Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

My transmission failed me!

jmoore919jmoore919 Member Posts: 1
edited January 2018 in Subaru
This past summer, after my previous car croaked on me, I ended up purchasing a used 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium with a 6 speed manual transmission. Had close to 70k miles on it when I got it. So far It has been a great car. The transmission shifted nicely, the car handled beautifully, and the sound system was kinda meh but not a huge deal as long as I could HEAR it. Then one day not long after I hit 74k, the transmission began to slip. When I pressed the clutch in the idle would drop and make a squealing noise. The resistance on the clutch's bite point started to fade. I could feel my transmission deteriorating as I drove it. Once I was finally able to get an appointment at the mechanic I backed it into a parking spot, the clutch became stuck to the floor and the gear shift was physically locked in reverse. According to the mechanic the clutch plate and bearing were both broken. I have no idea how it could have happened, other than severe cold weather. I'm still paying mine off and then all of a sudden this happens. Needing a car to get to work, I borrowed the money I needed to get it fixed. But now I'm debating giving it back to the dealership and getting a different car, despite hearing so many great things about Subaru from friends and family alike. I want to know people's thoughts on this. Has anyone ever had this kind of problem with their transmission on a Subaru? Did you keep your car after investing in a costly repair? Or did you trade it for something else?

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    How much was the repair? How much do you expect to get in trade for the car if you trade it in?

If you do trade it in, you're going to be rolling over what you owe on the Subaru into whatever loan you're going to have on the next vehicle. That's likely going to put you in a negative equity situation on the next car. The trade in value is quite possibly going to be several thousand dollars less than what you bought the car for.

If the repair fixed the problem, I would be likely to keep the vehicle. I wouldn't want to add the loss I know I'll be taking if I trade it in after a couple of months onto the cost of my next car.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited January 2018
    Sounds like what actually failed was the clutch throw-out bearing, and, of course, the more the clutch is allowed to slip, the faster it, too, will wear out.

Your problem has nothing to do with the transmission.

It's possible the previous owner was not a good stickshift driver, and he/she contributed to early clutch failure.

Clutches are considered expendable items, like tires--they do wear out over time. Yours was premature, but it does happen if the driver isn't skillful or has bad "clutch habits".

So the car itself may not be to blame here.

On some cars, like early Porsche Boxsters, 70K is considered good clutch life.

In any event, you're looking at about a $1,200 repair. Certainly worth doing that on a 2015 car.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Doubt cold weather has any impact on this. No doubt the problem is clutch/throw out Brg.... Transmission? No. Sounds like a repairable issue.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Mr. S. is dead on. A clutch can last 40,000 miles or 150,000 miles. The driver is the main factor. Some drivers can't start out without sllllipppping the clutch to death.

Where you drive has a difference too. If you live in Montana your clutch is going to last a whole lot longer than it would if you were a Courier in Downtown San Francisco or Seattle!
  • rustygriswoldrustygriswold Member Posts: 5
    Prior owner likely ragged on that clutch, Subaru or not.....that gonna wear it out quickly.