
    I will go with the VW recommendation until it is off the new extended warranty. $135 dealer service every 10k miles is not a deal breaker to keep the warranty clean. Had the dealer do the 50k mile service (47k) when they did the dieselgate Mod.
    edited May 2018
    Indeed, so did I . The 2012 Touareg TDI took 9 L’s. @ $9. per, filter & washer/plug, $135 is a great deal!

12 VW Touareg TDI came with 3 each included 10,000 miles OCI’s & included maintenance. I watched all three times. The last OCI was done@ 33,000 miles & let me go till VW bought it back @ 62,000 miles. I did add a full liter somewhere in this 30,000 miles OCI. The VW dealer used the VW 507.00 BP product, both from liter bottles & oil barrel.

$173 was paid for the GLK OCI. 7 L’s oil. They did the normal inspections & fluid toppings. One anomaly, they indicated no alignment needed, but they wanted to do an alignment anyway? So from alignment point of view, the GLK is on way to 120,000 miles.

The dealer on one’s options will : 1. pick your car up, 2.deliver it back, 3 pick you up, 4. provide loaner, 5. drop off car, 6. drive back loaner, etc.,etc, I’m confused already. 7.They will shuttle you to where you need to be, after Starbucks coffee and fresh bagels or donuts.
    edited May 2018
    The “EMPIRE” reaches out.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/08/boris-johnson-renounces-us-citizenship-record-2016-uk-foreign-secretary
    https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/meghan-markle-could-face-big-190600947.html

Where are the American oil sheiks ? (North Dakota, Texas) I think I like Stetsons & cowboy boots over “the towels” /sandals :DB) yippee yahoo! Many yielding US oil wells, tall beaver STETSONS! Smart money is also under oily baseball caps.

https://www.investors.com/politics/columnists/oil-production-saudi-arabia-fracking-trump-energy-policy/
    ruking1 said:

Indeed, so did I . The 2012 Touareg TDI took 9 L’s. @ $9. per, filter & washer/plug, $135 is a great deal!

12 VW Touareg TDI came with 3 each included 10,000 miles OCI’s & included maintenance. I watched all three times. The last OCI was done@ 33,000 miles & let me go till VW bought it back @ 62,000 miles. I did add a full liter somewhere in this 30,000 miles OCI. The VW dealer used the VW 507.00 BP product, both from liter bottles & oil barrel.

$173 was paid for the GLK OCI. 7 L’s oil. They did the normal inspections & fluid toppings. One anomaly, they indicated no alignment needed, but they wanted to do an alignment anyway? So from alignment point of view, the GLK is on way to 120,000 miles.

The dealer on one’s options will : 1. pick your car up, 2.deliver it back, 3 pick you up, 4. provide loaner, 5. drop off car, 6. drive back loaner, etc.,etc, I’m confused already. 7.They will shuttle you to where you need to be, after Starbucks coffee and fresh bagels or donuts.

I expected it to be more like $250 for the service. That is what the San Diego dealer showed as the charge to VW for my last free service. So when we went to pick up the Touareg I was pleasantly surprised by the $135 charge. I bought the kit from Amazon to do it myself for $91. It is on the shelf for next time. If I am not too lazy in 10K more miles.

edited May 2018
    Yes, that is a high quality “kit”. The filter is good for 50,000 Kms or 31,068 miles. VW 507.00 oil can be do an “extended” OCI.
    gagrice said:

andres3 said:

Did you race on the Spring MT track? Yes the local constabulary are aggressive with keeping the speed down in town. I wish they would catch the guy that winds out his load sports car every morning at 5:30 AM. Goes down Pahrump Valley blvd heading South. Likely works in Vegas. I see him go by from my office window. Just a streak. I think it is a Camaro.
    Yes, the Spring Mountain Resort Track is a favorite track of mine. My first "track" weekend was there, and I have more laps on it than any other.

Club rents out the Mountain Falls Golf Clubhouse for dinners; they serve pretty good food for large groups.

Stayed at the Best Western; noticed a new Holiday Inn.

Rebel sells 100 octane for $7.99/gallon, but they sold out to ARCO, so that means no credit cards.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited May 2018
    andres3 said:

gagrice said:

andres3 said:

Yes, the Spring Mountain Resort Track is a favorite track of mine. My first "track" weekend was there, and I have more laps on it than any other.

Club rents out the Mountain Falls Golf Clubhouse for dinners; they serve pretty good food for large groups.

Rebel sells 100 octane for $7.99/gallon, but they sold out to ARCO, so that means no credit cards.
    You might want to rent the little cabins at the WineRidge some time. That is where we stayed while looking for a home. No breakfast. Nice and quiet. Good prices. Lots of places to eat as you probably know.

https://wineridgervresort.com/

You would think with the race track more stations would have racing fuel. Spring Mt does not let us local peons into their facility. Maybe once a year. I'm not going to buy a new Corvette to get a membership. Is it a nice course?

PS
    I hear they are putting a shopping mall in there. More restaurants and shops. Locals are excited.
    ruking1 said:

Yes, that is a high quality “kit”. The filter is good for 50,000 Kms or 31,068 miles. VW 507.00 oil can be do an “extended” OCI.

I was going to have my local GM dealer change it. He told me if I got the oil and filter he would do it. Then the mod came through and I just let the dealer do it. I should be good for a couple years now. I have never added oil to a vehicle in probably 20 years. If it gets low I just have it changed.
    edited May 2018
    I no longer change my own oil, oil filters, but still have the jack stands, ultra low stance & longer reach jack, dunnage, pucks, other lift adapters, etc. I had thoughts of doing a Tahoe garage man cave, dah works, lift, heater rolling tool boxes: nothing says over kill like $40,000 in tools, but got woke from the dreams to hit the slopes early.

The real utility of oil/oil filter changes is to do all those visual & other normal inspections. Why I found/still find this satisfying, I’m still not sure.

But another advantage diesel! My normal gasoline 20,000 miles OCI’s gets extended (50%) to diesels’ (VW 507.00, MB 229.52) 30,000 miles!

The daughters, since grammar school showed almost zero interest in anything “cars”. (surprise surprise) When they were slightly older, it was almost “punishment” work to get them to even wash the cars they were destined to drive.

However, they can easily can spot car BS from 100 yards off. So I’m sure they were listening.
    gagrice said:

andres3 said:

gagrice said:

andres3 said:

You might want to rent the little cabins at the WineRidge some time. That is where we stayed while looking for a home. No breakfast. Nice and quiet. Good prices. Lots of places to eat as you probably know.

https://wineridgervresort.com/

You would think with the race track more stations would have racing fuel. Spring Mt does not let us local peons into their facility. Maybe once a year. I'm not going to buy a new Corvette to get a membership. Is it a nice course?

PS
    I hear they are putting a shopping mall in there. More restaurants and shops. Locals are excited.
    The Audi Club usually negotiates a group block discount rate with Best Western, so prices are similar to the Wineridge RV Resort you linked; but still, for the same money, seems like a nice change of pace. The hotel does serve a conveniently fast "included free breakfast" though. Track meetings start at 7:30 AM so unless you're an early bird you want a fast and convenient breakfast.

A gas station called "Terrible" used to sell 93, but they no longer carry it. The track sells their own 100 and 91 octane race gases at a good profit margin, so I suppose 3 sources in a small town isn't bad. I'm glad one has the option for cheaper just by driving off a few miles.

You'd think with a name like Spring Mountain the track would have great elevation changes and what not, but actually it is a very flat track. What it does have is 30 turns and a 4.1 mile configuration; and it is a great technical track.

Very nice facilities; great course though. They have a Corvette "school", so no need to buy; just sign up for one of their Corvette in-house classes sometime, and use one of the Corvettes in their vast fleet of Corvettes. They are all modern recent model Corvettes, and they also have a fleet of CTS-V's. No more Camaro. They once upon a time had a fleet of Lotus.; no more.

Some of the members drive Radical's around (only allowed in instructor group sessions).

They are sponsored by Michelin, so that's what all the cars wear on their feet. Rumors are they have ambitions of expanding the track and eventually becoming the American Nurburgring.
    Had to run an errand to the south Sound yesterday, roughly 100 mile round trip. Afternoon moderate/heavy traffic, averaged 42 mpg per the car, not too bad with a little stop and go in the mix.
    andres3: Rumors are they have ambitions of expanding the track and eventually becoming the American Nurburgring.

I think expansion is more than rumor. The major owner is $billionaire, John Morris. He started Bass Pro Shops and now owns Cabelas sporting goods. Spring Mt is a hobby project. Several million dollar homes are in the plans out there. Not sure I have any interest in driving a Corvette around the track. Nice to know it is there if I got the urge. I am more of a sport shooting fan. We have Front Sight that is a World class shooting facility also. Where I shoot in a gravel quarry, I can see people racing around the track. Only 5 miles from the house. In San Diego to find a place to shoot without paying it was a 50 mile drive, right in the middle of the Drug Cartel corridor. So glad to be gone from there. And my Alpine house went into escrow this morning.

PS, diesel is $3.12 a gallon this morning. I guess that is better than $3.89 at my old diesel stop in CA.

https://www.frontsight.com/
    edited May 2018
    It’s good to hear that life is good and getting even better ! I hope you got the price you were seeking.

I do think we are @ the beginnings of massive change/s in the (passenger vehicle fleet) auto market. Diesel will still have it’s part to play.

Saw this in a WSJ article:

...”Last week Ford an­nounced that it would wind down U.S. pro­duc­tion/sales of pas­sen­ger cars—ex­cept­ing its Mus­tang and the sort-of-sedan Fo­cus Ac­tive—in fa­vor of more pop­u­lar and prof­itable trucks, SUVs and crossovers. By 2020, 90% of Ford’s North Amer­i­can sales will con­sist of larger ve­hi­cles with lower fuel econ­omy, be­cause noth­ing bad ever comes of that.”...

Gov MB should wake up & smell the real coffee. EPA regulations could go back to CA approved/49th state approved. This would greatly elevate the cost of California car compliance’s and then Californians would go out of the state to buy cheaper 49th state approved cars to register in California (loss of state sales taxes) New car prices are hitting ridiculous, yet still sell 17.5 M per yr. Auto OEMs have a conniption fit if it dips below 17.5 million in sales. Yet used car sell 34 M & are growing.

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/be02ee6d-7865-3956-bc48-9895d598de16/u.s.-car-buyers-to-japan:-we.html
    Advantage diesel again. Fastest trip from Pahrump to Alpine yesterday. Rarely under 75 MPH on the 15/215. Computer says 32.3 MPG. Picking up the last of our stuff before our house closes.
    edited May 2018
    Realistically, things can only stabilize and get better!

I further suspect that 75 to 81 mph (rpm being more important) are probably the sweet spots for your TDI engine. Also diesel engines really can take advantage of no fuel draw on down hills & downshifts using either A/T’s or M/T’s.

Advantage diesel also, for it might be commonly know PU trucks have the (coefficient of friction) wind slipperiness of a cinderblock.
    edited May 2018
    Advantage diesel ! Diesels just keep on winning ! (& E-15 losing @ least 5% less mpg?) https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/209b6c5a-6630-3585-b55f-8050ad63aa85/ss_trump-to-allow-year-round.html
    More pollution and worse mpg as prices rise (and will continue to do so given yesterday's geopolitical idiocy). What's not to like? Bye-bye go those shortsighted tax breaks LOLOLOLOL
    edited May 2018
    Yes! What a lot of so-called environmental types don’t acknowledge/understand are ethanol’s complete lack of emissions controls & massive EPA/CARB EXEMPTIONS. It would be funny to see if the very same folks that jammed the 10% ethanol requirement down the throats of the American PVF will speak against 5% more, 15% ethanol. It will be interesting to see if the ethanol tax breaks are eliminated to massively increased.

Basic corn prices will also rise, despite a literal over supply, with the inevitable downstream ripple effect (as will the prices for good bourbon & Tennessee whiskey, like Jack Daniels) Life is/will be good/to bad.

The other side of one hand clapping (great diesel mpg) will be 95% to 98% of the (gasoline, gasoline hybrid & EV ) PVF will lose mpg on 15% ethanol (from 10%), higher costs & 4 seasons implementation. What will go unseen & unknown are the longer term hidden costs/damage due to the increased ethanol %.
This discussion has been closed.