Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    PF_Flyer said:

On a road trip to the Cincinnati area this weekend, and it's like the LLC's have come out from winter hibernation! :o

Was it raining? I've noticed rain can give LLC's an emboldened braveness to break the law.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited May 2018
    i "heart" passing LLCs and MLCs on the right, as is mandated in the local states where the usually-ignored law is: "on a multilane highway, motorists shall drive in the rightmost available lane".

I try to keep my passing speed within 10 mph or sometimes just a few mph of the MLC/LLCs, giving them plenty of time to notice me, and to allow them time/space/safety to move to the right if they so choose.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    edited May 2018
    I had a curious situation occur last night.....

I was driving home on a four-lane (two-way, two lanes each direction, non-divided) highway, about two miles from home, and I saw some ATV riders along the side of the road looking like they were having a problem. I stopped and found out that one of the riders lost a shoe to a mud pit when he was helping another rider get his rig free. Another rider (yes, there were a group of them - four, IIRC) was rooting around in the mud trying to locate the shoe, but he could not get a purchase on it about a foot down in the muck.

I let them borrow my little recovery spade so they could dig out the shoe (which was successful, after a time!), and then gave them some paper towels and wipes to clean off their hands and arms somewhat before departing.

This whole time, I was parked on the shoulder with my flashers on. After getting into the car, I turned off the flashers, put on my left signal, checked my mirror to see a pickup just cresting a hill behind me (probably about 1,500 feet back or so), and started accelerating into the right lane. At about 50mph or so (S/L is 55), I glance into my side view again and see this guy just barrelling down on me at probably 70+ mph, still in the right lane (left was completely clear). The guy lays on his horn and just keeps coming.... ?

So, I ducked over to the shoulder again, probably going about 60 at this point, and he races by me (still in the right lane). After he went by, I took the right lane behind him. Immediately, the guy slams on his brakes, so I took the left lane and briskly passed him before settling in at 60 about a half-mile up the road. I was making a left turn another half-mile up the way, so I took the left lane again, after which he came up behind me and rode there a bit, then switched into the right lane... still holding behind me. Once I moved into the left turn lane, he bore left across the left travel lane, into the turn lane, and started to make the left onto my road from behind me sort of as I was also starting my left.

Figuring that this was a good time to avoid a road rager, I quickly darted back to the still-clear left travel lane and continued on down the road another mile or so before turning onto another artery and working my way back to my house.

That dude was strung awfully tight, yet he was far from the sharpest instrument in the orchestra!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    xwesx said:

I had a curious situation occur last night.....

I was driving home on a four-lane (two-way, two lanes each direction, non-divided) highway, about two miles from home, and I saw some ATV riders along the side of the road looking like they were having a problem. I stopped and found out that one of the riders lost a shoe to a mud pit when he was helping another rider get his rig free. Another rider (yes, there were a group of them - four, IIRC) was rooting around in the mud trying to locate the shoe, but he could not get a purchase on it about a foot down in the muck.

I let them borrow my little recovery spade so they could dig out the shoe (which was successful, after a time!), and then gave them some paper towels and wipes to clean off their hands and arms somewhat before departing.

This whole time, I was parked on the shoulder with my flashers on. After getting into the car, I turned off the flashers, put on my left signal, checked my mirror to see a pickup just cresting a hill behind me (probably about 1,500 feet back or so), and started accelerating into the right lane. At about 50mph or so (S/L is 55), I glance into my side view again and see this guy just barrelling down on me at probably 70+ mph, still in the right lane (left was completely clear). The guy lays on his horn and just keeps coming.... ?

So, I ducked over to the shoulder again, probably going about 60 at this point, and he races by me (still in the right lane). After he went by, I took the right lane behind him. Immediately, the guy slams on his brakes, so I took the left lane and briskly passed him before settling in at 60 about a half-mile up the road. I was making a left turn another half-mile up the way, so I took the left lane again, after which he came up behind me and rode there a bit, then switched into the right lane... still holding behind me. Once I moved into the left turn lane, he bore left across the left travel lane, into the turn lane, and started to make the left onto my road from behind me sort of as I was also starting my left.

Figuring that this was a good time to avoid a road rager, I quickly darted back to the still-clear left travel lane and continued on down the road another mile or so before turning onto another artery and working my way back to my house.

That dude was strung awfully tight, yet he was far from the sharpest instrument in the orchestra!

Strange story. With the left lane open, I'm not sure what his major malfunction was to begin with!

Sometimes you just have to write-off human stupidity to psychosis or neurosis. :smile:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    xwesx said:
    I had a curious situation occur last night..... I was driving home on a four-lane (two-way, two lanes each direction, non-divided) highway, about two miles from home, and I saw some ATV riders along the side of the road looking like they were having a problem. I stopped and found out that one of the riders lost a shoe to a mud pit when he was helping another rider get his rig free. Another rider (yes, there were a group of them - four, IIRC) was rooting around in the mud trying to locate the shoe, but he could not get a purchase on it about a foot down in the muck. I let them borrow my little recovery spade so they could dig out the shoe (which was successful, after a time!), and then gave them some paper towels and wipes to clean off their hands and arms somewhat before departing. This whole time, I was parked on the shoulder with my flashers on. After getting into the car, I turned off the flashers, put on my left signal, checked my mirror to see a pickup just cresting a hill behind me (probably about 1,500 feet back or so), and started accelerating into the right lane. At about 50mph or so (S/L is 55), I glance into my side view again and see this guy just barrelling down on me at probably 70+ mph, still in the right lane (left was completely clear). The guy lays on his horn and just keeps coming.... ? So, I ducked over to the shoulder again, probably going about 60 at this point, and he races by me (still in the right lane). After he went by, I took the right lane behind him. Immediately, the guy slams on his brakes, so I took the left lane and briskly passed him before settling in at 60 about a half-mile up the road. I was making a left turn another half-mile up the way, so I took the left lane again, after which he came up behind me and rode there a bit, then switched into the right lane... still holding behind me. Once I moved into the left turn lane, he bore left across the left travel lane, into the turn lane, and started to make the left onto my road from behind me sort of as I was also starting my left. Figuring that this was a good time to avoid a road rager, I quickly darted back to the still-clear left travel lane and continued on down the road another mile or so before turning onto another artery and working my way back to my house. That dude was strung awfully tight, yet he was far from the sharpest instrument in the orchestra!
    Similar story, Saturday night I was out on my bike. The road was two lanes in each direction with a lane for left turns separating opposing traffic. I was in the left side of the left lane doing between 45 and 50 (SL is 45) when I noticed an SUV pulling out of a parking lot that was to my right making a right turn. Now as he pulls out I am almost right on top of him but I figure I should be OK as I am almost 2 full lanes away. Well I was wrong as he made his right turn into the left lane (my lane) with practically no time for me to react. I was able to swerve around him but it truly was a "say it then do it" moment.

At the very next light he pulls up to me rolls down his window and apologizes, I reply that it's cool but please watch out.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Oh, wow. That is sort of this silent terror that I feel when I am out on my bike (the pedal type, mind you, but just as exposed to vehicular idiocy!). I enjoy doing it, but I feel a little paranoid all the time because you just never know when someone will take the most obvious and practical maneuver and turn it into something life-threatening!

It's fantastic that he realized his error and owned it. Certainly didn't help your situation in having to deal with his mistake, but the likelihood of him doing it again is much lower!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    So why does this thread get relegated to bottom-billing in the listings of forums.
    edited May 2018
    andres3 said:

So why does this thread get relegated to bottom-billing in the listings of forums.

Some time ago (February 2017), it seems that something broke (or was intentionally shut off?!) where the "last post date" stalled, so it no longer cycled to the top of the discussion list for those who have it bookmarked. A few of us made several mentions of this, but no action was ever taken to fix it. :(
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    elias said:

i "heart" passing LLCs and MLCs on the right, as is mandated in the local states where the usually-ignored law is: "on a multilane highway, motorists shall drive in the rightmost available lane".

I try to keep my passing speed within 10 mph or sometimes just a few mph of the MLC/LLCs, giving them plenty of time to notice me, and to allow them time/space/safety to move to the right if they so choose.

Middle lane is tricky, and honestly depends on how close together the exits are. One of our interstates here in Louisville (264/Watterson Expwy) is 4-5 lanes, with exits roughly 1 mile apart and the #4 lane actually peeling off as a ramp at times. At my typical cruise speed of 62-65 in a 55, I try to hold the #3 lane and move into #2 or even #1 as needed to pass.

As you head east of the city on I-64, there are 3 lanes each direction and at least 3 miles between exits. I like to hold the right lane there if I can, but frequently end up passing MLCs on the right and/or having to make bigger lane changes when 65 in the middle lane is passing 60 in the right lane on a hill (SL is 70)... many of those days, I decide I can't beat the MLCs and just join them.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    xwesx said:
    Oh, wow. That is sort of this silent terror that I feel when I am out on my bike (the pedal type, mind you, but just as exposed to vehicular idiocy!). I enjoy doing it, but I feel a little paranoid all the time because you just never know when someone will take the most obvious and practical maneuver and turn it into something life-threatening! It's fantastic that he realized his error and owned it. Certainly didn't help your situation in having to deal with his mistake, but the likelihood of him doing it again is much lower!
    All I can say it's not my week.  :'(  Coming home for work I am in a line of cars in the left lane. Right lane is empty but turns into a right turn only lane at the intersection. Well traffic is going through the intersection rather slowly and I am trying to move along in such a way as not to have to come to a stop or slow down enough where I have to stop. 

Well some idiot decides to pass up the long line behind me and force his way from the right turn lane into my space. Well I lay on the horn but this moron still tries to push his way into my lane. I figure that since there is a medium between the oncoming lane and us I could just take a position in it.

Now here is the kicker, as I am moving out of the lane the lady in the car in front of me waves for me to pass her. As I passed her I have her a big thanks. 

My faith in humanity may have been restored. 

Now here is the kicker, as I am moving out of the lane the lady in the car in front of me waves for me to pass her. As I passed her I have her a big thanks. 

My faith in humanity may have been restored. 

Hah! That is one cool ending!

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited May 2018
    X
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Looks like the thread reorganization brought some back from the dead.

Here's a fun instagram showing that Oz has some of the same issues seen here :) :

https://www.instagram.com/cantparkforshit/?utm_source=ig_embed
    Bump!

LOL! Resurrected. Revived. Out from the censorship box.
    Odd how that happened, maybe the offended party isn't around.

Haven't seen anything insane on the roads in awhile, other than witnessing that crash last Sunday. It's the same plodding oblivion on the streets here. I see much worse stuff when on foot.
    edited August 2018
    Interesting. This thread is still far, far down my list. Last post date says, "February 2017." :(

My wife now has a dash camera in her Forester. Now, will there ever be something interesting worth the recording? :D
    edited August 2018
    It’s been more than boring in the western front.

The so called “side shows” on the evening news are pretty funny, normally done in sanctuary cities, like Oakland, CA. One example had 8 or more side show participants blocking one of the Bay Bridge decks. There were of course many who videoed the illegal blockages, catching the license plates. Gee, already one arrest & tow job. :D
    Those blocks happen all the time in some areas (including non-sanctuary cities), and little is really done.

Saw the height of inconsiderate today, a woman in an early 00s Suburban who tossed a lit cig out her window - I won't describe more, but one can imagine.
    edited August 2018
    Indeed, it happens all the time in (some areas of) Oakland, CA. As you so obviously point out, little to nothing has/ is/ will ever be done about it. I think the reason for the arrest was because the driver got a little too exuberant and actually crashed his car, disabling it.
    Seeing a blocker crash a car would be amusing, too bad it wasn't on dashcam - Youtube would give that tens if not hundreds of thousands of views.

Makes me think of the incident several years ago in NY involving dbag blockers on two wheels, and a Range Rover. One of the blockers ended up in a wheelchair IIRC, and not surprisingly, there were a couple "undercover" blue line professionals in the crowd, who of course escaped accountability/
    edited August 2018
    Yes, I remember seeing one actual video where the motorcycle guys are actually forcing the slowing & stopping the Range Rover on a FREEWAY. One or more thugs were dismounting & approaching the Range Rover (with wife & children) with baseball bats, smashing the car & trying to rip the doors open. In another words, the Ranger Rover driver was in mortal fear of eminent bodily harm & death for 4 people. He was either not charged with or NOT found guilty of any crime or liability.

I’ve been thinking of the dash cams. It would appear their placements are truly bass ackwards. Most to the overwhelmingly majority of accidents are “run of the mill rear enders” (hit @ 180 degrees, you, me, one as “victim”) IF that is true, then actions & evidences (face, licenses plates, etc) captures are best served with 1 to 3 rearward facing cameras.
    Always good to have multiple angles, if you can swing it!

The unit I have in my wife's car is a front + rear. Kinda fun looking at the video in PiP mode.
    edited August 2018
    Correction: eminent should be imminent. I should have edited Siri a little better.
    Every "it's OK to impede traffic in the passing lane" argument I've ever heard anywhere in the world at any point in history always boils down to "I'm obeying one law, why should I have to obey any others."
    andres3 said:

Every "it's OK to impede traffic in the passing lane" argument I've ever heard anywhere in the world at any point in history always boils down to "I'm obeying one law, why should I have to obey any others."

Yeah, it's pretty complicated stuff. ;)

That's why I stick with the "considerate" rule. No matter what else is going on, if what you are doing is not having a neutral or positive effect on the overall flow of traffic around you, you're probably doing it wrong.
    Taking advantage of my wife's dash cam, I just had to share this. I happened to use her car last week due to the need to sort out some niggles with that canoe incident from the summer, and came across this useless POS that works in the auto shop next to my office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdPyvQH9K3Q

After this incident, which is not unusual behavior for him (I see him drive like this in customer vehicles as well as his own), I stopped at the shop and gave them a piece of my mind about this punk. The manager said he would talk with the employee and assured me that customer cars were NEVER driven in this manner. So, I asked if he actually watched his employees while they were test-driving these cars. Because, I do see them, regularly, from my windows, and I assured him that habitual behavior does not change just because the vehicle does....

Since then, this dude has been a lot quieter on his comings and goings, but the shenanigans do continue. :(
    And, another one from the night before. This one was rather bewildering, but no crash, so also kinda funny. Pardon the narrative, and keep your eye on the Jeep Commander at the stoplight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kh9Pfsxs-o
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I may have to get a dash cam to play with. Getting really tired of needing to be on 1000% alert when approaching a green light (red lights are apparently just suggestions) or watching right turns from left lanes and all the other assorted nonsense that passes for driving anymore

(insert primal scream HERE)

:)

PF_Flyer said:

I may have to get a dash cam to play with. Getting really tired of needing to be on 1000% alert when approaching a green light (red lights are apparently just suggestions) or watching right turns from left lanes and all the other assorted nonsense that passes for driving anymore

(insert primal scream HERE)

:)

Yes, I agree! It's disgusting to me that people cannot be bothered to even pretend to put effort into driving. I mean, we all make mistakes at times, but some of this stuff is just ludicrous! I rarely can go a day without seeing something like that above (or much, much worse!). I am stalling on doing a cam in my Q7, as I would like to sell it, but the longer it goes (about four months now) without selling, the more I think I should probably just keep it.

People who have shown interest in buying seem to think that I should be pricing it like what they would see in the L48, so I just invite them to buy one of those, bring it home, winterize it, etc., and then they can happily own the same car I'm selling knowing that they spent about $2,000 more than they needed to spend. LOL
    Escort just came out with a dash cam that connects and mounts to my already existing Escort Max radar detector. I think I might have to ask Santa to get me one to try out my first dash cam. Should be easy to integrate both the hardware and software into my life this way.
    Had two idiots within about 5 min today, gave my horn a workout.

Waiting at a light to go straight... to my left is the left turn lane, and to my right, 2 right turn lanes. As the light turns green a Taurus in the left turn lane just starts right across me to make a right turn.

Two lights down the road, I'm the first car going straight through on green, but have to cross tracks before entering the intersection. I'm maybe halfway across when an Odyssey just moseys in front of me making his "free right turn." And then he continues at a snail's pace until the second honk, at which point he brake checks me to a stop.
    ronsteve said:

Had two idiots within about 5 min today, gave my horn a workout.

Waiting at a light to go straight... to my left is the left turn lane, and to my right, 2 right turn lanes. As the light turns green a Taurus in the left turn lane just starts right across me to make a right turn.

Two lights down the road, I'm the first car going straight through on green, but have to cross tracks before entering the intersection. I'm maybe halfway across when an Odyssey just moseys in front of me making his "free right turn." And then he continues at a snail's pace until the second honk, at which point he brake checks me to a stop.

They always seem to show up in bunches, don't they? I guess herd mentality goes hand-in-hand with idiocy! And, when it comes to drivers like that minivan, their entitlement mentality does not all them to be wrong in any situation. Ergo, you deserved what he gave you. LOL :p
    Were you a fan of Inconsiderate Drivers before it stopped refreshing properly? Join us on Inconsiderate Drivers II; don't post here!

Thanks; we look forward to seeing you again!
    So the original outlasted the Sequel!
    edited March 2019
    Yeah, what a flippin' joke that was. Kinda pisses me off, TBH. Mods should ban ruking1 and unlock my thread. Or, even better, let us moderate our own threads (e.g., we make it, we mod it).

I would create another thread (e.g., version 3) except that I'm sure he would turn himself loose in there, too.
    xwesx said:

Yeah, what a flippin' joke that was. Kinda pisses me off, TBH. Mods should ban ruking1 and unlock my thread. Or, even better, let us moderate our own threads (e.g., we make it, we mod it).

I would create another thread (e.g., version 3) except that I'm sure he would turn himself loose in there, too.

LOL! Why do you think it is "inconsiderate drivers" devolves into something not directly related?
    Any thread he infests tends to suffer the same fate (in my experience). :s
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Looks like this thread is alive, but no posting. There have to be instances of inconsiderate drivers...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Today on the way to work... a couple of brake checks on the passing lane, and when I find room to pass the line on the right (i.e. no slow uphill trucks) there's a pre-CVT Altima with more than a few battle scars. Driver is doing about 55 (SL is 65) and texting.

Friday... a 2-lane through street with a 45mph SL, and an oncoming Fusion driver decides I should stop to allow her to make a left across me into an old folks' home. I was probably hard to see barreling toward her at the insane speed of 40 mph. I guess the honk I gave her qualifies as a rage honk because I was too busy braking hard to lay on the horn.

Seen on the bike Monday... bobtail tractor rage-honked an oncoming driver who dared to make a protected left in front of his right on red. Road they were turning on to had only one lane in their direction, and tractor's stop line was set back about 30 blinding feet for RR tracks and posted "NO TURN ON RED."

Now that I think back to my last legit near-miss on the bike, which was last month, that was also a Fusion driver. He apparently waited long enough to make a left into a sketchy apartment complex and didn't care that I was cycling downhill at 30 mph. Evasive action took me into the oncoming lane, where I was lucky that the person waiting behind him didn't accelerate immediately toward me. Needless to say I yelled a few choice words over my shoulder as I rode away.

There's rarely a shortage of stupid on the roads here in Louisville. And I didn't even spend any real time near Churchill or Downtown during the Derby Festival.

Looks like this thread is alive, but no posting. There have to be instances of inconsiderate drivers...

It is on life support. Postable, but it does not sort itself back to the top of the thread list for recent posts. One has to go searching for it, which generally takes it out of the consciousness of those that might have it in their tagged lists.
    I had a Prius driver flip me off.

My offense???

I didn't slam on my brakes so they could safely unsafely cut me off and complete their unsafe lane change into the fastest passing lane on a multilane CA freeway. All I did was maintain my constant and readily apparent speed for the last 10 minutes.

1) They didn't need to change lanes immediately.
    2) They weren't going much faster than anyone else (less than 5 faster than the car in front of them).
    3) I was only going about 10 MPH faster than them.
    4) All they had to do was tap their brakes a bit, and move in behind me at their slower pace. The swerving was their fault for initiating their lane change prior to checking their mirrors.
    5) I have a tendency to allow people to "self-correct their mistake" prior to me hitting the brakes. Thankfully, they did.
    6) But I got the finger for it.
    edited June 2019
    Congratulations. Now you know that the entitlement is real! :p
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Is anyone reading this discussion?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Is anyone reading this discussion?

Yes, I do when I think to look down my tracked list this far. The problem with the discussion is that the post count update process for it just doesn't work anymore. It's a moderator conspiracy, though they won't admit to such. :p
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    I happened to see a good one this morning.

The road from the AC Expressway to my office is pretty rural with a good 1.5-2 mile stretch with no cross streets.

SL is 45. I was moving along above the limit at around 57-58 MPH. I was keeping pace with an early 2000s Chevy truck who was tailgating a bigger delivery truck.

Sooo... nearly 15 MPH above the limit wasn't good enough for him. He guns it and goes for the pass (no passing zone). Well the roads were a touch damp since it rained last night and was really humid this morning. I watch the back end nearly come around on him. Luckily the delivery truck slowed down to let him in otherwise he would have probably hit the oncoming car.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited August 2019
    Brilliant move!

Yesterday morning, after dropping off my daughter at school, I came to a nearby light-controlled intersection where the light was non-operational (totally blacked out). Apparently, one driver didn't notice the light was not functioning and drove straight through the intersection as if they had the green light: BAM! Slams into the side of another vehicle crossing perpendicular. I only saw the aftermath, mere moments after it must have happened because no emergency vehicles and other vehicles were just pulling over to assist, but both vehicles, a full size pickup and a large delivery or RV van, were definitely totals. I'm sure it is on my dashcam, if it doesn't get over-written by the time I get it home to check it.

There was an impressive debris field around the crash site. I ended up driving through it to cross the intersection; enough people were pulling over that I didn't feel I could be of additional help, nor was I a witness to the crash itself.

The good news? If the occupants were injured, the hospital was only two blocks away. ;)
    Intersection blockers, who enter the intersection deliberately knowing they have 0% chance of clearing the intersection before their light turns red.
    andres3 said:

Intersection blockers, who enter the intersection deliberately knowing they have 0% chance of clearing the intersection before their light turns red.

Entering an intersection to make a left turn under such circumstances is perfectly legal in most states. Not sure about California but it is legal here in Illinois.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    Probably the only way you are making a left turn here in NJ (on roads where lefts are actually allowed) unless you are one of the lucky ones to get the arrow.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Agreed. Pulling into the intersection to wait for traffic to clear for a left turn is the proper way to do it. Of course, those that dally out there to make the turn well after the light change are certainly inconsiderate, they still have right of way because of their position (e.g., traffic in the intersection has right of way).