Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano 2004 - oil leaking

elizabeth2830elizabeth2830 Member Posts: 1
edited May 2018 in Nissan
Hi Everyone,

Last year I lost my Nissan Maxima 2014 when I lost my job and had to declare bankruptcy. I started a new job and the daily Uber Ride was costing me up between $30-50 a day, so in December I end up buying a car from one of the Usesell car places. I put $1,500 down and I got a financing at 19% for a Nissan Murano 2004 for $5,000, now almost 5 months later the car is leaking oil, I brought it to a mechanic and he said you are better off getting rid of this car, the repair is going to cost you more that the value of the car. I'm so distraught that I don't know what to do,and I don't want to loose my job, what are my options?

Answers

• azontodanceazontodance Member Posts: 14
    Did he tell you if the oil pan is broken or not?

I doubt it since it not a lower chest sedan.

I don't know why some mechanics are so mean all because they don't know how to do their job...

Older vehicles leaks oil, we just need to do the right thing to make it go away.....

My advice to you Elizabeth, Get your man or a relative to change your oil for you.
    What you need to stop the leak if oil pan is not broken is below

Since your 04 murano take 4.25 quarts of 5w-30

I suggest you buy 3 quarts of 5w-30...
    Then buy two quart of Lucas Oil Engine Stop Leak - 1 Quart per bottle

So, buy compatible oil filter from walmart
    Buy 3 quart of 5w-30
    Buy 2 bottles of Lucas Oil Engine Stop Leak (1 quart per bottle)

Drain out your old oil completely.

Change your oil filter

Then put the two quart of Lucas oil stop leak first..
    Put the 3quart oil 5w-30 motor oil.

I have fixed most of the old cars/trucks I have owned in the past with all these. Mechanic would not tell you this because they want to be lazy and make quick money....

I hope this fix your problem.
    It's a big SIN not to drive the car you love.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,742

Hi Everyone,
    I put $1,500 down and I got a financing at 19% for a Nissan Murano 2004 for $5,000, now almost 5 months later the car is leaking oil, I brought it to a mechanic and he said you are better off getting rid of this car, the repair is going to cost you more that the value of the car. I'm so distraught that I don't know what to do,and I don't want to loose my job, what are my options?

What exactly is leaking? How much oil are you going through? Is the oil that is leaking coming into contact with a hot surface like the exhaust?

Those are the first questions that need answered. There is no way for someone on the internet to advise you perfectly because that requires seeing the car first hand and maybe doing some work to prove exactly what needs done. At this point it isn't known if the repair could be done in stages starting with the most problematic leak (considering that there may be more than one) and addressing lesser concerns sometime in the future. But I can tell you what not to do and that is what was suggested in the previous post. Do NOT attempt to use a stop leak on your Murano.

A common leak area that can cause significant loss of oil on your car is the engine oil cooler and that isn't a big deal in itself. In fact it's a relatively easy repair. Where trouble can arrise is if a vehicle does have multiple leaks in addition to the oil cooler seals. Fixing one leak doesn't fix them all. As long as a vehicle owner understands that they will still see the evidence of the remaining leaks if only the biggest leak(s) are dealt with and as long as oil isn't getting on the exhaust where it could catch fire then the shop could do a limited repair. It happens all the time where a shop will try to help someone this way only to suffer for having tried when the owner expects a totally leak free result, and that might explain the shops reluctance to do anything with your car.

I don't know why some mechanics are so mean all because they don't know how to do their job...

Lot's of techs know how to do their jobs just fine, they do tend to get annoyed though when someone who doesn't pretends that they do and gives a vehicle owner terrible advice.

Older vehicles leaks oil, we just need to do the right thing to make it go away.....

It's also necessary to do no additional harm when trying.

My advice to you Elizabeth, Get your man or a relative to change your oil for you.

I know a lot of female automobile techs who would find that suggestion offensive.

Buy 3 quart of 5w-30

Change your oil filter

No, absolutely not. That is not how to deal with this vehicle problem. If you want to do something like this to your own car, fine, go right ahead. Elizabeth needs to have something done that can be relied on without any potential to cause additional issues.

I have fixed most of the old cars/trucks I have owned in the past with all these. Mechanic would not tell you this because they want to be lazy and make quick money....

That's B.S. pure and simple. She visited one shop and upon seeing the condition of her car they didn't want to do anything because they felt is wasn't in her best interest. Now that doesn't mean that there couldn't be some compromises made that could help her out for a while but there is no way to know that without seeing the car. Your suggestion of putting in a stop leak couldn't be more wrong and could easily put her into a worse situation that she is right now.

Lot's of techs know how to do their jobs just fine, they do tend to get annoyed though when someone who doesn't pretends that they do and gives a vehicle owner terrible advice.

It's also necessary to do no additional harm when trying.

I know a lot of female automobile techs who would find that suggestion offensive.

Buy 3 quart of 5w-30

Change your oil filter

No, absolutely not. That is not how to deal with this vehicle problem. If you want to do something like this to your own car, fine, go right ahead. Elizabeth needs to have something done that can be relied on without any potential to cause additional issues.

That's B.S. pure and simple. She visited one shop and upon seeing the condition of her car they didn't want to do anything because they felt is wasn't in her best interest. Now that doesn't mean that there couldn't be some compromises made that could help her out for a while but there is no way to know that without seeing the car. Your suggestion of putting in a stop leak couldn't be more wrong and could easily put her into a worse situation that she is right now.

Sorry dude, I AM NOT A MECHANIC'S FRIEND.

Sure, you are a mechanic......

Why are you so angry? Jess.... Its Mechanic like you that have no clue about solving problems without putting car owners in a broke house.

I have stopped several engine gasket leak/oil smoke when hot without visit any mechanic.

Do your research before arguing. How does Lucas Stop Leak harm engines? this is synthetic compatible..%100 petrolium

Lucas Stop Leak:
    Unique formulation of Lucas additives and base stocks designed to stop leaks in engines
    Excellent additive for worn engines, reducing engine noise and oil consumption while raising oil pressure
    Effective at stopping leaks in automatic transmissions, hydro stat transmissions or hydraulic systems
    Contains no harmful solvents
    Can extend engine oil life by 50 percent or more
    100 percent petroleum

What is your suggested solution to Lizzy's car problem? Could you provide at least a better solution
    edited May 2018

Sorry dude, I AM NOT A MECHANIC'S FRIEND.

Sure, you are a mechanic......

Why are you so angry? Jess.... Its Mechanic like you that have no clue about solving problems without putting car owners in a broke house.

Angry? LOL I am used to uninformed opinions and have put in countless hours to try and help vehicle owners understand what it really takes to do this work and keep them on the road. Affordably.

I have stopped several engine gasket leak/oil smoke when hot without visit any mechanic.

Tell you what, let's cut right to the chase. If you are so sure that you have the right answer, then you guarantee Elizabeth that it will work and that she will encounter no other problems with her engine for the next two years. If she does have a problem, you will pay for her rental car so that she can get back and forth to work and you will pay to have her car repaired. BTW, even the makers of this snake oil know better than to make a real guarantee about it.

Do your research before arguing. How does Lucas Stop Leak harm engines? this is synthetic compatible..%100 petrolium

Lucas Stop Leak:
    Unique formulation of Lucas additives and base stocks designed to stop leaks in engines
    Excellent additive for worn engines, reducing engine noise and oil consumption while raising oil pressure
    Effective at stopping leaks in automatic transmissions, hydro stat transmissions or hydraulic systems
    Contains no harmful solvents
    Can extend engine oil life by 50 percent or more
    100 percent petroleum

What is your suggested solution to Lizzy's car problem? Could you provide at least a better solution

Diagnose exactly what is wrong and fix it right the first time. That's what professional technicians do day in and day out.
    BTW...

https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10278-Engine-Stop/product-reviews/B001KXN3YQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt_rgt?pageNumber=1&filterByStar=critical
    Thank you very much thecardoc3. You are a God sent... Thanks for the Elizabeth post, I wouldn't have known you and I would have been stucked with this BMW electrical problem.

I take all I said to you here back.

To the readers,>>

thecardoc3 is a great man. He travels around the world to train mechanics. I have spent $400 on my BMW electrical problem. As soon as I took thecardoc3 chat to my inbox, he fixed my issue. He provided me a free schematic for my specific car, something that could have cost me a lot of money.

He answers every of my question I asked him. He explain everything in details. I'm now free of electrical issues.

You the man thecardoc3...