Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Oh, I LOVE the macan

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    qbrozen said:

Oh, I LOVE the macan

Same here... Cayenne, not so much

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

But you'd have to admit it is a HELLUVA lot better looking than it used to be!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Yes.... the Touareg was a much more pleasing iteration, for the first 10 years it was offered.

Dang.. almost forgot. Spotted a V10 TDI Touareg the other day.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kcfastdriverkcfastdriver Member Posts: 30
    After a lifetime of sedans, I'm finally ready for some cargo space and am looking at crossovers/small SUVs. Short drives, so leasing suits me very well. My most recent midsize sedan was really fun and responsive. Now I'm having trouble deciding between a whole lot of unexciting choices: some unattractive, some overpriced, and most underpowered. Are there any unexpected deals in midsize SUVs this month?

After a lifetime of sedans, I'm finally ready for some cargo space and am looking at crossovers/small SUVs. Short drives, so leasing suits me very well. My most recent midsize sedan was really fun and responsive. Now I'm having trouble deciding between a whole lot of unexciting choices: some unattractive, some overpriced, and most underpowered. Are there any unexpected deals in midsize SUVs this month?

What sort of price range? Because we started with "small" and now we are up to "midsize". ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'd like a payment between $300-$400 with no money down. I asked about mid because I hadn't looked there yet. Already checked out: RAV4, CX5, CRV, Rogue, Sportage, Santa Fe Sport, Tucson, and even RDX.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Take a look at Chevy Equinox too. Might be good deals on it. Very nice vehicle.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Really? I still don't trust American vehicles.

I'd like a payment between $300-$400 with no money down. I asked about mid because I hadn't looked there yet. Already checked out: RAV4, CX5, CRV, Rogue, Sportage, Santa Fe Sport, Tucson, and even RDX.

You don't like the RDX or CX-5?

What are the issues? Maybe, you don't really want a crossover? ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,440
    the domestics are quire nice now. Edge, Equinox.

you are leasing. They will all be plenty reliable.

might be a good time to get a killer deal on an RDX. The new design will be out next month.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Really? I still don't trust American vehicles.
    That rules out A LOT of vehicles! A great number of Hondas, Toyotas, Hyundais, etc are made in America.

A friend recently test drove a number of CUVs: Rogue, CRV, Mazda5 etc. she ended up with a Subaru Outback. Second favorite — the Equinox. It’s not the 90s any more.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Good points, all. In a car's first 3 years, problems are rare.

By "American", I mean mistrust of domestic car brands... Sure, they've had to improve since the bailout, but I still have friends whose Fords and Chevys give them trouble. Foreign carmakers created and have used certain best practices longer, and it's hard to believe the domestics changed that radically after doing business a certain way for decades.

The RDX is definitely nice but I haven't been able to get the payments low enough. Handles well, but the need for premium fuel, mediocre MPG and lack of smartphone integration are minuses.

I did just spot a Subaru out on the road that looked nice, not sure what it was... Don't really have a history or comfort level with the brand yet. What should I know about Subaru?
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited May 2018

Good points, all. In a car's first 3 years, problems are rare.

By "American", I mean mistrust of domestic car brands... Sure, they've had to improve since the bailout, but I still have friends whose Fords and Chevys give them trouble. Foreign carmakers created and have used certain best practices longer, and it's hard to believe the domestics changed that radically after doing business a certain way for decades.

The RDX is definitely nice but I haven't been able to get the payments low enough. Handles well, but the need for premium fuel, mediocre MPG and lack of smartphone integration are minuses.

I did just spot a Subaru out on the road that looked nice, not sure what it was... Don't really have a history or comfort level with the brand yet. What should I know about Subaru?

What about the Honda CR-V? Here's the current lease deal on the LX model. My guess is that the EX, which adds the turbo engine, CarPlay/AndroidAuto, etc. will be about $50 more a month....

Featured Special Lease
    Expires 07/05/18
    2018 CR-V Continuously Variable Transmission 2WD LX Featured Special Lease
    $259
    Per month for 36 months.
    $1,999 total due at signing.
    Includes down payment with no security deposit. Excludes taxes, title and either dealer fees or documentary service fee. For well-qualified lessees.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    Unfortunately, the only CR-V with incentives is the LX.
    The EX might be $100/mo., more.

If the RDX is too pricey, I'd look again at the CX-5.

If you can get over the domestic thing, take a look at the GMC Terrain. A lot of bang for the buck, on a lease deal.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Unfortunately, the only CR-V with incentives is the LX.
    The EX might be $100/mo., more.

If the RDX is too pricey, I'd look again at the CX-5.

If you can get over the domestic thing, take a look at the GMC Terrain. A lot of bang for the buck, on a lease deal.

I don't think the Mazda CX-5 has AndroidAuto/CarPlay integration yet.

Honda does have 2.9% financing on all CR-Vs for 60 months. With a modest downpayment you might be able to buy an EX CR-V for c. $450 a month, but I realize that's $50 a month above your target budget.

Aside from the CR-V EX, I don't think there are many entry-level SUVs that have smart phone integration. Toyota's RAV4 doesn't have that on any trim level, not even the top of the line.

But I just looked it up, and it seems that starting in 2018 the Nissan Rogue has AndroidAuto on some models. Probably a lease on a Nissan Rogue is in your budget.
    Where are you located? I'm reading that there are still good deals this month on the QX60, but incentives vary by region.

Good points, all. In a car's first 3 years, problems are rare. By "American", I mean mistrust of domestic car brands... Sure, they've had to improve since the bailout, but I still have friends whose Fords and Chevys give them trouble. Foreign carmakers created and have used certain best practices longer, and it's hard to believe the domestics changed that radically after doing business a certain way for decades. The RDX is definitely nice but I haven't been able to get the payments low enough. Handles well, but the need for premium fuel, mediocre MPG and lack of smartphone integration are minuses. I did just spot a Subaru out on the road that looked nice, not sure what it was... Don't really have a history or comfort level with the brand yet. What should I know about Subaru?
    Seriously, though, ya gotta try to get over the old-school American vs Import mentality. It is all a global market these days and all manufacturers have their problem vehicles. 

Hmmm. Sounds like maybe avoid the Honda CRV? Possible engine problems with the turbo?

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/50438/honda/cr-v/new-cr-v-cold-weather-runs-rich-gas-in-oil-multiple-complaints/p1
    qbrozen said:

Where are you located? I'm reading that there are still good deals this month on the QX60, but incentives vary by region.

Midwest--not the most competitive pricing vs. the coasts, from what I've seen.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    kyfdx said:

Yes.... the Touareg was a much more pleasing iteration, for the first 10 years it was offered.

Dang.. almost forgot. Spotted a V10 TDI Touareg the other day.

Another vehicle I'd like to own for a while.
    benjaminh said:

Hmmm. Sounds like maybe avoid the Honda CRV? Possible engine problems with the turbo?

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/50438/honda/cr-v/new-cr-v-cold-weather-runs-rich-gas-in-oil-multiple-complaints/p1

I'd heard about that. Every manufacturer may have a lemon or two, but that one sounds like a nightmare. Particularly if it becomes difficult to get rid of the vehicle.

Any thoughts on the Jeep small SUVs?
    funny, the CRV was high on the list if I got the wife to swap out this year. Now, I don't think so. especially because we do a lot of short hop driving!

Just hope it does not crop up in the new 2.0T RDX motor.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Jeeps have been 'much worse than average' regarding reliability for years, always some of the worst in Consumer Reports. I'd avoid them.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,144
    stickguy said:

funny, the CRV was high on the list if I got the wife to swap out this year. Now, I don't think so. especially because we do a lot of short hop driving!

Just hope it does not crop up in the new 2.0T RDX motor.

What's interesting is that it's only showing up in the CR-V, though the same motor is used in the Civic and Accord

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I wondered about that too. They sold a lot of those motors too in civics. So must be some key application difference.

How about a Golf SportWagen with AWD? There's one at my local dealer for just $22,000, which is c.4.7k off of msrp. A lot of car for the money! And since VW now has a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty, if you end up keeping it long-term it should work out....

https://www.bachmanvolkswagen.com/inventory/new-2018-volkswagen-golf-sportwagen-s-awd-station-wagon-3vw117au6jm751658

I like that idea

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Unless you want the higher seating of a CUV
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    suydam said:

Unless you want the higher seating of a CUV

And also not to drive a wagon.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Test drove a 2018 Buick Encore back in early March and actually really liked it. Nice handling with all the safety nannies plus a decent infotainment system. Best of all is that Sirius/XM was available. Don’t really need it since it also has Apple Carplay but like the variety of music. The new dash is nicely done and it moved when necessary. It’s the only domestic I’d consider right now to be honest and love the white color or blue. Just not ready to pull the trigger quite yet as my Golf has been repaired nicely and just got out of the hospital after being very sick. The timing is just off so will wait till the 2019’s come out.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I think they want a compact size so Equinox/Terrain are the ones to try. I hear very good things about both of them.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Higher than what though? The height wars just seem to keep escalating. If I had to choose, I'd rather drive a lower car that has great visibility all around than a higher one that you can't see out of to the sides and rear.
    But this is for someone else, not you. :)
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Hey, even if you buy that new Kenworth you've been secretly eyeing, there will be trailers higher than your cab. I think they need to start raising signs higher above traffic or on both sides of the divided highway lanes given how common heavy traffic has become.

Shifty, unfortunately a lot of cars have lousy visibility these days too. Remember that basic American principle - form over function ;)
    suydam said:

But this is for someone else, not you. :)

I speak for all humanity. :p
    Visibility is just awful in many modern cars. They do that so that they can sell you multiple cameras. You know how marketing genius works---create a problem, and then sell the solution to it. Airlines are brilliant at this sort of thing.
    It may seem an odd pairing, but I'm looking at the Rogue and the RDX, depending on which I can get at a better value. Thoughts?
    Very different cars. Need to decide what features are most important to you.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Last year for the current RDX, so you might get a decent price. I'm looking forward to the new one.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    If you like the Rogue, you might consider a slightly used one. Lots of them in fleets, so they probably depreciate a little faster than say a CRV or RAV4. I think there is a pretty big price gap between comparably equipped Rogues versus RDX.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    i wish more cars came with head up display. i test drove a few and that's a nice feature. Mazda CX5 has it but Honda crv doesn't. Honda accord touring has it. Rogue and Murano don't. 
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Drove a new Subaru Imprezza and was very impressed by it. Excellent mpgs for a CVT and it shifted like a normal auto. Comfortable driver and got it up to speed on the highway rather quickly. Unfortunately after configuring one that fit my needs and wants, came to about $30K which is a bit more than I’m looking to spend on a new vehicle. Would rather cap things at $25K including my trade-in. But knows that might be a bit unrealistic for what I really want. So right now, plan is to keep the Golf and pay off whatever hospital bills my insurance won’t cover. Then, and only then, will I think about another new vehicle. This is all subject to change if the right vehicle comes along. I mean something that I can’t pass up.
    Since I’m into VW right now, will give the new Jetta a good look. Best warranty in the business now and am hoping with the new model out, they give some super deals in a few months. It’ll just fit in our garage on my side but if and when, will deal with that issue. The new Tiguan is great also but again, on the larger side. And not really into any CPO vehicle but might have to investigate that further going forward.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    My sister is looking for a hatchback to replace her 2004 Elantra GT, which I bought new, gave to my son for college, then he sold to my sister 3 years ago. But it's at the age where a lot of stuff will need work soon and it still has some value (good interior, glossy red paint, well maintained, good rubber), so it's time to move it out of the family. (FWIW my other sister still owns a 2001 Elantra GLS I bought new in October 2000. Pretty good for a car that was $11k new!)

I'm helping my sister look for cars. She wants to stay under $10k, wants low miles (under 60k or so), automatic, likes hatchbacks but also likes high FE so doesn't want a CUV/SUV. Some cars I've found from local dealers that seem to fit are:

* 2015 Fit EX, 23k, $9999 - Has salvage title but I saw the Carfax and accident pics and the damage looks pretty minor, just the right front corner.
    * 2016 Fit LX, 31k, $9799 - Just $200 less than the EX plus more miles, so not a good buy I think although not a salvage title so it would still have warranty left.
    * 2014 Versa Note SV, 43k, $6999 - This is ideal I think for her, low payments, roomy, very well equipped (heated seats, Bluetooth etc.), only downside is salvage title (need to check out the Carfax and pics).
    * 2015 Sonic LS, 40k, $8,995 - I've driven Sonics as rentals and I liked them, but for the money I think the Note and Fits are better buys.
    * 2013 Cube, 36k, $8499 - Very roomy, but I think the Note is a better buy (and the Cube is black which she doesn't like).
    * 2013 Elantra GT, 41k, $9990 - The sentimental favorite, plus it's loaded (panoramic roof, leather etc.) so a good deal IMO.

There's many more that fit her parameters, but all with closer to 60k miles. We're going to check out some of the above on Tuesday (holiday weekend).
    the Elantra is probably a good. More substantial car at least.

If you are really comfortable with the damage and repairs, she at least seems like an OK buyer for a salvage car, if planning to keep and run into the ground.

I would not buy a vehicle with a salvage title. The Note is a great car but has none of the latest safety features so it will be a hard sell down the road. Either the 2016 Fit, which holds value well, or the 2013 Elantra sound like good buys.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I like goodies. a Fit LX has nothing on it. At least the EX comes with a moonroof. I think the Elantra, out of that bunch, is probably the nicest car.

edited May 2018
    No salvage titles. If you insist on it, however, they are worth HALF of what a clean one would cost.

IMHO, the Fit LX lacks nothing of importance. Still has power everything, bluetooth, and backup cam. 

Personally, I hate the CVT in the Note and find it dreadful to drive due to the droning it causes. 

All that said, something is wrong with that Fit LX at that price. Worth more than $11k at dealer auction, so $14k'ish retail. Unless it is not a 2016?

That is cheap for the Elantra. I would have suggested $11k as a fair price to pay.

that comment about salvage titles raises a good question. How much more of a deduct is that vs. a dirty carfax? Use Sandy's Golf as an example, since he is looking into DV. Serious enough shunt to be borderline fix or total. Say they had just decided to total it instead. Someone would have bought it, and done the exact same repair.

I think pre-accident trade in value was about 12K? so if you should not pay more than $6K if salvaged, what is the trade in with clean title but dirty carfax?

And also why the right car, for the right person, with a salvage title can still be a good buy.